PDA

View Full Version : Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout Covert

Asset
05-17-2011, 1:49 PM
http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/guns/precision-rifles/dta-srs-covert-rifle-chassis-138.html

The .338 Lapua version is especially tempting. I was thinking about all the different uses this rifle could have, not to mention how durable it is. Customizable too! .338 Lapua can take down any animal I'll ever want to hunt, and all the accessories are available via DTA. What I'm really excited about is the weight and balance: it's the same length as an MP5! A true pleasure to shoot, I'm sure.

What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with DTA? Good buy?

P.S. Are the 5-round detachable magazines OK in CA?

Iggy
05-17-2011, 2:27 PM
It's a nice rifle no doubt, but it very purpose specific. I would say 16" not ideal for 1000 yards even though they so on their site. 18-20 is what would prefer on the short end.

They are also expensive. A single barrel swap minus the bolt and mag are 1000 or more.

I don't own one, but if you only plan on shooting one caliber then you can do better for the money in my opinion.

Iggy
05-17-2011, 2:28 PM
5 round detachable mags are good to go an any bolt action rifle.

killshot44
05-17-2011, 2:36 PM
Like Iggy says, it fills a very specific niche and at a high price.

MrPlink
05-17-2011, 2:54 PM
Like Iggy says, it fills a very specific niche and at a high price.

and stupid AWESOME!

762.DEFENSE
05-17-2011, 2:55 PM
Looks similar to the new Kel-Tec coming out.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Strelok16/RFB_right_aimpoint_BUIS_6883web.jpg

Ryan in SD
05-17-2011, 2:55 PM
The name itself makes me want to punch it.

"Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout Covert "

Most cheesy name EVER.

It looks cool though.

Toast
05-17-2011, 3:03 PM

Most cheesy name EVER.

It looks cool though.

I agree, they pretty much jammed every tactical sounding word they could in the name :rolleyes:

Iggy
05-17-2011, 3:14 PM
I agree, they pretty much jammed every tactical sounding word they could in the name :rolleyes:

They forgot Nuclear. If they added that I would buy 2.

NapaCountyShooter
05-17-2011, 3:20 PM
No suppressor, no sale.

brando
05-17-2011, 3:22 PM
The Covert turned out to be quite an over achiever when it was in development. It was initially intended for .308WIN only but it was remarkably effective with .338LM in 18-20" barrels. At this point, the only good reason to choose the SRS over the Covert model is the longer handguard for bipod stability. There's a rumor that there will be interchangeable handguards in the future, but that's not confirmed. Both are very ergonomic and extremely well balanced, not to mention accurate. There are a variety of 3rd party smiths that are spinning caliber conversions with Benchmark and Bartlein barrels, making this platform even more versatile. At the moment DTA is putting the finishing touches on .260Rem & 6.5x47mm Lapua conversions.

Mine's patiently waiting to get exported to me in New Zealand.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/BDoggBrando/DTA/DSC_1715.jpg

Arnelcheeze
05-17-2011, 3:23 PM

Most cheesy name EVER.

It looks cool though.
LOL

bighead
05-17-2011, 3:34 PM
Lamest GI Joe wannabe sounding name ive heard in a while.

brando
05-17-2011, 3:45 PM
I think the reason they called it the "Covert" as because it was designed to compete with AI's Covert model.

Cyc Wid It
05-17-2011, 4:06 PM
How can you possibly compare DTA with Kel Tec?

jokat989
05-17-2011, 5:25 PM
a 16 inch .338 lapua mag? that thing must sound like a grenade going off

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
05-17-2011, 5:34 PM
Expensive and you still need to put on a quality 2k plus scope.

But if you have the means, go for it!

killshot44
05-17-2011, 5:44 PM
How can you possibly compare DTA with Kel Tec?

Come on, it's not like they're BCM or anything.....:rolleyes:

Seriously, that RFP from KelTec is interesting (still not buying one); barrels available out to 32" making a 40" OAL!
But their charging/ejection operation looks weird at best. Under $2K, they'll sell.

KillZone45
05-17-2011, 6:14 PM
I was interested in buying one but the caliber conversions are money and I am not sure I would really take advantage of one. I have decided on the traditional bolt gun. This was the same platform that was on Future weapons with Mac on the Military channel, it sure seems like a cool gun though. Maybe in the future though. Quite a few for sale over on SH though, just not the covert.

Mute
05-17-2011, 6:14 PM
The Covert is really light and handy. It's a great field rifle. It's too bad that the price will keep in out of the hands of a large number of people. I'd gladly use one to replace most of my hunting rifles.

Iggy
05-17-2011, 8:09 PM
The Covert is really light and handy. It's a great field rifle. It's too bad that the price will keep in out of the hands of a large number of people. I'd gladly use one to replace most of my hunting rifles.

Exactly! I would love a covert in 18" but for the price I got a TacOps.

brando
05-17-2011, 9:02 PM
Yup, the price increase has definitely closed the doors to many shooters. For less money you could get a custom shop gun that shoots just as well. Where their value really starts to show though is when you have multiple calibers and one good quality scope. Compare the costs of an SRS in .308, .300WM & .338LM sporting an S&B 5-25x with 3 custom guns and scopes...

bomb_on_bus
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Hell the HTI option looks better IMO.

Cheapest way to get a .50DTC bolt action. It will have a longer lead time as the barrel has to be a special order. But how many people you know in CA sporting a 50cal bull pup rifle?

Also have the choice of the Cheytac relm of calibers as well if those float your boat.

As far as accuracy goes for a 1k shot with a 16 inch barrel....................

Asset
05-18-2011, 7:49 AM
thanks for the feedback, guys. probably gonna wait on this rifle until i have more experience with lesser calibers. i was gonna go with a quality 5.56 AR, but got scared out of the idea because of all our ridiculous rules. i wish it was simpler to have fun with guns.

Z.1
05-18-2011, 8:22 AM
Oh boy, get one while you can... I'm sure the antis will do their best to ban it once thet get wind of this (from the website):

"The Covert adds a new level of concealability in a full-power sniper rifle never-before-seen outside of submachineguns yet gives up no capability." :eek:

Sounds dangerous :rollseyes:

killshot44
05-18-2011, 2:39 PM
i was gonna go with a quality 5.56 AR, but got scared out of the idea because of all our ridiculous rules. i wish it was simpler to have fun with guns.

Calguns was created in part to make the rules simple to understand. Read the flowchart and proceed with confidence.

Ask questions, this place is a great resource.

Guns ARE fun.

bomb_on_bus
05-19-2011, 9:38 PM
It cant get any simpler than following the flow chart.

ponder
06-24-2011, 9:32 AM
Come on, it's not like they're BCM or anything.....:rolleyes:

Seriously, that RFP from KelTec is interesting (still not buying one); barrels available out to 32" making a 40" OAL!
But their charging/ejection operation looks weird at best. Under $2K, they'll sell.

The Kel-Tec RFB is quite a rifle. Spend some time looking at this model. And by the way, you can get four RFP's for the cost of one SRS. You can have one in the jockey box of all four rigs!

X-NewYawker
06-24-2011, 1:07 PM
Ordered one yesterday
original full size SRS was one of the most accurate rifles I ever tested
buddy has SRS with 308,300win and 338 barrels and S&B scope -- i think that's ten grand worth of gun. You can get the Covert with a 16 inch barrel but what id=s the minimum OAL for CA again? The gun is 26 inches long.
It will also take the 24 inch 308 barrel.
They designed it for cops who needed call out -- with 16 inch barrel sane size as MP-5A2!

X-NewYawker
06-24-2011, 1:09 PM
BTW -- If 308 Keltec built as well as the 14 shot 12 gauge -- forget it. Desert Tactical is a GUN.

Untamed1972
06-24-2011, 1:30 PM

Most cheesy name EVER.

It looks cool though.

I think I'm gonna wait till the "Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon NINJA Scout JEDI Covert " comes out...it's supposed to come with heat seeking, armor incinerating rounds too!

but dang that is a very nice, compact package.

brando
06-24-2011, 1:41 PM
The Covert is not an NFA weapon. Because it's a bolt gun it can be 26" in CA, while a semi would have to be 30" minimum. The .260Rem & 6.5x47 Lapua conversions should be available next month.