PDA

View Full Version : Modding a 10/30 mag OUTSIDE of CA?

jdouglas
05-18-2011, 3:43 PM
Would it be legal to take a 10/30 AR magazine to a state that allows 30 rounders, and modify it by straightening out the punched in "tabs" that restrict the follower movement? Assuming the new 30 rounder is used only in that state, it would be perfectly legal, right?

And if I am able to punch the tabs back and revert it to the 10/30 status, I assume it would be legal to bring it back into CA (provided I revert and definitely test it BEFORE coming back)?

Or is that just a dream... :sleeping: (zzzzzz....30 rounds....mmmm.....zzzzz :D)

EDIT: Thanks to a revelation from Z.1 I realize that my idea is not possible. (Why do they have to make these things permanent?)

cali_armz
05-18-2011, 3:53 PM
i dont think there would be a problem with this as long as you dont do it in california

Librarian
05-18-2011, 3:57 PM
Yes to both.

But don't forget to re-convert before crossing back into CA, or disassembling into kits.

IMVHO, that is a bit perilous, due to metal fatigue possibly allowing a failure while back in CA. It would still be 'broken', but ...

And, some will wonder about whether anything which can be converted in that manner is really 'permanent' enough to qualify as legal. On that, I have no opinion.

Z.1
05-18-2011, 3:58 PM
what do you mean?!?

Thats not even possible!!!

:p

jdouglas
05-18-2011, 4:09 PM
what do you mean?!?

Thats not even possible!!!

:p
I have a Stag Arms 10/30 magazine I bought from RifleGear. I took the floor plate off and took a look inside it, and the only thing stopping the follower from reaching the bottom are two punched in tabs on the front and back of the magazine itself. Assuming it is possible to push the tabs back so they are flush with the rest of the magazine, it would be possible. It might be kind of hard to do though...

@ Librarian: Yeah that did cross my mind...I'd definitely have to be careful, especially at ranges.

Z.1
05-18-2011, 4:17 PM
I was just making a joke, because they're supposed to be "permanently" modified to accept no more than 10 rounds.
So technically its not even possible to make it accept more than that, get it?
i.e. Not something that we would want to advertise as being easily accomplished...

jdouglas
05-18-2011, 4:19 PM
I was just making a joke, because they're supposed to be "permanently" modified to accept no more than 10 rounds.
So technically its not even possible to make it accept more than that, get it?
i.e. Not something that we would want to advertise as being easily accomplished...

Haha yeah I didn't notice the :p face till after I replied.

But now that you mention it, and without even looking at it again, I realize IT ISN'T POSSIBLE!!! IT IS PERMANENTLY MODIFIED TO ONLY HOLD 10 ROUNDS!!!!111eleven :D There goes my whole idea...

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 4:24 PM
I think a sly DA could prove since you are converting it back and forth between 10rd capacity and 11+ rd capacity its a defined large capacity magazine in either State, even if it only holds 10rd here.

Its one of those grey areas...

jdouglas
05-18-2011, 4:31 PM
I wouldn't be doing it on a regular basis, most likely a one time trip to Alaska (and I'd be there for over a month too, so I could even leave it behind without feeling too bad...maybe).

But yeah, due to the rules being kinda hazy, I might not want to do it anyway. Oh wait, I couldn't do it even if I wanted to. Nevermind.