PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Sig Mosquito - 22LR

santamonica9
05-18-2011, 7:59 PM
should I buy a sig mosquito 22lr pistol? brand new 350 plus dros&fees? I want a economical practice pistol and im leaning toward this one. any thoughts? thank you

bjl333
05-18-2011, 8:02 PM
I got mine at Turners for $299 ++ & I have not experience anything bad with my 'Squito. It has all the same features of the other SIGs, just in a 90% package!!

My vote: :thumbsup:

Ackrite
05-18-2011, 8:06 PM
I have one and it is fun as hell to shoot. I haven't had any issues with it as long as I keep a bottle of remoil around and feed it CCI minimags.

pontiacpratt
05-18-2011, 8:15 PM
As I understand the first few were temperamental but it seems they worked some of the bugs out.

Eat Dirt
05-18-2011, 8:19 PM
How come we see used ones in the 'Firearms for Sale ' section all the time??

Must be a reason //// Just saying

rubber duckie
05-18-2011, 8:37 PM
i just noticed you don't have any handguns in your roster. why not get a handgun then get a .22 conversion?

wc12
05-18-2011, 9:08 PM
Mine likes the Federal Champion (bulk blue box) and CCI bulk. Only problem is ftf with the federal.

Milspec714
05-18-2011, 9:49 PM
All .22 rounds except Armscor :no: work great in my Skeeter... than theres that one aftermarket plastic mag that dont work that well either... other than that works awesome... My daughters fav to shoot...

yelohamr
05-18-2011, 10:02 PM

It could be:

A) They don't know how to take care of it,

B) Only tried cheap bulk ammo that would FTE.

C) Believed the stories of the ones that fit A or B.

mkane
05-19-2011, 7:23 AM
We have a couple, still running fine.

MacOtac
05-19-2011, 7:28 AM
I hear GUNS DIRECT has them for a good deal...:90:

MaHoTex
05-19-2011, 7:43 AM
I like my Mosquito. You might also want to consider the newly approved ISSC M22.

Joewy
05-19-2011, 7:57 AM
Mine works great. Fires most jacketed ammo. At first it needed a lot of oil but as it broke in it works great. Dosent like really cheap bulk ammo.

yelohamr
05-19-2011, 10:34 AM
:dupe: :D The OP has two threads with the same title.

bartt
05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
The mosquito is a nice little pistol. It does not like to be dirty. Clean it after each use, which is IMO a good habit to get into anyway.
It loves CCI minimags and is ok with federal high vel. bulk ammo. Both are available at Walmart pretty cheaply.
Keep it lubed and it is a blast to shoot.
There is also a youtube video on polishing the feed ramp that is highly recommended.
Good luck with your new toy.. :-)

Deadbird
05-19-2011, 4:05 PM
Get one.
I sure like mine.
Minimag CCI ammo ha sbeen trouble free for me.

loose_electron
05-19-2011, 4:31 PM
I like my mosquito - a couple pointers -

Read around for ifo on the gun -

- use the right recoil spring
CCI minimags are very relaible
can be a big problem with bulk ammo
run 100-200 rounds then tear down and polish up the wear points in the gun (my version of "breaking it in")

that first 100 or so rounds will show what rubs against what and then you can smooth the wear points with 600 grit sandpaper

its a good gun, but a lot of 22 pistols are fussy about ammo, because the 22 is such a light round

BitterOldMan
05-19-2011, 4:45 PM
I recommend no. For 22 lr pistols, I have the Sig Mosquito, Sig Hammerli, Walther P22, Ruger Mk I & II. The Sig Mosquito is picky on ammo (as others said CCI MiniMags only). You need to keep it clean and oily. I personally don't like the trigger. I like shooting my Mk II and Sig Hammerli. One of the other posters said to rent one before buying. The gun also looks cheap once you take it apart. I do not believe that the gun will last more than a couple of years, since the slide of made of zinc. The range master at Jackson Arms showed me a rental with a blow up barrel. If I did my homework and asked around before buying, I will not have bought one.

Skunk2Racer
05-19-2011, 5:55 PM

Funny I see plenty Glock 17,19, 22 etc. H&K USP, P2000. Sig 226, 229 etc
On sale "Used" also. They must "Suck" also.:eek:

m1a1driver
05-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Mine shoots fine, it works with bulk ammo but you do get FTE's\stovepipes every so often but its not enough to really get PO'd about. It works great with Mini mags but I do shoot fed bulk and rem bulk in them a lot. Buy a small amount of each brand and try it out. Then whateve works best buy more of it.

santamonica9
05-20-2011, 1:32 AM
i just noticed you don't have any handguns in your roster. why not get a handgun then get a .22 conversion?

id like to get a dedicated 22 trainer - I dip into to the family safe for dads hand cannons BUT I want to start my own collection. Plus he's an old school wheel gun guy :)

Due to the price of ammo I'd like to get more practice with a traditional pistol style. the walther 22 I held was way too small & the ruger MK's (as good as they are, especially those match ones) are not in the style suitable for pistol practice. Meaning rack the slide the way you would on a 9 or 45....ie glock 17 or any 1911 style gun

thanks everyone, im leaning on the YES side

Nate87
05-20-2011, 2:30 AM
OR, if you are willing to wait for the GSG 1911, you can do that. Having both the Skeeter and GSG, I'd go with the gsg if I had to choose between the two. Works and feels like a real 1911. Customizable as well with many parts being interchangable with regular 1911 parts.

What Just Happened?
05-20-2011, 7:46 AM
I bought one 4 years ago and sold it 3 years ago. I found that hollowpoint rounds gave it trouble and failure-to-feed's and that non-high-velocity rounds would not eject. I didn't want to have to keep buying CCI Mini-Mags, so I sold it and haven't regretted it since. If I were to buy a 22lr handgun (I currently don't have one), I would go with a Buckmark / Ruger Mark _ or a Ruger Single Six.

Skunk2Racer
05-20-2011, 7:17 PM
I just picked up Mine.

Tom-ADC
05-20-2011, 7:22 PM
Duncan's in San Diego has them on sale tomorrow for $299.

Tzvia
05-20-2011, 8:43 PM
I bought mine about 3.5 years ago. At first, it would not cycle anything. Though it came with a light and heavy spring, swapping them and trying whatever ammo I had was just a waste of time, until I tried the light spring with the Remington Golden Turds. That worked. Ok, about 800 minute-of-dinner-plate accuracy at 14' later (I'm thinking it's that crappy ammo), I put it aside and move on. Took it out a few times, but eh I've got other .22s that are more accurate.

Last month, I took it out to BLM land for a weekend of fun, and brought along a bunch of different ammo, Winchester Wildcat, Red and Blue box Federal Bulk, CCI Blazer and MiniMag, more Turds, some Wolf Match. Well, I'll be... It fires and CYCLES the Blazer stuff now! Never did that before. And it is much more accurate than that Remington crap. I actually had FUN popping clays and fruit at 20~40', so much so that I did not bother to shoot my CMMG 22 AR.

Yep, long break-in time on the little Mosquito. Lube it well, clean it regularly, and don't bother with the heavy spring unless you are shooting MiniMags (or similar) out of it. The spring is directional, too. Never noticed that before, maybe that was part of the problem? Not a bad little gun, and actually fun to shoot. But I am still gonna get a GSG 1911 when they are available.

Fiiyablade
05-20-2011, 9:10 PM
Yeah im borderline between the mosquito and the p22

VytamenC Tactical
05-20-2011, 10:06 PM
i bought one a few years ago dont get me wrong there nice. BUT all they want to shoot are mini mags which are expensive compared to other .22 ammo. imho i would buy something the will eat all kinds of .22 ammo

MaHoTex
05-21-2011, 8:43 AM
If the Rugers were not so darn ugly... I think the best 22LR pistols are the Ruger and the Buckmark. Those two get the best reviews.

My wife wanted the Sig though, so that is what she got. I need to get myself a 22LR Pistol so we will see... Again, that ISSC M22 looks good, but who knows how it works. Another one that is worth considering is the GSG 1911. Not sure of the Jam factor on either of those. I do like the ergonomics of the Sig, but as already said, without the CCIs it is hit an miss if it will FTF or not. It seems one round out of every mag jams using federals.

gose
05-21-2011, 8:53 AM
It could be:
A) They don't know how to take care of it,
B) Only tried cheap bulk ammo that would FTE.
C) Believed the stories of the ones that fit A or B.

A) I've been shooting competitively where a working gun is paramount for 20 years, so I think I can say that I kn ow how to take care of a gun.
B) I tried 15 different brands with both springs, a wide variety from cheap bulk packs, to minimags, as well as Lapua Pistol match and Federal GMM.

and mine just didnt work very well, period. A lot of gun owners tend to talk up the guns they own, so listening to the people with issues is usually a better indicator than the ones praising them.

For plinking, I'd recommend getting a Buckmark, S&W 22A or 22/45 or something similar instead.

MaHoTex
05-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Gose, The only problem with your theory is that a higher percentage of people will complain about something than will praise it. So the majority of the noise you will hear will be negative. I have had very few problems with my Mosquito, and for making holes in paper it is a fine pistol. Sure there are failure to feeds with bulk ammo, but with CCIs it works without flaw 95% of the time.

I do agree with you sentiment on the 22/45 or the Buckmark. Fine pistols, ugly as sin. Trigger is great on the 22/45 not sure about the buckmark however.

gose
05-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Gose, The only problem with your theory is that a higher percentage of people will complain about something than will praise it. So the majority of the noise you will hear will be negative. I have had very few problems with my Mosquito, and for making holes in paper it is a fine pistol. Sure there are failure to feeds with bulk ammo, but with CCIs it works without flaw 95% of the time.
I do agree with you sentiment on the 22/45 or the Buckmark. Fine pistols, ugly as sin. Trigger is great on the 22/45 not sure about the buckmark however.

I know that's the generally accepted norm, but I've seen so many guns that never jam jam, and so many rifles that can shoot 0.5 MOA "all day" shoot no better than maybe an occasional 1 MOA group, that I'm not sure if it applies to guns and gun owners ;)

Might also add that I have a very low tolerance for things that dont work, so yeah, my Mosquito was probably also 95% with CCIs and in my book, that falls somewhere between "doesnt work very well" and POS.

Mamluke
05-22-2011, 12:59 PM
My first Mosquito gave me lots of FTE & FTF, despite trying different ammo and keeping the darn thing oiled...kinda hard to do with desert winds blowing at 30 mph...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/Cuddeback%20Lake/Sig19.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/Cuddeback%20Lake/Sig15.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/Cuddeback%20Lake/Sig11.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/Cuddeback%20Lake/Sig5.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/Cuddeback%20Lake/Sig8.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/Cuddeback%20Lake/Sig6.jpg

Operating it bordered on danger with so many FTF, FTE...so I sold it.

Then I learned that Sig has made plenty of improvements, so got me a new one on sale from Turner's Outdoorsmen for $299... GREAT DEAL!!!

Owner's manual recommended CCI minimags for best results... after having shot about 600 rounds of minimags, not a single FTF, FTE... I'm so pleased!!
I was impressed by its accuracy, ease of maintenance and redundant safety features...Over all, the NEW Mosquito is a great gun!!!

My 2 cents...

Skunk2Racer
05-22-2011, 1:07 PM
Shot 200 rounds through it yesterday. I'm Happy with it. Recoil is SO light I was able to fire 1 handed Right & Left with it. Hm i might go buy another one.....

santamonica9
05-23-2011, 12:24 AM
so the new ones are good to go :) especially after my research on DIY smithing on the feed ramp to smooth things all out

TURBOELKY
05-23-2011, 12:34 AM
I like my buddy's Walther P22, have you shot one?

santamonica9
05-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I did shoot the walther 22 but the darn angle & grip was too small and it felt wierd to me. I decided to go with the Sig Mosquito. The new versions have been cleaned up so they feed better - just remember to use high velocity rounds is what I have heard.

Sadly I missed the sale @ Turners and tried to get one regular price BUT they had sold out so I went and started the thing with MB Retting in culver city. the price was $7 dollars more than Turners non-sale deal .... $357 That store can be difficult for new shooters b/c they are the only reall gun store left in the city part. Thus they get allot of lookie lou's and deal with some idiot people. Cant go wrone with the help of a long haired guy named Grey (knows allot about all firearms) or Eddie (pistol guru) - some of the older guys still have that snob gun store mentality..."the savage 308's suck compared to a real 308 rifle like the remington 700.."

Anyways, thanks everyone for their input on my decision - now I dont need to dip into the family collection to practice my pistol shooting. Thank you again my fellow Calguners!!!

bartt
05-24-2011, 8:24 PM
Glad to hear you're going ahead with it.
Just ran 100 rounds thru my wifes, after spraying it with GunSlick ultra lube. That stuff is really nice. You might want to get some..
Don't forget the feed ramp polish it really does help.

Ricky-Ray
05-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I was thinking about getting one too but I'm going to hold our for the GSG 1911 instead.

Horta
05-31-2011, 8:18 PM
I bought my Sig mosquito because it is basically a small Sig P226 which I also own. The break-in takes a while and I did some smoothing on the load ramp but it has turned out to be a sweet, accurate shooter. It has the same basic functions, sighting and feel of a P226 but shoots much cheaper ammo.

santamonica9
06-01-2011, 9:03 PM
the ten day wait has begun today - I paid the rest off & dros'd :D

by the way, do people really Fail the HSC test? the test seemed logical and super easy for anyone familiar to the shooting sport

Jyruiz
06-01-2011, 9:21 PM
the ten day wait has begun today - I paid the rest off & dros'd :D

by the way, do people really Fail the HSC test? the test seemed logical and super easy for anyone familiar to the shooting sport

Yes, a buddy of mine was at a Turners and said some guy had failed it and his friends were making fun of him.

rabagley
06-02-2011, 12:10 AM
I recommend the Beretta Neos instead of the Sign Mosquito. After owning both for some time, I've kept the Neos and will use it as a semi-auto trainer and sold the Sig to someone else (while being honest about the fact that I didn't like it). Too many FTF and FTE's on all sorts of ammo, including Eley and Wolf match ammo.

santamonica9
06-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I did look @ the NEOS and it was a cool gun but the fact the little Mosquito is just like its big brothers (ergonomics) IT would be a great training/plinking practice on the cheap

the new ones made in the last 6 months to a year have had improvements done from the factory PLUS a little smoothing out the feed ramp works wonders. Thanks everyone for your thoughts & advice - Calguns to the rescue again!!

mkane
06-04-2011, 9:27 AM
We have a Mosquito. Fun so far. Hasn't broke, shoot's bulk just fine after 1000 rounds of mini-mags. Not very accurate, but I need lot's more practice with this. So far so good.

norcal-ar
06-05-2011, 8:34 AM
I have one and it is fun as hell to shoot. I haven't had any issues with it as long as I keep a bottle of remoil around and feed it CCI minimags.

pretty much!!! thats what I have to say about it.

AutoDriver
06-05-2011, 8:48 AM
"We have a Mosquito. Fun so far. Hasn't broke, shoot's bulk just fine after 1000 rounds of mini-mags. Not very accurate, but I need lot's more practice with this. So far so good."

Does Mosquito's soft spring needs break-in? Will it be harder or longer break-in for the hard spring?

Shoot-it
06-05-2011, 9:47 AM
I have gone threw a lot with mine .Polished the feed ramps polished the chamber .

Basically it was made to shoot CCI ammo like others had said it will cycle federal blue box just fine. All the others will just give you problems.

Jyruiz
06-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I opted for the Walther, but might get a Mosquito as well later on. One can neve have enough guns.

AutoDriver
06-09-2011, 11:39 AM
The gun dealer told me the same thing: One can never have enough guns!

santamonica9
06-10-2011, 1:13 PM
one more day till I pick it up.... who wants to go to the range? Angeles, A place to shoot, do something during the week @ L.A. Gun Club? I have to break in my new 22 :D

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
06-11-2011, 12:22 PM
one more day till I pick it up.... who wants to go to the range? Angeles, A place to shoot, do something during the week @ L.A. Gun Club? I have to break in my new 22 :D

You may be able to save yourself some frustration my breaking in with CCI Minimags (expensive IMHO) or try my method.

Give it the initial cleaning, then lube it up really good. Then just rack the slide. I did mine about 1k times before ever taking it to the range and I had (have) very few issues. I shoot Remington Golden Bullets, Federal 550 packs and the Federal Target 375 packs. I do have an occassional FTE, FTF but the FTE issues typically don't occur until I hit the 400 rd mark in a session. I have over 2500 rds through mine.

I did look @ the NEOS and it was a cool gun but the fact the little Mosquito is just like its big brothers (ergonomics) IT would be a great training/plinking practice on the cheap

I also have a P226, P229 and P220. Yes the controls are in the same place, except for the safety on the Mosquito, but mine, at least, is not the same.

Tzvia
06-12-2011, 3:13 PM
drdarrin-
I found that break-in on mine went much easier than racking the slide till my hand fell off. I just bought a few bulk boxes of Remington Golden Turd ammo and hit the range a few times. There you go, broken in. I've never had a bobble with those turds. Now it shoots CCI Blazer just fine :). My Mosquito is an early one bought in '06 or early '07 btw and could only function with turds for some amount north of 500 rounds. I actually gave up on anything else and only found out last month that it works with blazers, as I had given up on it for a few years. Now it goes to the range with me just about every time.

santamonica9
06-22-2011, 3:04 PM
so.... I took her to the range to break her in & woah those golden turds ffrom remington suck in my mosquito. My 22 rifles eat them all day long but the Sig wont. It did digest about 400 rounds of the CCI flawlessly. My end conclusion, polish up the feed ramp and polish the trigger parts to get a nice crisp pull.

joe321
06-22-2011, 4:04 PM
I've read that the Mosquito comes with 2 springs and if you install the lighter spring, that it will be less finicky about the ammo. Also, I guess the spring is directional? But, i'm not sure if that is true.

If anyone cares to test this out, I'd like to know the results.

AutoDriver
06-22-2011, 5:46 PM
I've read that the Mosquito comes with 2 springs and if you install the lighter spring, that it will be less finicky about the ammo. Also, I guess the spring is directional? But, i'm not sure if that is true.

If anyone cares to test this out, I'd like to know the results.

Yes, Mosquito comes with 2 springs. Factory installed the shorter and stronger spring. The spare spring is longer and weaker spring. To break-in the shorter-stronger spring, Sig Sauer suggests you use high-speed .22LR rounds. I ran 500 rounds of CCI MiniMag without any issue. I am not sure if longer-weaker spring needs break-in.

All semi-automatic .22LR pistols suffer similar cartridge sensitive issue because .22LR is a lot weaker than 9mm, .357Sig, .40, .45, ...

advocatusdiaboli
06-24-2011, 3:15 PM

His roster? You mean his Signature? Am I missing someplace I should be listing my firearms.