PDA

View Full Version : Anyone converted a hicap mag CA compliant for 10 rounds?

elnielsen
05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I bought an M1A Loaded, it has the stainless barrel. I see (only) CMI makes a stainless magazine, though only a 20 round magazine.

I would assume drilling and tapping a hole on the bottom and running a bolt up in. Can anyone chime in with experience limiting capacity?

I contacted CMI and got a reply "Stainless is only available in the 20RD magazine at this time.", and I cannot get them to reply again (I then asked if there are any future plans for a 10 round mag, also if they know of a method to limit a magazine).

G1500
05-18-2011, 10:56 AM
I think the most common thing for people to do is drill a hole and rivet the body, which will block the follower from moving down and accepting >10 rounds.

Or you can make something else to block the follower.

People block mags all the time, it just depends on how you personally want to do it.

G1500
05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I do believe others make a 10 round magazine for the M1A, are you looking specifically a stainless magazine?

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
The 20rd magazine must be shipped here DISASSEMBLED.

You are then allowed to assemble it making sure to alter it to only hold 10 rounds or less. How you do that is your business. Just make sure its robust enough to take constant reloadings and normal use.

Just remember its a one way street. Once the magazine is ALTERED to a 10rd magazine, it is that way forever. Any reversal of that is manufacturing a large capacity magazine and is illegal. You can take it apart for cleaning and maintenance, but if you are assembling it as a large capacity magazine...[EVEN outside of CA]...it can be argued, in court, the alteration is not permanent.

tujungatoes
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Check out the stickies in the gunsmithing/DIY section. There are numerous methods

elnielsen
05-25-2011, 7:48 PM
I do believe others make a 10 round magazine for the M1A, are you looking specifically a stainless magazine?

Yea, I originally wanted a black rifle, but my local shop was pricing me and the only thing available to him was an M1A Loaded with stainless steel barrel. I thought it would be easy to say no and hold out for a black rifle with a black barrel... but I had visited 4 shops in the san jose area that day, they all quoted me $1800, and $100 more for the one with stainless barrel... Thing is, he said $1700 buy or no buy? electrodes were snapping in my brain and I said "ship it!". Turns out he was going on vacation in Hawaii for the first time in 7 years. He had a great time :P

So I saw a post about a calgunner selling two 20 round stainless steel mag repair kits. I decided a SS mag would match the rifle great, and all I need is to 10/20 it. I just received it today from 44mag.com. I just cut two strips of that white plastic lattice, and it fits perfectly inside the spring, however even I don't believe strongly that it would hold up as permanent, through it does block it to contain only 8 rounds at this height.

I had thought of running (I dont know the technical name) but a bolt which has a rounded head and a large flathead screw slot. Running that up through the bottom with double washered-nuts above the floorplate (to hold tight) and then grinding off the screw slot to make permanent. Perhaps I could glue the 2 strips of lattice plastic together and then drill a channel through the middle of that for this bolt to go up in.

And if that doesn't cut it being a permanent 10/20 I don't know what would.. at least that I have access to..

I contacted calegalmags and Exile Machine (a member here) who has pmag 10/30 blocks, none make or know of a solution.

elnielsen
05-25-2011, 7:50 PM
The 20rd magazine must be shipped here DISASSEMBLED

And yes I had is disassembled and shipped as a kit, it even stated on the packing list that it was shipped as a kit and that there was a separate charge for that. Thank you 44mag.com. They also cover shipping.

blazeaglory
05-25-2011, 8:46 PM
$1700? i just fainted

elnielsen
05-25-2011, 9:00 PM
yea I dont feel so bad about not getting exactly what I wanted.

I had also bought some bandoliered Radway Green, which came on 5 round stripper clips, which can be shoved right into the loaded magazine through the stripper clip mount above the chamber. It was fun, though about 4-6moa where the FGMM was 2-3 moa (I was attempting to zero it) and still have a lot of work to do.