PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis 308

TNP'R
05-17-2011, 1:51 PM
So I bought a Savage axis 308 from just guns, went in there with intentions of buying a marlin 45-70 but they didn't have any so I thought id pick something else up, they didn't have the remington 700 in 308 so I took the savage axis in 308, the price was pretty cheap so I pulled the trigger on it.

Anyone own it and have experience with it?

VacaDuck
05-17-2011, 3:32 PM
I've got two of them. Pretty good rifles for the price. I paid $279 each for them last August.

Using Hirtenberger surplus from AIM, I am able to keep them at a little under an inch at 100 yards.

TNP'R
05-17-2011, 3:51 PM
I've got two of them. Pretty good rifles for the price. I paid $279 each for them last August.

Using Hirtenberger surplus from AIM, I am able to keep them at a little under an inch at 100 yards.

That's pretty good for what they are.

Synergy
05-17-2011, 4:06 PM
FWIW
I dont own a Savage and from my research and reviews I have read they make a damn fine rifle. They don't have the fan boys like Rem, but they can stand up to Rem down range. When I am ready for a long range precision it will be a Savage. I just need to stop buying AR's. :43:

morfeeis
05-17-2011, 5:27 PM
had thoughts of getting one a while back but never got around to it, i heard great things about the trigger though.........

llamatrnr
05-17-2011, 5:31 PM
Does that Axis have the "Accutrigger"?

VacaDuck
05-17-2011, 5:57 PM
Does that Axis have the "Accutrigger"?

No. It is a cheaper version of the Stevens 200.

Let me rephrase that. It is meant to replace the Stevens 200. IT shares almost nothing with any other Savage rifle. The receiver and bolt are it's own, as is the trigger, safety and stock. It does retain the barrel nut / barrel of it's siblings, but I do not know if they are interchangeable.

llamatrnr
05-17-2011, 6:58 PM
No. It is a cheaper version of the Stevens 200.

Let me rephrase that. It is meant to replace the Stevens 200. IT shares almost nothing with any other Savage rifle. The receiver and bolt are it's own, as is the trigger, safety and stock. It does retain the barrel nut / barrel of it's siblings, but I do not know if they are interchangeable.

Got it; thanks.

WiKDMoNKY
05-17-2011, 7:08 PM
I was able to modify my trigger on my Savage Axis XP .308 and take it from 6 or 7 lbs to about 2.5 to 3 lbs. I did the mod for about $1.50 with a spring and screw from Ace Hardware. I found the information on the internet, but I made it better and easier to revert to stock.

Unfortunately I had to hack the hell out of the screw on mine learning how to make it work, but I did my buddy's Savage Axis XP 30-06 with a different approach and it came out super clean and really easy to revert back to stock. I just need to get the screw I forced into my trigger out to make mine the same way I did his. I would take pics of my trigger, but I am embarrassed at how mangled it is. I can try and get my buddy to break down his rifle and take some pics for me.

My buddy still cant get over how much of a difference it made. On his stock trigger he said the barrel would drop 2" every time he pulled trigger because it was so heavy. Now he is getting touching groups at 100 yards.

It made a cheap nice rifle a cheap awesome rifle. The scope is not too bad either...