PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for 20-24" Complete Varmint Upper Assembly

marxdspot
12-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi All.

I'm just about ready to begin my new toy project. I was thinking about building a basic varmint AR and attaching the famed U-15 stock. My wife finally agreed to help me get this new toy for X-mas and so I was looking into purchasing and getting this thing set up right away. I didn't wanna bother building the upper so I was looking around for a reasonably priced 20-24" varmint/bulled barrel upper. I saw a couple of DPMS 20-24" Varmint Complete Upper Assemblies w/ bolt/ carrier/charging handle from Midway USA for less than $430. Unfortunately, they're out of stock until January of '07. Does anyone have any suggestions in where I could a reasonably priced Complete 20-24" Varmint Upper Assembly for less than $450. I'm not very particular about the brand and am looking for something very basic. I can easily get the lowers and lower kits local, but it's upper assemblies that's gonna kill me money wise. Thanks in advance any suggestions, my fellow Cali Shooters.

Stavros
12-06-2006, 1:27 AM
Well before anybody comes in here and starts flaming away about buying cheap uppers to dissuad you, Ill let you know that I went with a JT distributing upper in 24 inch 1:8 and it shoots as capable as me and the ammo I feed it. I think their basic varmint uppers from 16-24" nonfluted start at $375, but I paid more since I went with the badger handguard and fluting.

Between me and 4 friends who have different types of JT uppers, we have had no problems, (except for a few FTF since one guy forgot to lube after 1000 rounds and 3 weeks time)

You can also go to Model1 sales for cheaper but I have heard things about them from the board, but they are an even cheaper alternative.

five.five-six
12-06-2006, 5:45 AM
the midway dpms 24 has no dust cover or forward assist, that is part of why it is so cheep. I have one and it shoots about 1/2 moa. however it comes with a disclamer that it may shoot as bad as 1 1/2 moa. you shuld get sub moa groups out of it just make sure you break it in right. wait till january and get it if it is what you want. start looking ffor glass. super sniper 10x is a nice fit for that upper. both are good for about 300 m

marxdspot
12-06-2006, 6:53 AM
the midway dpms 24 has no dust cover or forward assist, that is part of why it is so cheep. I have one and it shoots about 1/2 moa. however it comes with a disclamer that it may shoot as bad as 1 1/2 moa. you shuld get sub moa groups out of it just make sure you break it in right. wait till january and get it if it is what you want. start looking ffor glass. super sniper 10x is a nice fit for that upper. both are good for about 300 m
Thanks...great minds think alike...I've already ordered the super sniper before this thread. Also, thanks...I didn't know dmps didn't have a forward assist. That'll be something that I'll have to think about. :confused:

five.five-six
12-06-2006, 6:57 AM
Thanks...great minds think alike...I've already ordered the super sniper before this thread. Also, thanks...I didn't know dmps didn't have a forward assist. That'll be something that I'll have to think about. :confused:
if you keep your rifle clean, you will not need it

Sheldon
12-06-2006, 7:23 AM
These RRA sound pretty good for the money....$540 though.
http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails.cfm?inventorynumber=1284

joel1316
12-06-2006, 8:01 AM
I've got a DPMS upper that shoots great! No need for dust cover or forward assist...

maxicon
12-06-2006, 9:32 AM
Well before anybody comes in here and starts flaming away about buying cheap uppers to dissuad you, Ill let you know that I went with a JT distributing upper in 24 inch 1:8 and it shoots as capable as me and the ammo I feed it. I think their basic varmint uppers from 16-24" nonfluted start at $375, but I paid more since I went with the badger handguard and fluting.

Between me and 4 friends who have different types of JT uppers, we have had no problems, (except for a few FTF since one guy forgot to lube after 1000 rounds and 3 weeks time)

I've got 2 JT uppers - one varmint and one HBAR - and they've both been great. No problems, low cost, everything works fine.

They're the best bet in the inexpensive market. The resale value is not as good as the name brand uppers, but if you just want a good quality inexpensive upper to shoot, you can't beat them.

max

Harbinger
12-06-2006, 9:44 AM
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but for my Fulton FAR15 lower I bought a Fulton Predator 24" upper in 1/12. It shoots about 3/4 MOA with Ultramax 40gr varmint. I would recommend it to anyone.

Kills squirrels dead.

Mike

Prc329
12-06-2006, 9:47 AM
I have a DPMS Upper with forward assist. I like the unit. I paid a little more since it has those pieces. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I like what I see. It weights a ton. Perfect bench/varmint gun.

mltrading
12-06-2006, 10:23 AM
If you like the price offered by DPMS, you got to be patient. Such configuration is sold fast at such price.

The other choice is RRA 24" varmint upper. RRA usually ship pretty fast.

Sydwaiz
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
if you keep your rifle clean, you will not need it

You might if you want to quietly chamber a round when hunting coyotes.

Fjold
12-06-2006, 12:34 PM
M-AParts.com has complete 24" bull barreled varminter upper assemblies for $350

12-06-2006, 7:36 PM
I was thinking of putting a 24" on one of my OLLs. What do you guys think of the Bushmaster set up?

vrejshah209
12-06-2006, 8:46 PM
For the money the Bushmaster Varminter upper is a great buy, check out this review http://www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster_Varminter.htm