PDA

View Full Version : School me on high cap mags...

dandingo13
05-17-2011, 7:02 PM
I'm just about finished with my AR build and I've read many threads with the mention of high cap mags. Are these legal ever? I've tried searching but can't find any info. I've checked the stickies as well. Thanks in advance...

8200rpm
05-17-2011, 7:04 PM
They're legal. Sometimes.

Sometimes, they're illegal.

paul0660
Do you have some? If not, you can't have some.

Quiet
The definition of a "standard capacity magazine" and a "high capacity magazine" can vary from firearm to firearm.
Therefore, there is no legal definition of a "high capacity magazine".

However, there is a legal definition of a large capacity magazine. [PC 12020(c)(25)]

Here are the CA state laws pertaining to large capacity magazines.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(19) The sale of, giving of, lending of, importation into this state of, or purchase of, any large-capacity magazine to or by any federal, state, county, city and county, or city agency that is charged with the enforcement of any law, for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties whether on or off duty, and where the use is authorized by the agency and is within the course and scope of their duties.
(20) The sale to, lending to, transfer to, purchase by, receipt of, or importation into this state of, a large capacity magazine by a sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.
(21) The sale or purchase of any large-capacity magazine to or by a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
(22) The loan of a lawfully possessed large-capacity magazine between two individuals if all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person being loaned the large-capacity magazine is not prohibited by Section 12021, 12021.1, or 12101 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code from possessing firearms or ammunition.
(B) The loan of the large-capacity magazine occurs at a place or location where the possession of the large-capacity magazine is not otherwise prohibited and the person who lends the large-capacity magazine remains in the accessible vicinity of the person to whom the large-capacity magazine is loaned.
(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully possessed in the state.
(24) The lending or giving of any large-capacity magazine to a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071, or to a gunsmith, for the purposes of maintenance, repair, or modification of that large-capacity magazine.
(25) The return to its owner of any large-capacity magazine by a person specified in paragraph (24).
(26) The importation into this state of, or sale of, any large-capacity magazine by a person who has been issued a permit to engage in those activities pursuant to Section 12079, when those activities are in accordance with the terms and conditions of that permit.
(27) The sale of, giving of, lending of, importation into this state of, or purchase of, any large-capacity magazine, to or by entities that operate armored vehicle businesses pursuant to the laws of this state.
(28) The lending of large-capacity magazines by the entities specified in paragraph (27) to their authorized employees, while in the course and scope of their employment for purposes that pertain to the entity's armored vehicle business.
(29) The return of those large-capacity magazines to those entities specified in paragraph (27) by those employees specified in paragraph (28).
(30)(A) The manufacture of a large-capacity magazine for any federal, state, county, city and county, or city agency that is charged with the enforcement of any law, for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties whether on or off duty, and where the use is authorized by the agency and is within the course and scope of their duties.
(B) The manufacture of a large-capacity magazine for use by a sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.
(C) The manufacture of a large-capacity magazine for export or for sale to government agencies or the military pursuant to applicable federal regulations.
(31) The loan of a large-capacity magazine for use solely as a prop for a motion picture, television, or video production.
(32) The purchase of a large-capacity magazine by the holder of a special weapons permit issued pursuant to Section 12095, 12230, 12250, 12286, or 12305, for any of the following purposes:
(A) For use solely as a prop for a motion picture, television, or video production.
(B) For export pursuant to federal regulations.
(C) For resale to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, or the military, pursuant to applicable federal regulations.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

dandingo13
05-17-2011, 7:15 PM
So no? I still don't feel like I've gotten a straight answer.

stix213
05-17-2011, 7:15 PM
If you already own them you can use them, as long as they are not used in a fixed mag center fire semi-auto rifle, or a fixed mag pistol.

If you don't already own them, send a donation to the CGF. Gene and friends have something brewing.

PC 12020 bans importing, manufacturing, giving, and sales in general after 1/1/2000. There is no ban on possession or use (except in the fixed mag firearms mentioned above)

Don't let Quiet's word games confuse you. You were clearly talking about 11 or greater round magazines, which PC 12020 addresses.

Cyc Wid It
05-17-2011, 7:17 PM
Nono, it's if you already have them LEGALLY... Which has been hashed out above.

Baconator
05-17-2011, 7:19 PM
I'm just about finished with my AR build and I've read many threads with the mention of high cap mags. Are these legal ever? I've tried searching but can't find any info. I've checked the stickies as well. Thanks in advance...

If you are building a featureless AR, sure they are legal for you to use in that AR. If you are building an AR with a bullet button, no they are not legal for you to use in that AR.

dandingo13
05-17-2011, 7:23 PM
Thank you very much for the responses. That's exactly what I was looking for.

OC_Gunman
05-17-2011, 7:44 PM
If you are building a featureless AR, sure they are legal for you to use in that AR. If you are building an AR with a bullet button, no they are not legal for you to use in that AR.

The above is only true if you owned the high cap magazines prior to Jan 1, 2000.

My friend, if you did not own high cap magazines in California prior to Jan 1, 2000, you are out of luck. They cannot be sold or given to you now. You cannot bring them in from out of state. Some folks like to get cute and say you can "find" them, but that's fantasy.

I hope that's straight and clear enough.

blazeaglory
05-17-2011, 7:51 PM
i have some receipts from the late 90's from BB guns for my old russian 30RND mags if you want them....;)

i keed i keed..

once again, for any LEO, that was a "joke" solely intended for informative and comedic purposes, nOt to be construed as an offer for an illegal transfer of a receipt or receipts. in plain terms...I WILL NOT GIVE ANYONE MY OLD RECEIPTS...NEVER!

bohoki
05-17-2011, 7:56 PM
fixed magazines are limited to 10 rounds

i think the confusion comes from the fact that fixed magazines and detachable magazines are identical on the ar-15

unlike say an sks

Baconator
05-17-2011, 8:01 PM
The above is only true if you owned the high cap magazines prior to Jan 1, 2000.

My friend, if you did not own high cap magazines in California prior to Jan 1, 2000, you are out of luck. They cannot be sold or given to you now. You cannot bring them in from out of state. Some folks like to get cute and say you can "find" them, but that's fantasy.

I hope that's straight and clear enough.

Whenever he acquired the magazines does not affect the legality for him to use them in a featureless rifle.

Arkangel86
05-17-2011, 8:14 PM
Whenever he acquired the magazines does not affect the legality for him to use them in a featureless rifle.

Really???

DID NOT know this!

G1500
05-17-2011, 8:17 PM

^^^^This.

You could borrow them from someone who owns them and use them in a featureless rifle.

davek8s
05-17-2011, 8:22 PM
If you have a rifle with a bullet button. you can not use hi cap mags.

If you didn't buy your hi cap mags before 1/1/2000, you shouldn't even own them.

If you're like me and bought a bunch of hi caps before the ban, you can use them in your registered assault weapons or in a rifle with a monster man grip, instead of a pistol grip.

When you acquired your magazines does matter. If you acquired them after 1/1/2000, then some kind of law was broken.

paul0660
05-17-2011, 8:23 PM
^^^^This.

You could borrow them from someone who owns them and use them in a featureless rifle.

IF:

12020 22) The loan of a lawfully possessed large-capacity magazine between two individuals if all of the following conditions are met:(A) The person being loaned the large-capacity magazine is not prohibited by Section 12021, 12021.1, or 12101 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code from possessing firearms or ammunition.(B) The loan of the large-capacity magazine occurs at a place or location where the possession of the large-capacity magazine is not otherwise prohibited and the person who lends the large-capacity magazine remains in the accessible vicinity of the person to whom the large-capacity magazine is loaned.

Librarian
05-17-2011, 8:29 PM
Try this sticky in the handguns forum:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

aghauler
05-17-2011, 8:35 PM
This thread brings a couple of questions to mind:

1. I have 6 15 rd M1 Carbine mags I've owned since 1969, how do I prove I own them legally?

2. How do you determine if an AR15, M16, M14, M1A magazine was made prior to 2000?

Thanks, BB

Baconator
05-17-2011, 8:37 PM
This thread brings a couple of questions to mind:

1. I have 6 15 rd M1 Carbine mags I've owned since 1969, how do I prove I own them legally?

2. How do you determine if an AR15, M16, M14, M1A magazine was made prior to 2000?

Thanks, BB

You don't have to. There is no law against possession of the magazines.

jwkincal
05-17-2011, 9:01 PM
You don't have to. There is no law against possession of the magazines.

This.

You can possess them. You cannot come into possession of them. Fun, huh?

(That came into force in 2000 as described above)

If you do possess them, you cannot use them in a rifle with a BB (i.e. a "fixed" magazine)

That's about the whole of it.

OC_Gunman
05-17-2011, 9:14 PM

The fact that he cannot have legally acquired magazines after Jan 1, 2000 moots any discussion about the legality of using such magazines. I'm assuming we're all law abiding citizens.

Baconator
05-17-2011, 9:17 PM
The fact that he cannot have legally acquired magazines after Jan 1, 2000 moots any discussion about the legality of using such magazines. I'm assuming we're all law abiding citizens.

Unless a friend loans them to him, or he did find them, or he was a cop.

Arkangel86
05-17-2011, 9:18 PM
So what if I have a hi cap magazine I acquired before 1/1/2000, and the body was damaged and I wanted to rebuild it.

Am I SOL because any mag body I buy now will be dated past 2000?

762.DEFENSE
05-17-2011, 9:18 PM
Legal if you find them lying on the ground at the range and no one dares to claim them :pinch:

762.DEFENSE
05-17-2011, 9:19 PM
However: not legal to use on your BB equipped Rifle.

Baconator
05-17-2011, 9:20 PM
So what if I have a hi cap magazine I acquired before 1/1/2000, and the body was damaged and I wanted to rebuild it.

Am I SOL because any mag body I buy now will be dated past 2000?

No, you can fix them with parts, this is why many dealers sell "rebuild kits." You cannot make any more magazines than you started with though, like you can't use pieces of your one magazine to make two functional magazines.

Arkangel86
05-17-2011, 9:23 PM
No, you can fix them with parts, this is why many dealers sell "rebuild kits." You cannot make any more magazines than you started with though, like you can't use pieces of your one magazine to make two functional magazines.

So then there's no law broken there.... are there any date stamps on the spring/follower/floor plate?

You know what Im getting at?

Baconator
05-17-2011, 9:26 PM
So then there's no law broken there.... are there any date stamps on the spring/follower/floor plate?

No, you are repairing not manufacturing. Even if there were date stamps on every piece it wouldn't matter because there is no law against possession of these magazines.

Librarian
05-17-2011, 9:28 PM

You know what Im getting at?

I hope not, because that might be thought of as encouraging others to commit a crime, and we don't do that on Calguns.

As to date stamps on parts, those are not relevant; it's legal to rebuild your pre-2000 magazines with 2011 parts.

Bigtwin
05-17-2011, 9:35 PM
ZING!!!!

Librarian beat me to it!

Arkangel86
05-17-2011, 9:36 PM
I hope not, because that might be thought of as encouraging others to commit a crime, and we don't do that on Calguns.

As to date stamps on parts, those are not relevant; it's legal to rebuild your pre-2000 magazines with 2011 parts.

Of course not, I just don't want to be committing a felony if I rebuild a previously acquired mag that was inoperative due to damage.

I just looked at the sticky and it clears everything up. For those who havent clicked it...

The wiki has a long article: Large-capacity magazine restrictions (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Large-capacity_magazine_restrictions) and there is a long thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709) here at Calguns

but for those people who find themselves unable to click on a link:

California restricts certain things about magazines greater than 10 rounds; it has created a silly legal name for them - "large-capacity magazines" - and says we 'regular people' cannot import, sell or manufacture them. ("Dealer" FFLs may get licenses from DOJ for these activities; curio and relic licensees cannot.) The restriction applies to both centerfire and rimfire weapons.

It is perfectly legal - no restrictions at all in the Penal Code - to own and possess and use those "large-capacity magazines" in any gun*, at any time, under any circumstances where it is legal to use a gun. Ownership, possession and use of "large-capacity magazines" are not crimes in PC; there is no section under which you could be charged.

Those who own "large-capacity magazines" are not required to keep records or receipts, and not required to explain how they got them.

Yes, you can go out of state and buy magazines of any capacity - but you may not bring "large-capacity magazines" back to CA as complete magazines - that would be importing and that can be charged as a felony.

Yes, you can buy part kits to repair your existing magazines - but you cannot assemble them into complete "large-capacity magazines" inside CA - that would be manufacturing and that can be charged as a felony.

You can have "large-capacity magazines"; no one may give them or sell them to you in California, and you may not give or sell them to anyone else in California. This includes sales from LEO and intrafamilial transfers - that would be included in selling and that can be charged as a felony.

There is no such thing as a "pre-ban" or "post-ban" "large-capacity magazine", and it doesn't matter. Markings on magazines have no legal meaning.

If you think your question has not been answered, follow the links at the top of this post and read the articles, then re-read items (2) and (3) above several times.

* Note: it is not a part of the "large-capacity magazine" law, but part of the 'assault weapon' law that says a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is an 'assault weapon'.

That means that

if your otherwise legal semiautomatic, centerfire rifle has a magazine lock, such as a 'bullet button',
and you use a "large-capacity magazine" in that weapon, (which, because of the magazine lock is effectively a fixed magazine rifle)
then you will have manufactured an 'assault weapon'.
That's a felony. Don't do that.

RoundEye
05-17-2011, 9:41 PM

There is an entire thread dedicated to the subject here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409).

stangmar
05-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Don't mean to thread hijack - kinda similar topic:

If I buy an Arsenal AK/prebuilt AK - and I decide to move out of state - will I be able to remove the magazine button on it? Or on any other gun that I build/buy?

Cyc Wid It
05-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Arsenal is "different" and has permanently attached ones. Buy from someone else.

Librarian
05-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Don't mean to thread hijack - kinda similar topic:

If I buy an Arsenal AK/prebuilt AK - and I decide to move out of state - will I be able to remove the magazine button on it? Or on any other gun that I build/buy?

Arsenal is "different" and has permanently attached ones. Buy from someone else.

But if you DO get something removable, they apply ONLY to California. Should you escape to Free America, you can remove the bullet buttons. Even if you merely visit Free America, you can take them off until just before you re-enter CA.

furfam4
05-17-2011, 11:18 PM
#2 above contradics the AW law which causes me confusion. Anyone else?

G1500
05-17-2011, 11:22 PM
#2 above contradics the AW law which causes me confusion. Anyone else?

Nope.

Read the asterisk at the end:

* Note: it is not a part of the "large-capacity magazine" law, but part of the 'assault weapon' law that says a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is an 'assault weapon'.

chead
05-18-2011, 2:50 AM

Arsenal uses standard mag latches that are clipped to be half as short. You can easily replace them with a standard latch and shroud-style bullet-button.

furfam4
05-18-2011, 7:47 AM
I read all of it and still think they contradict each other.

Nope.

Read the asterisk at the end:

advocatusdiaboli
05-18-2011, 10:21 AM
I think I finally understand—the clever anti-gun forces purposefully create obfuscated legislation to keep us occupied trying to figure out what is actually legal while placing us at risk from poorly informed LEOs. The Fear Doctrine at work. Those b@st@rds are clever—I'll grant them that.

rubber duckie
05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
you have PM

Sniper3142
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM

There are ways someone could LEGALLY acquire Large Capacity Magazines after Jan 1, 2000.

So your blanket statement above is incorrect.

Regardless of how rare these specific situations might be, they DO exist.

Librarian
05-18-2011, 1:49 PM
I read all of it and still think they contradict each other.

No, they don't.

The asterisked part is an EXCEPTION to the 'any gun' statement. It's impossible to keep that 'in line' and have it make any sense, but here's what it would look like:

It is perfectly legal - no restrictions at all in the Penal Code - to own and possess and use those "large-capacity magazines" in any gun (EXCEPT! it is not a part of the "large-capacity magazine" law, but part of the 'assault weapon' law that says a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is an 'assault weapon'.
That means that if your otherwise legal semiautomatic, centerfire rifle has a magazine lock, such as a 'bullet button',
and you use a "large-capacity magazine" in that weapon, (which, because of the magazine lock is effectively a fixed magazine rifle)
then you will have manufactured an 'assault weapon'.
That's a felony. Don't do that.), at any time, under any circumstances where it is legal to use a gun. Ownership, possession and use of "large-capacity magazines" are not crimes in PC; there is no section under which you could be charged.

You could NOT be charged for the magazine, but you could be charged for using the magazine to manufacture an 'assault weapon'.

G1500
05-18-2011, 3:13 PM
There are ways someone could LEGALLY acquire Large Capacity Magazines after Jan 1, 2000.

I don't think they are as rare as most people think. I do admit someone finding a box full of magazines is a pipe dream, but there are other exemptions and ways of acquiring them other than importing into the state, manufacturing or causing to be manufactured, they are not common though.

Gunguy1
05-20-2011, 7:08 AM
So here's a scenario: a friend of mine volunteers at a range, and at the end of the day he helps make sure the positions are left clean etc. Recently while checking the positions, he found that someone left a standard 30rd AR magazine at one of the positions. They are waiting to see if anyone contacts the range about having left a magazine there, but no one has so far (at least last time he checked) and it has been approx. 2 months. So, if no one claims the magazine, could he legally keep the magazine, if it was truly found? Or would he have to surrender it to the local PD?
I know he can't use it because he did not own it or his AR prior to the 2000 ban, but I'm just wondering if he could even legally keep it (provided no one claims it).

Just a curiosity question for te sake or interesting discussion.

mag360
05-20-2011, 10:30 AM
what does not owning his AR prior to 2000 have to do with the magazine...hint: it doesnt.

Sniper3142
05-20-2011, 10:59 AM
So here's a scenario: a friend of mine volunteers at a range, and at the end of the day he helps make sure the positions are left clean etc. Recently while checking the positions, he found that someone left a standard 30rd AR magazine at one of the positions. They are waiting to see if anyone contacts the range about having left a magazine there, but no one has so far (at least last time he checked) and it has been approx. 2 months. So, if no one claims the magazine, could he legally keep the magazine, if it was truly found? Or would he have to surrender it to the local PD?
I know he can't use it because he did not own it or his AR prior to the 2000 ban, but I'm just wondering if he could even legally keep it (provided no one claims it).

Just a curiosity question for te sake or interesting discussion.

If no one claims it, he can legally keep and use it.

The only limitations are on the kind of rifle he uses it in. It must be either a Featureless one (no AW features) or be a Registered AW (RAW).

C_1
05-20-2011, 2:16 PM
I dont know if anyone posted this, but it may help:

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

Gunguy1
05-21-2011, 8:30 AM
His AR is definitivly not a featureless Build and he didn't own it before 2000, so it's not an (RAW).
.... Ok, that's what i thought. So he can keep it if no one claims it, but he can't use it because it would be fixed mag over 10 rounds.

Haha, I know where this is going. If no one picks up the mag, he's going to want to build a secong featureless rifle (nothing wrong with that!).

Quickbeam
05-21-2011, 11:40 AM
OK, I have another hypothetical question:

Enough with the hypotheticals.
Read this first post - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409
Magazines cannot possibly be so attractive that you would even consider committing a crime that would risk your finances, freedom, and right to own guns.
// Librarian

OC_Gunman
05-21-2011, 12:59 PM

If the OP qualified for one of the rare exceptions, I doubt he'd be asking the question in this forum.

I don't think we should contribute to unrealistic hopes of acquiring high cap mags by those who didn't get in before the ban - - I think it will tempt or confuse folks into breaking the law.

Understand: The high cap ban sucks, it prevents newbies from participating in the shooting game as freely as they would like. The ban is misguided, ineffective, and morally wrong. It's outrageous. The solution is not to skirt or violate the law. The solution is to get so mad about the law, at the unfairness of it, that you will get politically involved to overturn it.

specialDFX
05-27-2011, 3:48 PM
Forgive the bump, but google turned up a post about someone having been sold a large cap mag at a gun show, and the dealer being at fault, but not the buyer, and I can no longer find it.

Anyone confirm/deny this?

MasterYong
05-27-2011, 4:31 PM
Forgive the bump, but google turned up a post about someone having been sold a large cap mag at a gun show, and the dealer being at fault, but not the buyer, and I can no longer find it.

Anyone confirm/deny this?

Uh, unless the buyer can unequivocally prove that he didn't know you can't buy high caps anymore that sounds like FUD. Even then, iffy.

The standard consensus seems to be that the buyer is still at fault because the crime couldn't have been committed without their participation in it. Conspiracy IIRC.

IANAL.

Still, it's irrelevant. Even if it were 100% legal to buy high-caps it would still be 100% legal to sell them, so you haven't some up with any kind of work-around, if that's what you're getting at.

Until the laws change, either through legislation or litigation, you can't buy a high-cap mag unless you are exempted in the law. Period.

MrPlink
05-27-2011, 7:54 PM
you can legally use hi-caps in anything that doesent need a mag lock to be legal no matter how you got them.

ACQUISITION is the legality at question.

Viper
05-27-2011, 10:03 PM
What is the law about bringing hi-caps from another state. I just got back from reno and bought two 30rd mags from Cabelas's. Since they are illegal, what do I do with them?

Arkangel86
05-27-2011, 10:09 PM
What is the law about bringing hi-caps from another state. I just got back from reno and bought two 30rd mags from Cabelas's. Since they are illegal, what do I do with them?

I believe the only legal way to bring them in is taken apart as rebuild kits.

Baconator
05-27-2011, 10:12 PM

You bringing them back is the illegal part. It is illegal to import them.

Viper
05-27-2011, 11:21 PM
I still can't use them since my AR has a BB.... :(

MrPlink
05-28-2011, 1:15 AM
ha, way to admit to committing crimes on a public forum.

Take em apart and keep em that way, or block em off to 30rds

Don29palms
05-28-2011, 9:14 AM
Where does PC 12020 say that it is illegal to buy high cap mags in California? It says illegal to sell but not buy or purchase. Just asking.

Baconator
05-28-2011, 9:17 AM
Where does PC 12020 say that it is illegal to buy high cap mags in California? It says illegal to sell but not buy or purchase. Just asking.

While it doesn't say it is illegal to buy, there is an argument to be made that you buying them from someone who can't sell them to you makes you guilty of conspiracy.

dandingo13
05-28-2011, 9:43 AM
I really appreciate all of the responses and lawful guidance. Although I now believe I understand about 95% of the law, it is absolutely ridiculous that our state, which should be technically run by US, the citizens, is so out of whack. The worst part is, I only see the laws getting worse, not better. I want to do something about it but wouldn't even know where to start.

G1500
05-28-2011, 6:58 PM

Wow, really?

Cyc Wid It
05-28-2011, 7:15 PM
This position is probably not going to be popular here but: people who don't take the time to try and figure out the laws should probably not own said items.

nanoc
05-28-2011, 7:58 PM
What is the law about bringing hi-caps from another state. I just got back from reno and bought two 30rd rebuild kit mags from Cabelas's. Since they are legal, should I make them 10/30's?

Fixed it for you. :cool:

ThemBastards
05-28-2011, 9:24 PM
So what happens when people get stopped by rangers or LEO? Do they have to have receipts on them for the mags that state they were purchased prior to 2000? How does this work if a buddies dad lends me his hi-caps and I use them in a non-fixed rifle?

Librarian
05-28-2011, 10:38 PM
So what happens when people get stopped by rangers or LEO? Do they have to have receipts on them for the mags that state they were purchased prior to 2000? How does this work if a buddies dad lends me his hi-caps and I use them in a non-fixed rifle?

As to documentation, none is necessary - no law says you have to keep any, and no law says you have to explain to anyone.

I don't understand 'non-fixed rifle' - do you mean an OLL built 'featureless'?

If so, use of 10+ mags in those rifles is legal, but if "buddy's dad" has lent you the mags, dad should still be with you - lending large-capacity mags is only legal if the lender stays with the borrower and the mags.

See also this sticky: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Read the first post, over and over, until you understand the thread title.

Viper
05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Fixed it for you. :cool:

Thanks. :notworthy:
Thats what I meant to say :D

ThemBastards
05-28-2011, 11:20 PM
As to documentation, none is necessary - no law says you have to keep any, and no law says you have to explain to anyone.

I don't understand 'non-fixed rifle' - do you mean an OLL built 'featureless'?

If so, use of 10+ mags in those rifles is legal, but if "buddy's dad" has lent you the mags, dad should still be with you - lending large-capacity mags is only legal if the lender stays with the borrower and the mags.

See also this sticky: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Read the first post, over and over, until you understand the thread title.

Yeah I meant a featurelss, ok so lender needs to be with the borrower... So still what happens? Have any of you been stopped by LEO and asked about your high-caps? I am sure it has been discussed before but I am still new and can't seem to find the search button :kilt: Oh thanks by the way for the answer I didn't want to sound ungrateful : )

G1500
05-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah I meant a featurelss, ok so lender needs to be with the borrower... So still what happens? Have any of you been stopped by LEO and asked about your high-caps? I am sure it has been discussed before but I am still new and can't seem to find the search button :kilt: Oh thanks by the way for the answer I didn't want to sound ungrateful : )

Nothing wrong with borrowing LCMs as long as the owner is there while you are borrowing.

Nothing will come of LEO asking you, since there is nothing illegal about having/using them.