PDA

View Full Version : new Keltec came in today!

X-NewYawker
05-18-2011, 1:22 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Keltec.jpg

I guess this COULD have gone in the SG section -- but looks more like the rifles we enjoy… Waiting on the .308.

ElvenSoul
05-18-2011, 1:25 PM
That is very nice....let us know how she shoots!

SDS-Ruger
05-18-2011, 1:26 PM
they're out??

17+1
05-18-2011, 1:28 PM
WIN

I guess the confusion on the legality of this was sorted out.

stix213
05-18-2011, 1:29 PM
I thought the KSG was still in the prototype testing phase

john.t.singh
05-18-2011, 1:31 PM
dude super hot. are they ca legal? i thought it was gray area...

nrakid88
05-18-2011, 1:32 PM
I want soooo bad

X-NewYawker
05-18-2011, 1:34 PM
My buddy got four today to use in the next Stallone film… No civilian decision yet I guess -- wicked cool but need vertical fore grip if you value your fingers...

mif_slim
05-18-2011, 1:35 PM
shouldnt it be in the SG section?

CHS
05-18-2011, 1:56 PM
Have you had a decent amount of hands-on with it? What does the build quality seem like?

I really want to like this shotgun, but I can't stand how flimsily built and feeling most Kel Tec stuff is. This one certainly looks better constructed than the SU-16, but I'd like an honest opinion from someone who handles a LOT of guns.

mlevans66
05-18-2011, 2:02 PM
You have got to get us a range report! Let us know if it's a. legit b. fun to shoot c. study!

X-NewYawker
05-18-2011, 2:27 PM
Although we were surrounded by ammo -- he wouldn't let us shoot it today. It did feel like a very sturdy plastic. There were several cops around who felt it wouldn't stand up to duty abuse, and that since the shells eject out the bottom, a tactical hold would mean they were dropping down onto your arm. The ergonomics were good, and the ambidextrous slide release fell very naturally under your trigger finger. It is EXACTLY 26 inches long, or whatever would make it legal, and as you can see in the pictures, your off hand is VERY close to the muzzle, with a lightly checkered fore arm -- Honestly felt like a very expensive airsoft gun -- but extremely freaking cool.

evollep3
05-18-2011, 2:34 PM
how stable is the rail?

CHS
05-18-2011, 2:48 PM
There were several cops around who felt it wouldn't stand up to duty abuse,

That's disappointing :(

Honestly felt like a very expensive airsoft gun

Ok, so typical Kel Tec. Very disappointing :(

Droppin Deuces
05-18-2011, 2:53 PM
Isn't that a shotgun? Oh, I've got the perfect centerfire rifle question. What kind of optics are you putting on it!

762.DEFENSE
05-18-2011, 2:56 PM
Beautiful! :thumbsup:

Z.1
05-18-2011, 3:11 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, but what is the "grey area" with this in CA?

Its a pump, so the pistol grip shouldn't be a problem. 26.1" OAL. Tube-fed so capacity shouldn't be an issue.

What am I missing?

CHS
05-18-2011, 3:18 PM
Its a pump, so the pistol grip shouldn't be a problem. 26.1" OAL. Tube-fed so capacity shouldn't be an issue.

Tube-fed is only not an issue with rimfire firearms and I believe lever-action rifles. That's it.

Shotgun tubes that hold more than 10rd's are large-capacity feeding devices in CA.

The issue with the Kel Tel is that it has two 8rd/6rd(?) tubes that feed individually, but are welded together so it MIGHT be construed as having a large-capacity feeding device.

It would still be legal for FFL's with large-capacity magazine permits to import them into California and transfer among themselves or to LEO's, but IF it's actually an LCM then "normal people" can't get them.

It's actually a really interesting case, because even with the magazine, the firearm itself is 100% totally legal in CA. But if you moved here with one from another state it would be a felony to import the mag. Nothing to do with the legality of the actual firearm.

We just don't know yet if the DOJ will consider the dual tube 1 magazine (in which case it's definitely an LCM) or 2 magazines.

EBR Works
05-18-2011, 3:42 PM
I spoke with someone today that has some trigger time on this and he said that the recoil was absolutely brutal. He also said that they had some feeding issues with the dual mag setup. Despite that, I still want one for HD. :D

CHS
05-18-2011, 3:46 PM
I spoke with someone today that has some trigger time on this and he said that the recoil was absolutely brutal.

I'm not surprised. There's so little mass to soak up any of that energy. It's just all going right to your shoulder. Doesn't look like that great of or thick of a recoil pad either.

It would be nice to have a quality kick-eez pad or equivalent come out for that gun. Would add maybe 1/4" overall to get about a half-inch pad and would help out a lot on recoil.

And port the sucker :)

odysseus
05-18-2011, 3:48 PM
Looks interesting. I agree also - concerns on build quality are there. Would love to get my hands on one to see what it is like.

X-NewYawker
05-18-2011, 3:52 PM
Yes -- it's VERY light -- also, when you put your head down on the stock, it is so wide you are not centered behind the scope plane. and it's two seven round tubes with a plastic switchover lever.

Z.1
05-18-2011, 4:01 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the response.

Suppose there were a way to permanently block 2 rounds worth of space in each tube? Would that be sufficient to work around any legality issues? (Assuming it wasn't already legal, which I'm sure it will be... right, CA DOJ? nudge, nudge...wink, wink)

CHS
05-18-2011, 4:08 PM
Suppose there were a way to permanently block 2 rounds worth of space in each tube? Would that be sufficient to work around any legality issues?

That should be totally fine.

biscuitbarrel
05-18-2011, 4:09 PM
Who sells them?

CHS
05-18-2011, 4:10 PM
Who sells them?

No one. Yet.

X-NewYawker
05-18-2011, 4:14 PM
That should be totally fine.

Wouldn't it then have the same capacity as a benelli with crappier construction? (yeah, I know it's way smaller…)

bjl333
05-18-2011, 4:17 PM
It does look cool, but the supporting hand might get in the way!! Getting in the way of the muzzle blast!! That would be very painful...

evollep3
05-18-2011, 4:24 PM
i still think it should of been threaded for a break cause i can only imagine the muzzle rise on the follow up shots

CHS
05-18-2011, 4:26 PM
Wouldn't it then have the same capacity as a benelli with crappier construction? (yeah, I know it's way smaller…)

I know :(

I want to like this gun so much. I REALLY do. I'd love to have one in a tiny little bag that I just keep in my truck at all times. Hell, I'd buy three. But if LEO's don't think it can hold up to duty use, I'm not interested. An 870 is cheaper and will outlast your grand-children's children.

It does look cool, but the supporting hand might get in the way!! Getting in the way of the muzzle blast!! That would be very painful...

One of the first things I would do (unless Kel Tec does this before production) is add a hand stop to the front of the forestock. It's practically a necessity. 12ga at close range would completely obliterate your hand.

Droppin Deuces
05-18-2011, 4:29 PM
Can someone define "duty use" for me? I always just see police shotguns sitting in cars all nice and cozy. Are you saying the Keltec couldn't hold up to that?

X-NewYawker
05-18-2011, 5:19 PM
It was tac guys. They are trained to hit people with their guns when they are empty.
:)

pdugan6
05-18-2011, 5:23 PM
Can someone define "duty use" for me? I always just see police shotguns sitting in cars all nice and cozy. Are you saying the Keltec couldn't hold up to that?

:rofl:

seronian
05-18-2011, 7:26 PM
saweetttttttttttttt

Cyc Wid It
05-18-2011, 7:42 PM
Everybody please sell your M4's and 870's to buy one of these. I'll take them off your hands.

Cyc Wid It
05-18-2011, 7:52 PM
I wonder what the durability comments are based on. A lot of people look at anything plastic and immediately say "oh, that's not going to last" when indeed a lot of good plastics can last a very long time. There's nothing like actual use over a long period of time to see what the durability will actually be like - rather than what people would guess it to be.

Guessing it's a combination of plastic + Kel-tec.

CHS
05-18-2011, 8:24 PM
I wonder what the durability comments are based on. A lot of people look at anything plastic and immediately say "oh, that's not going to last" when indeed a lot of good plastics can last a very long time. There's nothing like actual use over a long period of time to see what the durability will actually be like - rather than what people would guess it to be.

When I look at Kel Tecs (SU-16, SU-22, Sub-2000) I see low-grade plastic with bad flashing and warping from poor mold design. I see plastic that's not very securely attached to the metal parts in a way that leads me to believe unsafe conditions can occur. I see metal parts that include lots of stampings with rough edges, poor blueing/oxidizing with little rust resistance and overall rough machining.

I'm all for plastics in guns. Kel Tec just doesn't make a generally well-made gun. They seemed to be getting better with designs like the RFB and I hoped with this shotgun, but maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

mlevans66
05-18-2011, 9:01 PM
When I look at Kel Tecs (SU-16, SU-22, Sub-2000) I see low-grade plastic with bad flashing and warping from poor mold design. I see plastic that's not very securely attached to the metal parts in a way that leads me to believe unsafe conditions can occur. I see metal parts that include lots of stampings with rough edges, poor blueing/oxidizing with little rust resistance and overall rough machining.

I'm all for plastics in guns. Kel Tec just doesn't make a generally well-made gun. They seemed to be getting better with designs like the RFB and I hoped with this shotgun, but maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Wow, brutal! I was going to get an SU-16 a couple of years ago but the cheap feel turned me off. I like the look of the shotty but after reading this thread and seeing the thing in someone hands I wonder about the whole thing now. As for duty use I would like to see what it stands up to.

X-NewYawker
05-18-2011, 9:11 PM
Check out the hand position -- this is with the slide all the way back -- still -- as LASER guns go, this is a STARSHIP TROOPERS as you can get --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_1999.jpg

osis32
05-18-2011, 9:18 PM
When is the .308 bull pup coming out?

CHS
05-18-2011, 9:20 PM
Wow, brutal! I was going to get an SU-16 a couple of years ago but the cheap feel turned me off. I like the look of the shotty but after reading this thread and seeing the thing in someone hands I wonder about the whole thing now. As for duty use I would like to see what it stands up to.

I want this thing to succeed and be well-made because, well, I FREAKING WANT ONE. With a handstop. Heh.

mlevans66
05-18-2011, 9:32 PM
I want this thing to succeed and be well-made because, well, I FREAKING WANT ONE. With a handstop. Heh.

A handstop would be epic and I hope it sux cause I really don't want to get it. LOL Let's be honest that things has so much of a chance to be awsome I just hope it doesn't disappoint us.

MrPlink
05-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Have you had a decent amount of hands-on with it? What does the build quality seem like?

I really want to like this shotgun, but I can't stand how flimsily built and feeling most Kel Tec stuff is. This one certainly looks better constructed than the SU-16, but I'd like an honest opinion from someone who handles a LOT of guns.

+ 120349812034982013948120349

k1dude
05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Keep in mind when the AR and Glock first came out "experts" said they weren't tough enough for real duty and felt too light and flimsy. They were wrong.

MrPlink
05-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Keep in mind when the AR and Glock first came out "experts" said they weren't tough enough for real duty and felt too light and flimsy. They were wrong.

keep in mind they weren't produced by companies famous for mediocrity as their best trait

Markus
05-19-2011, 1:14 AM
It's cool and awesome but I don't think it's for me. I'll probably just buy somebody's old pump that they are trading in for one of these.... Preferably a Winchester 1300 defender.... Anyone?

johnthomas
05-19-2011, 2:07 AM
Although we were surrounded by ammo -- he wouldn't let us shoot it today. It did feel like a very sturdy plastic. There were several cops around who felt it wouldn't stand up to duty abuse, and that since the shells eject out the bottom, a tactical hold would mean they were dropping down onto your arm. The ergonomics were good, and the ambidextrous slide release fell very naturally under your trigger finger. It is EXACTLY 26 inches long, or whatever would make it legal, and as you can see in the pictures, your off hand is VERY close to the muzzle, with a lightly checkered fore arm -- Honestly felt like a very expensive airsoft gun -- but extremely freaking cool.

I have to ask LE, other thank practice, how much do you shoot your duty shotgun and what other abuse do they get? I suspect shotguns get shot more for sport than on the job.

Sgt. Slaughter
05-19-2011, 7:36 AM
I want one. Don't care if it's not war ready. It'd be a nice addition to my collection and something interesting to shoot. imo.