View Full Version : Cheapest way to go after a big bored AR?

05-17-2011, 6:33 PM
So by big bore, I'm mostly considering bushmaster 450, 458 SOCOM, and .50 beuwolf (and possibly .308).

I currently have a 223 DPMS AR build and I want to go after a new build. I didn't build my last AR in so much as slap a complete upper on top of a lower (built the lower, not the upper...) but this time around I'm willing to build the upper so long as it saves money in the end (and if it saves merely $20, I'm justified... I want to learn along with the upper build). I know the "money saving" aspect seems contradictory to the amount big bore ammo costs, lol... so I guess I'm more wanting to learn moreso how to build the upper, and have an AR I can truly declare "mine".

So is it possible to build any of these big bore uppers piece by piece? If so, whats the cheapest route in terms of 450, 458, .50, or .308?

I'm thinking I can achieve my true budget AR build by watching for parts floating around in the marketplace. I'm by no means in a rush to get it together, so I'm thinking by the sacrifice for time I'm making I can save money.

What yall think/say?

05-17-2011, 6:54 PM
cheap? :laugh:

ive heard for under $1400

05-17-2011, 8:10 PM
Cabelas has a complete .450 Bushmaster upper for $599. It is currently on backorder, but expected to ship in 99 days.

05-17-2011, 8:20 PM
Check slickguns.com regularly...never know what will pop up :D