PDA

View Full Version : Another bad experience at Targetmasters West

mlgs00
05-18-2011, 4:36 PM
I stopped by TM today to check out some pistols. I had trouble seeing into one display case because of two guys filling out paperwork for their purchases. They reeked of marijuana. Well, at least they wouldn't be leaving armed today while high. A couple of minutes later I walked by the rental counter where three young guys with their pants below their assess were filling out paperwork to rent guns to shoot. They also reeked of marijuana. This was just too much. I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near a bunch of stoned rookie shooters. I can't believe that TM would rent to them. How could they NOT smell the marijuana stench rolling off these guys.

SpectreZ91
05-18-2011, 4:45 PM
Some people just don't care and just want the revenue that they would bring in.

If I'm ever up in that area I'll make sure not to go there.

teflondog
05-18-2011, 4:48 PM
I'll admit they have some of the best prices in the bay area, but I'll never shoot there again. I don't remember how many times a loaded gun was pointed at me by careless shooters.

New shooters routinely sweep the room while posing for pictures.

POLICESTATE
05-18-2011, 4:51 PM
Targetmasters is a great place to shoot if you want a much higher risk of catching a bullet, just my opinion. It had lots of unsafe shooters the last time I was there several years ago, seems it hasn't gotten any better.

Plus their staff are poor on service, kind of... I don't know... snobby or something?

Mr.1904
05-18-2011, 5:08 PM
You can't control the type of people wanting to shoot, or buy guns.

Your second amendment rights make sure that regardless of who you are, besides being insane or a criminal; Any american, even if they are smoking pot, has the right to bear arms.

Alls im saying is the store has no way to screen people before they come into the store to GIVE THE STORE MONEY. and stores like money.

Kanester
05-18-2011, 5:14 PM

Your second amendment rights make sure that regardless of who you are, besides being insane or a criminal; Any american, even if they are smoking pot, has the right to bear arms.

Alls im saying is the store has no way to screen people before they come into the store to GIVE THE STORE MONEY. and stores like money.

That being said, I would certainly hope that if employees suspected anyone of being under the influence they would not let them rent firearms. Should I be allowed to operate a loaded handgun at busy range with other people after slamming 14 tequilla shots? The answer is no....

jessegpresley
05-18-2011, 5:32 PM

I guess you've never seen this sign before?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyAUO9wsvyVWcyNZ1ftQdzx85cYGDR4 4jJFb6QqhM8j6dRNUD8

psango
05-18-2011, 5:34 PM
I go in the off hours and shoot with a wall on my right side so I can monitor the other side.

I'm a retired range master and not above telling someone "point that me again and I'll take it away from you". It would't be the first time I"ve taken a gun away.

If the place is crowded I just go over and check out Reeds if it's messed up I go home.

I'd shoot at Livermore but I'm too old and lazy to walk out and change my target.

knucklehead
05-18-2011, 5:37 PM
So this thread was made because 4 dudes smelled like weed. How do you know they weren't with someone else that smoked weed. I smell like weed sometimes but don't get high nor smoke it. Seems like you just want to ***** about something.

psango
05-18-2011, 5:42 PM
I thought it was about safety, maybe he meant it to be about weed.

sequoia_nomad
05-18-2011, 5:51 PM
Only in California :rolleyes:

mlgs00
05-18-2011, 5:52 PM
So this thread was made because 4 dudes smelled like weed. How do you know they weren't with someone else that smoked weed. I smell like weed sometimes but don't get high nor smoke it. Seems like you just want to ***** about something.

I posted this because it is not safe to shoot when you are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. I am responsible for my own safety and I don't take kindly to places that allow and enable stoned people to handle and fire loaded firearms. If you consider it okay to shoot in that condition then you have chosen an appropriate screen name.

Mickey D
05-18-2011, 6:12 PM
I posted this because it is not safe to shoot when you are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. I am responsible for my own safety and I don't take kindly to places that allow and enable stoned people to handle and fire loaded firearms. If you consider it okay to shoot in that condition then you have chosen an appropriate screen name.

:rofl:

Steve1968LS2
05-18-2011, 6:16 PM

lol.. WRONG..

They can deny service to anyone.. especially if they smell pot on them and thier business is handing over loaded firearms..

well206
05-18-2011, 6:19 PM
Maybe it was a new cologne.

I think Knucklehead's point was even if someone may smell like weed it doesn't mean they were smoking it.

Some people smell like s***, doesn't mean they were smoking it.

I don't think anyone on this forum thinks it is ok for people to shoot when under the influence or intoxicated.

Mr.1904
05-18-2011, 6:33 PM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyAUO9wsvyVWcyNZ1ftQdzx85cYGDR4 4jJFb6QqhM8j6dRNUD8

I am very much so familiar with the refusal of service. Being a manager of a retail store i do hold the right to refuse service to anyone. But this isn't about me, it's about the above said gun store.

But they didn't refuse service to them did they? Not my bad nor the original posters'. I also believe that it is by far an unsafe circumstance for anyone to operate ANYTHING that can harm another person under the influence, especially firearms.

In my opinion the original poster was not happy with the gun store because people were in a firearms store smelling like weed. Not the guns stores' fault, right?

If the management or associates thought these individuals were not in the correct mindstate to operate a firearm safely they could have refused service to them. But they didn't. As for a person smelling like weed filling out his DRO's; So what? Now for someone actually operating a firearm under the influence is a complete different story.

If you have something against people who smoke weed that's your personal opinion. Don't knock the establishment because of the individuals that give their money to them

I work in a paintball and airsoft store. Would i refuse selling someone paintballs or airsoft BB's because they smell like weed? No.

Remember, economies tough. Money is money and it's better in my register than in the customers pocket. High or not. Do i want to be in the same room with someone who's high, strung out, or drunk and shooting something that could kill me in the blink of an eye? Hell no.

Backcountry
05-18-2011, 6:36 PM
I'd call the police and report drug users with guns then sit back and watch the show.

Retired Dave
05-18-2011, 7:09 PM
Some people just don't care and just want the revenue that they would bring in.

My worst experience like that was at the old Traders in San Leandro. I was at the counter buying a firearm, when a young woman came in with a small group of teenagers that looked like gangsters or gangster wannabe's. Though she looked young, she must have been 21-yrs old, because she used her ID to purchase three or four handguns.

Each handgun was selected by a teenager, and she paid cash from a huge wad was she was carrying. It was pretty clear that she was purchasing pistols for these other guys, who were either too young, or perhaps otherwise unable to legally purchase.

I asked the salesman helping me if they had a problem with what I was witnessing. He said something vague, implying that they didn't turn away cash customers.

I wasn't too upset when Traders lost their FFL.

NorCal Einstein
05-18-2011, 7:15 PM
I'd call the police and report drug users with guns then sit back and watch the show.

You wouldn't even have to sit. Targetmasters is like 50 yards away from the Milpitas Police station!

FredoSD
05-18-2011, 7:25 PM
Ok , money is money and all that but what is the store's liability if something goes wrong and it turns out that they guys were high? I'd think that any ambulance chasing lawyer can make the case that the employees should have used descretion.

If it were my store I'd ask them to leave.

Arkangel86
05-18-2011, 7:51 PM
Wow, I woulda just left

I only go during happy hour or on a thurs night, if there is someone sketchy there, Ill just check out the cases and keep it movin

bwiese
05-18-2011, 7:58 PM

If I were running a gun shop and you smelled like grass or booze, you wouldn't make it thru the front door.

In fact many gunshops have a "If you look intoxicated or smell of drugs/alcohol, please leave."

You need to pick better friends.

swampbutt
05-18-2011, 8:00 PM
i was just there today around 2 or 3 and it was relatively slow so it was just me and my friend in the long bay. Other than when its slow i wouldnt visit that place

Munk
05-18-2011, 8:06 PM
My worst experience like that was at the old Traders in San Leandro. I was at the counter buying a firearm, when a young woman came in with a small group of teenagers that looked like gangsters or gangster wannabe's. Though she looked young, she must have been 21-yrs old, because she used her ID to purchase three or four handguns.

Each handgun was selected by a teenager, and she paid cash from a huge wad was she was carrying. It was pretty clear that she was purchasing pistols for these other guys, who were either too young, or perhaps otherwise unable to legally purchase.

I asked the salesman helping me if they had a problem with what I was witnessing. He said something vague, implying that they didn't turn away cash customers.

I wasn't too upset when Traders lost their FFL.

Unless the kids involved were her children, and these were birthday/christmas/whatever gifts... I would be very wary of this store from then on... dunno if i'd call the DOJ right away though.

Ibgreezy
05-18-2011, 8:08 PM
My buddy got turned away from there for smelling like bud. Some of their employees are snobby and think they know everything about guns. I like shooting there because they're open late. I wonder if we can get a calguns shoot there? Maybe a time where only we can shoot?

flyingjalapeno
05-18-2011, 8:08 PM

I like that idea!!! LOL

Wildhawk66
05-18-2011, 8:20 PM
Another negative for these guys is the facts that they still refuse to PPT anything off list related. They kept trying to tell me that off list AR15's were a big grey area and they didn't want to hear any of the facts about how black and white they have become in the last few years.

Any gun store that can't keep up on gun laws doesn't instill confidence in me. They won't be getting any of my business any time soon.

sequoia_nomad
05-18-2011, 8:39 PM

I doubt it. Either you've never tried reporting your neighbors growing/smoking/selling pot, or you simply have waaay too much faith in the California judicial system.

vincnet11
05-18-2011, 8:41 PM
Customer service needs improvement but I think they have a nice selection of handguns. They have a brand new Browning High Power(classic style) for around $9xx for those interested.

Arkangel86
05-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Another negative for these guys is the facts that they still refuse to PPT anything off list related. They kept trying to tell me that off list AR15's were a big grey area and they didn't want to hear any of the facts about how black and white they have become in the last few years.

Any gun store that can't keep up on gun laws doesn't instill confidence in me. They won't be getting any of my business any time soon.

I did a PPT for my XDm there less than a year ago....

USMC 82-86
05-18-2011, 10:26 PM
It's always money.

Fireguy
05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
It's been a while since I did a DROS, isn't there a question that asks do you use a controlled substance? just asking

dfletcher
05-18-2011, 11:04 PM

Yes, you can control who shoots in your store. And of course the store can screen who shoots, they don't let people come in alone and rent a gun they can certainly decide that if someone smells like MJ they're not going to use their facility.

So they may have the right to shoot, but they don't have the right to shoot in anyone's store - if they want to shoot they can go off by themselves, get lost in the woods and shoot each other in the fanny.

Chaos47
05-18-2011, 11:43 PM
When I lived in TX I used to go to a shop called Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth. On their door they had a sign that said something like this:

If you look like a hippie,
Sound like a hippie,
Smell like a hippie,
Don't even bother coming in

WWDHD?
05-19-2011, 1:54 AM
I'm not doubting the OPs story, but I shoot there all the time and haven't seen/smelled anything like this going on. Honestly haven't seen anything unsafe yet either. Guess I've been lucky all these years.
IMO, TM is a decent range that you can shoot at for cheep ($6/hr weekdays till 4) that has a pretty big handgun showroom and a good supply of rental guns. Prices are generaly good (I've bought two guns there over the years). Staff is generaly friendly and helpful. They are very careful about the DROS paperwork. Maybe thats why they are one of the biggest gun sales FFL's in NorCal (or so I've been told).
No doubt Reeds in Santa Clara is a much nicer range but its a lot more expensive to shoot there. I'll stick with TM untill I see some of that spooky behavior going on or the almost non-existing air filtration system in their range kills me.

OldGunTard
05-19-2011, 2:55 AM
Just today at Bullseye in San Rafael a pair of would-be pistol renters was turned away because they smelled of weed.

BayAreaShooter
05-19-2011, 4:29 AM
Why does anyone still go their. It is a close tie with Dublin knives and gun's for the worst gun shop I have ever been too. I will NEVER again step foot in TM.

vincnet11
05-19-2011, 4:49 AM
Why does anyone still go their. It is a close tie with Dublin knives and gun's for the worst gun shop I have ever been too. I will NEVER again step foot in TM.Their price on the brand new Sig P229R($786) was the lowest price between different stores I called. But then I don't have a loyalty for gun stores. I go to whichever sells a particular gun at the lowest price.

Cyc Wid It
05-19-2011, 5:28 AM
TM is a convenient indoor range (gas is pricey) with really cheap daytime rates if you can sneak away from work or get off early (and they're open late). Also, I don't immediately freak out at the sight of people not dressed like a Ralph Lauren catalog. I'd never buy anything there though...

gobi fish
05-19-2011, 5:38 AM
I stopped by TM today to check out some pistols. I had trouble seeing into one display case because of two guys filling out paperwork for their purchases. They reeked of marijuana. Well, at least they wouldn't be leaving armed today while high. A couple of minutes later I walked by the rental counter where three young guys with their pants below their assess were filling out paperwork to rent guns to shoot. They also reeked of marijuana. This was just too much. I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near a bunch of stoned rookie shooters. I can't believe that TM would rent to them. How could they NOT smell the marijuana stench rolling off these guys.

hmmm are you sure the guys behind the counter are not the ones which reek of MJ?

P.S. It's cali, who cares?

BayAreaShooter
05-19-2011, 5:42 AM
Their price on the brand new Sig P229R($786) was the lowest price between different stores I called. But then I don't have a loyalty for gun stores. I go to whichever sells a particular gun at the lowest price.

Yea I am loyal to my local gunshop as they treat me like a valued customer and not just some Joe Schmo. They are very professional but laid back in the same sense.

I'm not even going to go on a TM rant right now because I don't want to waste my time as they are not worth it.

daveinwoodland
05-19-2011, 6:05 AM
Maybe they had a glandular disorder? ;)

Wildhawk66
05-19-2011, 6:44 AM
I did a PPT for my XDm there less than a year ago....

Wrong list. I was referring to transfers of rifles specifically not on the the Roberti/Roos/AR/AK assault weapons lists, not the safe handgun list. I guarantee if you walk in there with a perfectly legal AR15 they will refuse to PPT it. I have no idea if they have any issues PPTing (not importing) off list handguns but to my knowledge thats generally not been an issue anywhere, so I'd be suprised if even they made an issue about that.

BayAreaShooter
05-19-2011, 6:46 AM
hmmm are you sure the guys behind the counter are not the ones which reek of MJ?

I normally could give a rats *** if your stanking like weed or are high but when i'm shooting next to you its a whole different story. Your high *** shouldn't be getting stoned before you go shooting. Its alright though as I said before I will never step foot in Target Masters so all the stoned gang bangers go ahead and make Target Masters your home range.

vince42
05-19-2011, 7:11 AM
TM is ok before 3 on weekdays, staff is relaxed, room to look around. I dont use the range though. James

Soldier415
05-19-2011, 7:13 AM

No, but I CAN control the fact that if I smell marijuana I immediately ask you to leave.

Money does not come before common sense, safety, and FEDERAL LAW that regulates your business.

Doesn't matter. There is no way to accurately determine whether they were smoking or with someone that was. Across the board policy of If I smell it, you are gone...no questions asked ensures that there is no discrimination and that someone under the influence doesn't make it on the range.

Personally I dont care if someone smokes weed, that is their business. But when they come into a firearm store and range smelling like it, then it is my business.

Just today at Bullseye in San Rafael a pair of would-be pistol renters was turned away because they smelled of weed.

We have zero tolerance. If staff detect even a hint of marijuana the people in question are asked to leave. No one wants to shoot on a range with people smelling like weed.

And when customers see a business that is selling firearms to people that reek of weed, it turns them off and is an indicator of a shady business.

The ATF, who happens to regulate firearm stores and can shut you down in a heartbeat.

Use of marijuana or other drugs is a FEDERAL prohibition, so 215 means precisely...dick.

I actually had someone try to use their medical marijuana card as their second proof of residency for a firearm purchase. :rolleyes:

Huge Grant
05-19-2011, 7:57 AM
TM has a very nice selection of guns, but like others I wouldn't shoot there unless it was off hours and I had a good look at the line first. I've only been there at night and it seems like there's always a group or two of young girls or other novice-looking folks at the counter renting guns, and the lineup is full of them as well. My first time there, in maybe 3 minutes of observing I saw 2 muzzles pointed down the line :eek:

Is it just me, or do the youngsters stay away from Reed's? I like it much better there.

As far as reeking of weed... the employees have a responsibility to keep high people off the line, and can also refuse to sell a gun to anyone they want, at their own discretion.

NorCal Einstein
05-19-2011, 9:01 AM
TM has a very nice selection of guns, but like others I wouldn't shoot there unless it was off hours and I had a good look at the line first. I've only been there at night and it seems like there's always a group or two of young girls or other novice-looking folks at the counter renting guns, and the lineup is full of them as well. My first time there, in maybe 3 minutes of observing I saw 2 muzzles pointed down the line :eek:

Is it just me, or do the youngsters stay away from Reed's? I like it much better there.

As far as reeking of weed... the employees have a responsibility to keep high people off the line, and can also refuse to sell a gun to anyone they want, at their own discretion.

Youngsters is probably the wrong descriptive, but we all know the demographic we're talking about here..

Reeds has a much stricter policy on renting guns out. Where as Targetmasters only requires 2 warm bodies, 2 IDs, 1 set of car keys to rent; Reeds insists that 1 of the 2 shooters already have experience with firearms before they will rent to you. It isn't the greatest for business, but it keeps everyone safe.

I use to shoot a Targetmasters a fair amount in the off-hours, but I've seen way too much go on over there that makes me uncomfortable. Weekend (includes Friday) nights are the absolute worse. I've see groups of people get finished shooting, walk out of the bays and then decide they need to pose for pictures. Finger on the trigger, slide closed, pointed anywhere they please. Sometimes with a magazine inserted... How the hell am I suppose to know that's a unloaded gun? I never do.

If I'm going to risk my life and wellbeing, I want to be the one doing it. Rather not risk those things at the hands of numbskulls. While Targetmasters isn't bad during all hours of operations, certain staff and poor ventilation (not adequate to support 2 shooters in a 6 lane bay...wtf?) has made me swear off Targetmasters.

CK_32
05-19-2011, 9:54 AM

I actually believe there is a law against buying any firearm while intoxicated... The seller has the right to refuse them if they are under the influence. Especially if they are renting a hand gun at the time.

And from what I'm hearing and seeing you guys should all wright reports to the police or who ever watches over these businesses due to major safety violations and bad business.

biloutkast
05-19-2011, 10:11 AM
It's not bad from 10am-12pm weekdays. I've had the entire section of the range to myself.

Chris M
05-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Why does anyone still go their. It is a close tie with Dublin knives and gun's for the worst gun shop I have ever been too. I will NEVER again step foot in TM.

I go there because it's cheap and less than 2 miles from my house. I stay observant, and mind my own business. Haven't had any issues yet. I generally don't ask the staff any questions or request advice from them. If I have questions, I usually just ask it on calguns or do my own research.

Chuck67
05-19-2011, 11:16 AM
When I lived in TX I used to go to a shop called Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth. On their door they had a sign that said something like this:

If you look like a hippie,
Sound like a hippie,
Smell like a hippie,
Don't even bother coming in

:rofl:

21SF
05-19-2011, 11:27 AM
OMG !!!!!!! Weed!!!!!! lock them up !!!!

Weeds is evil!!!!

GTFO....OPEN YOUR MIND>>>>THEN STFU.

Over and out.

GM4spd
05-19-2011, 11:32 AM
If passing a drug screen were required to post on this board,you would
probably lose about a 25% of the members. Pete

NorCal Einstein
05-19-2011, 11:33 AM

Weeds is evil!!!!

Over and out.

So you're fine with the possibility of a guy in the lane next to you who's high and handling loaded guns?

Weed, good or bad is a different issue. This is an issue where it is possible for someone to rent a gun while under the influence of drugs. If you take that lightly, good to know.

CK_32
05-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Weeds is evil!!!!

Over and out.

Im not banning marry j nor am i against it. Well put it that way.. But going to rent a handgun or shoot any fire arm while high or "buzzed" because no man is ever drunk.... right....

is just stupid and people are stupid enough with out it.. add that into the mix and your asking for trouble.. funny this is coming from a 20 year old college student..... Open your mind and EYES and think for a second and think... Would you let someone borrow your rifle or hand gun for a day after they walked out of a bar or smell like weed... Remember its just your putting your own personal firearm out in their hands.... they have more to lose than you do... they have a business and job to lose... You just have to say it was stolen and your fine....

Its a totally different story when your as* is on the line or as* is the reason that guy on the line was just shot and killed by a intoxicated idiot.

Im down for beer.. weed and what ever else gives me a good time... But will never mix those with my firearms... I dont even go with my buddies heading out to BLM with a 24 pack and their shotty's... Because I know my friends and i dont feel like dieing over a under thought joke.

Soldier415
05-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Weeds is evil!!!!

Over and out.
You seem to be missing the point. Not saying weed is evil and lock up those who use it. If you want to smoke a joint I personally could care less. But, if you smell like weed and/or are under the influence, you have no business being in a firearm store handling, buying or shooting firearms that are regulated by the Feds, who also happen to say that drug use makes you a prohibited person.

Soldier415
05-19-2011, 11:52 AM
My girlkfriend wreaks of weed all the time and she doesnt smoke, prob out shoot 50% of the members on this board, lol.
And if she comes into my establishment she will be asked to leave.

I am not a cop, I dont investigate to determine whether or not someone is under the influence, nor do I perform field sobriety tests.

If you smell of alcohol or marijuana, you are not shooting on the range or remaining on the premises. Regardless of how accurate a shot you are, or if you are a nice guy/gal.

salazar44
05-19-2011, 12:02 PM

Yep... I was in a gun shop once when they refused to sell ammo to a gangbanger who had his gang tattoo'd on his face. 5 minutes later his girlfriend came in and tried to buy ammo. They still refused.

Kestryll
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Over and out.

With this kind of postings, yeah..

Over and OUT.

Lazy eye
05-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Darn, my response to him disappeared too. On topic, I avoid TM like the plague. The last time I went there were two ladies renting a gun next to me and my girlfriend. I heard them talking with the guy behind the counter and neither one of them had so much as held a gun before. The guy handed them a Glock, told them about the trigger safety and off they went!

I have no problem with new people renting and shooting, but I didn't hear the 4 safety rules mentioned once and they had to keep asking him questions because he wasn't volunteering any info.

CK_32
05-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Yep... I was in a gun shop once when they refused to sell ammo to a gangbanger who had his gang tattoo'd on his face. 5 minutes later his girlfriend came in and tried to buy ammo. They still refused.

Lol :rofl2:

PolishMike
05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I kick out and will continue to kick out ANYONE that smells like weed. Have I lost a couple sales because of that? Sure, but people in the store appreciated it every time and in the end I'm sure I did the right thing

dfletcher
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I actually had someone try to use their medical marijuana card as their second proof of residency for a firearm purchase. :rolleyes:

I guess this happens more often than people might think - I was at a local store and asked a question about the "215 vs 4473" deal and how folks seem to have a hard time with the "4473 is a fed form" concept. She rolled her eyes and said "you wouldn't believe how often that happens. I ask for 2nd ID, they take out their weed card and it's the end of the deal". One guy did it on a PPT where the seller had driven 100 miles or so .... :mad:

Chuck67
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Weeds is evil!!!!

Over and out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/rocafella1524/7874812.jpg

Sorry I just had too

BayAreaShooter
05-19-2011, 3:05 PM

Weeds is evil!!!!

Over and out.

:ban:

Were no talking about smoking a joint and posting on the internet were talking about getting stoned and handling a firearm around other people. Please tell me you see the difference in the two. Hey if you want to go to some BLM and get stoned and play around with guns go for it. Darwin awards are easily obtained.

With this kind of postings, yeah..

Over and OUT.

:iagree: