PDA

View Full Version : POW'R BALL .45 ACP in RIA 1911 OFFICER

rspeed9i6
05-19-2011, 7:56 PM
hey guys...just picked up my RIA 1911 officer, which will be my future ccw. as i was picking up my gun, i asked the sales guy if they had any winchester pdx1 in .45acp (i run pdx1's in my m&p .40). he came back with both the pdx1's as well as the Pow'r ball ammo in 165gr +P. he stated that in guns like this 1911, JHP may not feed as well, and that the pow'r balls will most likely eliminate that issue. he also stated that of course you wont know how they feed till you try, but i opted for the pow'r ball. i was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with the pow'r ball ammo in your 1911s or any experience with using JHP's that fed well/poorly.

also, being that the ammo is rated as +P, will that have any negative side effects with the gun whatsoever? this ammo of course will NOT be used for target shooting on a regular basis and will be used solely for defense purposes only.

thx CG!

pyromensch
05-19-2011, 8:37 PM
don't know about the ria, but any modern 1911, should handle +p ammo, especially in the situation you specified.
i have a colt, and a SA, and have used +p's in both, not as a regular diet, but on occassion, and no issues thus far, (30 yrs)

Ibgreezy
05-19-2011, 8:41 PM
My RIA 38super won't chamber JHP if mag has nine rounds in it.

mugiwara
05-19-2011, 8:58 PM
ria throats and polishes chamber and feedramp to dimensions that should be reliable with modern ammo. they put finish on the ramp over it, tho, so some ppl re-polish it and claim it works better. mine feeds whatever.

Colt-45
05-19-2011, 9:02 PM
Op, try the ammo out at a range before putting your life behind it.

My RIA 38super won't chamber JHP if mag has nine rounds in it.

An old Colt 38 Super and a Colt Gold Cup .38 Super that I had both chewed hollow points up quite nicely without any hiccups.

Fishslayer
05-19-2011, 9:25 PM
My full size Tactical didn't like PDX1 at all. Haven't tried it lately since it has roughly 1K rounds through it. As it loosened up it feeds SWC OK now. It feeds WWB JHP OK. The profile is a bit rounder.

I keep a Ruger KP90 for the first string HD gun. The RIA is strictly a backup/range piece.

Run 500 rds of FMJ through it & try some different mags.

OR... you may get lucky. Some owners report no problems with JHP right out of the box.

rspeed9i6
05-19-2011, 9:26 PM
Op, try the ammo out at a range before putting your life behind it.

An old Colt 38 Super and a Colt Gold Cup .38 Super that I had both chewed hollow points up quite nicely without any hiccups.

roger that...i was planning to do that this weekend hopefully after a good 100-200rds of plinking and break in

zfields
05-19-2011, 9:51 PM
the PDX1 has a bit of an sharp profile. Try 230g Gold dots, very round "FMJ" profile, minus the giant gaping cavity : )

novalondon
05-19-2011, 11:27 PM
The R.I.A. pistols I have sold in both 38 Super and 45ACP all had feed problems when first trying to feed a JHP bullet except for a few Gold Dots in 45ACP.
It turned out the magazines from RIA was the culprit. I bought and used/sold the Wilson Rogers 47SX in the supers and 47D in the 45ACP pistols and they now eat everything they are fed.
I believe it is the angle of the follower that is the biggest problem and the height of the mag in the mag well secondly which Wilson solved on both counts.
Polishing the ramp, taking the edge off the top of the feed ramp into the barrel itself also helps BUT be careful and only break the edge and polish the ramp to a mirror finish with dremel buffs and a good metal polish.

rspeed9i6
05-20-2011, 7:33 AM
The R.I.A. pistols I have sold in both 38 Super and 45ACP all had feed problems when first trying to feed a JHP bullet except for a few Gold Dots in 45ACP.
It turned out the magazines from RIA was the culprit. I bought and used/sold the Wilson Rogers 47SX in the supers and 47D in the 45ACP pistols and they now eat everything they are fed.
I believe it is the angle of the follower that is the biggest problem and the height of the mag in the mag well secondly which Wilson solved on both counts.
Polishing the ramp, taking the edge off the top of the feed ramp into the barrel itself also helps BUT be careful and only break the edge and polish the ramp to a mirror finish with dremel buffs and a good metal polish.

so if i purchase some wilson mags, would you still recommend to polish and edge off the feed ramp? i just purchased the gun, and i really dont feel comfortable doing that myself....im gonna run the powr ball thru it this weekend and see how it does....

novalondon
05-21-2011, 1:50 AM
Try the mags and see if that solves any problems you have, If they do not then polish or have it done. Cheap solution to most feed problems in 1911s

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 1:54 AM
No problems here on my RIA Tactical feeding 180 and 200gr Speer GD JHP+P

jak77
05-21-2011, 3:29 AM
the PDX1 has a bit of an sharp profile. Try 230g Gold dots, very round "FMJ" profile, minus the giant gaping cavity : )

This.

I run Gold Dots through my 1911 and they have never given me a problem. They have a HUGE GAPING cavity.

FeuerFrei
05-21-2011, 9:37 AM
45 cal. Pow'r ball ammo in 165gr +P is my standard CCW load.
3" Kimber CDP runs it just fine. 100% for me.
Test ANY ammo in your gun to see what works best or CAN work the best with a little polishing.

rspeed9i6
05-21-2011, 3:56 PM
ran the ria officer today at the range firing 100rds of 230gr .45acp pmc bronze, and one mag of pow'r ball, alternating between the stock mag and a wilson combat 8rd. mag. Out of the 108rds, i had one failure to eject on a last round (pmc bronze), and one failure to extract (pow'r ball). All in all it shot fine, and i hope the malfunctions were due to the fact that its still new and breaking in. I did not have one failure to feed using both mags and types of ammo though.:)