PDA

View Full Version : Lost Butt stock screw replacement for Wasr 10/63

kai
05-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Folks,

I unfortunately managed somehow to lose my main wooden buttstock screws/reciever while recoating the wood on my fairly recently purchased Romanian GP WASR 10/63. :mad:

I'm going to call Century Arms tomorrow, but was wondering if these are normal wooden screws that can be obtained from the Hardware Store?

Also freaked out about the muzzle brake, after I took it off. Was wondering why I couldn't get it back on, until I realized it was reverse threaded. Doh. SPent 5 min going nuts.:confused:

IS there some other tool I can use besides hammer to take off the front gas block to clean after shooting?

I managed to loose my butt stock cleaning tool, since i put the screws in there.

DOH

tujungatoes
05-19-2011, 3:21 PM
Folks,

I unfortunately managed somehow to lose my main wooden buttstock screws/reciever while recoating the wood on my fairly recently purchased Romanian GP WASR 10/63. :mad:

I'm going to call Century Arms tomorrow, but was wondering if these are normal wooden screws that can be obtained from the Hardware Store?

Also freaked out about the muzzle brake, after I took it off. Was wondering why I couldn't get it back on, until I realized it was reverse threaded. Doh. SPent 5 min going nuts.:confused:

IS there some other tool I can use besides hammer to take off the front gas block to clean after shooting?

I managed to loose my butt stock cleaning tool, since i put the screws in there.

DOH

I may have some screws laying around somewhere. I'll check. If I find 'em they're yours.

...um you don't need to take the "gas block" off....EVER. I'm hoping you've got your terms mixed up, and are referring to the "gas tube".

gas block
http://aa-ok.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x135/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/a/k/ak31_1.jpg

gas tube
http://forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/monthly_02_2010/post-1784-12668942652198_thumb.jpg

Those gas tube levers can be pretty tight sometimes. If it is taking a hammer to flip the lever you should have someone familiar look at it. Probably just a quick "bend it" or "file it" fix.

Sanderhawk
05-19-2011, 4:39 PM
I just took my AK apart today to clean it and I couldn`t get the gas tube off either. I just used my rifle cleaning rod with a clean clothe on it and ran it up in there for now. Was already a little freaked when I pulled the bolt out and figured out there were several pcs. that came out with it that I didn`t know were there. Took several minutes to figure out how they went back into the gun. All is good now.

Noobert
05-19-2011, 5:13 PM
If you're having trouble lifting the lever to release the gastube, use a pair of pliers

Rekrab
05-19-2011, 5:54 PM
If you have the AK cleaning kit, the tube has a notch in it that works great for that lever.

When I can't find my cleaning kit though, I use a rubber mallet.

kai
05-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys for your input. Yes, I got the gas tube and Gas block mixed up.

I figured out I can use the cheap cleaning rodloop to take the block off.

Yes, for the most part, I agree there is no need to takeoff the GAS TUBe. However, I will see a need to take it off and replace with pictanny rail system if I ever so desire.

This WASR 10/63 I bought from Turners, has a slightly canted Gas Block. No big deal though, still shoots very straight, and lousy wood.

I was able to find a shop in Calabasas that were able to send screws to Ventura. I hope they are the right length.

I think i'll take it to the local gunsmith if I ever decide to go tactical. Might as well straighten the block to then .

THen again. Nah!

Use it for what it is.

Will get a .308 AR build going to be my long range one day hopefully.

(Springfield 1911 Loaded, Remington 597 .22lr, 27 inch Remington 1100, GP-WASR 10/63 1968 with the Triangle)

I will post pictures in a few days.

tujungatoes
05-20-2011, 11:18 AM
You DO need to take the tube off when you clean. Especially if you shoot corrosive ammo.