PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a scope

rysmithjr
05-17-2011, 9:38 PM
Rookie here, please be patient.

I recently bought a Howa M1500 .308 from the Marketplace here. 20" barrel, Glass bedded Bell and Carlson medalist stock, Tactical Bolt Knob, EGW 0 MOA Base. I also bought Burris XTR rings from member Allied Armory here, and a Bushnell 3200 fixed 10x scope (matching mil/mil reticle) from Midway.

My question is, what next? How do I mount the rings and scope for proper alignment and then how do I go about sighting it in? I don't have a work bench/rest, just to make things difficult.

Worst case, I can take it to s gunsmith locally, but I'd rather learn it myself.

UserM4
05-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Do you have an automotive feeler gauge?
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00940804000-1

a in-lb torque wrench?
http://www.gggaz.com/images/detailed/FATTorqeWrenchCollage.jpg

and blue loctite?
http://image.hotbikeweb.com/f/10695216/0806_hbkp_05_z+blue_loctite+put_on_new_threads.jpg

Clean the bottom of the base and the top of the receiver with degreaser.
Torque the base to the receiver at 20 INCH-pounds
Then mock the rings and the scope and check for eye relief.
Dab just a tiny bit of loctite on tip of every screw.
Mount the bottom half of the rings to the base at 45 INCH-pounds while pressing towards the muzzle using the rail as recoil lugs.
Set the scope into the rings.
Place the top half of the rings on the lower half.
Lightly thread in the top ring screws until the scope has resistance to twist and to slide front to back.
Check eye relief if necessary.
Oil the bottom of scope erector housing and the top of rail just above the housing.
Place the correct number of feeler gauges between the scope erector housing and rail until there's light resistance.
Torque the top ring screws to 15 INCH-pounds.
Pull feeler gauges out.
Bore sight the scope.
Voilą

rysmithjr
05-19-2011, 2:22 PM
Could you help with some of the unfamiliar jargon? As I said, I am new at this, and don't know what all of this means.

"eye relief" - assuming this has something to do with the distance my eye is from the rear of the scope?

"while pressing towards the muzzle using the rail as recoil lugs."

"scope erector housing"

"the correct number of feeler gauges"

"Bore sight the scope."

toby
05-19-2011, 2:35 PM
Google and Utube are your friends

CSACANNONEER
05-19-2011, 2:39 PM
Did you want to lap your rings?

Also, do yourself a favor and do not waste your money on any type of bore sighter. You can do the exact same thing, probably better than a laser bore sighter can, by pulling your bolt out and sighting down the bore.

Pryde
05-19-2011, 3:23 PM
This will answer everything.

lQgXPA4A2J0

UserM4
05-19-2011, 6:17 PM
Could you help with some of the unfamiliar jargon? As I said, I am new at this, and don't know what all of this means.

"eye relief" - assuming this has something to do with the distance my eye is from the rear of the scope? All scopes have a sweet spot where the distance between eye piece and your eyes get the brightest and clearest image without shadows appearing. Once you get behind the rifle, you'll need to have a good, comfortable, and consistant cheek weld on the stock and move the scope back and forth until you get a bright, crystal clear image. The eye relief may change as you change magnification so take that into consideration. Also, you may notice a difference in eye relief shooting from a bench and shooting prone.

"while pressing towards the muzzle using the rail as recoil lugs." When you set a ring on the base, there's slight wiggle room from front to back. Just apply pressure on the rings, towards the front of the rifle before torquing the screws. Because of recoil, the natural tendency for the rings is to go forward. You want to remove any movement before it happens.

"scope erector housing" The main body of the scope where the turrets pop out of. It's flat on the bottom. You can squeeze in the feeler gauges there so that the scope sits perfectly upright and the reticle doesn't cant. That way your turrets will track properly when making adjustments, especially at greater distances.

"the correct number of feeler gauges" Each feeler in the feeler gauge set has a certain thickness to it. Just eye ball what you think will fit by stacking a few of the gauges together and if you have too much, remove whatever is necessary and if you have too little, add more gauges until you have a decent amount of resistance when trying to slide the feelers in and out between the scope body and the base. You don't want it too tight because you'll be torquing down the top half of the ring and the scope body will sandwich the gauges tight against the base making it almost impossible to remove or even possibly causing damage to your scope/base/or rings.

"Bore sight the scope." Basically, set the rifle down on some sandbags or something and remove the bolt. Look through the receiver and down the barrel until you are looking at a target 100yds away. (If you don't have 100yds of clearance available, 50 will do but expect to make a little more adjustments when you actually sight in your scope) Then look through your scope and adjust the turrets until the crosshairs are on the middle of the target. This will usually get you on paper so that you can zero your rifle easier. Assuming that your scope has 1/4 MOA turrets (basically means that 4 clicks will move the bullet 1" at 100 yards) and the first shot (actually I use the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 5th shot because the 1st shot is usually a cold bore shot (something to do with a clean barrel vs dirty barrel) and lands somewhere inconsistent with the rest of the shots) lands 2" to the left and 1" low, you can turn your windage knob to the right 8 clicks and the elevation knob up 4 clicks. When you take your next shot, theoretically, you should hit a bullseye. Saves a lot of time and ammo to boresight before you go.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out. And be sure to include some pics!

rysmithjr
05-19-2011, 8:11 PM
Thanks for that, very clear explanations! I'll hunt for a torque wrench to borrow and let you know how it goes.

rysmithjr
06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
So after some distractions of life & work and the new puppy (60 pounds at 5.5 months!), I am finally getting some tools in today. I had a bit of Midway Money (my scope went on sale a month after I bought it, so they credited me the difference, great customer service over there at Midway!) and they sent me a note about special pricing for my birthday, so I bought a cheap vise and a scope kit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=607786
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=453687

I'll be back soon with progress & photos.

rysmithjr
06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
So after some distractions of life & work and the new puppy (60 pounds at 5.5 months!), I am finally getting some tools in today. I had a bit of Midway Money (my scope went on sale a month after I bought it, so they credited me the difference, great customer service over there at Midway!) and they sent me a note about special pricing for my birthday, so I bought a cheap vise and a scope kit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=607786
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=453687

I'll be back soon with progress & photos.

UserM4
06-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Nice to see updates! Happy birthday!

Quinc
06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm using the 3200 10x40 with mildots on my Mosin. Your going to love it.