PDA

View Full Version : Is a 2 stage trigger really all that great?

Dark Mod
05-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I have about $200 left and i still need a lower parts kit, a stock, and a magazine for my AR build. Is the 2 stage trigger really that great? didnt the m-16's we used in the corps have single stage triggers anyway? cuz those were fine to me and pretty acurate

Moress
05-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Its all about preferences imo. Its nice during a competetion cause it helps out accuract a bit when shooting off hand, but in a combat or SD situation it wont make a difference since your gonna be pulling that trigger as hard and fast as possible lol.

21SF
05-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Depends what its for, the reason people like 2 stages is that it has built in margin of safety. You can have a light pull but the first stage is take up so its harder to AD. If you had the same pull in a single stage its much easier to AD. Does that make sense? lol

pyro3k2
05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Personal preference really.

blazeaglory
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
yeah stage 2 has more forgiveness for a tense finger

apbrian112
05-19-2011, 12:05 PM
i like my RRA 2 stage triggers (have them in 2 builds), much more so than the standard triggers. On my other 2 builds i just have the JP yellow springs which brings the pull down. If you don't want to spend the money on a 2 stage i would suggest trying the JP Yellow springs, you can find them at the big stores (brownells, midway, etc.) for around $10. If you don't like them you're only out $10. just my $.02...

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
No. more to go wrong, harder to find parts for... just get a standard LPK and stock + mag.

sonnyt650
05-19-2011, 1:07 PM
A basic stock will run you at least $60 and some are upwards of $100 while an LPK is maybe $70, so you won't have enough for an adjustable two-stage trigger anyway. I emphasize adjustable because you're not giving it much of a chance when you simply replace a single spring tension with two spring tensions. Unless it breaks perfectly on the leading edge of the second stage you won't know what all the fuss is about.

Flintlock Tom
05-19-2011, 1:38 PM
I put the Rock River LPK with two-stage NM trigger in my Stag build and it really makes a difference when shooting targets. It allows you to feel right when the trigger is going to break.
Here's one for $119 including the rest of the lower parts kit and shipping:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230865679
That leaves you $80 for whatever stock you chose.

giants_fan24
05-19-2011, 2:25 PM
I've wanted one of these also, you guy kinda made up my mind for me.

hoffman259
05-19-2011, 2:30 PM
I have a timney 2 stage on an spr and love it. I also ha e a bill springfield tuned single stage on my bcm and love it for that type of rifle. IMO it depends on the purpose of the rifle and shooter preference.

carnelianbay
05-19-2011, 2:49 PM
didnt the m-16's we used in the corps have single stage triggers anyway?

With all due respect to the OP, if you had a 2-stage trigger and didnít know it then you either didnít, or you didnít use it correctly.

Now thatís an interesting sentence ;)

Dark Mod
05-19-2011, 4:24 PM
With all due respect to the OP, if you had a 2-stage trigger and didnít know it then you either didnít, or you didnít use it correctly.

Now thatís an interesting sentence ;)

At the time i didnt know what a 2 stage trigger was, all i knew was there was some guy with a smokey bear hat yelling at me all the time and just using the fundamentals i could hit black at 500 yards. Dont know if m-16's have a 2 stage trigger or not, but if its single stage then its probably good enough for me

rubber duckie
05-19-2011, 5:31 PM
At the time i didnt know what a 2 stage trigger was, all i knew was there was some guy with a smokey bear hat yelling at me all the time and just using the fundamentals i could hit black at 500 yards. Dont know if m-16's have a 2 stage trigger or not, but if its single stage then its probably good enough for me

if you pulled the trigger and you feel a "stop" exactly where it brakes.. then 2 stage.

if you pull the trigger and you don't feel a "stop" right before it brakes.. then single stage.