PDA

View Full Version : Assembling my AR should I..

furfam4
05-18-2011, 2:34 PM
just go down to update post #7

Mono
05-18-2011, 5:08 PM
I didn't clean my BCM upper when I got it. Just greased it up and went out to Burro. Not one hiccup.

furfam4
05-18-2011, 5:27 PM
putting this lower together is a pain in the *****:mad:

rattlesnake_nm
05-18-2011, 5:32 PM
putting this lower together is a pain in the *****:mad:

:) pivot pin detent? Put the pin through the opposite side, and use a razor blade to hold in the detent. Then simply switch the side the pin is in. Or buy one of those tools. :43:

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 5:47 PM
:) pivot pin detent? Put the pin through the opposite side, and use a razor blade to hold in the detent. Then simply switch the side the pin is in. Or buy one of those tools. :43:

You hijacked my technique....lol I have an awesome metal dental pick for getting it back out.......

762.DEFENSE
05-18-2011, 6:04 PM
Giving it a light-little cleaning can't hurt.

furfam4
05-18-2011, 7:15 PM

Yeah that was frustrating to say the least. Now I'm stumped. I'm following this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

and this

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11636/learn/

I've installed the safety switch and grip. When I went to perform a function test. When in safety and pulling the trigger, hammer wouldn't budge. When in fire...hammer wouldn't budge. I've taken out the hammer and played with it 3 x now with same results. I don't know what's going on. Nothing has really gone together easily. The roll pins have been very very tight...I mean I was scared I was going to destroy them installing them. When installing the safety switch it seems like its hitting the trigger group and has to almost be forced in. The bolt release pin was a ***** to get in.

This is a stag lpk going into a spikes lower...not sure if thats the issues or not. Almost thinking I should have just gotten a stag lower. Oh well.

I think I'm going to try to get a Cal gunner over here to help me finish this before I break something. Didn't think it was going to be such a pain in the ***.

TurboChris where you at? :)

rattlesnake_nm
05-18-2011, 7:29 PM
You are fine. As long as You got the bolt catch, mag catch, trigger guard, and pivot pin in, the rest can easily be troubleshooted by another eye. If You didn't break something getting the bolt catch, and trigger guard installed You are in the clear. Well, and not scratch it installing the mag catch, or whatever You guys have in cali.

furfam4
05-18-2011, 8:10 PM
How come the hammers not releasing when I pull the trigger?

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 8:30 PM
I wish I was closer, I would help you out man.

hardluck
05-18-2011, 8:41 PM
this is what I used when I did my first lower.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6602496wNQX4GCn

Good luck & walk away for a few to get your head clear.
It will work out.

furfam4
05-18-2011, 9:07 PM
Thanks

I wish I was closer, I would help you out man.

Milspec714
05-18-2011, 9:10 PM
Im close.. sort of... LOL... Swing by...

AlexKintner
05-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Try taking a look at your trigger also. make sure you have all the springs in correctly.

crazychinaman
05-19-2011, 6:20 AM
where are you at .?

furfam4
05-19-2011, 7:37 AM
Huntington Beach.

fmfcorpsman
05-19-2011, 7:38 AM
The right tools make any job a breeze

furfam4
05-19-2011, 7:49 AM
The right tools make any job a breeze

DAMN RIGHT! I am absolutely going to invest in tools. Watching the brownells videos made that clear!

PoofNoEyebrows
05-19-2011, 8:02 AM
The only tools I ever use are a couple of small punches, a tiny hammer, screwdriver, and a lot of blue tape. I'm in San Clemente if you need help.

furfam4
05-19-2011, 8:43 AM
The only tools I ever use are a couple of small punches, a tiny hammer, screwdriver, and a lot of blue tape. I'm in San Clemente if you need help.

thanks everyone for offering help. much appreciated. there's a couple guys here local in HB i put a pm out to them. so i'll try there first.

furfam4
05-19-2011, 9:02 AM
ok figured it out. I didn't flip the closed end of the hammer spring around. Shoulda known there should of been more spring tension on the hammer. :rolleyes: anyways.

Lead Waster
05-19-2011, 1:06 PM
ok figured it out. I didn't flip the closed end of the hammer spring around. Shoulda known there should of been more spring tension on the hammer. :rolleyes: anyways.

Heh, I gotcha! When I looked at the hammer during my assembly, I figured ... this can't possibly be right? Where is the spring tension coming from? How can this possibly work if the spring is not pushing forward...it's pushing backwards? After some head scratching it occurred to me that the spring can swing 180 around, since the two spring "legs" are open and the closed part can be swong onto the other side!

Glad you got it figured out!

rattlesnake_nm
05-20-2011, 3:16 PM
Good job.