PDA

View Full Version : CA Law regarding AR 15 .22LR high cap rebuild mag parts

shadow65
05-18-2011, 7:51 PM
Can someone educate me on the CA laws regarding high capacity rebuild kits, specifically for AR15 .22 magazines?
I've seen rebuild kits for .22 mags from a couple of distributors. But I want to make sure I don't cross any CA laws if I decide to provide them.
I'm also looking at converting the 25 round mag bodies to 10 round, maintaining the 25 round size. Beyond what I can do
Any interest in these?
Dave N

jimbos44
05-18-2011, 8:29 PM
22 mags for what ?

shadow65
05-18-2011, 8:35 PM
AR15 conversions

Reductio
05-18-2011, 8:40 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

10/25 mags would probably be appreciated, though I believe they are available as such from some manufacturers.

mr2lor
05-18-2011, 9:13 PM
I'm interested in something like this:

http://store.ar15.com/store/product.html?cat=9&prod=158

BDM 10 round mags in FULL LENGTH magazines (same size as the 27 round mags) that are blocked off to accommodate no more than 10 rounds.

Cali-Shooter
05-18-2011, 9:20 PM
Just an FYI, it's 100% legal to have any rebuild kit of a high capacity magazine, as long as you don't assembled it into a 'hi-cap.' Your legal options are keeping them in parts, or building 10 rounders with them (you already know this).

NorCalDustin
05-18-2011, 9:36 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

10/25 mags would probably be appreciated, though I believe they are available as such from some manufacturers.
That covers everything...

Basically... You are free to ship ANY magazine parts into California... This includes rebuild kits, which are just kits with several parts (the mag body is still considered a "part")...

You are NOT able to import into California "large capacity magazines". However, once a "large-capacity magazine" is disassembled, it becomes a "rebuild kit" and can be legally bought, sold, and imported into California. Bottom line, You can legally posses any rebuild kit you want... Hell, there are many guys on CalGuns with Beta-C rebuild kits that they use out of state.

The conditions under which said kits may be used in legal ways (This is not necessarily an end all be all list):

They can be used to assemble a magazine that is legally blocked to 10 rounds or less.
They can be assembled and used WHEN OUT OF STATE (I.E., When in Nevada)... Prior to coming back into the state, they must be disassembled.
They can be used to REBUILD EXISTING, legally owned, "large-capacity magazines" --This really is actually a possible legal outcome, as there are some people in California that already legally own "large-capacity magazines" that have parts that are compatible with say the CMMG mags...

Personally, I would jump at the opportunity to buy some rebuild kits. I've already successfully converted one CMMG magazine rebuild kit into a 10/25 magazine using the old style of follower... And I must say, It is very nice. ---It took me about an hour to get it to the point where I liked it... But, It was worth it. Would I convert more? Maybe... But, I would rather have more rebuild kits to simply use out of state. I mean, I'm an hour away from Nevada and can use whatever I want there.

On a side note: The option for guys to make a 10/25 mag, would be perfect for those guys who want to run a Tactical Carbine class with their CMMG .22LR Rifles... Which, in my opinion, is totally a possibility due to the reliability of said rifles.

shadow65
05-19-2011, 5:24 AM
Thanks guys. It kills me know CMMG doesn't have the 10 round BHOA mags for you guys. But if I can sell them as rebuild kits I could get mags to you.
I'll see what I can do.

NorCalDustin
05-19-2011, 8:30 AM
Thanks guys. It kills me know CMMG doesn't have the 10 round BHOA mags for you guys. But if I can sell them as rebuild kits I could get mags to you.
I'll see what I can do.

Sweet!

C_S
05-19-2011, 8:52 AM
I'll see what I can do.

It kills us too.

Thanks for your efforts for those of us in California.

USMC VET
05-19-2011, 10:19 AM
As already said, rebuild kits are 100% legal, I just bought two 22 round rebuilds for my gsg. The shipper assumes you will adhere to the law by not assembling the mag in state and the buyer assumes the mag will come in parts and not assembled. No laws crossed!

shadow65
05-19-2011, 12:50 PM
You guys let me know if you want the rebuild kits. I'm going to have to see what I'm looking at. I'm not a business as you know. The price would have to go up because I would have to pay shipping for the mags to me, take them apart, package and ship them to you.
IM me if you are interested.
Dave

thatsteveguy
05-19-2011, 1:08 PM
Am I correct in recalling that the modified mag MUST be a permanent mod? In other words I can't swap out the modified mag block when I'm in a free state and then replace the block when I'm back in CA?