PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area Ranges that allow 50 bmg

scottj
12-05-2006, 9:16 AM
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread. Which Bay Area Ranges allow 50 bmg and are open to the public on the weekends. I think I may finally be ready to shoot my Ultramag this weekend.

Thanks!

Aluisious
12-05-2006, 9:21 AM
.50 BMG makes baby Buddha cry. Do you think we would be allowed to shoot it in the Bay Area?

jk, I have no idea ;)

triggerhappy
12-05-2006, 9:23 AM
Oh man! I thought I was gonna have a good weekend as I'm picking up my xd45 this weekend! I guess I'll live vicariously through you.:) I can only imagine the recoil, but I know I'd like it...

bwiese
12-05-2006, 9:24 AM
Chabot allows 50BMG on occasion:

Centerfire caliber's 50 BMG's or larger are permitted only on Monday after 1 PM. Use is also dependant on crowding and other factors, such as Monday holidays. If, in the the opinion of the Range staff, any firearm is unsuitable for any particular range at any particular time, its use may be prohibited. Call in advance.

Los Altos Rod & Gun doesn't. Perhaps special permission might be granted on a quiet day.

chiefcrash
12-05-2006, 9:29 AM
i know .50 BMG is only allowed at Chabot on mondays....

not sure about the Richmond range, try calling them

you should be good at coyote point, but i'm not sure if they're open on the weekends...

looks like you'll need to take a trip to some BLM land...

luvtolean
12-05-2006, 9:31 AM
I asked Metcalf about it, and they said yes, though that's only a 100 yd range. (they did say to stay away from their booth though. ;) )

Call first and verify.

69Mach1
12-05-2006, 9:31 AM
scotj, also call ahead to make sure the ammo is OK to use. Unless you're reloading Hornady AMAX bullets all surplus and remanufactured 50 BMG have steel cores.

bu-bye
12-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Laguna Seca in the Monterey Bay allows 50 BMG all days they are open (F,S,S,M). they have paper out to 200 yards and Gongs out to 300 yards. Oh, and you can use any bullet type you want (steel core OK).

50 Freak
12-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Metcalf definitely allows 50s. I've shot them there on many occasions.

They also have the 200 yard range open the 4th Sunday for the 50's and other long range toys.

ketec_owner
12-05-2006, 10:10 AM
USI does. I've seen AR-50s out there - way at the end of the firing line.

shooterx10
12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Last time I checked, Circle S Ranch in Petaluma allows .50's, however, you are shooting in the ranch owner's frontyard! :eek: However, the facilities are a dive, so go prepared.

Here is the website: http://www.sonomashooting.org/circles.html

+1 for USI, but you can't shoot steel core ammo on the dry, hot days because of fire hazard.

C123K_LoadMaster
12-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Laguna Seca in the Monterey Bay allows 50 BMG all days they are open (F,S,S,M). they have paper out to 200 yards and Gongs out to 300 yards. Oh, and you can use any bullet type you want (steel core OK).

I have not been down to the Laguna Seca range in about 5 years, but I don't believe they allow you to shoot the gong with 50 BMG. The Swiss Rifle Club used to allow 50 BMG until someone shot up their gong with one. Now no 50 bmgs are allowed on their range.

Tunis
12-05-2006, 3:42 PM
off the subject, but does metcalf sweat people with ar's???

50 Freak
12-05-2006, 4:12 PM
Nope, Metcalf is cool with everything.

They just don't like dumb shooters or gang bangers. If you go there and look like you know what you're doing and don't play with your guns during a cease fire, they will pretty much leave you alone.

I've taken my 1919 belt fed and my buddy took his belt fed, and we both had a blast shooting through hundreds of rounds of 308 without the rangemasters batting an eye.

They do come over and check out my toys every now and then, but that's because I'll bring something they don't see very much of.

CSACANNONEER
12-05-2006, 4:48 PM
50BMGBOB runs 50 matches at USI. I've never been there but, I have shot with Bob at the FCSA Reno matches. You really should consider shooting a match and talking with REAL 50 shooters before you start making mistakes like buying bad equipment. Also, you should join the FCSA and get on our members forum. It's a wealth of GOOD information.

koiloco
12-05-2006, 8:35 PM
50BMGBOB runs 50 matches at USI. I've never been there but, I have shot with Bob at the FCSA Reno matches. You really should consider shooting a match and talking with REAL 50 shooters before you start making mistakes like buying bad equipment. Also, you should join the FCSA and get on our members forum. It's a wealth of GOOD information.

Wow, I did not know there is REAL and FAKE 50 shooters :rolleyes:

what do I need to do to be a REAL 50 shooter?

Please enlighten me.

bu-bye
12-05-2006, 8:48 PM
I have not been down to the Laguna Seca range in about 5 years, but I don't believe they allow you to shoot the gong with 50 BMG. The Swiss Rifle Club used to allow 50 BMG until someone shot up their gong with one. Now no 50 bmgs are allowed on their range.

Just spoke with them a couple months ago and they said 50BMG's are fine. I did not ask about the gong but I do know that they replace them every now and then anyway. I have seen the old ones they pull down and they look like very cool. They have hundreds of craters and holes covering every inch. I watched a guy with a 338 Lapua blow holes right through it.

C123K_LoadMaster
12-05-2006, 9:38 PM
Just spoke with them a couple months ago and they said 50BMG's are fine. I did not ask about the gong but I do know that they replace them every now and then anyway. I have seen the old ones they pull down and they look like very cool. They have hundreds of craters and holes covering every inch. I watched a guy with a 338 Lapua blow holes right through it.

I had shot my Barrett many times down at the Laguna Seca range between 1997 and 2001. What I enjoyed most was letting others shoot the 82A1. The enjoyment on their faces was priceless.

BTW we were finally able to make it up to Pinecrest in the Sierras two weeks ago for a fine day of shooting. My friend, who works for the Forest Service part time, found us a perfect spot off the beaten path for sending 1/2 inch projectiles down range.

http://www.fototime.com/5D3D2757B50ECC4/standard.jpg

50BMGBOB
12-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes, USI lets you shoot 50BMG anytime on the public range (open 6 days a week). Only 100 yards. There members range is 200 yards and they are allowed there as well except some of the competions don't allow them. Also, no shooting steel targets or steel core ammo. We do have a one day 50BMG match twice a year on the 200 yard range. Next one is in March.

The FCSA has 1,000 yard matches. The closest is in Reno. The next is in April. Friday sight in and the match is Sat & Sun. Hope to see you at both of them.

scottj
12-08-2006, 6:46 PM
Thanks for all the info gang. Looks like I have to work this (rainy) weekend anyway.

Scott