PDA

View Full Version : FAL Question - barrel won't index.

ketec_owner
12-04-2006, 5:53 PM
How do one get an FAL barrel to index correctly when it only will index to 11 O'clock?

Zwingli
12-04-2006, 6:36 PM
Doing one makes me an expert right?

I assume its not an inch patern--which uses washers.

First it should hand tighten to where the gas tube cut out centers in that V at about 11 oclock on the receiver.

Also if its not a new barrel make sure there isn't something in the surfaces that could cause it not to tighten

then--the pro way is to turn down the shoulder on the barrel in a lathe a very small amount until it does.

However, the goofball way is to very carefully take some finish off from the front of the receiver--not metal. Like a disk sander, hand turned (read: HAND TURNED). If you have to go more than taking off the finish--then you need better help than I.

Also telling what kind of receiver it is DSA etc. may help the experts that are on here.

xenophobe
12-04-2006, 6:38 PM
The FAL uses shims to index the barrel. Contact DSArms or Enterprise Arms.

Zwingli
12-04-2006, 6:43 PM
I know I'm not in any way an expert, but shims would only help if its indexing too far. From what I read it isn't indexing far enough?

ketec_owner
12-04-2006, 6:48 PM
The reciever is a DSA type I. The barrel is an brazilian Imbel demill. Yes - it's not indexing far enough before threads hit bottom.

NeoWeird
12-04-2006, 7:48 PM
What you do is take a sanding disk and open the hole in the center large enough to fit the threads through. You then put it on the barrel, abrassive end towards the muzzle, and thread the barrel onto the receiver. When it starts getting tight you work them together to get a nice flat even finish on the rifle. You do this until it times at 10:30-11:00. If you take too much off and overshoot then you can use shims to get it to time properly.

Pryde
12-04-2006, 7:52 PM
I'm not sure what your question is, but if your barrel is hand indexing at 11 o'clock, then that is perfect.

The barrel should hand tighten at 11 o'clock and then you torque it the last few until 12 with a receiver wrench and barrel vice.

If it is hand indexing at LESS than 11 then you will need to remove material from the barrel shoulder, if it is bottoming out at 11 o'clock then removing material from the receiver is BAD, take down the barrel. Another method used by home gunsmiths on the FALfiles is to get a "cheater bar" which is a long *** bar attached to your wrench, and force it to 12 o'clock using your body as force.

If it is hand indexing at MORE than 11 then you will need a shim between the receiver and barrel.

The barrel should never bottom out on the receiver through hand tightening, Neoweird has it right.

goose
12-04-2006, 7:58 PM
Ideally you want the barrel to hand time to close to 11 like the picture. The rest involves torqueing the barrel to the proper TDC. Many ways to do this to make sure your sights are aligned. Visit the FAL Files and search around. Great info there on building a FAL.

Zwingli
12-04-2006, 8:09 PM
Ya what they said above :). I just did a DSA. I had the same as you. I found that before I had to remove any metal--that just making sure everything is clean and smooth--like the threads and the barrel shoulder, and the finish on the receiver--that it made a suprising difference on how far it would hand tighten. Especially the finish on the front which on the DSA seemed pretty generous. Just cleaning those areas moved it from a 10:30 to an 11.

goose
12-04-2006, 8:09 PM
Well everyone beat me to the punch. After further reading I am with Pryde, not exactly sure what you are asking. Is the breech face of your barrel bottoming out in your receiver? When you screw it in to 11:00 is there still a gap between the breech face/receiver?

ketec_owner
12-05-2006, 8:29 AM
Don't think it's the breech face that's bottoming out. Rather it's the lip. But I'm getting that indexing at 11 is fine? It should torque to 12? If I can't get it to index - I may look at a STG.58 parts kit instead of the imbel. BTW - anyone have a line on nice wood furniture?

Pryde
12-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Don't think it's the breech face that's bottoming out. Rather it's the lip. But I'm getting that indexing at 11 is fine? It should torque to 12? If I can't get it to index - I may look at a STG.58 parts kit instead of the imbel. BTW - anyone have a line on nice wood furniture?

Yes, hand-index at 11 o'clock is perfect, that is where it is supposed to go. You need to torque it on with special tools to get it to 12 o clock. As long as the breach face is not bottoming out, you are A OK.

Sydwaiz
12-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Built two. 11:00 is fine. You do have a barrel vise and receiver wrench, right?

ketec_owner
12-05-2006, 1:05 PM
No - don't have the wrench or vice clamp yet. I have all the AR and M1A tools - but not the FAL tools yet.