PDA

View Full Version : Faster reload .. AR with BB or SKS with stripper clips?

Lead Waster
05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Just for fun I'd like to hear if you guys think an AR-15 with a bullet button can be reloaded (with a full 10 rnd mag) faster or slower than an SKS with a stripper clip? Discuss!

I vote SKS with stripper clips because you don't have to fiddle with the BB, then pull out the old magazine, and slap a new one in. With the SKS, you just put the clip on and push the rounds down...assuming you line the clip up properly!

(I've not tried it myself)

dieselpower
05-17-2011, 12:28 PM
I can load an SKS just as fast as you can load a AR15... with a detachable magazine.

Its one fluid motion in an SKS....same as loading a magazine.

BB takes like 1 second longer...oh my thats a long time...LOL get real...

Full Clip
05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I'd bet on the SKS.

mif_slim
05-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I vote for BB.

Here's a video of loading a Mosin, its not fast, but could be faster:
N7aMWRoVv-g

and here is a video loading a AR with BB:
HEr_eooLAnk

Fadedline
05-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Depends on which one you have more practice with.

sd_shooter
05-17-2011, 12:56 PM
This guy is pretty fast with his SKS Bullpup, start watching about half way:
fTVV59EvK24

ChrisO
05-17-2011, 1:00 PM
For me it's a BB AR. I'm a lefty so a reload with a bullet button is really easy for me.

nrakid88
05-17-2011, 1:10 PM
I'll take a slower reload with better accuracy and more range with better bullet selection anyday.

Lead Waster
05-17-2011, 1:12 PM
About the top video with the mosin - yeah that lefty bold maneuver is tough. I shoot left, but from a bench, I just use my right hand to move the bolt. Reminds me of the sniper in Saving Private Ryan.

Cyc Wid It
05-17-2011, 4:08 PM
Thordo BB tool

2JaotF-n7gI

tacgunner530
05-17-2011, 4:13 PM
Thordo BB tool

2JaotF-n7gI

after i saw this vid a while back i had to get some of these. they seem to be the best solution for mag changes with these idiotic bullet buttons. highly recommend them!

tomd1584
05-17-2011, 4:43 PM
I'm with Chris O. As a lefty, the Ultimate bullet button tool + a Redi-mag makes mag changes about as fast as you can get with a BB.

SuperSet
05-17-2011, 5:16 PM
Any reason why you're not going featureless?

Cyc Wid It
05-17-2011, 5:44 PM
Any reason why you're not going featureless?

0 reason w/o high caps.

7.62 Charlie
05-17-2011, 5:49 PM
Thordo BB tool

2JaotF-n7gI

Is that an airsoft gun?

Cyc Wid It
05-17-2011, 6:09 PM
Don't think so, not that it affects the way it functions.

iskra31
05-17-2011, 6:10 PM
anyone here use G pik's?

c1Rp7oNluoc

tacgunner530
05-18-2011, 8:14 AM
anyone here use G pik's?

c1Rp7oNluoc

hmmm, now thats a good idea too. might have to pick a few of these up.

mif_slim
05-18-2011, 9:09 AM
I hardly like to do this but... I "heard" the Gpik gets in the way when transitioning to pistols? Anyone experiance this?

Scott Connors
05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
This is a question of manipulation, not of any inherent physical advantage that either system has. Someone who has trained consistently to charge his SKS with stripper clips can probably get them back into the fight quicker than a newbie trying to hit the BB detent under pressure, and of course the reverse is also true. Given two shooters of equal skill and proficiency on their respective platforms, I'd have to say: it doesn't really matter, unless you're shooting a timed match.

iskra31
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
I just took a carbine class last Tuesday with my BB AR. I would have to say yes and no.
Yes because there's something on your middle finger and makes it a little awkward when gripping your pistol.
No because if you can get over the awkward feel while shooting a pistol with it on, its a great tool for mag changes with a BB AR.
just my .02

I hardly like to do this but... I "heard" the Gpik gets in the way when transitioning to pistols? Anyone experiance this?

dieselpower
05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I had a small tool in a glove finger tip. It was fine for a while, but as the day increased the tool always got in the way with other things. It was annoying at best and interfered with critical tasks at the worse.

Something attached to your finger at the range, hunting or plinking is great. You can slip it on and off at will, take you time...blah blah blah. In a stressful situation where finger manipulation os critical you do not want that tool there.

I don't know what CC you went to, but if you are not spending time clearing malfunctions on BOTH firearms, reloading magazines that run dry, dressing wounds to yourself and team-mates, opening complex locks and clearing barriers you are just training to fire a gun.

I have ditched my glove tool and finger ring tool in favor of a tool mounted to the magazine. As long as you have an extra magazine you have a tool. If you are ditching each magazine and not dropping them in a dump-pouch or saving them, a small tool kept on a lanyard wrapped up for the last magazine to be reloaded manually is all it takes.

Any one dropping magazine on the ground, to be picked up later is working toward an end result of kill or be killed. Either you will win or you will die trying. There will be time to go get those magazines or you will be dead. Now Force Protection SOP dictates you will be clearing an area, buying time with suppressive fire, or dropping threats. When you are done, you only have 1 magazine left. Then you reload it with clips in a stash bag, pants pocket and its a last ditch effort. With those last 3 clips (1 clip with a ten rd magazine) you store a tool. Hell one of the last rounds on the clip is all you need.

nrakid88
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
0 reason w/o high caps.

1 reason is faster reloads. And with a hammer head, I bet it wouldn't be that bad.

762.DEFENSE
05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Idk, but I can load my SKS pretty fast compared to my AR.

pyro3k2
05-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Skip to 2:20 for the reload. I know its a mosin but its still a stripper clip fed weapon.
Ss4eaT8_Btk

tacticalcity
05-18-2011, 11:46 AM
anyone here use G pik's?

I keep a stash of them in my rifle bag. They are not a perfect solution, as they can fall off your hand during training, but they work.

I do a lot of carbine training out of state. So I like having a bullet button equiped AR over a featureless because with a few twists it transforms into a normal rifle. I don't have to remove any parts. While inside California, I tighten it down and obey the law. To me the Gpik is a less awkward soltion than a featureless rifle, which I dislike for many reasons. To each their own.

I do not own an SKS so I can't answer the OPs question. I would assume that so long as you have not lost your tool the BB AR would be faster.

Don29palms
05-18-2011, 1:18 PM
I have a glove with a rivot in the middle finger and I can change magazine with a bullet button almost as fast as a normal mag release.