PDA

View Full Version : firing pin retaining pin

BobbyZ
05-17-2011, 2:11 PM
I am almost finished with my AR build. I have a new BCG. I figured I should break it down and lube it. Is the firing pin retaining pin reusable or do I need to by replacements?
Thanks for any info.

UserM4
05-17-2011, 2:11 PM
reusable

BobbyZ
05-17-2011, 2:16 PM
nice
thanks

Patrick Aherne
05-17-2011, 2:18 PM
Reusable. But, next time you make a Brownells order, pick up a five pack to have spares and save on shipping!

Full Clip
05-17-2011, 2:21 PM
Always have extras in your range kit. Cheap yet essential.

BobbyZ
05-17-2011, 2:52 PM
So I was following this set of instructions:
http://www.varminthunters.com/ar15tech/ar15greasepoints.html

2 Questions:
Are these thorough instructions?
In the first step I put gun GREASE on the bolt. Did I really screw up and need to clean and use oil instead?

Thanks.

dieselpower
05-17-2011, 3:17 PM
Jesus...total failure to understand grease on that link. He's got grease in areas that see no surface contact and in other areas that get oil from other places... Why the hell is he putting grease on the Charging Handle dog ears????? They are there to stop the CH from pulling out of the lower wtf do they need grease. He's got the entire upper surface of the CH greased too... my god since when are you holding your rifle upside down and using the charging handle... NOT once does he show grease on the INSIDE of the CH where the BCG's Gas key rides on every dam shot...

IGNORE the website. I don't need to see anymore then that to tell me that guy has a complete lack of understanding on how the firearm is used...I am sure he has an awesome set of tools and firearms...

Download and print out my TM9 links. They are 100% all you need to know.

for those who disabled sig lines due to the crazy stuff now seen in sig lines...
ARMY TM9-1005-319-10, M16 operation manual. (http://larcpistolandrifleclub.com/pdfs/army_tm_9_1005_319_10.pdf)<--- Every AR15 owners needs this
ARMY TM9-1005-319-23 M16 Family advance maintenance manual (http://www.ar15armory.com/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf) <-- a must read for all.

FeuerFrei
05-17-2011, 3:17 PM
Many people use grease on the BCG and specifically the bolt body, top of lugs, rings.
Never on the bolt face.
I use high temp wheel bearing grease and Mobile 1 synthetic oil on my AR's that need it.
If you have oil use it.
Lots of threads here on lube for AR rifles.
FP retaining pins get lost. Buy extras.

BobbyZ
05-17-2011, 3:23 PM
@FeuerFrei Thanks, I have grease and oil. Think i'll follow diesel power's advice also.

@Dieselpower...What he heck is a TM9 Link?

BobbyZ
05-17-2011, 3:34 PM
Sorry. Didn't see the links below your post. Thanks D

killshot44
05-17-2011, 3:46 PM
@Dieselpower...What he heck is a TM9?

Training Manual 9

One area often overlooked is the bolt lugs. Always place some lubricant on the "back" of the lugs. Diesel's links are spot on.

My 'smith recommends something called Phil's Tenacious Oil - like a 90wt gear oil - sold in high-end bicycle shops. Works great and doesn't bake.

BobbyZ
05-17-2011, 3:58 PM
So I now have grease on the bolt. Frie said thats fine. What's the verdict?
I should go get some solvent and clean the whole thing up and start fresh?
I should just shoot it?
I read the TM9 and it's well lubed. I'm just worried grease and any factory oil could coagulate for lack of a better description.

mlevans66
05-17-2011, 4:10 PM
Alway have extras of the small parts and there's a reason it's called a "Grease Gun".

dieselpower
05-17-2011, 4:15 PM
Training Manual 9

One area often overlooked is the bolt lugs. Always place some lubricant on the "back" of the lugs. Diesel's links are spot on.

My 'smith recommends something called Phil's Tenacious Oil - like a 90wt gear oil - sold in high-end bicycle shops. Works great and doesn't bake.

I have heard that before too. I need to check that stuff out.

dieselpower
05-17-2011, 4:16 PM
So I now have grease on the bolt. Frie said thats fine. What's the verdict?
I should go get some solvent and clean the whole thing up and start fresh?
I should just shoot it?
I read the TM9 and it's well lubed. I'm just worried grease and any factory oil could coagulate for lack of a better description.

It will... there is nothing you can do about it. Just let nature take its course and clean the Bolt face off.

BobbyZ
05-17-2011, 4:34 PM
cool. I never got any on the bolt face. Thanks yall

chesterthehero
05-17-2011, 4:36 PM
at some point you will put that pin in crooked and without thinking about it you will try to push it into place not noticing that it has somehow by magic expanded slightly and now will not fit through the other side without the use of tweezers, fishing line and 3 hours of your time...