PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a Phantom Muzzle Brake to Barrel...

pnkssbtz
12-04-2006, 1:21 PM
Ok, so I bought a phantom muzzle brake and a 16" barrel (pre-assembled with hand guards and upper) from CWS at the costa mesa gun show.

I was looking at the instructions for the brake and noted it had a crush washer.

I've never installed a brake or worked with a crush washer... are there any tricks?

I hand tightened the brake with the crush washer in the orientation described in the instructions and I cannot for the life of me get the brake to tighten down any further.

Are there any tricks / tips for this?

Do I need to lock it in an action vise?

I am weary of gripping it by the rails or barrel for torque so I have only been gripping the upper receiver...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Blacktail 8541
12-04-2006, 1:31 PM
No real tricks, it just takes a little force for it to start collapseing and to get the proper timeing. You should be useing a vise to hold the barrel securly.

Edit to add: Yes you should be putting the barrel itself in padded vise jaws, leather works real well if you do not have vise jaws for your barrel. Do not try to put the upper in an action block to do this.

pklin1297
12-04-2006, 1:36 PM
I too have installed a Phantom Break on my barrel... The deal with the crush washer is that you tighten the break and it will "crush" or "squeez" the washer and you keep going until you have indexed the break to the position indicated. You will need to mount the barrel in a barrel vise instead of the receiver block vise, since the force of installing that break will torque the receiver/barrel connection too much and possibly cause damage.
What I ended up doing was sand one side of the crush washer down enough to get me close to full index, then torque the break a little bit to get it right, then applied a bit of thread lock. The other recommended method is to use a peel washer or lock washer.

pnkssbtz
12-04-2006, 1:47 PM
Thanks alot! just ordered a barrel vise =)

I figure I should get one anyways since I plan to build more in the future.

12-06-2006, 6:53 PM
I was a little worried when I installed mine. I just kept applying gradual pressure and it eventually lined up perfect.

pnkssbtz
12-13-2006, 3:50 PM
I was worried I would start stripping the threads with the amount of torque I was applying to index the brake.

Even though I wrapped the barrel with cloth, I still scratched it some how via the vise...

Oh well, its very faint.

Prc329
12-13-2006, 3:56 PM
I went ahead and bought an action block. I felt a lot more comfortable putting on my phantom and not damaging my upper or barrel.

pnkssbtz
12-13-2006, 4:15 PM
I bought both an action block and a barrel vise, though using an action block vs. a barrel vise may put stress on the barrel/upper receiver area and damage that area. I know I put a LOT of force in the brake to get it on.

mltrading
12-13-2006, 4:35 PM
In this case, a pair of barrel vise is more suitable.

Check YHM's installation instruction HERE (http://yhm.net/store/media/Comps.pdf).

shark92651
12-13-2006, 4:47 PM
I just hand tightened mine and checked that the part that needs to align to the ground was at the 4 o'clock position. If not, I filed down the washer a bit and kept trying until aligned at 4 o'clock. Once at 4 o'clock, I just snugged it down with a wrench. I didn't bother with a block, just held the rifle between my legs. It hasn't come lose so I assume it is tight enough.

pnkssbtz
12-13-2006, 4:56 PM
I just hand tightened mine and checked that the part that needs to align to the ground was at the 4 o'clock position. If not, I filed down the washer a bit and kept trying until aligned at 4 o'clock. Once at 4 o'clock, I just snugged it down with a wrench. I didn't bother with a block, just held the rifle between my legs. It hasn't come lose so I assume it is tight enough.
:eek: :eek:

Dang, I tried and could get maybe 1/8" of a turn on it!

NwG
12-14-2006, 1:07 AM
Don't torque down a flash hider or muzle break with the upper in an action block... You can really cause a good deal of damage to the upper...

No need to buy a barrel block. Get yourself two peices of wood and clamp them togeather.. Next, bore a hole through the wood just smaller than the barrel diameter.. Now you have a barrel block! Leather or leather coated with rosin make a good surface to stop the barrel from turning in the block.

mltrading
12-14-2006, 9:46 AM
Don't torque down a flash hider or muzle break with the upper in an action block... You can really cause a good deal of damage to the upper...

No need to buy a barrel block. Get yourself two peices of wood and clamp them togeather.. Next, bore a hole through the wood just smaller than the barrel diameter.. Now you have a barrel block! Leather or leather coated with rosin make a good surface to stop the barrel from turning in the block.

It's a nice idea to DIY at low cost. But what if you need to work on different barrels with different OD? A barrel vise would be better.:)

My $.02

Fjold
12-14-2006, 11:29 AM
It's a nice idea to DIY at low cost. But what if you need to work on different barrels with different OD? A barrel vise would be better.:)

My $.02

Take two more hardwood blocks and drill another larger hole through them. Pretty soon you will have three or four sets that will fit 90% of the barrels.

Even barrel vices have different sized inserts for different profile barrels.

kap
12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
What is the proper indexing for this stag muzzle break?

I have it indexed so the ports are on the sides.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/images/stagcomp.jpg

Pokey
12-14-2006, 12:59 PM
What is the proper indexing for this stag muzzle break?

I have it indexed so the ports are on the sides.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/images/stagcomp.jpg

Sounds like you have it right (unless your goal is being blinded by dust and muzzle flash.... ):D :D

kap
12-14-2006, 3:16 PM
I personally don't want to be blinded and it seemed correctly indexed, but you never know what the DOJ has in mind based on their definition of what is a muzzle break or a flash hider.