PDA

View Full Version : Register your OLL?

Stone
05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Should you register your OLL AR15? Is this wise?

Ed_Hazard
05-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Well when you bought it it was DROS'd, so register how?

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 11:09 AM
there is no way to register an OLL

rromeo
05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
I really don't see the purpose.

MrPlink
05-19-2011, 11:12 AM
if there was another open registration for RAWs, then hell yes I'd do it.

Some folks get paranoid about Uncle Sam knowing they have guns, but Im a law abiding citizen; I have nothing to hide.

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 11:19 AM
The DROS was destroyed after you picked up the OLL. There is no provisions in place at the DoJ to accept a registration.

If you legally bought an OLL out of state, and are now moving into CA...there is nothing you need to do. Only Pistols require you to register them within 60 days (?...90..?)

evidens83
05-19-2011, 11:21 AM
There is no long gun registration is there?

tonelar
05-19-2011, 11:21 AM
60 days

and exactly; your dros info doesnt get kept anywhere besides it only (in the case if rifles and shotguns) gives them your info and the amojnt of long guns you are buying.

RangemasterP226
05-19-2011, 11:24 AM
You can't register an OLL even if you wanted to. Were you thinking you could register it somehow and make it a CA AW?

ke6guj
05-19-2011, 11:26 AM
you can voluntarily register a long gun with CADOJ if you want, with the volreg form, but that just means that your ownership of it is on file iwth CADOJ. It doesn't make it a registered AW.

r6raff
05-19-2011, 11:29 AM
You can't register an OLL even if you wanted to. Were you thinking you could register it somehow and make it a CA AW?

Like the last poster said, I do believe you can voluntarily register long guns... but why would you? No benefit what-so-ever.

PEBKAC
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
You can submit a voluntary registration form. Being as it is voluntary, it is not required. It will also cost you 19 bucks.

Being as you would not be registering a homebuilt handgun, there are no explicit legal reasons to do so (ie: penalties for getting caught illegally concealed carrying).

In summary:
-Not required by law.
-Costs you money.
-You let the notoriously anti-gun CA DoJ know that you have a scary black rifle.

So basically, there is no reason to do so at all.

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 11:48 AM
you can voluntarily register a long gun with CADOJ if you want, with the volreg form, but that just means that your ownership of it is on file iwth CADOJ. It doesn't make it a registered AW.

Like the last poster said, I do believe you can voluntarily register long guns... but why would you? No benefit what-so-ever.

You can submit a voluntary registration form. Being as it is voluntary, it is not required. It will also cost you 19 bucks.

Being as you would not be registering a homebuilt handgun, there are no explicit legal reasons to do so (ie: penalties for getting caught illegally concealed carrying).

In summary:
-Not required by law.
-Costs you money.
-You let the notoriously anti-gun CA DoJ know that you have a scary black rifle.

So basically, there is no reason to do so at all.

No no no guys...LOL Thats an APPLICATION to register a firearm. Once you send that in with $19, you are agreeing to allow them to do a background check of you and DENY the firearm ownership...which means you MUST surrender the firearm to LEO within 30 days.

read it closely....http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

you would be a very unwise person to submit that form....

.....A firearms eligibility check will be conducted to determine whether you are lawfully
eligible to possess firearms.....

rromeo
05-19-2011, 11:54 AM
If you legally purchased the gun, why would you be denied on a background check later?

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 11:55 AM
If you legally purchased the gun, why would you be denied on a background check later?

3 words... DMV

Librarian
05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
I find an expectation of problems from volreg to be rather over-estimated here, but this IS California...

OP, what is your concern? I agree that from a viewpoint that doesn't include your specific situation, there appears to be no benefit to registering your OLL.

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I find an expectation of problems from volreg to be rather over-estimated here, but this IS California...

OP, what is your concern? I agree that from a viewpoint that doesn't include your specific situation, there appears to be no benefit to registering your OLL.

I just found out a car I turned in on a lease in 2000 is STILL registered to me. It now has several hundred dollars of unpaid tickets... These tickets hit my DMV record 25 days AFTER I picked up my Glock. This happened in 2009 and I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS... my 2010 tax refund was intercepted by the PD citation department.

So two things cross my mind. If I would have waited 30 days to buy my Glock, I would have failed a DROS. I would have cleared this up, but I know its going to take more than 30 days to do.

and

If I for some reason had to submit a volreg form after picking up my Glock, I would have failed and had to surrender my Glock to the local PD.

I have no idea what would be the procedure for getting it back...I know it would have been a nightmare.

ke6guj
05-19-2011, 1:09 PM
I just found out a car I turned in on a lease in 2000 is STILL registered to me. It now has several hundred dollars of unpaid tickets... These tickets hit my DMV record 25 days AFTER I picked up my Glock. This happened in 2009 and I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS... my 2010 tax refund was intercepted by the PD citation department.

So two things cross my mind. If I would have waited 30 days to buy my Glock, I would have failed a DROS. I would have cleared this up, but I know its going to take more than 30 days to do.

and

If I for some reason had to submit a volreg form after picking up my Glock, I would have failed and had to surrender my Glock to the local PD.

I have no idea what would be the procedure for getting it back...I know it would have been a nightmare.is it illegal to Possess firearms if you have unpaid tickets? Or are you just prohibited from purchasing? I can't see having your DL suspended (for non-felonious reasons) causes you to lose the legal ability to possess firearms.

CAL.BAR
05-19-2011, 1:17 PM

Some folks get paranoid about Uncle Sam knowing they have guns, but Im a law abiding citizen; I have nothing to hide.

"Dear Mr. Plink: Please do not worry about hiding your guns...we know exactly what you have and where you are. A friendly and helpful representative may be with you shortly if you have anything of interest to us.

Sincerely,
The Government"

MrPlink
05-19-2011, 2:49 PM
"Dear Mr. Plink: Please do not worry about hiding your guns...we know exactly what you have and where you are. A friendly and helpful representative may be with you shortly if you have anything of interest to us.

Sincerely,
The Government"

:TFH:

Colt-45
05-19-2011, 3:08 PM
Op it would be pointless.

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 3:13 PM
People are getting DROS denied for DMV problems... thats all I know. And I now have a freaking HUGE DMV problem.

RedBarchetta
05-19-2011, 4:08 PM
is it illegal to Possess firearms if you have unpaid tickets? Or are you just prohibited from purchasing? I can't see having your DL suspended (for non-felonious reasons) causes you to lose the legal ability to possess firearms.

They don't prohibit you from purchasing....at least for parking tickets.

ke6guj
05-19-2011, 4:19 PM
People are getting DROS denied for DMV problems... thats all I know. And I now have a freaking HUGE DMV problem.

right, you can get a DROS denial to purchase a firearm if you have DMV problems, but that should not prohibit you from possessing a firearm.

MrPlink
05-19-2011, 4:24 PM
right, you can get a DROS denial to purchase a firearm if you have DMV problems, but that should not prohibit you from possessing a firearm.

interesting stuff.

I'll tell my buddy that is considering "letting some parking tickets go" until he has to register his car again that its an EXTRA EXTRA bad idea, in light of this of course.

RedBarchetta
05-19-2011, 4:36 PM

Source?

I can prove this incorrect.

ke6guj
05-19-2011, 4:44 PM
Source?

I can prove this incorrect.

DMV problems can get your DL suspended, do you need a source for that?

If my DL is suspended (and I don't have a separate CA ID), then I can't provide clear evidence of my identity and age, and can't buy a firearm.

14.What identification is required for a person to purchase a firearm?
Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver's license or a valid California Identification Card issued by the DMV. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.

Temporary driver licenses and temporary identification cards (issued without photo) are not accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

(PC section 12071(c)(1))

15.What happens if there is a problem with the purchaser's driver's license?
If DROS information conflicts with the DMV driver license files or if the license is suspended or invalid, the DOJ will cancel the transaction and notify the firearms dealer. The purchaser should contact DMV to correct or update information in DMV's files. Once the DMV problem has been cleared, a new DROS may be initiated.

(PC section 12071(b)(3)(B))

but even if my DL is suspended, that does not mean that I can no longer possess firearms. So, if I submitted a volreg while I had a suspended license, that fact alone should not be a prohibiting factor that would get my firearms confiscated.

arsilva32
05-19-2011, 4:52 PM

DOH!!

Uriah02
05-19-2011, 4:58 PM
No no no guys...LOL Thats an APPLICATION to register a firearm. Once you send that in with $19, you are agreeing to allow them to do a background check of you and DENY the firearm ownership...which means you MUST surrender the firearm to LEO within 30 days.

read it closely....http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

you would be a very unwise person to submit that form....

Wow, I didn't read the small print. This is why most of my long guns were bought before I moved to PRK.

RawImpact
05-19-2011, 4:58 PM
you all got trolled lol

RedBarchetta
05-19-2011, 5:19 PM
DMV problems can get your DL suspended, do you need a source for that?

If my DL is suspended (and I don't have a separate CA ID), then I can't provide clear evidence of my identity and age, and can't buy a firearm.

Certain problems can (too many points,wreckless driving,DUI etc)....... but you guys are making it sound like your license is gonna get suspended or the state is gonna deny your DROS with parking tickets on your record.

Parking tickets follow the car's registration..... You can buy firearms,register other cars you own, and even renew your driver's license all while having multiple parking tickets on record. Or so my cousins sisters husbands brothers friends twin told me from his experience.

ke6guj
05-19-2011, 5:32 PM
I didn't say that parking tickets WOULD get your DL suspended. I said that "DMV proplems CAN get your DL suspended".

But, even with those items you mentioned being on your record and getting your DL suspended, as long as it is not a felony, it SHOULD not affect a volreg that only checks to see if you can POSSESS a firearm, not that you can PURCHASE a firearm.

Cali-Shooter
05-19-2011, 5:35 PM
Why bothering reg'ing an OLL lower? You can't get a RAW anymore. Might as well go 80% lower if you can swing it so you don't have to pay DROS/PPT also.

ihorn
05-19-2011, 5:39 PM
So along the lines that all of you are talking about, does DROS only go through the DMV system? Or does it actually go through criminal records? I would rather it go through criminal since they are the ones we want to keep guns away from.

ke6guj
05-19-2011, 5:44 PM
So along the lines that all of you are talking about, does DROS only go through the DMV system? Or does it actually go through criminal records? I would rather it go through criminal since they are the ones we want to keep guns away from.

CADOJ checks criminal, mental health, DMV records, ete during your 10-day wait. A denial can be triggered by a bad record in any one of those databases.

ihorn
05-19-2011, 5:52 PM
CADOJ checks criminal, mental health, DMV records, ete during your 10-day wait. A denial can be triggered by a bad record in any one of those databases.

Ok, just wanted to make sure.

bohoki
05-19-2011, 5:56 PM
I really don't see the purpose.

unless you register all your rifles and like to be consistant

Merc1138
05-19-2011, 6:08 PM
unless you register all your rifles and like to be consistant

Consistent for what? It doesn't make any difference in your ownership since you can't register it as an AW.

bohoki
05-19-2011, 6:47 PM
Consistent for what? It doesn't make any difference in your ownership since you can't register it as an AW.

if it is ever stolen and recovered it makes it easier for the police to inform you that they destroyed it

RawImpact
05-19-2011, 7:57 PM
Why bothering reg'ing an OLL lower? You can't get a RAW anymore. Might as well go 80% lower if you can swing it so you don't have to pay DROS/PPT also.

there is little to no savings in doing a 80% lower.

Knife Edge
05-19-2011, 8:48 PM
When did the DMV sneak in the back door with the TSA?

Stone
05-19-2011, 9:23 PM

My concern is simply minimizing the risk of getting in trouble. CA has a lot of crazy laws and I'm still trying to understand all of them before my big move, which is why I asked.

For example I know that I have to register a handgun if I bring it with me, but I don't have to register a handgun if I buy it within CA. Although I cannot concealed carry, it seems that doing so would still be wise, because if accused of concealed carry, it would reduce the charge to a misdemeanor.

Anyway, it seems that there is no similar requirement or benefit to registering an OLL firearm, so thanks for the feedback, guys

DasBoost
05-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I can't see having your DL suspended (for non-felonious reasons) causes you to lose the legal ability to possess firearms.

It happened to me when I was purchasing my K31. License got put on medical review the day before the gun show, I purchased the rifle and started DROS, and got paper notice of medical review the day after. In the DMV, it doesn't say why the DL is suspended/invalid, just that it is. Talked to a DOJ rep listed on the denial letter and explained the situation. He said get a state ID card and use that because DMV mails the paper notices out 1-2business days after the computer databases are updated. Only issue with state ID is expiration. Hope that helps.