PDA

View Full Version : Ocotillo CA Desert Fun

sthornwall
12-04-2006, 9:22 PM
Just wanted to post a fun pic of myself and all the guys enjoying the great outdoors and enjoying our 2nd amendment right in the CA desert. Those 30 round mags you see are welded 10 rounders for looks. I'm closest to the camera. The fourth guy with the bright white T-shirt is a friend of mine who is CHP. Seems to be a hobby of both law abiding citizens and LEO's. Four black rifles, one .357 and one Mossberg 500. Show em off!!

VIVA OLL'S:cool:

Fate
12-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Nice. Looks like a fun day. But why is everyone shooting off their back leg? Put that center of gravity over the front one...lean into it! ;)

12-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Nice pic.

Guns R Tools
12-05-2006, 5:43 AM
I see some genetic cloning going on there. :D

One guy needs a rifle for sure...OLL

Looks like fun times.

DesertShooter
12-05-2006, 7:31 AM
Well, it looks like everyone is smiling! HAHA!

Of all the desert regions that I've used, I don't recall ever going to Ocotillo! From that one view, it looks like it's all flat land (?) Are there any low-lying hills to use as a back-stop? It also looks like it's mostly sand, so is a 4x4 necessary?

Desert shooting/camping is the BEST! Clean, fresh air! No noise, except when shooting! Camp food always tastes great! There's nothing better than a freshly-brewed cup of coffee on a brisk desert morning!

sthornwall
12-05-2006, 8:27 AM
Well, it looks like everyone is smiling! HAHA!

Of all the desert regions that I've used, I don't recall ever going to Ocotillo! From that one view, it looks like it's all flat land (?) Are there any low-lying hills to use as a back-stop? It also looks like it's mostly sand, so is a 4x4 necessary?

Desert shooting/camping is the BEST! Clean, fresh air! No noise, except when shooting! Camp food always tastes great! There's nothing better than a freshly-brewed cup of coffee on a brisk desert morning!

We were shooting into some low-lying hills. The location is pretty far out in the middle of nowhere. We asked the park ranger at the ranger station next to "blow-dust" mountain (I think it's called) where we could go shoot. He sent us out to an old naval ordinance impact site about 10 miles out next to some abandoned train tracks. If you want to go I would ask the ranger station for directions. That big white truck is what brought us out there and we almost got stuck. Be sure to bring two 4x4's to be safe. The pic was taken from the bed of the second truck. It was OLL paradise, I could not believe how many people were out there plinking with AR's and OLL's. Dad's with their wives and kids, you name it. It was a perfect end to the Veterans Day weekend.:cool:

sthornwall
12-05-2006, 8:33 AM
I see some genetic cloning going on there. :D

One guy needs a rifle for sure...OLL

Looks like fun times.

Gotta be safe considering the DOJ trolls here. We gave the guy with the .357 a hard time but the cool thing is he just picked up his first Stag LR last week. After firing ours he was sold on buying one. Between us five guys now we have brought in nine (9) OLL's into CA. Helping to spread the black rifle disease one person at a time.:D

ARRRR-15
12-05-2006, 9:07 AM
We asked the park ranger at the ranger station next to "blow-dust" mountain (I think it's called) where we could go shoot.

Close!:p Blow-Sand is the word you were looking for. Also I'm not sure how far you went out, but if you hit pole line road(bumpy dirt road you can make it in a 2WD) and head south 2 miles. You can shoot just on the east side of the road. The east side is BLM land and the west side is Park. I read that if you are on BLM land and 2 miles from any highway it is legal to shoot. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sthornwall
12-05-2006, 9:15 AM
Close!:p Blow-Sand is the word you were looking for. Also I'm not sure how far you went out, but if you hit pole line road(bumpy dirt road you can make it in a 2WD) and head south 2 miles. You can shoot just on the east side of the road. The east side is BLM land and the west side is Park. I read that if you are on BLM land and 2 miles from any highway it is legal to shoot. Correct me if I'm wrong.

LOL :D
"BLOW-SAND" That's the name of that freaking hill. I have only been there twice and I always screw that name up. Thanks

We really were not sure of this so we asked the ranger station. This was the only place we saw where people were shooting and not getting any hassle. Next time I will look into this and see if this holds true. It would be nice to be closer to where were camping.