PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 52 Bolt Action .22

speeddreamz
05-19-2011, 5:05 PM
I just found out my pops had this hiding out in his closet, its old as heck 24" target bull barrel.

What should i do to make it ready to shoot? Any particular areas you would pay attention to besides cleaning out and making sure the barrel is unobstructed, action is lubed?

Also, can anyone recommend a way to scope it? It appears to have bases similar to a weaver, but they don't allow for a bar/slot(similar to piccatiny rail) to be mounted? Is this a weaver only non picatinny style mount?

lockpicker70
05-19-2011, 5:15 PM
what series , A , b , c ,d ? It will be last part of ser # . most likly to be set up for a Unertl / Redfeild / Lichtert ( usually 18-24" long ) or other Older type target scopes . There is a company that makes a scope base that fits onto the rear , left of the rec . where the receiver sights would be mounted . DO NOT drill & tap receiver for a scope base . that will ruin the resale ( if you ever did sell it ) to the purists . But if you use that base you can put anything on it .

Have fun with it . should shoot like a champ as its a 52 .

PS if it is a d it is really tricky to get the bolt out . you would cock it , fire trigger , then push it forward to get it out . All others should come out like most other guns

speeddreamz
05-19-2011, 8:38 PM
what series , A , b , c ,d ? It will be last part of ser # . most likly to be set up for a Unertl / Redfeild / Lichtert ( usually 18-24" long ) or other Older type target scopes . There is a company that makes a scope base that fits onto the rear , left of the rec . where the receiver sights would be mounted . DO NOT drill & tap receiver for a scope base . that will ruin the resale ( if you ever did sell it ) to the purists . But if you use that base you can put anything on it .

PS if it is a d it is really tricky to get the bolt out . you would cock it , fire trigger , then push it forward to get it out . All others should come out like most other guns

Hmmm mounting to the left so I can still use the irons?

Im wondering if there is some type of weaver system that will allow me to quick detatch the scope....

I'll let you know about the serial # later

Mssr. Eleganté
05-19-2011, 8:48 PM
...Im wondering if there is some type of weaver system that will allow me to quick detatch the scope...

If it has Unertl type scope blocks on it then the olde timey long target scope that lockpicker70 mentioned will be quick detach. The only problem is those scopes are very expensive now.

http://steveearleproducts.com/images/Scope%20Blocks%20o%20e.JPG

http://www.type03.net/firearm-pics/WinM75.jpg

speeddreamz
05-21-2011, 5:38 PM
If it has Unertl type scope blocks on it then the olde timey long target scope that lockpicker70 mentioned will be quick detach. The only problem is those scopes are very expensive now.

http://steveearleproducts.com/images/Scope%20Blocks%20o%20e.JPG

http://www.type03.net/firearm-pics/WinM75.jpg

Has these type blocks

speeddreamz
05-21-2011, 5:39 PM

Only numbers in the serial number...?

speeddreamz
05-21-2011, 6:25 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenching/sets/72157626775019540/

stevie
05-21-2011, 6:47 PM
Looks like a Pre-A Model 52, serial number shows around 1937. Not sure if the checkering is original to stock, first thought would be no.

Give it a good cleaning and try it out. Finding the correct scope and mounts may cost a few bills (lots). Drill and tap will greatly reduce the price of that nice rifle.

6079Winston
05-21-2011, 6:52 PM
That is nice, if it's what it appears to be members of this forum will beat you to death with socks filled with Federal bulk pack .22lr if you abuse it in any way. Nice find, we should all be so fortunate.

speeddreamz
05-21-2011, 7:16 PM
I don't need an authentic scope, anything I can get to mount a modern scope? That wont decrease the resale or isn't permanent?

22popnsplat
05-21-2011, 7:32 PM
Do not alter the rifle , it is a true classic and a collector item . I have a 52b and it will easily out shoot most 22s made today . my smallest 5 shot group to date is .128 for 5 shots at 50 yards . Here is a mount for the 52
http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/

speeddreamz
05-21-2011, 10:36 PM
That is nice, if it's what it appears to be members of this forum will beat you to death with socks filled with Federal bulk pack .22lr if you abuse it in any way. Nice find, we should all be so fortunate.

They warned me about you and your .22 socks.

6079Winston
05-22-2011, 8:20 AM
On a more serious note, even if it isn't 100% of what it left Winchester as the work done to it is probably more than 50 years old. In my opinion this makes it interesting in it's own way and worth preserving, kind of like a 30's Ford hot rodded in the 60's. If there is a poll I vote for shooting it the way it is before tweaking with it.

9mmepiphany
05-22-2011, 8:35 AM
You really should try shooting it with the receiver sights, they can be very accurate. That rifle would just look wrong with a modern scope on it

ivanimal
05-22-2011, 8:39 AM
There are plenty of period scopes on sales forums. I have a bunch of old bolt rifles, most dont need scopes, just young eyes.

speeddreamz
05-22-2011, 8:40 AM
I think I remember my dad mentioning the stock was custom, don't know if that refers to the checkering or the whole thing.