PDA

View Full Version : Good airline-worthy gun case for AR15?

jdouglas
05-17-2011, 7:12 PM
I'll be traveling by plane from SoCal to Alaska pretty soon, and I'm hoping to take my AR15 with me.

I know that the Pelican 1700 would work (and would work very well too), but I'd like to see if there are any cheaper options out there that would still provide enough protection from the woefully inept baggage handlers. The cheapest I'd be able to get a Pelican would probably be around $175 for a used one.

Another case I've found is the Browning Bruiser case (http://www.opticsplanet.net/browning-bruiser-hard-shell-gun-case.html). It should fit an AR15 (even without separating the upper and lower), and is considerably cheaper than the Pelican, at about $125 shipped. Unfortunately I can't find any reviews on it anywhere, so I have no idea how well it would actually hold up.

The Plano AW case (http://www.opticsplanet.net/plano-molding-aw-tactical-cases-36in-or-42in-black.html#) is even cheaper at $90 shipped, but I'm not sure if it is airline/TSA approved (no place for padlocks?).

Do you think either of the above options would work (or any other options out there...like a standard luggage case for clothing, assuming it is lockable and hard-sided)? Or should I just go all in and get a Pelican?

WDE91
05-17-2011, 7:14 PM
Pelican/Storm
or
SKB

when you let the baggage animals play with expensive gear in cheap cases things get broken

take a look at this
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425244

mlevans66
05-17-2011, 7:29 PM
Get a pelican and don't look back! LOL

Fjold
05-17-2011, 7:43 PM
Americase has a good reputation.

Edit: (I have a Pelican,)

rareair
05-17-2011, 7:44 PM
Pelican & Boyt is the only case worthy of my firearms.

You're in Southern California? Check out www.nalpak.com They often have in-store sales which aren't advertised on their site. If you're in the San Diego area, I highly recommend them. Last month I purchased (3) Storm iM3100 for $250 out the door :D
So it pays (and saves) to visit their store.

Otherwise, keep perusing CraigsList. Pelican cases come up all the time

Damiiaaannn
05-17-2011, 7:46 PM
Just go with pelican.

popeye4
05-17-2011, 7:49 PM
Pelican/Storm
or
SKB

when you let the baggage animals play with expensive gear in cheap cases things get broken

take a look at this
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425244

What he said. I had a rifle in a generic hard case a few years back, it got dropped out of the cargo hold and the crosshair wire broke in the scope. Fortunately, I was returning from the hunt, the trip was not ruined. The old adage about buying the best and crying once applies here.

jdouglas
05-17-2011, 7:55 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll be looking for a good deal on a Pelican then. From what I understand it should last me a lifetime, and even if I decide I don't need it any longer (i.e. one-time trip) I can probably sell it for very close to what I got it for.

EDIT: THREE(?) Storm iM3100 cases for $250? Those are well over $150 each on their website...that's quite a deal.

BOFH
05-17-2011, 7:56 PM
Kalispel makes some really nice cases..pretty spendy though. I have one of their double pistol cases, really beefy.

NorCalAthlete
05-17-2011, 8:00 PM
another vote for Pelican. I have two of the 1700 cases and one 1750, along with a couple other luggage/briefcase sized ones. Awesome cases, well worth it, and as stated they'll last you pretty much forever. Mine have been dropped, tossed, banged around, and are still in perfectly good working condition.

BOFH
05-17-2011, 8:02 PM
Nevermind about the Kalispel cases, I guess the indian tribe that manufactured them since 1974 quit making them. Bummer. Awesome stuff.

popeye4
05-17-2011, 8:13 PM
I've got an SKB double case now. It is polymer, but extremely robust. It also came with the TSA locks, if that means anything. I won't say the baggage apes couldn't damage it, but they'd have to work really hard at it!

OhDannyBoy
05-17-2011, 9:44 PM
Check out CASE CLUB in Anaheim.

Nate87
05-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Pelican 1750 is what I carry through airports. I can usually have a few rifles and pistols with accessories stuffed all up in there. But it does become a challenge trying to get it to EXACTLY 50 pounds so it's not overweight with all the rifles/pistols/optics but you get the hang of it.

BigfootHunter
05-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I have Pelicans and Hardigg Storms (now owned by Pelican, it seems) and i would pick the Hardigg head and shoulders above a Pelican, assuming they haven't changed anything on them since they absorbed them. The latches are much better and it just fits better.

My 700p came with a Pelican case from the factory and as the rifle was put in the case with the foam uncut, it seems to have bowed the seam on both sides, making it especially difficult to close, and seal. The Hardiggs also have latches at either end, where my Pelicans do not.

YMMV

UserM4
05-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Pelican 1700 is perfect. Can't go without wheels. Also, DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS! Declare your firearm and they'll tag it. No one needs to open it again. Use good locks like ABLOY or something quality.

motorwerks
05-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Just go with pelican.

this

rareair
05-18-2011, 6:32 AM
EDIT: THREE(?) Storm iM3100 cases for $250? Those are well over $150 each on their website...that's quite a deal.

Yes it is. Retail for a little over $200/ea If you're in San Diego, go check them out. They are in El Cajon near Parkway Plaza