PDA

View Full Version : .338 LM AR15 upper

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 1:38 AM
Who makes a .338 LM upper for an AR15 and what kind of groups are the capable of? I am considering buying one but don't know what company makes one that is worth the cost.

BigfootHunter
05-20-2011, 1:57 AM
Count me in as interested as well...

RenegadeRebel
05-20-2011, 1:58 AM
Personally, I think that if your willing to drop many many thousands of dollars on 338 ammo, a top quality scope (essential), top of the line range finder, ballistics computer, and what ever else you need to shoot extreme long range with any precision and accuracy; then why not drop 5 or 6 G's on a good bolt gun so you have a solid shooting foundation to build on?

Who knows...You might already have all that stuff, and maybe your tired of shooting your AI AWM single shot at 2000 yards...

But if you convert an AR to 338 your going to be stuck with single shot anyway; and the platform wont be accurate compared to a bolt. Honestly, if you shoot your gun like it was meant to be shot, you could easily pour 50k down the tube in ammo alone. The cost of a quality rifle is nothing in comparison to all the rounds you will be sending down range.

Like I said, I have no idea as for your intentions on getting an upper in 338; but im really hoping its not because you want to save money...

Extended long range is for those with very very deep pockets...Which is why I haven't shot passed 1000 yards yet.

shadowofnight
05-20-2011, 8:47 AM
You can get a new Savage BA110 in 338 Lapua for the cost of one of those specialized uppers, even cheaper if you buy used ( I have seen 2 in the 1,600 to 1,750 range , people buy them and dont want to spend the $$$ to feed it factory ammo...you NEED to reload for this cartridge ) .

As mentioned by Renegade , you want your precision rifle with a solid platform, not some hinged/pinned AR lower acting as just a surrogate trigger.

Also, the weight and very efficient brake on the Savage has it kicking less than a 20 inch unbraked 308...everybody that shot it at the Savage shoot was amazed.

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 9:11 AM
I already reload so that isn't an issue. I was considering the upper because I have heard they can be sub MOA and I figured it might be easier to sell than a complete rifle if I needed too.

I have seen the BA110 and I liked it.

What do you guys think of the Remington 700 .338?

killshot44
05-20-2011, 9:17 AM
Who makes a .338 LM upper for an AR15 and what kind of groups are the capable of? I am considering buying one but don't know what company makes one that is worth the cost.

I don't see anything in the OP's post that asks for a recommendation of Semi Auto vs Bolt Gun.

Either people can't read or just can't help themselves from giving unsolicited advice.

But if you convert an AR to 338 your going to be stuck with single shot anyway; and the platform wont be accurate compared to a bolt

And how do you think that .338 single-shot Upper is charged? It IS a bolt-action.
:banghead:

SoCalG
05-20-2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp - .338 LP AR rifle

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM

I know of the Bad News AR but I'm talking about bolt action uppers for AR15s.

SoCalG
05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I know of the Bad News AR but I'm talking about bolt action uppers for AR15s.

Understood - but I agree with RenegadeRebal. Personally, if you're shooting a cartridge like .338 you're shooting long range and will want accuracy. Why not buy a complete rifle that's components are matched to achieve the required results?

as already mentioned- the Savage BA110 in 338 Lapua is a great "bang for the buck"

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 1:28 PM
Understood - but I agree with RenegadeRebal. Personally, if you're shooting a cartridge like .338 you're shooting long range and will want accuracy. Why not buy a complete rifle that's components are matched to achieve the required results?

as already mentioned- the Savage BA110 in 338 Lapua is a great "bang for the buck"

I answered that earlier. I am not dead set on the upper. I am just looking into it.

Besides if I was going to spend $5k on the rifle it wouldn't be an AR type.

762.DEFENSE
05-20-2011, 1:31 PM

That's one sexy rifle :eek:

RenegadeRebel
05-20-2011, 1:39 PM
I don't see anything in the OP's post that asks for a recommendation of Semi Auto vs Bolt Gun.

Either people can't read or just can't help themselves from giving unsolicited advice.

And how do you think that .338 single-shot Upper is charged? It IS a bolt-action.
:banghead:

No duh, But I would not consider that a bolt GUN. A real bolt gun has a bedded stock and action, not some dinky pinned together POS. No one can argue that a real bolt gun like a AI would not be way more accurate then a 338 upper...:censored:

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 2:02 PM
No duh, But I would not consider that a bolt GUN. A real bolt gun has a bedded stock and action, not some dinky pinned together POS. No one can argue that a real bolt gun like a AI would not be way more accurate then a 338 upper...:censored:

Do you have proof of that? What kind of groups do the bolt action uppers produce?

SoCalG
05-20-2011, 2:09 PM
I answered that earlier. I am not dead set on the upper. I am just looking into it.

Besides if I was going to spend $5k on the rifle it wouldn't be an AR type.

OK - I guess we don't totally understand what you're trying to accomplish, and that's ok- it's you're money so you do what you want with it!

FYI....I really like the 6.8 WC recon, but the rounds are very expensive, so I will probably go with their 7.62

artmachine
05-20-2011, 2:09 PM
try:

http://www.tactilite.com/

SoCalG
05-20-2011, 2:12 PM
try:

http://www.tactilite.com/

That's a nice choice- especially if mated to a Mega Arms billet lower!

brando
05-20-2011, 2:16 PM
If you're trying to go the economical route, get a Savage or Armalite and call it a day.

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 2:53 PM
If you're trying to go the economical route, get a Savage or Armalite and call it a day.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest but I know there are members here that shoot these uppers in .50 BMG or .510 DTC and wanted to know if anyone had experience with the .338 LM versions. I just happened to see a couple and think they are cool. Would I rather have a custom rig built, yes, but I can't afford one.

How do the 700 MLR , BA110 and AR30 all compare?

jokat989
05-20-2011, 4:54 PM

can i et that with a 16 inch bbl and a quad rail? lol
that would be the best assault rife ever

killshot44
05-20-2011, 5:05 PM
I would not consider that a bolt GUN.

Good for you.........:rolleyes:

They're ALL technically bolt-guns, some just have a handle for manual operation.

carnelianbay
05-20-2011, 5:11 PM

To the OP: Tunis at Metal Dog Tactical in San Jose had one in stock the last time I was there. It's pretty heavy.

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 5:45 PM
To the OP: Tunis at Metal Dog Tactical in San Jose had one in stock the last time I was there. It's pretty heavy.

The weights a good thing. It will help absorb recoil.

peterhodges
05-20-2011, 6:32 PM
i don't know how it compares, but I put together a 700 that will shoot ragged holes at 200m over a sandbag with handloads... for maybe a $1000 into it total. I like it a lot.

My buddy has the Armalite...it is a little heavier and has the sherman tank break, but I like shooting my rifle better ;). Being a 700 it's basicaly a hunting rifle with a target stock. And it cost a lot less.

I am more accurate with my rifle, but then, I worked up a load for it.

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 7:18 PM
i don't know how it compares, but I put together a 700 that will shoot ragged holes at 200m over a sandbag with handloads... for maybe a $1000 into it total. I like it a lot.

My buddy has the Armalite...it is a little heavier and has the sherman tank break, but I like shooting my rifle better ;). Being a 700 it's basicaly a hunting rifle with a target stock. And it cost a lot less.

I am more accurate with my rifle, but then, I worked up a load for it.

What is your 700 chambered in?

peterhodges
05-20-2011, 9:12 PM
What is your 700 chambered in?

It's actually 338RUM, but that is pretty much exactly the same as 338LM. That's why I chimed in...anyways, I am shooting the lapua 250gr fmj at ~3025fps for example.

I am not an expert, but the thing about something like a 700 is you can get the barrel with the weight, length, and rifling you want on there for a reasonable price. And you can keep tweeking that platform pretty much forever. It's a much more custom setup at a fraction of the cost. Well, you can dump as much cash into it as you want, I suppose!

I would love an autoloader in that cartridge, but if you are stuck with a bolt gun you may as well take full advantage of it.

C.G.
05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I got my .338 LM upper here:
http://www.ferret50.com/ordering.html

Heavy bull barrel, more accurate than anything else I've got.

I had a useless FAB-10 lower so did not have to pay any more DROS fees and since the bolt catch needs to be removed for the upper to fit the FAB-10 is perfect for the job.

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 11:44 PM
It's actually 338RUM, but that is pretty much exactly the same as 338LM. That's why I chimed in...anyways, I am shooting the lapua 250gr fmj at ~3025fps for example.

I am not an expert, but the thing about something like a 700 is you can get the barrel with the weight, length, and rifling you want on there for a reasonable price. And you can keep tweeking that platform pretty much forever. It's a much more custom setup at a fraction of the cost. Well, you can dump as much cash into it as you want, I suppose!

I would love an autoloader in that cartridge, but if you are stuck with a bolt gun you may as well take full advantage of it.

I know that Remington makes the 700 in .338 LM but I haven't heard much about them.