PDA

View Full Version : $$$ak$$$

12-05-2006, 9:15 AM
Hey guys, I put together a couple of OLLs. Now I'm thinking about an AK build. My question is, how much money should I expect to pay for the entire build?

Charliegone
12-05-2006, 9:21 AM
How? (Udrive, rivets, screws)

Are you building yourself or you want someone to do it?
If you do it yourself it will be a lot cheaper probably around 300 bucks I'd say. If you want someone to do it...I'd say around 500 (if you are going to send it to someone to build, locally I have no idea, but I hear Grammaton does builds:D ) This will all include USA made parts, rivets, etc.

100 buck a kit
50-100 bucks for a receiver
100 bucks in us made parts, rivets..

yeah about 300 bucks

JPglee1
12-05-2006, 9:26 AM
^^^ What he said.

IF you got a welder and do it all yourself you can do it for closer to $225-250, or if you buy the rivet tools and re-sell them you can do it cheap as well.

JP

12-05-2006, 9:28 AM
Thanks!!

fal_762x51
12-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Rivets $10
DPHarm's Romanian with G2 $124
NDS-3 $55
Floorplate $3
Chicom mag $5
Follower $1.99
Brake $12

Under $230. Oh and a thing of 1200 degree manifold paint.

jemaddux
12-05-2006, 2:08 PM
Rivets $10
DPHarm's Romanian with G2 $124
NDS-3 $55
Floorplate $3
Chicom mag $5
Follower $1.99
Brake $12

Under $230. Oh and a thing of 1200 degree manifold paint.

Lets get a little more real with the price on these.

Romanian kit in good condition, not rusted up junk with mixed matched numbers your looking at about $150 plus a normal $15 for shipping (also finding people that have good ones that will ship to California is another thing) so figure $165 there.

NDS-3 $55 plus the dealer fee and the shipping and the dros so figure you have $125 there

So then figure the U.S. compliance parts, trigger, piston, mag, muzzle break and so on is another $100

So there is $390 right there and add you rivet set and you have an even $400 before you even start.

Now, get into your grinders, sanders, drill press, press, puches and all the rest and you can see why myself and other charge $550 to $600 for a custom built one. I would LOVE to see what a $230 AK build would look like:eek: .

It wouldn't look anything like this...

I had about 12 to 14 hours into this one with all the wood work and baking paint and so on

leelaw
12-05-2006, 2:16 PM
If you want a beautifully done rifle, expect to pay for it.

This is an ~$600 CA-AK.

http://www.apt401.com/meak.jpg

The price will be higher, soon - I've sent off the handguards for professional refinishing. :eek:

TonyNorCal
12-05-2006, 2:18 PM
Another option is to just buy a complete one and have it rendered CA-compliant prior to it being sent here. You may save some money this way. Of coruse, a lot of it depends on whether you may want to build several (and invest in tools) and how much effort you want to put into it.

You could get something like this (pistol grip removed)...
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=197800

Of course, you'd have to convince the seller it's legit.

Or from here...
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp?CatId=2

JPglee1
12-05-2006, 2:23 PM
Chris and I have been talkin about getting our 07 FFLs so we can make guns.

I see no reason you couldn't put together a decent AK for around $350.00 if you're doing them in volume...especially if you welded them

The idea I came up with is to weld all the guns, and for the "purists" that just HAVE to have visible rivet heads, we drill the holes at the trunnions and press "U-drive" screws into the trunnion, fill the heads with epoxy and finish accordingly. Then, you would have the "look" of rivets, with the speed of a welded gun.

You can assembled an AK with a welder in approximately 20 minutes if you have a clean work area and the old rivets have been ground out and removed. (you DO NOT weld to the existing rivet holes...at least you dont if you want it to be RIGHT)

But I'm a weirdo too. I'm all about function and frugality. I could care less how it works.

If we get our FFLs we would put extra attention into the details and make sure the customers were 100% happy with everything. IF we get our FFLs, we'll be doing some things that will be different from "typical" industry types.....

JP

thedrickel
12-05-2006, 2:26 PM
It can be done for less than 300, not including tools (harbor freight bolt cutter, angle grinder, BFH, drill, punches, dremel, etc).

Bocefus kit w/ g2 FCG & shipping - 140
NDS-3, about 100 incl DROS/transfer
Rivets/screws, paint, US floorplate, Chiney mag - 30

That makes 5 US parts, if you take off the muzzle brake you will be 922r legal I believe. And you will either have to fix the mag or go gripless (see my 10$ non-thumbhole stock).

Of course it won't be beautiful like Leelaw's underfolder, but I'd rather have two ugly Romy's with detachable mags than one nice fixed-mag UF. Mebbe I'm crazy . . .

The cost of the kit and NDS3 will be slightly lower if you buy more than one at a time. Just wait til I get a flat-bending jig and HF hydraulic press. Then the really cheap builds will begin!

jemaddux
12-05-2006, 3:12 PM
[QUOTE=thedrickel]It can be done for less than 300, not including tools (harbor freight bolt cutter, angle grinder, BFH, drill, punches, dremel, etc).

Bocefus kit w/ g2 FCG & shipping - 140
NDS-3, about 100 incl DROS/transfer
Rivets/screws, paint, US floorplate, Chiney mag - 30

That makes 5 US parts, if you take off the muzzle brake you will be 922r legal I believe. And you will either have to fix the mag or go gripless (see my 10$ non-thumbhole stock).

[QUOTE]

Trying to figure out here where you are coming up with the 6 parts needed?? Rivets don't count, paint doesn't count, you can't take the break off because you then have a threaded barrel sitting out and DOJ kinda frowns on threaded barrels. So I am sorry but where are you coming up with your 922 parts? Me personally would never use the mag or floor plate. All it would take it that wrong moment in time when you insert someone elses mag and you are no longer compliant. Like I said before, I want to see first off someone build it for the prices you are giving and second see what it looks like and shoots like.:eek:

jumbopanda
12-05-2006, 3:18 PM
Chris and I have been talkin about getting our 07 FFLs so we can make guns.

I see no reason you couldn't put together a decent AK for around $350.00 if you're doing them in volume...especially if you welded them

The idea I came up with is to weld all the guns, and for the "purists" that just HAVE to have visible rivet heads, we drill the holes at the trunnions and press "U-drive" screws into the trunnion, fill the heads with epoxy and finish accordingly. Then, you would have the "look" of rivets, with the speed of a welded gun.

You can assembled an AK with a welder in approximately 20 minutes if you have a clean work area and the old rivets have been ground out and removed. (you DO NOT weld to the existing rivet holes...at least you dont if you want it to be RIGHT)

But I'm a weirdo too. I'm all about function and frugality. I could care less how it works.

If we get our FFLs we would put extra attention into the details and make sure the customers were 100% happy with everything. IF we get our FFLs, we'll be doing some things that will be different from "typical" industry types.....

JP

Just curious, how hard is it to get a 07 FFL?

Oh and if you do get it, I demand that you build another 9mm carbine and sell it to me! :D

thedrickel
12-05-2006, 3:43 PM
Trying to figure out here where you are coming up with the 6 parts needed?? Rivets don't count, paint doesn't count, you can't take the break off because you then have a threaded barrel sitting out and DOJ kinda frowns on threaded barrels. So I am sorry but where are you coming up with your 922 parts? Me personally would never use the mag or floor plate. All it would take it that wrong moment in time when you insert someone elses mag and you are no longer compliant. Like I said before, I want to see first off someone build it for the prices you are giving and second see what it looks like and shoots like.:eek:
Tapco G2 Fire Control Group - 3 US parts
NDS-3 - 1 US part
Floorplate, follower, piston, stock, handguard, or any other part on the list - makes 5

AFAIK, an AKM has 16 parts on the list, so take off the muzzle brake and you only have 10 evil foreign parts. DOJ can frown on a threaded pistol barrel any time they want, if they want to give me crap about a threaded barrel on a rifle they can eat sh&t and die. You're right about US parts in the mag tho. But I won't lose any sleep over it. Besides, you hear the JBTs stompin in your direction, remove the mag and you're A-OK. It's a stupid law. It ain't my fault.

This is what a sub-300$ detachable-mag Romy-G looks like. Pretty up the wood and slap some black paint on it, and it'll look like a million bucks. (I'll post the "after" pics in a few weeks, haven't had a chance to get out to the range). Also in this example, no pistol grip = one less EFP.

http://i11.tinypic.com/2vx37zd.jpg

fal_762x51
12-05-2006, 4:24 PM
Someone seems pissed that he spent way to much, I guess we should pitty him. Learn to shop wisely little one.

I guess I should have clarified my stuff a little better. The follower and floor plate I got from Tapco, US made buddy. The G2 grouping came with DPHarm's matching kit for $124. NDS-3, I think its US made but, deeeeeeeeerrrrrrr, and an evil screw on muzzle brake thats been made in the USA.

rorschach
12-05-2006, 4:44 PM
Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!!

+1 for Bocefus kits. I got my first AK Romy kit from Copes, and it was OK for 125 bucks shipped (matching numbers, pretty bore etc). I just purchased a Romy kit from Boecefus and it was a bit nicer at a cheaper price.

Do some searching on AKfiles.com and you WILL find deals on all the parts and tools. With the cash I'm saving, I'm treating my rifles to a nice Duracoat finish when I'm all done.

Zwingli
12-05-2006, 4:55 PM
You guys are doing the math all wrong. This is how it goes: RPK kit from CF 149.00 and DCI receiver nds-9 98.00

so we round off to say 240$ which is what is told to the wife at end of project. :)

jemaddux
12-05-2006, 4:55 PM
Someone seems pissed that he spent way to much, I guess we should pitty him. Learn to shop wisely little one.

I guess I should have clarified my stuff a little better. The follower and floor plate I got from Tapco, US made buddy. The G2 grouping came with DPHarm's matching kit for $124. NDS-3, I think its US made but, deeeeeeeeerrrrrrr, and an evil screw on muzzle brake thats been made in the USA.

And who is the one that is suppose to be pissed and pittyed for paying to much?

JPglee1
12-05-2006, 5:16 PM
because you then have a threaded barrel sitting out and DOJ kinda frowns on threaded barrels. :

DOJ doesn't care about threaded barrels on long guns, just hand guns.

The whole point of 922(r) is moot unless you're the actual MANUFACTURER of the rifle. So guys assembling kits from flats they bent themselves REALLY need to worry about it... Guys who purchase an already built gun really don't have to stress on it.

Read USC Sec 18 922 real close, its all about MANUFACTURERS not end users/owners.

JP

jemaddux
12-05-2006, 5:57 PM
DOJ doesn't care about threaded barrels on long guns, just hand guns.

The whole point of 922(r) is moot unless you're the actual MANUFACTURER of the rifle. So guys assembling kits from flats they bent themselves REALLY need to worry about it... Guys who purchase an already built gun really don't have to stress on it.

Read USC Sec 18 922 real close, its all about MANUFACTURERS not end users/owners.

JP

Yea I know and all it takes is one yahoo that says well I think and your firearm is gone until you show them reason to give it back:eek: .