PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite type of rifle (semi, lever, bolt, single shot) & why?

Sheepdog1968
05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not asking you to pick a limited set of rifles (you wallet does that for you) or just one type (I own three rifle classes listed in the poll).

Of the four general types which do you like best and why?

Please note, I'm also not asking you which type is the best.

For me, if you had asked me in my 20s I would have said semi-autos without a doubt. As I've gotten older, my views have changed. Of the three types in the pool, I like lever actions the best. I like the lines of a lever action. I like feel and sounds as I rack the lever. I like the tie in to times long past and reminds me of the times as a boy I played cowboys and indians. Also, I like the way the mechanical parts interact for shell extraction and then shell insertion, much in the same way I like how my Mossberg 500 pump loads shells. Taking the lever action out puts a smile on my face and makes me feel giddy like a kid all over again. There aren't many things in life that make me feel this way. The other notable exception would be going to a baseball game and getting there early with a friend to watch batting practice.

nrakid88
05-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I am in my 20's, and I say semi-auto. Can't beat a hose of lead and a fountain of brass. Too bad I can't have a fun switch on my guns.

That being said I usually take slow shots with my semi-auto's, ammo is expensive, and my guns are accurate.

I do love lever guns though, and bolty's are always a blast. Wheel guns are too accurate to not have fun with. Pump shotguns always equal a good time..

Thank god for diversity.

762.DEFENSE
05-18-2011, 11:44 AM
My vote goes for the semis.

Thomas1190
05-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Im 20 and i love my Marlin Cowboy lever gun. Ever since i was a little kid i have always loved these guns. I know it wasnt super long ago lol, but it brings back memories of when i was a little kid using my cap guns and my Daisy lever action pop gun. I was always the cowboy though ;)

Lead Waster
05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
I like bolt actions. There is just something so ... rifle-like about working the bolt!

whatpain
05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
it used to be a fact that bolt rifles were more accurate/reliable then semi so if you wanted accuracy you had to sacrifice rate of fire but now with modern manufacturing techniques semi autos are just as accurate/reliable so now its pretty much shooters preference.

chicoredneck
05-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Semi-autos
I like semi's because modern semi-automatic rifles are available at affordable prices that are just as accurate as good bolt-action rifles while offering more utility. A good semi-auto can do everything a bolt action, lever action, or single shot can do, but it will do it better. I use them for hunting and plinking.

The only draw back to modern semi-auto rifles for my purposes is they tend to be heavier than bolt action rifles.

Lead Waster
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
OK, I should say that with a semi you can take a shot, then not move your hands or head, then take another shot...making only small adjustments. But still, I prefer working that bolt. (yeah yeah, that's what she said)

berg
05-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Favorite as in most fun to shoot at the range? Definitely single shot .22. Don't knock it until you tried it. The .22lr is one of the most accurate calibers ever made.

Sheepdog1968
05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Dear Moderator,
Due to popular request, could you please add one more poll column entitled "Pump/Slide action". I forgot this and those that have posted would like it. I can't find a way to change the poll optionss. Many thanks.

Vacaville
05-18-2011, 12:14 PM
I like working a lever action. It's like going back to the days as a kid where it was just me and my Red Ryder. Plus, my Marlin 336 feels substantial yet quick in my hands. Very handy.

RONIN.
05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
ok.. i went with semi-auto.. a few years ago, i would of said that a bolt gun was more fun, more accurate then a semi-auto..

but lately having spent more time with my 308 ar.. i feel it is just as accurate maybe even more so then my custom bolt 308..

ronin

Scott Connors
05-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Semi, because I learned to shoot on a M16A1. Next choice is bolt, because the first rifle I owned was a Mauser 98k.

xSARSx
05-18-2011, 12:31 PM
semi-auto. i can kill zombies when needed, can still hunt for food, can protect my whole family :D

Nate87
05-18-2011, 1:18 PM
Gonna have to go with a bolt gun, even though the majority of my rifles are semi. I enjoy laying in the prone, cycling the action manually, and taking my time to make the shot. But accuracy by volume works too :D

mif_slim
05-18-2011, 1:34 PM
YOu forgot pump rifle too. ;)

I voted Semi, reason is because I will never know when I need that second or third or fourth follow up shot or, ever run into a pot farm and need to lay down fire to get me the hell out of the area..

17+1
05-18-2011, 1:35 PM
Something special about a well worn, mirror polished and lightly greased mauser bolt cycling an 8mm round...

ElvenSoul
05-18-2011, 1:37 PM
VZ58 it is light, accurate, very easy to handle, and has loading options (stripper clip or mag).

MrPlink
05-18-2011, 1:49 PM
I like guns, period. Bolty, leveraction, semi auto, and dare I say full auto?

If forced to choose, then I guess semi auto.

nicki
05-18-2011, 1:54 PM
You forgot to add "Select Fire".:rolleyes:

What I really would like is full, 3 shot burst and semi.:43:

Nicki

TNP'R
05-18-2011, 2:03 PM
I like both semi and bolt, but I have more bolt actions, so I chose bolt action as my favorite only because I have more of them.

mike_the_wino
05-18-2011, 2:09 PM
With only one, old bolt action, I tend to lean towards my semi's. If I ever get off my duff and grab that 700 that has been eye-balling me, I might change my mind.

mauser98k
05-18-2011, 2:11 PM
love bolts. nothing beats the completely manual action of an old military bolt action rifle

killshot44
05-18-2011, 2:32 PM
Semiauto...

More Pew Pew Pew, Pow Pow Pow.

llamatrnr
05-18-2011, 3:49 PM
Dear Moderator,
Due to popular request, could you please add one more poll column entitled "Pump/Slide action". I forgot this and those that have posted would like it. I can't find a way to change the poll optionss. Many thanks.

If you'll do that, then I can cast my vote, too . . .;)

Z.1
05-18-2011, 3:57 PM
I went with bolt because its just so satisfying to cycle the action by hand. Tough call though, lord knows I have a grand old time with my AR too...

SDS-Ruger
05-18-2011, 4:06 PM
tough call semi, bolt and lever are all a lot of fun just have different rolls

Sheepdog1968
05-19-2011, 8:51 AM
tough call semi, bolt and lever are all a lot of fun just have different rolls

I agree. I like them all as well but I do find the lever action goes out to the range much more often than the rest.

IPSICK
05-19-2011, 8:58 AM
I'd have to say semi-auto because it let's me just focus on operating the trigger for accuracy. Close 2nd is bolt because I like having the extra precision.