PDA

View Full Version : Question for AR owners

Ready4whenSHTF
05-19-2011, 7:06 PM
I recently moved to the state and I was looking for something like this Bushmaster.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/948940022/Guns/Rifles/Bushmaster-Rifles/Complete-Rifles/Bushmaster_Carbon_15_223_w_Red_Dot.htm

Something light like that. It weighs about 5 pounds. Any suggestions?

pontiacpratt
05-19-2011, 7:14 PM
Pencil 16" barrel on a plum crazy lower?
Not sure on actual weight I'm sure someone can chime in... my AR is kinda heavy so I'm not the guy to talk to for a light AR. lol

UserM4
05-19-2011, 7:16 PM
The heaviest part of an AR is the barrel. Look for a lightweight barrel (aka pencil barrel) upper. If you don't want a front sight, install a low profile gas block to shave some more weight like on that Bushy. Use a standard collapsible stock like on that Bushy as well. Everything else isn't gonna make much difference.

Josh3239
05-19-2011, 7:16 PM
Had one, liked it a lot. Ironically people bag on it, yet love Plum Crazy. Go figure, but this is Calguns so not much surprise. Anyways, they are super lightweight, not much of a Bushmaster fan so YMMV. Also look into Plum Crazy. If this is your first AR I'd suggest getting a real one, take it from someone who's first gun was a Carbon 15, you'll want aluminum at some point.

Ready4whenSHTF
05-19-2011, 7:20 PM
Why will I want aluminum? My last one was aluminum.

pontiacpratt
05-19-2011, 7:33 PM
Why will I want aluminum? My last one was aluminum.

If you get an all plastic one how are you going to bash Zombies on the head and expect your rifle to survive it? lol;)

Colt-45
05-19-2011, 7:42 PM
The Stag Ar-15 was light enough for me. Went from that to a heavy M6A3. It ain't so bad.

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 7:47 PM
Plumcrazy lower = $150+DROS $25, +$50 FFL fee =$225
http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=6 and BM plastic upper shipped to your house for $650ish

Colt-45
05-19-2011, 7:55 PM
Plumcrazy lower = $150+DROS $25, +$50 FFL fee =$225
http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=6 and BM plastic upper shipped to your house for $650ish

Plus tax. Most FFL's charge tax now. You have to do quite a bit of searching to find an FFL that doesn't charge taxes.

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 8:03 PM
Plus tax. Most FFL's charge tax now. You have to do quite a bit of searching to find an FFL that doesn't charge taxes.

I included tax...plumcrazy lowers are $129+tax+shipping is about $150.

MudCamper
05-19-2011, 8:48 PM
Why not get the Bushmaster? The Car-15 is an OLL and is legal. You just need a Bullet Button, so you can't buy it from Buds (cause not only will they not install one before shipping, but they hate California, and won't ship here anyway).

Ready4whenSHTF
05-19-2011, 8:48 PM
Now we're talking. Is plum crazy the only way to go? Im seeing others like Aero Precision,Sun Devil, Rock River, are they any good?

pontiacpratt
05-19-2011, 8:51 PM
Why not get the Bushmaster? The Car-15 is an OLL and is legal. You just need a Bullet Button, so you can't buy it from Buds (cause not only will they not install one before shipping, but they hate California, and won't ship here anyway).
The Carbon-15 has a sealed mag well right? At least the one I've held. Top load only unless you Dremel out the block ...then you need a BB.

Ready4whenSHTF
05-19-2011, 8:54 PM
The Carbon-15 has a sealed mag well right? At least the one I've held. Top load only unless you Dremel out the block ...then you need a BB.

Yea Ive seen the sealed mag well ones. Im looking to avoid having to bring a dremel into things.

MudCamper
05-20-2011, 8:48 AM

The old California model does yes. I was not talking about that. You can buy a normal CAR-15 lower and it is just as legal as any other OLL.

dieselpower
05-20-2011, 9:03 AM
Now we're talking. Is plum crazy the only way to go? Im seeing others like Aero Precision,Sun Devil, Rock River, are they any good?

Plumcrazy are all PLASTIC lowers. only metal is the buffer tube, buffer and all springs.

Bushmaster Plastic lowers have all metal parts inside and only the outer shell of the Lower is Plastic.

Plastic uppers are just that, the upper receiver is made from plastic, the barrel is steel as is the nut, Delta group and BCG.

No other company does this at this time, so the others you mentioned are aluminum.

This is the lightest gun I know if. The one you linked IS not 5lbs..they are shaving a bit off and rounding down. This is the lightest C15R97F AR 15 TYPE (http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_carbon15_AZ-C15R97F.asp) Its not a 100% copy of an AR15. Most other Plastic ones are ...just made of plastic.

All upper/lowers AR15s (and handguns) suffer from limpwrist feed jams where the frame is allowed to bend during rapid fire causing the mechanical parts to twist. Glocks and Bushmasters suffer from this flaw.

r3dn3ck
05-20-2011, 9:39 AM
I love my plum crazy lowers. Triggers are nice but not awesome, they fit really tight to the upper so no rattling. Toss on the upper of your choice and rock and roll.

Ready4whenSHTF
05-20-2011, 4:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I had not heard of one that light Diesel. Feeder jams? Should I then go with a part aluminum lower?
Mudcamper can you tell me where I can get one because Im not seeing them anywhere.

rdmax
05-21-2011, 1:33 AM
The issue I read with plastic lowers is if you do mag dumps, the lower could melt from the heat generated by the barrel. Plastic uppers is even more of an issue with heat. However, if you never do mag dumps, then plastic works just fine.

dieselpower
05-21-2011, 6:37 AM
The issue I read with plastic lowers is if you do mag dumps, the lower could melt from the heat generated by the barrel. Plastic uppers is even more of an issue with heat. However, if you never do mag dumps, then plastic works just fine.

Yes and no. The uppers from Bushmaster are Carbon Fiber (as are their lowers). Its not Plastic and will withstand the heat of many magazine dumps. You can overdue it of course. You would also be at the risk of melting the barrel, Squibbing a round and or load cooking.

Now Plumcrazy lowers are plastic, so there is a greater chance of melting, but once again the amount of heat you would need to really effect the lower means the upper and barrel are at dangerous levels themselves.

The issue with plumcrazy is the plastic can snap and break when subject to torquing forces. Carbon Fiber can take much more abusive force. You pull out the Pivot pin on a Carbon fiber and you can press down on it all you want. You are not going to snap it off. It will bend before its snaps... On a plastic lower it WILL snap off.

VacaDuck
05-21-2011, 6:50 AM
Yes and no. The uppers from Bushmaster are Carbon Fiber (as are their lowers). Its not Plastic and will withstand the heat of many magazine dumps. You can overdue it of course. You would also be at the risk of melting the barrel, Squibbing a round and or load cooking.

Now Plumcrazy lowers are plastic, so there is a greater chance of melting, but once again the amount of heat you would need to really effect the lower means the upper and barrel are at dangerous levels themselves.

The issue with plumcrazy is the plastic can snap and break when subject to torquing forces. Carbon Fiber can take much more abusive force. You pull out the Pivot pin on a Carbon fiber and you can press down on it all you want. You are not going to snap it off. It will bend before its snaps... On a plastic lower it WILL snap off.

Carbon 15 uppers and lowers are not made from carbon fiber. They are fiber reinforced plastic. Actually, the matrix may be nylon rather than plastic. The fibers in the plastic may be made of carbon, but that is it.

dieselpower
05-21-2011, 7:08 AM
Carbon 15 uppers and lowers are not made from carbon fiber. They are fiber reinforced plastic. Actually, the matrix may be nylon rather than plastic. The fibers in the plastic may be made of carbon, but that is it.

I'll take your word for it...but BM says its 100% Carbon Fiber IIRC

Ready4whenSHTF
05-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Yea BM does say that on their site and I believe them. Does anyone know what Mudcamper is talking about legal BM lowers? Also correct me if Im wrong but the uppers Bushmasters sells separately arent the really light ones. The only carbon upper I see is the one that from the rifle that weighs in at like 6.2, plus I probably want a flat top upper. Decisions, decisions.

dieselpower
05-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Yea BM does say that on their site and I believe them. Does anyone know what Mudcamper is talking about legal BM lowers? Also correct me if Im wrong but the uppers Bushmasters sells separately arent the really light ones. The only carbon upper I see is the one that from the rifle that weighs in at like 6.2, plus I probably want a flat top upper. Decisions, decisions.

Yes, Bushmaster has 3 roll marks. The XM15 roll mark is an AW. The other two are not. All C-15 roll marks are OLL. Correct the Carbon Fiber uppers are the light ones.

Ready4whenSHTF
05-21-2011, 11:42 AM
So doesnt that mean I could buy just the whole rifle with a bullet button? Anyone know of shop that has them?

Ready4whenSHTF
05-23-2011, 4:37 PM
Anybody?Or maybe something like this, near San Fran or Sacramento?

dieselpower
05-23-2011, 5:17 PM
you need to go talk to shops in your area, see who will order if and have the BB installed via middleman or if they have a permit and will install the BB when they receive it.

expect it to cost abit more. If you live near the border you could go to the other state, pay for the rifle, install the BB, then have it shipped to an FFL near you to be DROSed.

Ready4whenSHTF
05-23-2011, 5:35 PM
Ill keep trying, I might just end up getting an su-16 ca for all the work this seems like its going to take.