PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else reach this point?

pyro3k2
05-18-2011, 7:56 PM
My AR is getting boring now, just isn't enough for my BRD anymore any suggestions on what might hit the spot?
currently the bullpup, lever, and large cal bolt guns rifles have my eye.

comblock
05-18-2011, 7:58 PM
You need more recoil. A 45-70 should cure you.

Vacaville
05-18-2011, 7:59 PM
Get yourself a lever action 45-70. That'll cover the lever and large caliber needs.

VegasND
05-18-2011, 8:00 PM
FAL

osis32
05-18-2011, 8:13 PM
Happened to me. Started an lr 308 build and bought an msar. Msar availability is pretty low for some reason. I've heard rumors they're no longer in production.

jgraham15
05-18-2011, 8:23 PM
Happened to me also so I started building different caliber AR15's. So far the 6.8 SPC is done and the 7.62x40 is in the works. I wanted to build a 6.5 Grendel also but parts availability seems to be an issue. It has really re-lit the BRD and killed the bank account! :D

Fjold
05-18-2011, 8:23 PM
Start shooting competitively.

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 8:26 PM
what do you have (as in whats your current AR) and I can toss some ideas out.

seronian
05-18-2011, 8:50 PM
Bullpup.

RugerNo1
05-18-2011, 8:53 PM

For crying out loud this is the ticket!

It opens up a whole new form of the firearms obsession!:D

pyro3k2
05-18-2011, 9:39 PM
what do you have (as in whats your current AR) and I can toss some ideas out.

At one point I had 6 AR's and now i'm down to just one and it's pretty much because I feel I have to own one and not because I want to. It's really nothing special 16inch middy in 5.56. I've owned several different cal uppers including .450 and .458 and spent more time worrying about ammo than actually enjoying my rifle. I've assembled a .308 AR already and it was "meh". With how much ammo costs for my AK's Im able to afford shooting every week not so much with .308.

I've been to 2 club 3 gun matches they seemed pretty fun but the A-type personalities there kinda killed it for me. However the long range people for the most part seem like they are having fun. I'll have to check one of those events out before I decide if it's something worth while.

pyro3k2
05-18-2011, 9:46 PM
You need more recoil. A 45-70 should cure you.

Get yourself a lever action 45-70. That'll cover the lever and large caliber needs.

Truth be told I don't know much about lever guns, i'm doing some homework.

Secret
05-18-2011, 9:49 PM
You needa see the BRD doctor, i can refer you to some if you want

BigfootHunter
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I second the bullpup, I picked up an E4 MSAR recently, and it has been extremely fun and so far no issues (don't have any of the horror stories that others seem too... :tt2:). Best part is the fact that it's an 18" 1:8 HB with a Wylde chamber and it's shorter than my 14.5" A1 stocked AR (permanent FH w/FDE Furniture) and a fully collapsed 16" AR (UDE Furniture) as seen in the below picture:

http://teambigfoothunter.com/Lineup.jpg

Notice we had to put it on a higher rung than the other guns we brought, to even allow it to sit in the top of that rack. Also, that is a 10/30 Pmag FYI.

Fate
05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Get off of the bench and into the field. BLM land, reactive targets and MOVEMENT are what you need.

pyro3k2
05-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I second the bullpup, I picked up an E4 MSAR recently, and it has been extremely fun and so far no issues (don't have any of the horror stories that others seem too... :tt2:). Best part is the fact that it's an 18" 1:8 HB with a Wylde chamber and it's shorter than my 14.5" A1 stocked AR (permanent FH w/FDE Furniture) and a fully collapsed 16" AR (UDE Furniture) as seen in the below picture:

http://teambigfoothunter.com/Lineup.jpg

Notice we had to put it on a higher rung than the other guns we brought, to even allow it to sit in the top of that rack. Also, that is a 10/30 Pmag FYI.

I've been leaning towards the non E4 version, just the thought of not having anymore AR parts and mags floating around makes me fell a little better, I'll make an exception for my pre-bans however.

Get off of the bench and into the field. BLM land, reactive targets and MOVEMENT are what you need.

I go coyote/hog hunting and I will have to agree with you 100% I think that maybe contributing to the problem, I don't use my AR for either. I'm starting to use my PSL for hog and my 6mm for coyote's.

Stormtrooperthunder
05-19-2011, 10:46 AM
If you can, try to get the MSAR STG556. I love mine

HardHatMan
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
FAL

+1 :D

chicoredneck
05-19-2011, 11:45 AM
How about a long range build? LR shooting can get pricey though.

cmace22
05-19-2011, 12:00 PM
How about a 500 S&W pump.....

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-u41hDCuDEw/Su9Kkb_-uxI/AAAAAAAALB8/qkgydAYQIB0/English.JPG

dieselpower
05-19-2011, 12:01 PM

agree. I use los padres NF as my range....lol

goodlookin1
05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
What about something custom that will keep you busy for ages? Like an HK SL8 to G36 conversion? That would be fantastical...

seronian
05-19-2011, 4:56 PM
I think this happens to alot of us sometimes the luster goes bye bye. Why not aim for something noone else has stay away from the same old blah.

jcaoloveshine
05-19-2011, 5:09 PM
get you an m1a.

i'm getting a loaded model thats coming from texas.

can't beat the badass garand-type design, detach mags, awesome iron sights, ruggedness, and 308 cartridge.

plus most will hold within 2MOA, good enough for hitting steel and practical targets.

IW378
05-19-2011, 5:16 PM
Carbine classes if you haven't already. Just to keep the skills up with rifle's you have. Try to wear em out.

pdugan6
05-19-2011, 5:17 PM
http://www.dsarms.com/images/SA58SPN.jpg

michaeld1004
05-19-2011, 5:19 PM

Absolutely!

ZX-10R
05-19-2011, 5:26 PM
FAL

This...

I feel you. After I got my WASR tweaked out. It has essentially forced my Daniel Defense into retirement. I have shot it now 1 time in the past 5 outings. I my WASR just has my attention lately...So is it's back up my 2nd WASR.

I am thinking of an FAL as well but I started off as a bolt action guy and I think that is definitely my next choice. M700 SPS...I always enjoyed bolt actions...Also looking into getting a Ruger MK III.

The bullpup MSAR would be cool but it would be too much like an AR to keep my interest long.

supersonic
05-19-2011, 5:28 PM
I found that going all over the board made things interesting for me. I never stay with one platform for too long. And after the gamut has been run, it all comes back full circle again. And I now have a genuine love & appreciation for just about every type of modern firearm known to man. AR's - LOVE 'em. AK's, ditto. WWII bolt-actions, great. Leverguns....let me at 'em. I could go on & on. Handloading also gives a lot of variety and educates you on just what your weapon is capable of, thereby adding another layer of appreciation. Being a firearms enthusiast has got to be one of the most rewarding hobbies ever.:thumbsup:

bomb_on_bus
05-19-2011, 6:20 PM
Also get into reloading. Then a large bore caliber say .375 Cheytac and take it out as far as you can on targets then hoan your skills.

But then again it sounds like your limiting factor is your budget which can be a major fun killer for just about any hobby.

Colt-45
05-19-2011, 6:26 PM
Bullpup? You need an FS2000.

X-NewYawker
05-19-2011, 6:31 PM
Get a Walther WA2000

762.DEFENSE
05-19-2011, 6:45 PM
Go a little bit "mall ninja" on one of your builds. :D

FourLoko
05-19-2011, 7:25 PM
try something other than bench shooting

intheknow
05-19-2011, 7:29 PM
I am not bored of my AR... but still looking to purchase a Rem700 in .308 soon.. Just want to have a variety of arms and master them.. including 2 pistols... thatll complete the family

docsmileyface
05-19-2011, 8:24 PM
I got a SCAR 17S - pretty much cured me of ARs; except now I want a SCAR 16S....

carnelianbay
05-19-2011, 9:14 PM
If you’re into history you may try buying it (a historical armory). Starting with modern cartridges there’s everything from the 30-40 KRAG to the M4. You do have to follow a track or else you’ll go crazy. Mine was 30-40 KRAG, m1903, M1 Garand, M1A, M4, (passed on the M1 Carbine but will probably get it someday). The next in that track for me is a 17S on the modern side. Going back in years I’m now researching Springfield 1886 Trapdoor’s. Next will be Percussion and then Flintlock. Think about it: Flintlock to 17S. A collection to hand down to my son someday. Too bad in this day and age we have to keep them all lock up instead of displaying them.

I have as much enjoyment researching the history and all of the possible configurations of these rifle as I’ve had shooting them. They make great conversation pieces also. You meet some very interesting people. For example Rick the Librarian on m1903.org is a great guy. Stepped me through everything, then did an post sale assessment of every part of my m1903 and KRAG down to the band markings.

Another track I thought about was based off of a series that I’m sure you’ve all seen: Top 10 Combat Rifles. I’d only need a few to say that I had them all (at least civilian examples). These include FAL, Enfield, Steyr, and a Sturmgewehr. Honestly I’ll stick to American Military pieces first.

A unique track if you’re a little bored and into more than just blowing up watermelons. :D

pyro3k2
05-19-2011, 10:10 PM
What about something custom that will keep you busy for ages? Like an HK SL8 to G36 conversion? That would be fantastical...

I think this happens to alot of us sometimes the luster goes bye bye. Why not aim for something noone else has stay away from the same old blah.

I've been kicking around a similar idea, that usually holds me over for a while.

try something other than bench shooting

I do a good amount of non-bench shooting and am still bored with my AR.
I go coyote/hog hunting and I will have to agree with you 100% I think that maybe contributing to the problem, I don't use my AR for either. I'm starting to use my PSL for hog and my 6mm for coyote's.

Get a Walther WA2000

Don't those go for like 40k?

Also get into reloading. Then a large bore caliber say .375 Cheytac and take it out as far as you can on targets then hoan your skills.

But then again it sounds like your limiting factor is your budget which can be a major fun killer for just about any hobby.

not so much budget i'll save for a few years if it's worth it. Time would be my limiting factor, I just don't want to waste it.

How about a long range build? LR shooting can get pricey though.

I forget but someone on this site invites people to the long range shooting events and always talks smack about no one bringing an AK pattern, well i'm putting in a ton of trigger time on my PSL so I won't make too much of a fool of myself when I'm ready for that. Should prove to be a very interesting day :D

Bhobbs
05-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Get a nice M1903a3 and learn to shoot the hell out of it. Hand load and they are extremely accurate rifles.

I built a M4gery with my father and took it to the range for the first time a long with my M1 Garand. Shooting the M1 after the AR quickly eliminated the BRD I picked up. I still like ARs but they aren't as exciting as a M1 Garand.