PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on CMMG?

gunsarefun
05-18-2011, 7:17 AM
Looking into buying a CMMG complete upper, opinions on their quality? Especially compared to Stag and Del-Ton as I have a D-T M4 now and was planning on a Stag upper until I ran across CMMG.

johnny_22
05-18-2011, 7:18 AM
I have a CMMG upper in 9mm. Never jams and works well. Not sure about comparing it to Stag or the others.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 7:22 AM
Umm, CMMG uses Milspec barrel steel, NONE of the others mentioned do. I build 2 ways: With MEGA receivers, or with CMMG receivers..... and when I find complete CMMG uppers, I buy them and it saves me time. Everything that CMMG produces is made correctly and with the correct materials. Now..... we will wait for the negative comments. Here is my latest receiver set from CMMG... perfect fit as always:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/dehlers1/eed025ff.jpg

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 7:26 AM
Central Michigan Machine Gun

FailedAngrMgmt
05-18-2011, 7:35 AM
first ar i bought was a complete cmmg mod4sa...good gun, would buy another, but dont need to.

gunsarefun
05-18-2011, 7:38 AM
http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=288&categoryId=94

just ordered!

gunsarefun
05-18-2011, 7:39 AM
Now if I could just find a CMMG lower locally....:D

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 7:41 AM
2 years ago I bought a complete CMMG M4 14.5" from Marks Armory for $849... it was the Milspec model, not the WASP model. That carbine was gased more aggressively than 2 Colt carbines that belonged to friends of mine (LEO's), and it would eat ANY ammo, period. Russian, American .223, 5.56..... whatever. I ran that rifle with a Colt 9mm buffer, it was gased enough to run with it, and the 5oz buffer smoothed it out a bit. To me, that was another "Glock of rifles".... because I knew it would always go BANG no matter what.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 7:42 AM
Now if I could just find a CMMG lower locally....:D

2 places here in SD have them on the shelves. Bought my current one from Parallax.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 7:45 AM
http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=288&categoryId=94

just ordered!

Yes, $499 is a DEAL for that... that upper will be tough as nails. When I had that one, I threw a VLTOR CAS-V on it.....

NHP1127
05-18-2011, 7:49 AM
Umm, CMMG uses Milspec barrel steel, NONE of the others mentioned do. I build 2 ways: With MEGA receivers, or with CMMG receivers..... and when I find complete CMMG uppers, I buy them and it saves me time. Everything that CMMG produces is made correctly and with the correct materials. Now..... we will wait for the negative comments. Here is my latest receiver set from CMMG... perfect fit as always:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/dehlers1/eed025ff.jpg

I looked at the decription from Palmetto and it says the barrel steel is 4150 chrome moly. I didn't think that was "Milspec". I'm not a big fan of the "chart", just sayin.

evidens83
05-18-2011, 7:49 AM
CMMG is GTG :thumbsup:

blazeaglory
05-18-2011, 7:51 AM
I looked at the decription from Palmetto and it says the barrel steel is 4150 chrome moly. I didn't think that was "Milspec". I'm not a big fan of the "chart", just sayin.

Mil-spec certified 4150 chrome-moly vanadium steel M4 contour barrel

gunsarefun
05-18-2011, 7:51 AM
Yes, $499 is a DEAL for that... that upper will be tough as nails. When I had that one, I threw a VLTOR CAS-V on it.....

That is what I was thinking. BCM is almost $600 and so is Stag.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 7:54 AM

4150CMV, every barrel is MP tested and stamped that way. Of course chrome-lined.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 7:56 AM
That is what I was thinking. BCM is almost $600 and so is Stag.

If you buy that same upper from CMMG, it's over $600

FatalKitty
05-18-2011, 7:59 AM
Just got a cmmg 16" bbl with rifle gas system from cmmg... ordered it with vortex fh. Can't wait for it to arrive :)

FuzzyBrows
05-18-2011, 8:40 AM
i love my CMMG. mates with my JD lower with no play. zero.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 8:48 AM
i love my CMMG. mates with my JD lower with no play. zero.

Although I don't like the thin finish on JD lowers... I will say that there have not been any uppers that I have owned that did not fit them well.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 8:50 AM
Just got a cmmg 16" bbl with rifle gas system from cmmg... ordered it with vortex fh. Can't wait for it to arrive :)

OK, I really like that combo... My latest is a 20" rifle gas with pencil barrel.... a rare offering from CMMG.

titankeith
05-18-2011, 8:56 AM
Love my CMMG!

Bug Splat
05-18-2011, 9:20 AM
Love the CMMG uppers I have bought over the years. All shot great and one even was a 1/4MOA shooter that I used in benchrest matches. Love beating those boltactions with a semi. Anyway, great guys to talk to and they helped me build the AR's I needed, not the AR's they could sell me ($$$$). Never tried to sell me more than what I asked for and would suggest a lower cost option too. They have saved me money on builds that I was expecting to pay X-amount.

BHPFan
05-18-2011, 9:33 AM
CMMG > DelTon.

About the same as Stag, very good.

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 9:41 AM
Drop the Mil-spec references guys...CMMG is not a Mil-spec supplier.

The Mil-spec you speak of is MIL-B-11595E, and has ZERO to do with what you think it does.

4150CMV is a type of steel used to make barrels. If you are going to offer the US government a barrel made out of 4150CMV, you need to comply with Mil-B-11595E by allowing them to Inspect, Test and Certify your manufacturing process. The US Government will continually monitor your manufacturing process to ensure the barrels are made to that standard...

NOW if you don't offer 4150CMV, you don't need to hold to the Mil-B-11595E standard.

Many rifle and sidearms and machine guns in the Military do NOT use 4150CMV barrels. Anyone telling you all Military barrels are "mil-spec" is an idiot.

Just because a manufacture says they offer 4150CMV doesn't mean the barrel was manufactured IAW Mil-B-11595E.... it just means the steel is 4150CMV

You need to ask yourself this question... why does the military have a standard for barrels made with 4150CMV, but no standard for barrels made with 4140? Maybe because its so easy to screw up manufacturing a barrel with 4150CMV that the Military wants GOVERNMENT inspector on site, wants a sample tested by independent labs, and wants accountability when a batch of barrels EXPLODES when used. They don't need that with 4140, because the process used in making 4140 is straight forward and doesn't need special testing and certification.

That being said, from my research, currently the best barrels made for the common man for a general rifle used for every thing from plinking, hunting, target shooting, defense and long term durability is the CMMG WASP 556 NATO 1:9 in 4140 . The fact some of them are made with 4150CMV worries me a bit, but for a semi-auto unless you are trying to cook the barrel, it should NOT be an issue.

All issues with 4150CMV start at 1000 degrees, which is at the 10-12, 30rd magazine dumps in a row, then you need to worry about micro-fractures. The benefit of 4150CMV is you can go to 18-20, 30rd magazine dumps if needed...then your barrel melts. 4140 can only do about 12-15, 30 rd magazine dumps before that happens. 4140 doesn't have a micro-fracture problem like 4150CMV....it just melts at a lower temperature. If your barrel develops these fractures, ANY heat past say 500-600 degrees, 3-5, 30rd magazine dumps can cause the barrel to EXPLODE. So a week after that awesome "I'm so cool showing off to my friends" 300 rd as fast as I can pull the trigger fun time...the barrel explodes on you after 2 magazine dumps.

If you ask me, I would rather have a barrel that melts than one that could explode on me... YMMV.

No one using an AR15 is doing that level of suppressive fire. Even Magpul Carbine courses don't get past 600-800 degrees and 4140. 4150, & 4150CMV can handle that just fine. No issues at all with any of the 3.

The WASP replaces Chrome lining and is a better coating in the long run. The disadvantages to Melonite coating are out weighed by the advantages of a WASP process.

You start talking about double and triple coated Chrome lining with double lapping ...toss the barrel in the trash after 2,000 rounds because its not shooting sub half inch groups at 100 yards...then you don't want chrome anyways... people forget why they want chrome lining and then overlook a WASP that does a job better to begin with...because its new to them.

WASP last just as long, coats the WHOLE upper, not just the bore, has the benefit of corrosion and wear protection, with the added benefit of accuracy and is cheaper. Its better than Chrome lining for the General purpose carbine.

05-18-2011, 9:42 AM

Central Missouri Machine Gun

pontiacpratt
05-18-2011, 9:48 AM
Both of my CMMG's ran perfectly. I really like the fit/finish they have.
I've replaced the AFG with a Doublestar bipod mount and a harris 6-9 bipod.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/figgie1/jasonstuff/P1020910-1.jpg

shadow65
05-18-2011, 9:56 AM

Missouri:D

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Central Missouri Machine Gun

Oops, got my states wrong...

NorCalDustin
05-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I've got two CMMG .22LR Uppers... Both are of impressive quality.

PoofNoEyebrows
05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
I have two CMMG lowers, I actually just bought a Stag upper to put on my second. Not sure about their uppers, but I have been impressed with the quality of their lowers.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 10:21 AM

The Mil-spec you speak of is MIL-B-11595E, and has ZERO to do with what you think it does.

4150CMV is a type of steel used to make barrels. If you are going to offer the US government a barrel made out of 4150CMV, you need to comply with Mil-B-11595E by allowing them to Inspect, Test and Certify your manufacturing process. The US Government will continually monitor your manufacturing process to ensure the barrels are made to that standard...

NOW if you don't offer 4150CMV, you don't need to hold to the Mil-B-11595E standard.

Many rifle and sidearms and machine guns in the Military do NOT use 4150CMV barrels. Anyone telling you all Military barrels are "mil-spec" is an idiot.

Just because a manufacture says they offer 4150CMV doesn't mean the barrel was manufactured IAW Mil-B-11595E.... it just means the steel is 4150CMV

You need to ask yourself this question... why does the military have a standard for barrels made with 4150CMV, but no standard for barrels made with 4140? Maybe because its so easy to screw up manufacturing a barrel with 4150CMV that the Military wants GOVERNMENT inspector on site, wants a sample tested by independent labs, and wants accountability when a batch of barrels EXPLODES when used. They don't need that with 4140, because the process used in making 4140 is straight forward and doesn't need special testing and certification.

That being said, from my research, currently the best barrels made for the common man for a general rifle used for every thing from plinking, hunting, target shooting, defense and long term durability is the CMMG WASP 556 NATO 1:9 in 4140 . The fact some of them are made with 4150CMV worries me a bit, but for a semi-auto unless you are trying to cook the barrel, it should NOT be an issue.

All issues with 4150CMV start at 1000 degrees, which is at the 10-12, 30rd magazine dumps in a row, then you need to worry about micro-fractures. The benefit of 4150CMV is you can go to 18-20, 30rd magazine dumps if needed...then your barrel melts. 4140 can only do about 12-15, 30 rd magazine dumps before that happens. 4140 doesn't have a micro-fracture problem like 4150CMV....it just melts at a lower temperature. If your barrel develops these fractures, ANY heat past say 500-600 degrees, 3-5, 30rd magazine dumps can cause the barrel to EXPLODE. So a week after that awesome "I'm so cool showing off to my friends" 300 rd as fast as I can pull the trigger fun time...the barrel explodes on you after 2 magazine dumps.

If you ask me, I would rather have a barrel that melts than one that could explode on me... YMMV.

No one using an AR15 is doing that level of suppressive fire. Even Magpul Carbine courses don't get past 600-800 degrees and 4140. 4150, & 4150CMV can handle that just fine. No issues at all with any of the 3.

The WASP replaces Chrome lining and is a better coating in the long run. The disadvantages to Melonite coating are out weighed by the advantages of a WASP process.

You start talking about double and triple coated Chrome lining with double lapping ...toss the barrel in the trash after 2,000 rounds because its not shooting sub half inch groups at 100 yards...then you don't want chrome anyways... people forget why they want chrome lining and then overlook a WASP that does a job better to begin with...because its new to them.

WASP last just as long, coats the WHOLE upper, not just the bore, has the benefit of corrosion and wear protection, with the added benefit of accuracy and is cheaper. Its better than Chrome lining for the General purpose carbine.

So, when CMMG states "Mil-spec certified 4150 chrome-moly vanadium".. What do you understand that to mean? When these guys show up at the SHOT show as a company and display all their products, don't you think they would be a laughing stock in the eyes of other vendors and manufacturers if they state this... and it's BS? Second, I understand the concept of WASP..... LWRC does something similar.... but why do you think CMMG reserves this surface treatment for their lower line 4140 rifles? Just curious.

762.DEFENSE
05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
I have a CMMG and love it. Never have issues with it, and in my opinion they make better products than Stag and Del-Ton.

blazeaglory
05-18-2011, 10:25 AM

now THAT is good to know:D

blazeaglory
05-18-2011, 10:26 AM
So, when CMMG states "Mil-spec certified 4150 chrome-moly vanadium".. What do you understand that to mean?

made to "mil spec" standards which is the government rating standard and coated in chrome not WASP. can get hotter and fire more mags faster but your barrel will crack and explode first not melt...Lol

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 10:55 AM
So, when CMMG states "Mil-spec certified 4150 chrome-moly vanadium".. What do you understand that to mean? When these guys show up at the SHOT show as a company and display all their products, don't you think they would be a laughing stock in the eyes of other vendors and manufacturers if they state this... and it's BS? Second, I understand the concept of WASP..... LWRC does something similar.... but why do you think CMMG reserves this surface treatment for their lower line 4140 rifles? Just curious.

1) I think they get a supply of barrels from a manufacture that says they are complying with the Mil-B-11595E mil-spec. They are stating what they are told.

2) Very few...and I MEAN very few... people understand what mil-spec is. So even the few of us who have worked with mil-specs for our whole lives would not question CMMG on this. I know for a fact CMMG can offer to sell the Military anything...they can apply for and receive a NSN, CAGE Code and list items in the supply chain... a purchase contract and mil-spec compliance inspection is a whole nother ball of wax. The same is true for RRA, STAG, Bushmaster, BCM...

3) CMMG is a company selling gear. people want 4150CMV, mil-spec chrome lining, 11degree target crowns, blessed by Jesus himself upper...once you start offering something OTHER than that... people don't spend money on it. Its supply/demand pricing. I will guarantee you right now in 10 years if the major or majority of shooters wants a WASP over chrome...EVEN THOUGH the WASP process is cheaper..it will cost more...that how things work. During my research on WASP, I came across a web post with a GORE-TEX analogy. 20 years ago North-Face a high end company producing mountain climbing jackets and gear was offering this new material called GORE-TEX. It was the best thing since sliced bread..outstanding stuff. Few in the military mil-spec monkey mindset wanted it...the Military didn't use it, the Military didn't think it was good... duck feathers and nylon tight weave was the best...LOL Then the military looked at GORE-TEX... now everyone wants GORE-TEX.

Glock uses Tefiner, CMMG uses Melonite, you are now telling me LWRC using something similar and over the next few weeks I will research that (thanx BTW...you just gave me yet another thing to research!). To me the WASP process is in the first phases of acceptance in the community. Over the next few years the process will improve as more research is done and more people buy it. When more people want it, the R&D to improve its downsides (which from what I read are less then current chrome lining processes) will be over come. Its not as good as double and triple chrome lining with lapping...but its less cost then single chrome lining (which most barrel manufactures offer), and is better.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
1) I think they get a supply of barrels from a manufacture that says they are complying with the Mil-B-11595E mil-spec. They are stating what they are told.

2) Very few...and I MEAN very few... people understand what mil-spec is. So even the few of us who have worked with mil-specs for our whole lives would not question CMMG on this. I know for a fact CMMG can offer to sell the Military anything...they can apply for and receive a NSN, CAGE Code and list items in the supply chain... a purchase contract and mil-spec compliance inspection is a whole nother ball of wax. The same is true for RRA, STAG, Bushmaster, BCM...

3) CMMG is a company selling gear. people want 4150CMV, mil-spec chrome lining, 11degree target crowns, blessed by Jesus himself upper...once you start offering something OTHER than that... people don't spend money on it. Its supply/demand pricing. I will guarantee you right now in 10 years if the major or majority of shooters wants a WASP over chrome...EVEN THOUGH the WASP process is cheaper..it will cost more...that how things work. During my research on WASP, I came across a web post with a GORE-TEX analogy. 20 years ago North-Face a high end company producing mountain climbing jackets and gear was offering this new material called GORE-TEX. It was the best thing since sliced bread..outstanding stuff. Few in the military mil-spec monkey mindset wanted it...the Military didn't use it, the Military didn't think it was good... duck feathers and nylon tight weave was the best...LOL Then the military looked at GORE-TEX... now everyone wants GORE-TEX.

Glock uses Tefiner, CMMG uses Melonite, you are now telling me LWRC using something similar and over the next few weeks I will research that (thanx BTW...you just gave me yet another thing to research!). To me the WASP process is in the first phases of acceptance in the community. Over the next few years the process will improve as more research is done and more people buy it. When more people want it, the R&D to improve its downsides (which from what I read are less then current chrome lining processes) will be over come. Its not as good as double and triple chrome lining with lapping...but its less cost then single chrome lining (which most barrel manufactures offer), and is better.

Diesel..... don't get me wrong... I love your arguments..... but are you saying that CMMG does not entirely know what in the hell they are selling to the public? I'm gonna take their word for it until someone PROVES them wrong...... or until my barrel fractures:)

a1fabweld
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I've had quite a few CMMG uppers, lowers, triggers & I'm totally satisfied with their products & service.

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Diesel..... don't get me wrong... I love your arguments..... but are you saying that CMMG does not entirely know what in the hell they are selling to the public? I'm gonna take their word for it until someone PROVES them wrong...... or until my barrel fractures:)

No, what I am saying is CMMG doesn't have to know.

To be Mil-spec you need to comply with 100% of this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.everyspec.com%2FMIL-SPECS%2FMIL%2BSPECS%2B(MIL-B)%2Fdownload.php%3Fspec%3DMIL-B-11595E_AMENDMENT-1.014405.PDF&rct=j&q=mil-b-11595e%20.pdf&ei=5hzUTbz9K9SSgQff2MAu&usg=AFQjCNHd3CNEjkyENvWW-ngBMv9kyJAvGg&sig2=EudJlUKtVRL48ph-SGZ7YQ

here is another link to the mil-spec if that one is not working http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL+SPECS+(MIL-B)/

To certify to a purchase order you must comply with EVERY step. Please read tasks section 4. I know of no Government Contractor assigned to CMMG. CMMG relies on a manufacture to comply with section 4, but if the Government wants to buy from CMMG a purchase order inspection will be set into motion and you better believe a Contractor will be assigned to CMMG to sign on the dotted line saying CMMG is complying...until that time its just a cert from a barrel company stating they are within the mil-spec.

mrvash
05-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, military specifications or not, my personal CMMG LE WASP rifle has functioned perfectly well so far, it has approximately 2,000 flawless rounds. Whatever CMMG is doing to get this durability and reliability for a great price, I urge them not to change.

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Well, military specifications or not, my personal CMMG LE WASP rifle has functioned perfectly well so far, it has approximately 2,000 flawless rounds. Whatever CMMG is doing to get this durability and reliability for a great price, I urge them not to change.

and I bet it will only get better as more and more people realize the WASP process is way to go.

I really do think the CMMG WASP 556 NATO 1:9 is the best out there for the GP carbine...anything more is a waste of money without a specific reason.

4150CMV, Double chrome lining, triple lapped maybe better, but cost 3x as much.

If you are just buying 4150CMV chrome lined you are not getting anything better. It just is what more people are familiar with.

rareair
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
If you're comparing CMMG to Stag, good news........CMMG supplies barrels & piston kits to Stag for their own rifles.

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
If you're comparing CMMG to Stag, good news........CMMG supplies barrels & piston kits to Stag for their own rifles.

didn't know that. Good to know. I heard CMMG supplied .22lr conversion kits, didn't know Stag bought CMMG manufactured barrels and piston systems.

I was under the impression Stag was Shaw and Wilson for barrels.

mrvash
05-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah, CMMG supplies Stag with barrels and piston kits. All these manufactures/distributors work together to gain some sort of profit. The AR market, currently, is a huge investment that is what most people can call a 'cash cow' Your simple Joe-blow can make a huge killing in our very own marketplace, buy in bulk AR accessories for wholesale price, turn around and sell it for 10-40% more and profit.

tacticalcity
05-18-2011, 1:10 PM
I have been running and selling CMMG for over 8 years without issue. Absolutely love them.

They are one of the few companies offering barrels with shorter than 16" in length and pinning and welding flash hiders to them. Such uppers shave off about 1-2" in length while still being legal. And you really do notice that small amount of length when doing CQB.

Their lowest end barrel comes with lining/coating which other companies consider an upgrade and they offer wide variety of high end options so that you can build a truly custom and high-end rifle.

In any case, I am very pleased with my CMMG rifle and my backup rifle that runs a CMMG barrel and gas system. Both have served me very well.

My M4gery, which is my primary rifle started off completely CMMG. Like an idiot I cracked a wing for the trigger guard off the lower by not being cautious enough a couple years back and replaced the lower with a Spikes. Would have preferred CMMG but got a good deal on the Spikes and ran with it for the time being. The upper is made by CMMG and features their 14.7" w/ pinned A2 Hider Chrome Lined Barrel. It also has a CMMG Lower Parts Kit, CMMG Milspec Buffer Tube Kit, and few other CMMG Parts I cannot think of right now.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/M4.jpg

My backup rifle was purchased one part at a time over a period of year. It was meant to serve both as a backup for my M4gery, and as a precision rifle. Based on a Seal Recon Rifle. I bought whatever part I could afford each month, and hunted around for the best deal I could find at the time for the best quality part. Bear in mind I already got dealer pricing, but I wanted to find even better deals without sacraficing quality. It was more about proving I could build a high end rifle without feeling the pinch of the price. It features a CMMG 1:8 Stainless Steel CMMG Barrel, CMMG Low Profile Gas Block, CMMG Midlength Gas System, CMMG A2 Flash Hider CMMG Lower Parts Kit, and a CMMG Milspec Buffer Tube Kit.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/IMG_0606.jpg

17+1
05-18-2011, 1:26 PM
My CMMG A4 has been a good rifle.

I don't know what the infatuation with mil-spec is...I was browsing a LaRue tactical catalog the other day and their stuff looks really, really good...pretty sure none of it is mil-spec considering the lower appears to be made from a billet, the barrels are 'LW50' stainless, BCG are hard chrome, there was no forward assist, etc. I would rather have one of their uppers than a STAG/CMMG/BCM/whatever is currently the flavor of the month.

Then again, just the upper is more than my entire CMMG...

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 2:43 PM
No, what I am saying is CMMG doesn't have to know.

To be Mil-spec you need to comply with 100% of this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.everyspec.com%2FMIL-SPECS%2FMIL%2BSPECS%2B(MIL-B)%2Fdownload.php%3Fspec%3DMIL-B-11595E_AMENDMENT-1.014405.PDF&rct=j&q=mil-b-11595e%20.pdf&ei=5hzUTbz9K9SSgQff2MAu&usg=AFQjCNHd3CNEjkyENvWW-ngBMv9kyJAvGg&sig2=EudJlUKtVRL48ph-SGZ7YQ

here is another link to the mil-spec if that one is not working http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL+SPECS+(MIL-B)/

To certify to a purchase order you must comply with EVERY step. Please read tasks section 4. I know of no Government Contractor assigned to CMMG. CMMG relies on a manufacture to comply with section 4, but if the Government wants to buy from CMMG a purchase order inspection will be set into motion and you better believe a Contractor will be assigned to CMMG to sign on the dotted line saying CMMG is complying...until that time its just a cert from a barrel company stating they are within the mil-spec.

Well hell then, maybe BCM does not "have" to know either.... maybe they are just repeating what they are "told" as well, after all, they don't manufacture their own barrels.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 2:51 PM
Yeah, CMMG supplies Stag with barrels and piston kits. All these manufactures/distributors work together to gain some sort of profit. The AR market, currently, is a huge investment that is what most people can call a 'cash cow' Your simple Joe-blow can make a huge killing in our very own marketplace, buy in bulk AR accessories for wholesale price, turn around and sell it for 10-40% more and profit.

They may supply Stag with barrels, buy only the consumer grade ones... not that there is anything inherently wrong with those.......

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 2:53 PM
Well hell then, maybe BCM does not "have" to know either.... maybe they are just repeating what they are "told" as well, after all, they don't manufacture their own barrels.

correct. its a term..thats all. people who know are not going to cry foul, since its a moot point in the long run. people who don't know...don't know.

now you know.

I think Spikes is the only company who published his certs IAW Mil-B-11595E...and that only proves part of what is needed to say you are selling "Mil-Spec" barrels. I have not seen a purchase order, a contract to supply and the associated completed inspection by Government representatives, signed and certifed.... and there isn't one.

Bushmaster is the only commercial company to gain that rating and backed out of the contract. they couldn't keep the contract requirements and rather then die trying, the company closed its door and the Freedom Group shipped the Roll mark to another facility. EVEN IF bushmaster kept that military cert alive, its no indication of the level of inspection they spent on YOUR barrel. It could even be viewed as THEFT since the Gov is paying for certs Inspectors, keeping certs on file... and they are selling product to civilians with inspection certs meant for the military.

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 2:57 PM
here are Spikes certs.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=194245

I have not looked them over. I just glanced at them.

It shows they are really tring to keep to the mil-spec, but that still doesnt mean its 100% mil-spec.

Its just a term at this point...

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 3:33 PM
correct. its a term..thats all. people who know are not going to cry foul, since its a moot point in the long run. people who don't know...don't know.

now you know.

I think Spikes is the only company who published his certs IAW Mil-B-11595E...and that only proves part of what is needed to say you are selling "Mil-Spec" barrels. I have not seen a purchase order, a contract to supply and the associated completed inspection by Government representatives, signed and certifed.... and there isn't one.

Bushmaster is the only commercial company to gain that rating and backed out of the contract. they couldn't keep the contract requirements and rather then die trying, the company closed its door and the Freedom Group shipped the Roll mark to another facility. EVEN IF bushmaster kept that military cert alive, its no indication of the level of inspection they spent on YOUR barrel. It could even be viewed as THEFT since the Gov is paying for certs Inspectors, keeping certs on file... and they are selling product to civilians with inspection certs meant for the military.

That's because Spikes "used" to have Sabre barrels. Those are the real deal... and were made in-house at Sabre.

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 3:34 PM
How about this one? :

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/dehlers1/543cdfb9.jpg

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 4:42 PM
How about this one? :

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/dehlers1/543cdfb9.jpg

what does an FN barrel have to do with CMMG's statement on mil-spec and 4150 CMV...

I am not arguing with you about what Colt, FN, Sabre, and DD do. I am just stating that the CMMG WASP barrel is a better deal that their 4150CMV....

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 4:46 PM
what does an FN barrel have to do with CMMG's statement on mil-spec and 4150 CMV...

I am not arguing with you about what Colt, FN, Sabre, and DD do. I am just stating that the CMMG WASP barrel is a better deal that their 4150CMV....

Was just messin with ya.............. But until someone proves otherwise..........I believe CMMG steel is up to milspec standards.

atsaubrey
05-18-2011, 4:54 PM
Not that my opinion matters or anything but my first and only (sadly) AR is a CMMG................LOVE the thing!

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 5:09 PM
Was just messin with ya.............. But until someone proves otherwise..........I believe CMMG steel is up to milspec standards.

I hope (and know) CMMG is better than mil-spec.

Penguin4091
05-18-2011, 6:48 PM
I love my WASP M4gery. It shoots great runs no matter how dry it is and WASP is like tennifer so I don't have to worry about leaving it a little dirty when I come back from the range.

pontiacpratt
05-18-2011, 7:20 PM
For those using a CMMG LPK: Be aware, today we had one come back and the notch on the bottom of the hammer was machined too wide... resulting in Full-auto while trying to reset the trigger. Probably a isolated incident but...

missiontrails
05-18-2011, 7:23 PM
For those using a CMMG LPK: Be aware, today we had one come back and the notch on the bottom of the hammer was machined too wide... resulting in Full-auto while trying to reset the trigger. Probably a isolated incident but...

"Probably"? Ya think? lol

pontiacpratt
05-18-2011, 7:27 PM
"Probably"? Ya think? lol
:p lol

gunsarefun
05-18-2011, 9:34 PM
I'm not going to war, I'm just target practicing. Mil spec or not, I think I'm going to be happy.... I don't plan to dump 18-20 30rnd mags as fast as I can because I see no point to, and because that would be dumping basically $200 worth of ammo.:eek:

My first AR, which is a Del-ton, has been great for me. I'm sure I'll be happy with the upper I went with from CMMG.

pontiacpratt
05-18-2011, 9:38 PM
I'm not going to war, I'm just target practicing. Mil spec or not, I think I'm going to be happy.... I don't plan to dump 18-20 30rnd mags as fast as I can because I see no point to, and because that would be dumping basically $200 worth of ammo.:eek:

My first AR, which is a Del-ton, has been great for me. I'm sure I'll be happy with the upper I went with from CMMG.
It will serve you well.:hurray: