PDA

View Full Version : Good price for .223 ammo?

sthornwall
12-04-2006, 4:01 PM
I have been shopping around and it seems the best price I can find for 500 rds of .223 is about $99. Considering that I have found at most places it can run up to $150 per case of 500. Is $99 a good deal for 500 rds? I have only found this price at the Crossraods of the West gun show when it's in town. Does anyone know where I may possibly find a better deal in San Diego or the surrounding area? BTW the gun show will be this comming this weekend of Dec. 9th and 10th at Del Mar Fairgrounds.:confused:

Joe
12-04-2006, 4:15 PM
What kind of ammo is it?

sthornwall
12-04-2006, 4:52 PM
What kind of ammo is it?

Sorry....American Eagle .223 REM:)

chiefcrash
12-04-2006, 5:03 PM
from what i've found at the moment, that ain't too bad of a deal. The only things i've found cheaper from my usual sources are wolf and Miwall reloads

sargenv
12-04-2006, 5:10 PM
$99/500 for American Eagle is a prety good price. I think Outdoor Marksmen's mart (Miwall distributor) is selling it for like $130 to $140/500 and then you pay shipping.

There's no "I" in "team". But there's no "U" in "team" either...

A guy always pointed this out to me.. There is no I in Team but there is a "me". :D

Vince

Joe
12-04-2006, 5:16 PM

Yes, I would say that is a great deal for AE223. That comes out to $4 a box of 20. A few months ago that is how much I paid online at outdoormarksman.com, but now the price has gone up to $5.50 or $5.19 if you buy 50+ boxes. If I were you I would definately pick up at least one, probably two boxes of AE223 if it were only $99 for 500. It might not last much longer at that price.

Corbin Dallas
12-04-2006, 5:18 PM
I paid $129 for 1000 rounds of 223 last time we were at DelMar GS. They were reload and not SS109. I think I'll get me another case.

Ratters
12-04-2006, 5:22 PM
Miwall had the cases for $105 I think at the Vallejo gun show. Man, this stuff is getting pricey. I remember not to long ago paying $165 for a case of 3131a which they now want 299 for. I actually felt lucky to get a case of 3131 for 239 at the gun show. They wanted 400 for a case of SA .308. :( I guess we're stuck with these high prices for awhile.

sthornwall
12-04-2006, 6:54 PM
Yes, I would say that is a great deal for AE223. That comes out to $4 a box of 20. A few months ago that is how much I paid online at outdoormarksman.com, but now the price has gone up to $5.50 or $5.19 if you buy 50+ boxes. If I were you I would definately pick up at least one, probably two boxes of AE223 if it were only $99 for 500. It might not last much longer at that price.

from what i've found at the moment, that ain't too bad of a deal. The only things i've found cheaper from my usual sources are wolf and Miwall reloads

Yeah I kind of figured that $99 per 500 rds was a decent deal. I want to pick up another 1000 rds at the GS this comming weekend but I wanted to be sure that it was the best price I could find. I played with the idea of getting some Wolf ammo but the indoor gun ranges here in San Diego won't allow it's use at their facilities. Plus I heard that Wolf ammo is some how bad to use in any weapon. I don't know if this is true or not but I want to be safe.:cool:

sthornwall
12-04-2006, 7:00 PM
Miwall had the cases for $105 I think at the Vallejo gun show. Man, this stuff is getting pricey. I remember not to long ago paying $165 for a case of 3131a which they now want 299 for. I actually felt lucky to get a case of 3131 for 239 at the gun show. They wanted 400 for a case of SA .308. :( I guess we're stuck with these high prices for awhile.

The prices do seem ridiculous but it probably has something to do with the recent influx of OLL purchases in California for .223. Probably the overall ammo price increase in CA is due to people stocking up for a rainy day because of the uncertainy with the DOJ gun regulations. They seem to almost change on a monthly basis or try for that matter.:mad:

zrunr
12-04-2006, 7:10 PM
Yeah I kind of figured that $99 per 500 rds was a decent deal. I want to pick up another 1000 rds at the GS this comming weekend but I wanted to be sure that it was the best price I could find. I played with the idea of getting some Wolf ammo but the indoor gun ranges here in San Diego won't allow it's use at their facilities. Plus I heard that Wolf ammo is some how bad to use in any weapon. I don't know if this is true or not but I want to be safe.:cool:

Is there any reason why Wolf is bad to use in an AR type rifle? If it does wear out the extractor, how many rounds will that take vs a brass case? Is Wolf much harder to clean up after use? It is much cheaper than anything else out their.

sthornwall
12-04-2006, 7:23 PM
Is there any reason why Wolf is bad to use in an AR type rifle? If it does wear out the extractor, how many rounds will that take vs a brass case? Is Wolf much harder to clean up after use? It is much cheaper than anything else out their.

I have heard both of these things about Wolf ammo, wear and tear on the extractor and the tough clean up. This is why I stayed away from it but the price is very appealing. I have never actually fired any to see what the clean up would be like and I have heard people say that Wolf is fine to fire and bad to fire. Too many conflicting answers that I care to take chances with.:confused: I also read on the ammo oracle at AR15.com that...

"Wolf is generally underpowered for a Mil-Spec 5.56mm round and velocity, so critical to wound profile in FMJ rounds, suffers as a result." :eek:

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/

Harbinger
12-04-2006, 7:25 PM

Try it in your rifle. If you get ejection/extraction problems, there's something wrong with your rifle, not the ammo. :p

Wolf is FINE. It's dirtier than most and slightly less accurate, but for the price, it's perfect for plinking.

ETA: I've never seen an extractor 'WEAR' from Wolf ammo, nor have I seen extraction problems with Wolf in ARs. You're talking tool/hardened steel vs. soft, polymer coated steel.

Mike

Joe
12-04-2006, 7:36 PM
For what wolf does to the gun:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

For the accuracy of wolf:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu21.htm

Harbinger
12-04-2006, 7:41 PM
Correct. If WOLF ammunition is mixed with brass cased ammo, bad things can happen, especially in rifles that do not have chrome lined barrels (SU16 and many AR barrels).

So, either shoot ALL WOLF and put up with the accuracy issues while plinking....

OR...

Shoot more expensive, brass-cased ammo only and make fun of your friends that don't.

Honestly, I don't see why there's a debate about Wolf since they switched to Polymer. This topic has been talked to death. Where's my 'beat the dead horse' emoticon?

Mike

sthornwall
12-04-2006, 7:58 PM
Correct. If WOLF ammunition is mixed with brass cased ammo, bad things can happen, especially in rifles that do not have chrome lined barrels (SU16 and many AR barrels).

So, either shoot ALL WOLF and put up with the accuracy issues while plinking....

OR...

Shoot more expensive, brass-cased ammo only and make fun of your friends that don't.

Honestly, I don't see why there's a debate about Wolf since they switched to Polymer. This topic has been talked to death. Where's my 'beat the dead horse' emoticon?

Mike

I agree completly therefore I stay away from it.:)

Here is your 'beat the dead horse' emoticon:D

Whitesmoke
12-04-2006, 8:21 PM
I've had ZERO problems with wolf polymer in .223 or 7.62x39.......

And here the solution to the problem with switching from wolf to brass cased ammo....clean your chamber before you switch or after you fire the weapon each time...problem solved.

I plink with wolf...I like it, and it's cheap. But I have good mil-surp ammo tucked away for those SHTF situations.

Oh....as far as accuracy...My AR shoots WOLF around 4" groups at 100 yards with a red dot sight. I just changed back to iron sights....so we'll have to see how she does. But I'd guess it'll be around 3".

Whitesmoke
12-04-2006, 8:22 PM
oh...that AE price is very good. I'd buy it....

Ratters
12-06-2006, 5:26 PM
The prices do seem ridiculous but it probably has something to do with the recent influx of OLL purchases in California for .223. Probably the overall ammo price increase in CA is due to people stocking up for a rainy day because of the uncertainy with the DOJ gun regulations. They seem to almost change on a monthly basis or try for that matter.:mad:

Nah, prices have been going up for almost two years now. I think the OLL situation had an effect on the availability of parts kits and uppers, but for ammo there are other things like transportation costs and raw material costs that have made big jumps over the last two years. The end of the Federal AWB may play a small part but I think it's mostly the war reducing supply leading to panic buying by gun nuts all over the country. ;)

Aluisious
12-06-2006, 5:27 PM
Sounds good to me, I was afraid it was home-brewed ammo. Don't buy that stuff.

randy
12-07-2006, 3:56 AM
I've had ZERO problems with wolf polymer in .223 or 7.62x39.......

And here the solution to the problem with switching from wolf to brass cased ammo....clean your chamber before you switch or after you fire the weapon each time...problem solved.

I plink with wolf...I like it, and it's cheap. But I have good mil-surp ammo tucked away for those SHTF situations.

Oh....as far as accuracy...My AR shoots WOLF around 4" groups at 100 yards with a red dot sight. I just changed back to iron sights....so we'll have to see how she does. But I'd guess it'll be around 3".

4 moa is terrible that would be 12" at 300 yds how can that be fun?

Whitesmoke
12-07-2006, 4:52 AM
4 moa is terrible that would be 12" at 300 yds how can that be fun?

lol...it's not that great...but not that bad for a cheap red dot sight offhand (I've never benched my AR yet). Like I said...my good ammo is all milsurp...but I don't like to waste it. Plus, I can still hit a bad guy at 300 yards with a rifle that is 4 MOA.

My experience is that most mil-surp is not that much better than that..
..2-3 MOA at best.

My M1a loaded shoots 2.5 MOA with aussie surplus (which I am almost out of..:( ) off a bench. Federal GMM shoots about 1-1.25 MOA out of the same rifle. My handloads with 175gr or 168 gr SMK's in the same rifle do 1/2-3/4 MOA :eek:. I know thats hard to believe...but it's true.;)

But it's still fun to have cheap plinking ammo.....IMHO.

Mr. Beretta
12-10-2006, 4:28 PM
FYI

CPE on El Cajon Blvd. have cases (500 rds.) of XM193 for $159 + tax.

American Shooting Range on Ruffin Rd. has the same cases for $149 + tax.

14 months ago, I was buying these for $94 a case. Prices are going thru the roof & I don't think it's ever going get any cheaper. My humble .02.

JPglee1
12-10-2006, 4:37 PM
I will never use WOLF in anything but combloc weapons again.

All the NATO caliber ammo and even some of the 762x39 is getting sketchy as to consistency and safety.

Ive had lots of pierced/blown out primers in both .308 and x39 and RSSSLVR had a case head split and blow his mag clean out the bottom of the rifle using WOLF that I told him to shoot with, it was green cased stuff not the steel cased, which is what has USUALLY been giving us fits.... I have no confidence in WOLF .308 anymore.

With the AR-15 upper and lower being aluminum, I'm not really looking forward to a KB like RSSSLVR had, in an AR-15... especially since I end up getting my hand REAL close to the magwell all the time.

I'll stick with American Eagle (which is lake city basically) or LC.

JP

naimad
12-10-2006, 5:14 PM
FYI

CPE on El Cajon Blvd. have cases (500 rds.) of XM193 for $159 + tax.

American Shooting Range on Ruffin Rd. has the same cases for $149 + tax.

14 months ago, I was buying these for $94 a case. Prices are going thru the roof & I don't think it's ever going get any cheaper. My humble .02.

cpe said it will be $179.00 for 500 rds xm193 next week and will keep going up. the ammo dist says in the near future it wont be the price you will be worried about it will be finding the ammo that is coming from a guy who sells ammo for a living so take it for what its worth but the way its been going i wouldnt be suprised. they had 1560 rds of nato spec not ss109 south american 223 looked clean dont know manufacture $390.00+tax

JPglee1
12-10-2006, 5:27 PM
cpe said it will be $179.00 for 500 rds xm193 next week and will keep going up. the ammo dist says in the near future it wont be the price you will be worried about it will be finding the ammo that is coming from a guy who sells ammo for a living so take it for what its worth but the way its been going i wouldnt be suprised. they had 1560 rds of nato spec soth american 223 looked clean dont know manufacture $390.00+tax

I got about 250rds of ammo in trade recently that is SS109 spec surplus in a plastic ammo "can"

It say "KORG 92" on the headstamp and has flame annealed necks (looks cool, haha) the bullets do indeed have penetrators per SS109 specs.

IT seems to operate my XM and M4 upper 100% reliably.

WHat kinda ammo is it, and where do we get more? :D

J