PDA

View Full Version : Ever wanted to build your own semi-auto Mini UZI?

Steyr_223
12-04-2006, 9:36 PM
Saw this how to article, does not look too hard. Wonder if there is anyway to make this Cali lega? :)

http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/buildminiuzi.htm

cornholio1
12-04-2006, 9:43 PM
Saw this how to article, does not look too hard. Wonder if there is anyway to make this Cali lega? :)

Looks like a project.

Archenemy550
12-04-2006, 10:01 PM
cant get over the 16'' bbl on that tiny gun :(

WallySparx
12-04-2006, 10:37 PM

i don't see why not, seeing as how bright spot pawn has someone working on the uzi clones with the welded mag, welded open shoulder stock, and long barrel.

also, apparently they're also getting someone to get some drop tests done on some mac 10 clones.

xenophobe
12-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Ever wanted to build your own semi-auto Mini UZI?

No.

JPglee1
12-05-2006, 1:01 AM
cant get over the 16'' bbl on that tiny gun :(

Yah you can. UZI made a 19.75" barrel just for that reason.

I know, cuz I have one on MY 9mm carbine :D

J

NeoWeird
12-05-2006, 1:34 AM
I saw that article a while ago and was going to grab two uzi receivers. Seeing as they are something like $20 a piece if you do the welding yourself, I figured I could grab a couple...

Timberland
12-05-2006, 1:37 AM
also, apparently they're also getting someone to get some drop tests done on some mac 10 clones.
where did you hear that? that would be very cool.

M14Gunman
12-05-2006, 1:56 AM
Where would one obtain an Uzi receiver?

morepoop4u
12-05-2006, 3:19 AM
Where would one obtain an Uzi receiver?

And what's the damage for a total DIY build:D

ts
12-05-2006, 4:07 AM
it would have to have an 18" barrel at lest with a fixed stock. still cool though, not really mini though.

p.s. i don't think bright spot does any mag fixing or welding on uzi's to the best of my knowledge.

NeoWeird
12-05-2006, 4:42 AM
it would have to have an 18" barrel at lest with a fixed stock. still cool though, not really mini though.

p.s. i don't think bright spot does any mag fixing or welding on uzi's to the best of my knowledge.

Bright Spot does very little in regards to moding firearms. They do NOT weld or anything like that, but they DO transfer those firearms that are already modded.

As for the receivers there are two paths I know of:

stripped in the white and completed. An Uzi receiver is odd in that it starts as a sheet metal stamping with a serial number, and then the parts are installed and welded to it to get a complete receiver. Vector is one of the few places I know of that sells completed receivers and they are currently sold out (I know, I tried). There are several places online that have the sheet metal stampings, including one place that has them listed at $20 a piece. You still need to pay the $120-150 to get the receiver parts and weld them on (and the sheet stamping is usually WAY out of spec and needs to be slightly tweaked in the process), and then you can purchase the rest of the parts like a barrel, stock, and trigger housing. All in all you would probably be pushing $450-500 so you don't save too much when building it yourself (profit potential is the same, but overall price is lower than say a PTR-91 so the overall money saved is proportionately smaller).

Some back story on the Uzi receivers. In the 1990s Group Industries was producing Uzi receivers hot and heavy. They, unfortunately, went out of business and put their ENTIRE cache of (I've heard much higher estimates and much lower estimates) ~30k receivers up for auction. These were purchased by Kentucky Imports (sometimes just KY Imports). KY Imports is the place that I have seen offer them for $20 each (again this is essentially a bent piece of sheet metal with a serial number on it; still a registerable firearm if all you needed was a serial; as such it must go through an FFL). The Group Industries receivers (from KY Imports) and the IMI receivers are the only receivers I am aware in regards to Uzi. Even Vector uses Group Industries receivers purchased from KY and marks them with their name after finishing them.

To give you an idea of what the receiver is like, the receiver stamping would be like buying an AK flat that had a pressed edge that you fold and then weld on, put the support stud, rivet, blue, etc. where as a completed Vector receiver is like buying an AK receiver that already has the trunions riveted in place and is blued, all you have to do is put your barrel and furniture on (as I understand it the Uzi barrel is insaenly easy to install, esentially a big nut holds it on and that is all). So if you want a neat challenge and can weld and possibly machine, then go for the stamping, if not, go for a completed one; just get in line now so you can get them when they start getting them back in.

PS. Parts kits for the Uzi is kind of a moot point as most people use US made receiver inards at which point the only thing left is the barrel (Vector made most likely if you go for a 16" barrel) and all that leaves is the trigger housing, which you couldn't use from an Uzi parts kit as it has the full auto fire control group (which can be fairly easily modded, but still).

Steyr_223
12-05-2006, 7:42 AM
Thanks Neo, that is great info..2007 is going to be a great OLL year!

Japedo
12-05-2006, 7:50 AM
I looked into doing a project myself after I saw the recievers at gun runners, they where in the 150-200 range already bent. The parts kits are not that expensive I saw one it was either at FTF industries or www.floridagunworks.com I cant remember but it was around $360. I decided not to do it as I do not have a welder or the skill to weld the reciever. There is however a couple complete recievers floating around, already welded. If you can get your hands on one of those, they are pretty rare.

NSR500
12-16-2006, 1:58 AM
This shop looks like they may have some: http://www.danddsales.com/firearms.htm

RANGER295
12-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Anyone know how hard it would be to load one of these things with a fixed mag?

AJAX22
12-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Since those vector receivers are pre 86 can we build them as open bolt?

blkA4alb
12-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Since those vector receivers are pre 86 can we build them as open bolt?
Not to my knowledge, anything firing from an open bolt is now illegal due to it being too easy to convert to FA, federal law.

AJAX22
12-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I thought it was just illigal to manufacture new open bolt firearms, you can still buy old open bolt semi auto mac 10's.

I don't think there's any specific state ban. I'll have to go look up the fed law

prebans
12-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Not to my knowledge, anything firing from an open bolt is now illegal due to it being too easy to convert to FA, federal law.

Open bolt semis were actually banned around 1982, IIRC.

Guys, I'm actually a moderator on UziTalk.Com. If you'd like to make a CA build, please head on over and ask for assistance. You'll be bound to get some odd looks (especially when you explain how you need to neuter the gun), but there are plenty of creative (and handy!) people there who will probably lend a hand.

Mike

blkA4alb
12-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Open bolt semis were actually banned around 1982, IIRC.

Thanks for the date.

prebans
12-16-2006, 3:10 PM
I have absolutely no interest in going to jail at all for just a wannbe Uzi. When you start building stuff like this at home is where the trouble starts. Yeah, a home made Uzi might be impress friends, but it won't the cops lol. If it's not on the sad to say, very limited approved list, then I don't want it. l:o

*I'm not a lawyer; I'm just a schmuck with a random idea. Get CAL DOJ and any other agency's approval before attempting a build like this.*

I believe I remember hearing that an "Uzi" is a prohibited item. However, the Group Industries guns aren't Uzis- they're officially a "HR4332". (Group Industries named the gun after House resolution #4332 which banned further full auto ownership.)

While an "Uzi" might not be any good, how about:

Full size HR4332 receiver, make it a .45acp, perma-install a factory 10-round .45acp mag (factory IMI .45acp Uzi mags are either 10 or 16 rounds), use a fixed stock (or weld a folder into the fixed position), a 16" barrel, and a US-parts compliance package to meet 922(r)? Since the mag is permanently attached, using a US spring (Wolff?), US floorplate, and US mag follower might be VERY advantageous!

It'd be an odd setup; you'd have to pop the topcover, remove the bolt/striker assembly, and handload the mag without a speedloader. However, where there's a will there's a way.

An Uzi pistol of any type is probably impossible unless there's an exemption for hand-made handguns. A Mini-Uzi could be built but I don't know if any 10 round 9mm mags were ever made. (I note the worry over people making high caps into 10 round mags improperly or not to spec.) Maybe a custom BarrelXChange .45 conversion for the Mini would work..?

FWIW,

Mike

AJAX22
12-17-2006, 4:15 PM
Has there been a letter on the Group Industries UZI?

and why couldn't it be made with a monster man style sharkfin grip and a fixed stock.

rla_2000
01-11-2007, 2:42 PM
I've seen one of these on youtube. If I can find I will post the link.

Post 88
01-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi Preban,

I think I will drill through the mag well and mag and use a set screw to hold the magazine in place. I don't mind unscrew the magazine after shooting ten round and reload with a fresh one then screw it on again.

P.S. I don't have a UZI yet but thinking.

adamsreeftank
01-16-2007, 4:39 PM
Would it be possible (legal) to build a pistol if you bent your own receiver or fabed it from scratch? I have a plasma cutter that needs a workout.

prebans
01-17-2007, 9:31 AM
Hi Preban,

I think I will drill through the mag well and mag and use a set screw to hold the magazine in place. I don't mind unscrew the magazine after shooting ten round and reload with a fresh one then screw it on again.

P.S. I don't have a UZI yet but thinking.

If you were going to go that route, I don't think you'd want to have anything with threads. Enough screwing and unscrewing will EVENTUALLY lead to damaged threads. Screwing up the set-screw threads... Uggh.

Mike

Q
01-17-2007, 10:47 AM
it is dangerous to build your own. i have seen the early trials of the ar15 and a bullet went out the handguard almost taking the guys hand off! also a m14 that completey exploded into pieces. these were professionally built.

i do believe it is a right to build your own for personal use only! they might allow this also because inventors are regular people also and that is how new designs are made and our economy works.

while i don't think it is a good idea to build your own when you can buy one. you should weld things in place.
button is welded on both sides.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/giwelds.jpg

limited to 10 rounds and welded
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/giweld.jpg

it's more permanant than my doj approved v-15. roll pinned and the magazine is shaved and welded.

again be careful and make sure you're doing it right. life can be difficult with only one hand.

i would look into buying a vector mp5 clone in 40cal or a bobcatweapons mp5 clone in 9mm. choice of the worlds best. maybe even a usc with a custom stock or fixed mag.