PDA

View Full Version : BEEN THINKING OF GETTING A MINI 14, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THEM?

BIGDOG805
05-19-2011, 5:18 PM
Whats up calgunners,
So Ive been thinking of getting myself a MINI 14, the all black one like on their link http://ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/models.html
Is there any mini 14 owners out there that can give me some input on them. Are they accurate? reliable?
Ive owned a ruger 10/22 before and its been very reliable and accurate. Does this go for all rugers.
Do you guys recomend this rifle?
any input would be appreciated :)

chesterthehero
05-19-2011, 5:25 PM
great rifle.. its a lot like the 10/22.. reliable and accurate enough for me then again i dont do any bench shooting but it hits a torso sized target everytime i point it at one...

MrPlink
05-19-2011, 5:26 PM
I think its kind of a neat platform to build on. Cant speak from personal experience, but Ive heard over and over again that newer production models arent what they used to be, which is moot if you are planning to modify it anyways.

but for what they cost new now I think the AR platform offers a much better value for your money, at least for a rifle in that caliber.

The War Wagon
05-19-2011, 5:28 PM
but for what they cost new now I think the AR platform offers a much better value for your money, at least for a rifle in that caliber.

Mr. Plink speaks much truth. Parts, mods, and accessories for the AR are more plentiful, & cheaper, than for the Mini. And even cheap ARs are more accurate.

CessnaDriver
05-19-2011, 5:34 PM
Have one I bought in 85 and it's still rockin'.
No troubles. Thinking of buying another since they have made improvements since then and I have hi cap magazines from back in the day that will fit.
Everyone loves to shoot it.

arsilva32
05-19-2011, 5:43 PM
fantastic rifle, ultra dependable. dont have one now but have owned several ,you can beat the crap out of them and they just keep firing. i agree with plink on one count,they are getting a bit over priced,but good deals can still be found if you look.

my mini would eat any, and i do mean ANY ammo i put through it with out any problems.

rubber duckie
05-19-2011, 5:46 PM
AR's are cool, Ive had one before and I kind of want to stay away from the assault rifles or evil features rifles. I like that you dont need a bullet button for the mini 14 and ive shot one before and liked it.

only reason mini 14 does not need a bullet button because it does not have a pistol grip. now if later down the line you wanted something like this..

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/firearms-images-products-446l-2.jpg

then you will need a bullet button.

Can you just about shoot any kind of ammo through mini 14's? including cheap stuff? I know alot of AR's get jammed if you shoot cheap steel cased ammo, is this the same with mini 14's?

mini 14s have a gas piston system, so yes any .223 ammo will go bang with this rifle. SOME DI ARs cant shoot cheap ammo, but everyone that i know with DI ARs cheap ammo runs fine. i have a piston AR so everything feeds through it.

ojisan
05-19-2011, 5:55 PM
The newer Minis are chambered in 5.56 x45 NATO, older ones were chambered in .223.
Officially, 5.56 should not be fired in a .223 chamber.

My old, old Mini had a 1-10 (or 1-12?) twist, it liked lighter bullets only.
The new ones are the now-standard 1-9 twist that works good with most bullet weights.

redrex
05-19-2011, 5:56 PM
Whats up calgunners,
So Ive been thinking of getting myself a MINI 14, the all black one like on their link http://ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/models.html
Is there any mini 14 owners out there that can give me some input on them. Are they accurate? reliable?
Ive owned a ruger 10/22 before and its been very reliable and accurate. Does this go for all rugers.
Do you guys recomend this rifle?
any input would be appreciated :)

For the past 6 months I have been doing the long hard search for the .223. Trying to figure out what platform to go with.

I looked at the Kel-Tec. Nice price but to small and flimsy.

I've always liked the look and feel of the ruger, but all the research says that they are good guns but not great guns. That they get hot fast and can't put a lot off rounds down range at once. And to me, $700? Really? As others have noted, that is entry price for a AR.

AR? To finicky and the price starts just barely at $700.

Just this week I put my money down on a Legion Saiga in 223 for $450 NIB. AK style reliability in 223 for $250 less then a Mini or an AR?

just my $.02

btw, I have never heard a mini 14 owner say they hate their gun, so it's probably more a matter of what you want.

Milsurps
05-19-2011, 6:03 PM
I own ARs and a Mini-14 SS Ranch. I like them all, but what I really like the Mini for it's non aggressive look, no BB BS, and I can use normal capacity Mags I have from a previous Mini. The Mini is ultra reliable, shoots any ammo, and just plain works. A lot of Mini naysayers will bad mouth the Minis accuracy but mine keeps right up with my AR Carbine. My 20" A2 AR, not so much. ;) Try it . I think you will like it. If you want a Tech a Cool, Mall Ninja rife, buy an AR.

Colt-45
05-19-2011, 7:15 PM
AR15>Mini14

SHEPHERD321
05-19-2011, 7:23 PM
With the CA 10 rd mag limit I'd get a M1A over a mini 14. The mini is a good gun for close range. Has anyone on here rebarreled one produced a shooter?

jeffrice6
05-19-2011, 7:32 PM
Mini is great for what it is & designed for!!! Hands down! No, its not a target rifle & never will be. Its a shooter & a good one at that!
I have a 581 series & it does everything I ask of it.... It goes bang every time, I can use my old standard mags, eats everything and is backed by Ruger (wonderful CS) Iron sighted off the bench I have no problems hitting/ destroying a 4" shoot-N-see at 100yds (& I'm not that great of a shot)

Firearms are tools, get the one that fits the job

jeffrice6
05-19-2011, 7:34 PM
With the CA 10 rd mag limit I'd get a M1A over a mini 14.

True, but thats about a thousand dollar difference!

762.DEFENSE
05-19-2011, 7:40 PM
Ruger Mini-14's are great guns. Definitely a worth while purchase on your part. :thumbsup:

SHEPHERD321
05-19-2011, 7:41 PM
Thats just it for only a thousand more dollars get the M1A.

jeffrice6
05-19-2011, 7:42 PM
true, whats teh cheapest ammo for the m1a? thats the .308 round right? can you shoot cheap stuff in the m1a as well?

Yes .308
Cheapest would probably be mil surplus. $90ish for 200rds
If you can afford it DO IT! M1a is a great rifle, only down side is price of rifle, price of ammo, and the weight of the rifle. Again, tool for the job.

jeffrice6
05-19-2011, 7:52 PM
Great Mini site
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/

Great M1a/M14 site

http://m14forum.com/

UserM4
05-19-2011, 7:57 PM
I hear Mini14's are great guns but I'd rather get a .223 Saiga for $400 or less.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/productimages/long_guns/SAI-223-D.jpg
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1083-saiga-223-16-syn-10rd.aspx
Looking at your WTS listing, you're already familiar with AK style rifles and may already own a Saiga sporter and want to change things up. Then I understand the interest in a Mini14.

elnielsen
05-19-2011, 7:58 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/25/128800830370819826.jpg

oldschool88
05-19-2011, 8:01 PM
The Mini 14 is a great weapon for what it is. It wont be a precision shooter, but that's not what it's for. They are accurate enough to get the job done and impressively reliable. The big plus is it's featureless from the start. I'll take a Mini over a featureless AR any day. BTW I shoot almost exclusively cheap Russian ammo in mine and have never had an issue. Also, anyone to the right of you at the range will become your new best friend.:D

23 Blast
05-19-2011, 8:03 PM
^If it's what you want, go for it. Minis got a bad reputation for inaccuracy, mainly because they were compared against the M16 family, but Colonel Cooper seemed to like them just fine. They were never designed to be military rifles, they were meant to be "ranch" and "homestead" rifles, so comparing them negatively to ARs is like decrying a pickup truck's shortcomings vis-a-vis a military Humvee.

The newer versions have addressed some of the shortcomings of the earlier models, and many seem to like them, particularly in states like CA where we have to deal with bullet buttons. As an all-around rifle, a Mini isn't bad.

reboot1901
05-19-2011, 9:37 PM
I spent a lot of time researching the Mini-14 as an alternative to an AR. Here is what I've learned.

Pro Mini:
- No need for bullet button.
- Jury friendly. There was a study done with a mock jury and hypothetical scenarios a long time ago. If someone used a Mini to kill, they got 3 years. If they used an AR, 15 years. To a jury, looks matter. Since I intend to use my gun for defense, this was an important factor for me.

Con Mini:
- Firing pin may break after several hundred rounds, sometimes fewer, sometimes never. It seems very inconsistent: some people use Berdan primed steel ammo and have no problems, others used Boxer primer brass ammo and had broken firing pins after a few hundred rounds. The worst part though is firing pin must be factory fitted. You cannot not simply swap it out with a spare. Ruger will do it for you for free, but you have to ship it to them. So if/when mine breaks, I plan on sending it to Ruger and have them fit several pins for me as spares.

I think it's a terrible design flaw that one cannot exchange important parts between two Mini's when they break. But living in California, the lack of a Bullet Button and Jury friendliness appeal to me, so I have a Mini-14 instead of an AR. In plain wood stock, of course.

Bhobbs
05-19-2011, 9:44 PM
I spent a lot of time researching the Mini-14 as an alternative to an AR. Here is what I've learned.

Pro Mini:
- No need for bullet button.
- Jury friendly. There was a study done with a mock jury and hypothetical scenarios a long time ago. If someone used a Mini to kill, they got 3 years. If they used an AR, 15 years. To a jury, looks matter. Since I intend to use my gun for defense, this was an important factor for me.

Con Mini:
- Firing pin may break after several hundred rounds, sometimes fewer, sometimes never. It seems very inconsistent: some people use Berdan primed steel ammo and have no problems, others used Boxer primer brass ammo and had broken firing pins after a few hundred rounds. The worst part though is firing pin must be factory fitted. You cannot not simply swap it out with a spare. Ruger will do it for you for free, but you have to ship it to them. So if/when mine breaks, I plan on sending it to Ruger and have them fit several pins for me as spares.

I think it's a terrible design flaw that one cannot exchange important parts between two Mini's when they break. But living in California, the lack of a Bullet Button and Jury friendliness appeal to me, so I have a Mini-14 instead of an AR. In plain wood stock, of course.

Do you have a link to that study?

Norsemen308
05-19-2011, 9:51 PM
Its the cheapest AR you will ever buy yourself LOL. honesty... its the same damn thing they are stupid accurate, fun to shoot, through a scope on it and enjoy everything the world has to offer. They do everything you want, its a hell of alot easier to load. ITs just a great overall gun.

I love black guns, but have alot of friends who went mini-14's and they will never go back....sooo they say... somes i wish i would have stayed at mini-14 i would be thousands of dollars ahead LMAO.. but in all reality it doesnt matter I still love my black rifles to...

redrex
05-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Don't forget to check big 5. They usually have a couple in stock. Not sure if they ever go on sale though.

reboot1901
05-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Do you have a link to that study?

I don't have the actual article, but here is a good link with relevant sections quoted:
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=43614

I was wrong about the details: It was 8 years vs 2.5.

The study was done in 2009, and the scenario was a burglar in the home. The mock jury was in TEXAS. Imagine what a California jury would do....

MrKojack1
05-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Shot my first mini just a month ago and loved it! Went hone and started shopping for one and that's when I noticed they were only about $150 cheaper than an AR. So I bought myself the AR. Didn't think the mini shot 5.56 but the owners manual said it can handle it. Anyways the mini made me look like a pro (when Im not) at 200yds. I say just get it you'll love it.

Philthy
05-19-2011, 11:04 PM
I love my mini, it was the first gun I ever purchased. As was mentioned above, it will eat any and all ammo you feed it.

As far as 556 v 223, the owner's manual clearly states that although the rifle is marked ".223" it is perfectly safe to use 5.56. (Pg 11).

There are a ton of parts out there, so it is easy to customize. Although the best stuff is almost always factory. It's nice that factory mag kits are reasonable again, I thought things were absurd when I paid 100 bucks for a factory mag during the AWB. It was new in those old white boxes, so it seemed like a deal at the time. I've had no success with nonfactory mags, but there might be a reliable aftermarket brand out there.

Being young, I went for probably over a year without cleaning it. One time, before I started shooting, I found that the bolt was frozen shut. Wouldn't move no matter how hard I tried. So I put the rifle butt stock down and kicked the bolt open. She worked flawlessly. Would I do that nowadays? Heck no, nor do I advise doing it. Point is, I beat on her and she could take it.

Anyway, all the other semi long guns I have are AK derivatives, so I'm on minute of man rather than angle. My mini is accurate enough for me. I love her. I love that she eats any garbage you feed her (and I love reading "wolf is bad" threads), I love how she shoots casings a mile to the right, I love how she works even though I don't always clean her, I love telling the kick-the-bolt story and I love that I lost track of her round count last century. She reminds me of those old 22re toyota trucks: she's old, she's nowhere near as advanced as other things on the road (old technology), but she keeps on truckin. And truckin. My only regret: not making her a RAW.

Rather than get into the same old "Mini v. AR" thing, just do what you want for the reasons you want. I've probably had the most fun with my mini over the years, so I'd say go for it.

Philthy
05-20-2011, 1:05 AM
I also have to add: don't get me wrong, AR's are great rifles. There's a reason they are so popular. There's a reason that our military uses the system. AR's are wonderful.

They just never did anything for me. I remember when I first saw a FAB10. People were poring over them. I just wasn't turned on. I've actually helped build 2, just haven't gotten around to getting one. My old roommate used to talk constantly about his AR's 1 inch groups...I'd talk about the groups of cans I shot. With steel case ammo. He'd also try to troll me with the whole AR/Mini thing, and I'd just shut him up by asking if he ever kicked his bolt open.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever actually shot paper with my mini (I go to BLM), so I haven't the slightest idea how big my groups are.

The only reason I have a mini is because I saw one in a shop that no longer exists and I liked how the four cutouts in the hand guard looked. I think it was 350 bucks and came with no mags. So I just fell into them by accident. Haven't looked back. One of my friends liked my mini so much that he got a mini 30 - and he loves his too.

I also have to point out that although I can drop mags, inserting the mag is a little tricky and can take getting used to. There is a "pin" that fits into a hole on the front of the mags, and if you miss, the mag won't seat properly. Sort of like loading an S12. You have to rock the mag to get it to seat. Mag drop AR's are certainly quicker to reload. But if you think about it, people in free states can use AR's as they are meant to be - yet the mini is still quite popular in spite of the difference.

As far as I'm concerned, AR's and minis are apples and oranges. The only thing they have in common is the round they chamber. If you can, try shooting one before shelling out for a new one. I'm tired of that whole debate. It's like being on a car forum and every time someone asks about GM, all the Ford people rag on GM. Or vice versa. Same with the Mac/PC debate. I'm all for debates, but some are like dead horses.

Also remember that the A*Team used minis...and no one ever got shot!

Bhobbs
05-20-2011, 1:33 AM
I don't have the actual article, but here is a good link with relevant sections quoted:

The study was done in 2009, and the scenario was a burglar in the home. The mock jury was in TEXAS. Imagine what a California jury would do....

There are liberals even in Texas. They got all the "jurors" from liberal arts schools and community colleges. Why not just pick random Texans? Too much of a chance of them being pro gun and actually understanding the law?

llamatrnr
05-20-2011, 1:57 AM
AR? Don't you people know that Assault Rifles are illegal? Geeez!

biloutkast
05-20-2011, 8:08 AM
Dam philthy that reply itself will make anyone buy one haha....i want one now...?
I feel like buying another Mini14 after reading that. :)

CessnaDriver
05-20-2011, 8:34 AM

:thumbsup:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3743/ateam1766027.jpg

reboot1901
05-20-2011, 9:44 AM
There are liberals even in Texas. They got all the "jurors" from liberal arts schools and community colleges. Why not just pick random Texans? Too much of a chance of them being pro gun and actually understanding the law?

Sure, but I live in a very liberal county.

D3lta58
05-20-2011, 9:53 AM
If you're on the fence between the M1A and the mini-14, let me just say that I would never sell my M1A, ever. I have stronger feelings for my M1A then most of the girls that I have dated. Save up and get the M1A.

If you have no interest in getting a M1A, then a mini is still a fine rifle. No BB BS, fun shooter, and reliable.

hammerhands32
05-20-2011, 10:00 AM

Funny stuff

Brown Rock
05-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Mini 14's are cool rifles. It was my first rifle I ever owned, very reliable too. Try to stick with factory magazines though. A lot of the after market mags are crap.
My only gripe about the rifle was the cost of the factory mags. http://www.44mag.com/category/ruger_mini_14

Anyway I ended up selling my Mini and I put that money towards my first AR build.:D

GSwain
05-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a mini 14, it is not as accurate as an AR, but if it came down to only one rifle to have, i'd take the mini 14. It has a garand style rotating bolt that stays clean easily, and has very few moving parts, so it is very simple. Its not as fun to shoot as an AR, and costs more to customize and build up the way you want, but it will always be dependable when you need it. I don't shoot mine much, but ill never get rid of it, its too versatile and dependable.

QQQ
05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
+1 for a Saiga .223

Mini's aren't bad, though, and I think they look cool. Just be sure that if you buy a used one that it's a recent model (since Ruger's made big improvements on them since '03 or so). A Mini-14 is definitely on my top 5 list of future buys.

Rekrab
05-20-2011, 1:22 PM
I gotta say, for the price of a Mini-14 I'd rather buy a Saiga and have money left over for ammo! Hell, you could buy ammo, a sidemount, and an optic.

Fadedline
05-20-2011, 1:50 PM
I had a mini 14 Ranch and got rid of it as soon as I built my AR. Replaced it with a Saiga. ;)

popeye4
05-20-2011, 2:23 PM
Don't look at the Mini-14 vs.the AR-15. They are different rifles designed for different purposes. The Mini-14 is a rock solid, reliable little carbine that probably won't be much more than it is out of the box (after all, if you're going to spend another grand to get it to shoot, just by a M14 type rifle). If that is what you want/need, then go get it. If you want a rifle platform that has all sorts of doo-dads to hang on it, or you want to build a match rifle, or a mall-Ninja M4gery, or a space gun, or something else, the AR platform can't be beat. But I don't really think they are comparable.

I have one of each. I rarely shoot the Mini-14 now, because I don't have coyotes chasing my chickens, and it isn't much fun for me to shoot at a range. If I lived in the boondocks, it would be a good truck gun. I shoot my AR because I use it in NRA Service Rifle matches. Can't do that with a Mini-14.

MrClamperSir
05-20-2011, 2:26 PM
I love the mini 14!

tkleveno51
05-20-2011, 2:46 PM
man i love both of my mini 14s.
you cant compare them to an ar
in my minis i have never had a round fte or ftf
you can shoot steel or metal.
i tend to favor my minis over my ar.
i can only say good things about my minis :)
if you want to throw a whole bunch of accesroies on it and make it tacti-cool and all that stuff then you can go ar.
you also have to think that if you go m1a the ammo is little bit more expensive but then again the m1a is a beautiful gun and i enjoy shooting it
but then again its all your prefeerence
good luck with your choices

at least it wasnt an ak or ar thread :innocent:

Bikertrash
05-20-2011, 3:09 PM
I inherited a Mini 14. It came with the Tapco T-6 stock on it. The previous owner wanted to "Tacti-cool" it. When I got the rifle I grabbed the factory stock and put it back to original. It's a ranch gun, not an AW, and that's what I use it for. Chasing coyotes and the like away from the livestock. What I like about it is the major similarities to the M1 Carbine (which was my goto coyote gun before the Mini-14)

As said, if you want a tacti-cool rifle, go with an AR, if you want a rock solid, dependable .223 go with the Mini. And I find it hard to compare the M1A with either the Mini or AR. I have all 3 and they are very much different rifles.

Although I learned something in this thread. I didn't know you could shoot 5.56 through the Mini. I Didn't get a manual with it and it's only stamped .223. Thanks for that.

Philthy
05-20-2011, 3:26 PM
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/bigkahunaburger/mini.jpg

desert_dick
05-20-2011, 3:28 PM
Used to have an early Mini-14, with a cut-down barrel, perm-attached flash suppressor & folding stock when I lived in NV. Put several thousand rounds thru it over several years and it gobbled up everything I could stuff in the 30 round mags I had.
Kinda wish I still had it. Anyway, I've always had a favorable impression of them myself.
-Rich

7.62 Charlie
05-20-2011, 3:47 PM

I think they used a Ruger AC556. But its the same gun.

http://www.icollector.com/images/1618/18213/18213_1649_1_lg.jpg

moosegun
05-20-2011, 3:56 PM
AR's are cool, Ive had one before and I kind of want to stay away from the assault rifles or evil features rifles. I like that you dont need a bullet button for the mini 14 and ive shot one before and liked it.
Can you just about shoot any kind of ammo through mini 14's? including cheap stuff? I know alot of AR's get jammed if you shoot cheap steel cased ammo, is this the same with mini 14's?

+1 for the mini 14 . Bullet button annoys the hell outta me. Kel-Tec su-16ca would be a good choice as well. Cool thing about SU-16CA is it weighs less and you can use AR magazines.

moosegun
05-20-2011, 3:58 PM
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/bigkahunaburger/mini.jpg

and your point is? That just a disclaimer to protect the company. Even glocks manual says that.

Bikertrash
05-20-2011, 4:15 PM
I think he was verifying my comment. Not all .223's can handle the higher pressure of the 5.56. Apparantly the Mini can. Makes me happy since I have more 5.56 than .223 and I usually take both my AR and Mini to the range.

Philthy
05-20-2011, 4:18 PM
and your point is? That just a disclaimer to protect the company. Even glocks manual says that.

Jeez.

Do Glock manuals say that they can use either US Military or sporting ammunition? Do you get my point yet?

Just to clearly state what I thought was completely, completely obvious, I posted that to show that minis may use both .223 AND 5.56, as was stated in the post above. And to show those that were unaware of this fact that minis may use 5.56 in addition to .223.

Note the words circled in red.

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss268/bigkahunaburger/minia.jpg

Wes
05-20-2011, 4:19 PM
i like my mini14. its an older model though. constantly hit empty propane take at 300m unsupported with open sights. although not as accurate as my AR, it works for me :)

laika
05-20-2011, 4:59 PM
I REALLY love mine. It's the standard classic blue/woodstock version of the newer, more accurate model. Not fussy, accurate as I need it to be, and a delight to shoot. If you're thinking of the M1a, think of the Mini as a trainer. The actions are similar etc. But the Mini won't break your bank or your shoulder if you shoot it all day.

MrMarco
05-20-2011, 5:12 PM
Get the mini! They're a lot of fun to shoot, reliable as hell, and will shoot just about any .223 or 5.56 ammo there is.

Sicarius
05-20-2011, 5:24 PM
The mini is a great rifle. It is a ranch rifle and shouldn't be compared to an AR. Though the mini is approaching the price of a cheap ar these days, Their intended purposes are different and share only the same caliber in similarity. The mini is a reliable and sturdy gun. I wouldn't hesitate to drop it down a flight of stairs. They aren't know for accuracy and I can agree owning one of the older ones. The newer ones are suppose to be significantly better but I have no first hand knowledge of it yet. The closest guns I would compare it to is the saiga and su16. All are great in their own way. All of them are very reliable in my experience. Durability, I would give the edge to the mini over the saiga and the SU16 way at the back(wouldnt drop mine down any stairs). Accuracy the SU16 is on top, far above my mini(not sure of the new generation) and the saiga. The saiga is limited by it's sights for the most part. Short sight radius is the issue...
Kevin

toby
05-20-2011, 5:34 PM
If you want a Mini get a Mini, don't let people talk you out of it just cuz their haters, most have never even owned the guns they hate! they just follow the other guy....

Bizcuits
05-20-2011, 6:44 PM
I absolutely love my Mini-14. It shoots straight, lets me hit what I need to out to 300 yards, is reliable with my pre-ban factory 20's (nothing else ever worked) and doesn't have the evil appearance black rifles do...

Mine came in a black synthetic stock, but I traded it out for a fence post wood style. I enjoy the ranch look much better then the tactical mall ninja crap. I'm very much a "KISS".

End of the day, I have a STAG 15 with a MMG and love it, it's definitely more accurate. However I always go to my Mini-14, because it has detachable mags, I don't need to worry about ignorant or dickhead cops confusing the law (I don't want to be explaining the legalities of my OLL following a self defense shoot), and it's reliable. In any SHTF scenario outside of Zombies or Chinese troops rolling down Meadowview Road in tanks, you'll see me rocking my Mini-14.

Bizcuits
05-20-2011, 6:48 PM
If you want a Mini get a Mini, don't let people talk you out of it just cuz their haters, most have never even owned the guns they hate! they just follow the other guy....

This has been my experience.

robcoe
05-20-2011, 7:06 PM

Mine has taken every type of crappy ammo I threw at it and worked fine, accuracy has improved in the newer series of guns, love my mini-14 and would not trade it for any comperably priced AR/AK.

coy80176
05-20-2011, 7:31 PM
I had one and it was fun to shoot, and very reliable....sold it to fund my AR project a couple years ago....but do know, I will get another one some day:cool:

Fiiyablade
05-20-2011, 8:48 PM
The mini is a definite must for my future collection, no bb, just as reliable as anything, and has respectable accuracy

CessnaDriver
05-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Well I been thinking about it long enough and the big gun run is over so they are readily available again, so bought my second tonight. Since the new ones have scope mounts I will do that. The Big 5 sale price was $699.00 though this Saturday so not great but ok enough.

There are some vids on youtube that talk about the accuracy issue, claim that the factory tooling was getting a bit worn and that caused some accuracy drops during the nineties, along with too thin a barrel. They finally retooled for the "new" Mini's.

My 1985 model seemed fine to me, so maybe that is the explaination for the bad rep later.

Matthew_S
05-21-2011, 3:33 PM
If i were still in Cali I would go for a Mini over an AR. There is no way I would do that bullet button thing. I think the real comparison as already mentioned is with the Saiga. In fact if i go back I would have to sell my DPMS and make this decision myself.

Also, they have the short barrel Minis now too with the synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel. Pretty Cool.

jeffrice6
05-21-2011, 5:04 PM
Love the platform!!! Wish I still had my M1 carbine.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302/jeffrice6/IMG_2409.jpg

drifts1
05-21-2011, 7:43 PM
No regrets buying mine. And I love dropping my 20 & 30rd mags. :30:

robcoe
05-26-2011, 12:23 PM
ANYONE WHERE TO BUY THE RUGER FACTORY 10 ROUND MAGS, DO THEY MAKE THEM?

No need to panic.

Turners, Big 5, Midway, Cabelas, Brownells, Amazon.com, all of them have had them within the last month or so

EDIT: just checked, brownells has them right now.

lsellers
05-26-2011, 1:14 PM
check out nutnfancy's "mini 14 against the world" set of youtube videos:

http://www.google.com/#q=mini14+against+the+world&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=vid&ei=T7TeTeawOYyWsgPM3-ClBw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=820dfa0cfd14958f&biw=1294&bih=706

para38super
05-26-2011, 1:16 PM
AR15>Mini14

Not when the Ar has a BB.

Fadedline
05-26-2011, 1:23 PM
Not when the Ar has a BB.

Personally, for me it still is BB or not.

jdg30
05-26-2011, 1:45 PM

I bought new Ruger factory 10 round mags direct from the Ruger website last year. They function perfect and are definitely better than aftermarket mini-14 mags.

robcoe
05-26-2011, 1:53 PM
coo, so are these aftermarket mags or ruger factory? From what ive heard is that alot of the aftermarket ones dont come out so good...true?

Dont know about aftermarket ones, I just buy the Ruger Factory magazines. And all the places I listed carry the factory magazines.

Joe
05-26-2011, 1:55 PM

gotta agree

jeffrice6
05-26-2011, 4:36 PM

Do you or have you ever owned a mini???

drifts1
05-26-2011, 5:22 PM

I'll agree for the first 10 rounds. Then the Mini has the edge.

BigNick
05-26-2011, 5:26 PM
If you want the mini, get the mini. They are fun to shoot and very reliable. I sold mine and now I'm going to buy another.

BoonieGhost
05-26-2011, 6:38 PM
For the past 6 months I have been doing the long hard search for the .223. Trying to figure out what platform to go with.

I looked at the Kel-Tec. Nice price but to small and flimsy.

I've always liked the look and feel of the ruger, but all the research says that they are good guns but not great guns. That they get hot fast and can't put a lot off rounds down range at once. And to me, $700? Really? As others have noted, that is entry price for a AR.

AR? To finicky and the price starts just barely at $700.

Just this week I put my money down on a Legion Saiga in 223 for $450 NIB. AK style reliability in 223 for $250 less then a Mini or an AR?

just my $.02

btw, I have never heard a mini 14 owner say they hate their gun, so it's probably more a matter of what you want.

You have now...lol I used to have one and I HATED that gun with a passion! at 50 yards that gun spit like 6" groups. needless to say I sold it and replaced it with an AR I built from Spikes and I havent looked back...

I would take a Saiga .223 or AR-15 of a Mini ANY DAY!

robcoe
05-26-2011, 6:57 PM
You have now...lol I used to have one and I HATED that gun with a passion! at 50 yards that gun spit like 6" groups. needless to say I sold it and replaced it with an AR I built from Spikes and I havent looked back...

I would take a Saiga .223 or AR-15 of a Mini ANY DAY!

What year was the mini? Mine is one of the newer models and I easily get 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

hawk81
05-26-2011, 7:07 PM
The new ones are great and shoot 1 moa. I have 3 new models.

tmuller
05-26-2011, 7:19 PM
Wow 3 years ago this would've been a mini bashing thread glad to see the rifle is gaining some more cred around here. I love my mini, it is what it is, not an AR but not trying to be great shooter, eats everything, and a ton of fun. Enjoy your new rifle when you get it!

derwiking
05-26-2011, 7:36 PM
Forget the MINI-14.

Get an M1A, AR, or Saiga.

Anything else is inferior, but the M1A is the real King of the hill.

23 Blast
05-26-2011, 8:38 PM
^Well, for the price it commands, it damned well better be! :eek:

I have a couple of Mini 14s and an M1A. The actions are similar, but the M1A is simply in a whole 'nuther class. A Mini is a Toyota Corrolla. Reliable, decent, will go forever, but nothing special. An M1A is a Lexus LS460. Also reliable and will go forever, but just a whole lot more car.

Fadedline
05-26-2011, 8:50 PM
Do you or have you ever owned a mini???

Yes, had an older stainless Ranch. Traded it for a Saiga.

Lead-Thrower
05-26-2011, 9:09 PM
I have a mini 14 and have no complaints. It has never failed, and eats anything I feed it. Not the most accurate gun on the planet, but I can hit targets out to 300 yards with it, so not too bad. Overall, I think I like shooting the mini 14 more than the AR...

axhoaxho
05-26-2011, 9:24 PM
I agree with everyone that the Mini 14 is one reliable workhorse .223/5.56 rifle.

The Saiga .223/5.56, price around $400 or less, is a very good alternative as well.

BoonieGhost
05-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I agree with everyone that the Mini 14 is one reliable workhorse .223/5.56 rifle.

The Saiga .223/5.56, price around $400 or less, is a very good alternative as well.

no no no, you got it all wrong...the Mini is a more expensive & foolish alternative to the Saiga

BoonieGhost
05-26-2011, 10:44 PM
What year was the mini? Mine is one of the newer models and I easily get 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Mine was built back about 2000-2001. I bought it back in 2007 used for $500 and sold it less than a year later for $650 when the craze started and people started getting stupid and starting to agree to paying Ruger's outlandish, greedy prices. It was like brand new when bought it. It was safe queen cause the guy that bought it originally was a collector with more money than brains and bought it just for the sake of having it...

As a rule, I generally dont sell guns, but buying that Mini-14 was biggest piss waste of money I even spent...luckily I made a lil profit when I sold it

BoonieGhost
05-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes, had an older stainless Ranch. Traded it for a Saiga.

SMART MAN!!! I didnt the same thing. I sold the mini, bought a Saiga and then I built my AR as well

CaliNoMag
05-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Forget the MINI-14.

Get an M1A, AR, or Saiga.

Anything else is inferior, but the M1A is the real King of the hill.

obviously you dont have experience with the mini14

its called the ranch rifle because its like an AK47 in the sense that you can beat the crap out of it and it wont fail you.

People swear by it.

Also, outside of california; you can mod it tactically to the point where it basically is an AR

Brown Rock
05-28-2011, 10:04 AM

http://www.44mag.com/category/ruger_mini_14

vmwerks
06-07-2011, 3:16 PM

Judges do the sentencing not juries but I can see where a non-firearm person would be put off by the EBR.. :)

From the Accuracy Systems website:

MINI 14 & AR15 Comparisons

Mini 14 - No hot gases are dumped into the bolt. So the bolt is not over come by excessive heat! Also there is no carbon to build up and lock up the bolt!

AR15 - Hot gases are dumped into the bolt to say the least and carbon will build up if not regularly cleaned causing a malfunction and or cease to operate condition.

Mini 14 - All steel receiver and case hardened to a thickness of at least .020"

AR15 - 75% aluminum alloy with the critical parts steel

Mini 14 - Open bolt design is a close copy of the M14. The open bolt is very forgiving when it comes to dirt, dust or sand. The rifle clean or dirty just keeps ticking and ticking.

AR 15- Closed bolt design. Just ask our troops about the plastic baggies they need to use to keep the sand from jamming up there rifles.

Mini 14 - Self cleaning gas system no buffer tube to collect moisture or dirt and lock up the buffer system.

AR 15- Must be field stripped to clean trigger compartment, Buffer system, Bolt & carrier and gas tube system.

Mini 14 - compact, versatile, and doesn't take up much space.

AR15 - Large bulky

Mini 14 - Field strips in seconds. Pop the trigger guard and the rifle practically dismantles it self.

AR 15- Definitely slower to disassemble.

Mini 14 - Now here the AR has an advantage over the Mini. Out of the box ACCURACY!

AR 15 - Out of the box ACCURACY!

Mini 14 - But here we can help! We can turn your Mini 14 into a rifle that will shoot right next to an AR15 after one of our conversions is completed. Now that we have discussed the pros and cons of the rifles you would have to say the Mini definitely has some advantages and we can take care of the disadvantages!

Accuracy Systems, Inc.

23 Blast
06-07-2011, 7:14 PM
The newer Minis with the thicker, tapered barrel are still not in the same class with an AR, precision-wise, but they will put to rest the old, bad reputation that Minis got for "4 MOA if you're lucky."

Besides, the Mini is a freaking CARBINE. It was meant for short-range fighting or hunting. It's basically a latter-day M1 Carbine chambered in .223. If you wanted to put bullets through the same hole over and over and over all day and night, you'd use a bolt-action or a 24" upper heavy barrel AR. If you want to reliably hit man-sized targets with relative ease out to 200m, the Mini will suffice. Moreover, the Mini has AK-like reliability and durability. Have heard many anecdotes of people treating their Minis with neglect, failing to clean them, shooting thousands of rounds without cleaning and/or lubing, but Minis keep on going. The Mini is the American Kalashnikov.

Silverlake223
06-07-2011, 9:32 PM
I had a Ranch Rifle for 10 years and sold it! Big mistake that I regret. I also have preban 20 30 round Ruger high caps. The Mini will live again at my house!

smattenson
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Hello,

I used to have a mini 14 581 series that I loved before I sold it ( Sold it to fund a manners stock). When I had it, it ran like a champ, and the ability to remove magazines should not be undersold! When I took it out for my range days it always functioned never a problem and I bet I could have left it dirty and it just would have laughed at me at my pitiful attempt to make it run bad. Now as for accuracy mine did not print super accurate groups, but enough to get the job done. It should be said the mini 14 is not the biggest fan of the federal 55gr value pack ammo you pick up at walmart (not that it was meant to be :)). I was getting id say with rapid fire 2-3 MOA from various ranges. I will say that I only used ruger brand magazines ( I can't tell you how many people I heard from warning me not to buy anything other than ruger. In my opinion don't discredit this look on www.perfectunion.com for more information) I loved the mini 14 and someday i plan on buying another as they are a very fun gun to shoot! I am not saying that they are the end all be all nor would I try to.

I personally love the charging handle design, some don't whatever floats their boat. I currently own an arsenal AK that I absolutly love (o no another gun thats not 1 moa at 500yrd's ;)). In the end buy what you want and don't listen to anyone who is sooooo fanboy/caught up in this is what the navy seals/army/marine/ USPS ;) uses so it has to be this gun (insert brand and type) over this gun (again insert). Do I love ak's? Yes do I like ar's? yes. Would I own another ruger? ya. I enjoy the designs and how they perform and I could care less about being IN. With that being said there were some really good options mentioned by other members such as the saiga, I would go to the range if you can and give them a try first. It is better to make an educated choice.

Just my 2 cents,
Steve

tiger222
06-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a soft spot for the mini, especially the wood stock models.
If you want one, get it & have fun. 99.997% of us will never use our rifles for anything other than an expensive remote hole puncher for paper. All the crap people hang off their rifles will never see any real use.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-08-2011, 6:18 AM
I have both, but when something goes bump in the night I will grab my Mini-14 with legally owned 30 round mags over my tacticool Kali-neutered AR with 10 rounds in it. Outside of Kalifornia it's the AR hands down.

cabinetguy
06-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I have a older mini, and it is a workhorse. its not finicky on cleaning or ammo, but it is not a precision rifle. I also have a ar, but I have not put as much ammo through it. I would never part with my mini, as I have too many goodies for it :). come SHTF, I can also take out two zombies at once, one with the bullet and one at my 4 o'clock with the brass

luckygunner
06-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't dislike the Mini-14 and will probably get one down the road, but if I was getting just one 5.56 rifle I would get a Saiga. You get similar accuracy, rock solid accuracy and no pistol grip. You can modify as you wish down the road.

If in the same shoes I would probably save for a medium quality AR, but it's the platform I have the most experience with.

mattt
06-08-2011, 6:49 PM
I am shooting my mini at the Sac Valley 200,300 600 rmc match this Sunday

shadow65
06-08-2011, 7:02 PM
Always wanted one. Bought one. Put a bunch of money into it.
It was never as accurate as most out of box AR15's.
High capacity after market mags are hit and miss. Factory high caps at the time were very expensive.
Traded it for a Yugo.

But even after all that, I would buy another. It is what it is. A .223 plinker.
Dave

23 Blast
06-15-2011, 9:17 PM
^Well, have you decided whether to get one or not?

23 Blast
06-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes, I already made a purchase for one. Just waiting for it to arrive at my FFL to start DROS. Just wondering wich rifle bag would be good for it? looking for one that fits tight with the rifle. Ive been looking around and it seems like all rifle cases are very long. Any idea on one?

My Mini fits great inside one of those zippered "assault rifle" cases that are meant to hold an M4-gery with a collapsible buttstock. I put it in that one because I have a scope on my Mini.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd128/BasinBictory/a229a577.jpg