PDA

View Full Version : Charging Handle for AR...

Baga
05-20-2011, 8:57 AM
Sometimes I feel like the charging handle is a little difficult to pull and sometimes it doesn't feel like a smooth pull. What type of charging handle upgrade do you have on your AR or what do you recommend?

VacaDuck
05-20-2011, 9:00 AM
BCM Gunfighter, large latch.

glock_this
05-20-2011, 9:05 AM
lube would likely help a lot before you go swapping a CH - not just the CH, but the BCG as well can take lots of lube

prerunners4life
05-20-2011, 9:13 AM
Bcm mid or large latch

jimmykan
05-20-2011, 9:16 AM
I like to lubricate the channel that the charging handle rides in with grease like Slide Glide or Weapon Shield Grease. I can get messy, but it definitely makes for a smooth pull.

The advantage of an upgraded charging handle is usually increased durability and easy-unlatching with one hand or gloved finger. The pull will feel the same.

IPSICK
05-20-2011, 9:18 AM
I like to lubricate the channel that the charging handle rides in with grease like Slide Glide or Weapon Shield Grease. I can get messy, but it definitely makes for a smooth pull.

The advantage of an upgraded charging handle is usually increased durability and easy-unlatching with one hand or gloved finger. The pull will feel the same.

+1, I grease the charging handle also. It's the only thing I grease on my AR. Oil for everything else.

Fate
05-20-2011, 10:22 AM
GunFighter Medium Handle (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204%20556.htm) and some Slip2000 (http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000-EWL.html).

^^ Pretty much my preference too.

tomd1584
05-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Sometimes I feel like the charging handle is a little difficult to pull and sometimes it doesn't feel like a smooth pull. What type of charging handle upgrade do you have on your AR or what do you recommend?

thats because there is a buffer and spring resisting it.

If you want to upgade, the BCM is about the best. the LMT enhanced is a pretty good one too.

StrikeIndustries
05-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I personally use the PRI charging handle and I agree with everyone else, probably could use some good 'ol lube

bohoki
05-20-2011, 11:27 AM
i suppose that is the only thing i dont like about the ar-15 it just kind of seems tacked on ive never broken one but they seem fragile to me

and i too feel the grittyness

NorCalDustin
05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Use grease and it should become about as smooth as glass.

762.DEFENSE
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM

+1 :cool2:

Baga
05-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try the grease first. And maybe change the charging handle to get a better ease of accessing the latch sometime later.

Droppin Deuces
05-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I will say the same thing to you that I say to my brother everytime I pick up one of his guns. "You need to lube your s**t, dude."

JayBeeJay
05-20-2011, 3:04 PM
BCM GunFighter Mod 3 or 4. PRI Gas Buster is nice as well for almost twice the price of the BCM. +1 for greasing the channel the CH rides in.

C_1
05-20-2011, 3:13 PM
Pull back the charging handle on both sides, not just the latch side, and lube her up well!

If you want, like others suggested, the BCM gunfighter is good stuff..

nrvnqsrxk
05-20-2011, 3:27 PM
BCM Gunfighter! Mmm beefy.

arc
05-20-2011, 3:36 PM
Not to derail or anything, but I've heard from many mechanically inclined individuals that in general ::

"If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it."

Does this generally hold true for the AR system as well?

-James

SureShot241
05-20-2011, 3:40 PM
I would just lube the buffer spring with white lithium grease and oil the charging handle. That should make a HUGE difference, I know it did with my AR.

r6raff
05-20-2011, 4:53 PM
+1 BCM Gunfighter CH, I prefer the Medium. Rock solid CH that you can just rack as hard as you can. I never pull the CH from both sides, just use the outside of my index finger on my left hand and rack it. This will always be one of the first mods I do to any one of my future ARs, for the price you cant beat it.

Crowesnest
05-20-2011, 7:25 PM

:iagree:

FourLoko
05-20-2011, 8:03 PM
save your money, you don't need a BCM blah blah

lift some weights, be mean to it, YANK IT!

IPSICK
05-20-2011, 9:43 PM
Not to derail or anything, but I've heard from many mechanically inclined individuals that in general ::

"If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it."

Does this generally hold true for the AR system as well?

-James

The bolt carrier slides and I wouldn't grease it.

JayBeeJay
05-20-2011, 11:12 PM

You don't need it, but if your running a magnifier or a something that takes up your rear rail space it is a definite plus having a Mod 3 as a CH.

7.62 Charlie
05-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Shoot it more often. That will loosen it up :D

NorCalDustin
05-20-2011, 11:56 PM
The bolt carrier slides and I wouldn't grease it.
You should... If you dont, your missing out.

These are a couple of reasons I grease up, instead of using oil:

Grease does not burn off like oil
Since grease does not burn off like oil, parts tend to wear much slower and thus tend to last longer (because everything stays lubricated).
Grease is much cheaper, it costs me about $1.50 for 1lb of grease, Vs. $13 for 4oz of Slip 2000... ---You think this doesn't matter? I can burn through a bottle of Slip 2000 in a hot weekend of shooting with a buddy. Where as well only use a little grease in each of our guns for the entire weekend.
Grease tends to make the parts feel like they're sliding on glass... It seems much smoother than oil (in my experience)
Grease seems to easily wipe off along with a good deal of carbon and other cr@p making cleaning much easier

Bottom line, for those of us who use grease almost exclusively... We lube less, clean less, and shoot more.

That's of course not a complete list, but it's a good start.

Should you use grease on everything? No.

Just remember (In general), If it slides --use grease; if it rotates --use oil.

If you don't believe me, go drop a $1.50 on a pound of grease and give it a go... You'll thank me later.

Z.1
05-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Who is your preferred grease supplier?
(where does one purchase a lb of grease?)

RLTW
05-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try the grease first. And maybe change the charging handle to get a better ease of accessing the latch sometime later.

How new is your rifle? It will take alittle bit for it to break in.. Just like hearing the spring in the buffer tube.

Lube it well and just shoot the crap out of it. It will break in to the upper and create it's own wear marks.

you'll notice a difference after about 300-500 rounds. Oil your buffer spring as well.

evidens83
05-21-2011, 11:37 AM
BCM Gunfighter mod 4

Droppin Deuces
05-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I use one of these. I guess I'm lucky I have good hand-eye coordination so I don't need the giant latch.
http://shop.greatlakesshooterssupply.com/images/charging_handle_assembly.jpg
You guys and your big latches. Do you need big button phones, too?:p
http://www.scsdb.org/outreach/images/ampPhone.gif

MrPlink
05-21-2011, 12:50 PM

you read it backwards. So of us, myself included) are too manly for a stock CH.
We break them, thus we use the BCM/VLTOR gunfighter

MrPlink
05-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Grease seems to easily wipe off along with a good deal of carbon and other cr@p making cleaning much easier
]

true, but lets not forget that its the same phenomenon that makes grease attract dirt and not dissipate it in the same way oil can, so you have to be careful if its being applied to an area that gets particularly dirty, and if you do you have to be really good about regular cleaning.

there is an upside and downside to everything

jm13690
05-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Anyone find a good price the BCM Charging handle lately? I got mine for a good deal, but I am wanting to get a large one.

NorCalDustin
05-21-2011, 12:59 PM
1) I really like the Lucas Red N Tacky High temp wheel bearing grease... But, I always buy whatever high temp wheel bearing grease is on sale.

2) Your local auto parts store will sell it. Just walk in there and ask for it, they'll show you where it is.

You'll have a few options including having it in a cardboard tube (which is okay, just cut down its length as you use it and put the cap back on), in a squeeze tube (its a little more expensive this way), and in a tub (which is my preferred option because they stack really nicely, its always easy to get out, and its typically a little cheaper per oz)...

(Remember that 16oz == 1lb)

Generally, the regular price will be about or under $3... If you pay attention you'll probably find it on sale for $1.50 or less. You'll probably find that around certain holidays that it tends to go on sale (as do most things)... I.E., Fathers Day, Memorial Day weekend, 4th of July, etc...

I suggest that people at least try it. Worst case you wasted $1.50, best case you'll save yourself a lot of money in the long run (Especially if you shoot a lot).

NorCalDustin
05-21-2011, 1:02 PM
true, but lets not forget that its the same phenomenon that makes grease attract dirt and not dissipate it in the same way oil can, so you have to be careful if its being applied to an area that gets particularly dirty, and if you do you have to be really good about regular cleaning.

there is an upside and downside to everything
Yes... But, this downside can be significantly mitigated by using minimal amounts and only lubing where its needed.

You are correct though in cases in which people over grease. I've seen it before.

Anyone find a good price the BCM Charging handle lately? I got mine for a good deal, but I am wanting to get a large one.
Nope... I've been looking too.

PEBKAC
05-21-2011, 1:04 PM
Local automotive store, they should sell tubs of the stuff. Make sure to get the "high heat, high pressure" variety.

Baga
05-21-2011, 4:46 PM
How new is your rifle? It will take alittle bit for it to break in.. Just like hearing the spring in the buffer tube.

Lube it well and just shoot the crap out of it. It will break in to the upper and create it's own wear marks.

you'll notice a difference after about 300-500 rounds. Oil your buffer spring as well.

My rifle is still new, so maybe I will break in the upper a little more. I do want a slight larger latch to release.

Anyone know what the difference is between the BCM Mod3 and Mod4?

Sniper3142
05-21-2011, 7:32 PM
People who say the standard CH is fine are correct...

to a point.

The standard Charging Handle works fine in most regards but is weak when used by the left/non-shooting hand. It will flex, twist, and possibly warp or break under such use.

That is the main reason why I prefer the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 (Medium) Charging Handle.

It allows easy one handed operation like this...

http://vtsupply.com/images/Mod4-15-2.jpg

r6raff
05-21-2011, 7:53 PM
Like others have said, the BCM CH really shines for the fact you can easily rack with your weak hand without compromising the action or the charging handle. The bonus is the larger latch, and has nothing to do with being incompetent or uncoordinated. I like how people act all macho because they use a standard CH... Good for you guys, I guess you never use scopes or speed loaders, probably don't drive places or use computers... Cause it's macho not to use things that are convenient and make things easier right =P I just kid you guys.

Anyways I have seen standard CH get bent and broken, and the BCM is a pretty inexpensive upgrade that just give peace of mind.

To the guy who asked, the difference between mod3 and mod4 is the size of the latch. Mod4 is medium, Mod3 is large. I personally prefer Mod4.

MrPlink
05-21-2011, 7:54 PM
exactly, you can operate it similar to a side charger.

Droppin Deuces
05-21-2011, 8:00 PM
I don't know. Maybe I just have dainty hands or something, but I have zero problems working my standard charging handle just like in the picture with butt of the gun against my shoulder. Just did it a good 30 times with various set-ups and didn't pop myself in the nose once.

RoundEye
05-21-2011, 10:34 PM
BCM Gunfighter Med or Large.

Fate
05-22-2011, 12:32 AM
I don't know. Maybe I just have dainty hands or something, but I have zero problems working my standard charging handle just like in the picture with butt of the gun against my shoulder. Just did it a good 30 times with various set-ups and didn't pop myself in the nose once.

30 times? :smilielol5:

THIS is what you need to worry about...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_k07pirzBU34/TFMDVaUjj2I/AAAAAAAAFdo/jLvq42D_72k/s1600/blown+latch+480.jpg

The BCM Gunfighter handles the off kilter torque generated by one hand operation. Standard charging handles can fail like the above picture.

BIRDHUNTER757
05-22-2011, 7:32 AM
Tetra gun grease!

http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=1

NorCalDustin
05-22-2011, 8:36 AM
Tetra gun grease!

http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=1
Look... There is no special factory that "gun grease" is made in. They're all made in the same place.

Thats $5 for 1oz. I can get 3 pounds, or 48oz of grease for LESS than $5.

Trust me, that will work no better or worse than some other high temp grease in your auto parts store.

blazeaglory
05-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Local automotive store, they should sell tubs of the stuff. Make sure to get the "high heat, high pressure" variety.

mobil 1 syntec all purpose high temp pink tube:laugh:

Lagduf
05-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Anyone know what the difference is between the BCM Mod3 and Mod4?

The only difference between the various gunfighter mods are the size of the latch.

3 is large, 4 is medium, 5 is small.

Dogblast
05-22-2011, 11:01 AM
F7If6YEQI just used a Badger Ordinance latch.. works great - theres a demo on youtube.. good luck.. and dont over lube your charging handle, you'll go blind and grow hair on your palms..