PDA

View Full Version : Safe required for OLLs/long guns?

grywlfbg
12-04-2006, 1:17 PM
All,

I know the answer but I have a strange story. A newbie (to OLL's) friend of mine went to pick up his OLL at SJGE over the wkend and he called to say they made him sign some kind of form in which he stated he has a safe in which to store his rifle. WTF? I didn't think you had to lock up long guns? Sure it's a good idea but it's not a requirement?

He has a small safe for his handguns so he went ahead and signed the form. However I don't have a safe - I just have trigger locks for my pistols and I'm picking up my lower soon.

Can I just tell them I'm not signing such a form?

xenophobe
12-04-2006, 1:18 PM
Off list lowers require the purchase of a trigger/cable lock or a completed safe affidavit form just like any long gun or handgun in the state of California...

Yes, you don't have to sign the form if you purchase a cable lock or trigger lock, or bring in a lock with a receipt showing you purchased it within the last 30 days.

And it's not required that you actually lock the firearm, just that you take delivery of a firearm with one.

Aluisious
12-04-2006, 1:19 PM
Weird, I got my OLL at SJGE only a few months ago and had to sign no such form.

pnkssbtz
12-04-2006, 1:26 PM
The law states, (as I recall) that any firearm purchase/transaction requires the weapon to come with a locking mechanism.

If no locking mechanism accompanies the firearm, then you must purchase one, or show you have purchased one (bringing proof of receipt dated no more than 30 days prior to transaction.)

You do NOT have to purchase or provided a recently purchased locking mechanism if you have a safe.

To prove you have a safe, you have to provide a brand model and serial # for the safe. (Don't remember if you need the serial #...)

Prc329
12-04-2006, 1:35 PM
That is what I had to do with all my long guns, except my 870 since it has the built in lock. As long as the gun comes with one, you buy one, or have a safe you are fine. All I had to do for my safe affidavit was tell them the maker and model number. Did not need a serial number. Hell I forgot the model number, all I told them was it holds 16 gun. The salesmen said right down Sentry 16 gun. That was it.

From my understanding the law did change regarding handguns though. A buddy and I transfered a 686 and they made him buy a lock (Turners). The salesmen stated that last week the federal law changed making a lock mandatory with all handgun sales or transfers. Even though the gun can used with a lock they still made him buy one, stating the lock does not transfer :rolleyes:

grywlfbg
12-04-2006, 2:15 PM
Ah, ok. Didn't know about that quirk.

Thanks for the quick responses all!

Chris

pnkssbtz
12-04-2006, 2:44 PM
Even though the gun came used with a lock they still made him buy one, stating the lock does not transfer :rolleyes:

I think that is just turners way of making a quick buck.

HK pistols, for instance, come from the factory with a lock... does that mean you have to buy a second lock if you buy a HK pistol from them, or transfer through them? :p

12-04-2006, 2:48 PM
It does if the lock is not California compliant.

Prc329
12-04-2006, 3:15 PM
I think that is just turners way of making a quick buck.

HK pistols, for instance, come from the factory with a lock... does that mean you have to buy a second lock if you buy a HK pistol from them, or transfer through them? :p

My bad, typing and didn't proof read :)

Well the 686 came with a lock so buying it new you are fine. But since it is used they claimed the lock did not transfer with the gun so he had to buy a new one.

Fjold
12-04-2006, 5:42 PM

If the requirement is from the BATF what does CA compliance have to do with it?

The safe affidavit should work for the CA compliance and an H&K, or Steyr, etc. lock should work for the federal compliance.

M. Sage
12-04-2006, 8:13 PM

Lol @ CA compliant locks. They're crap.

Those locks make Ok targets.

fairfaxjim
12-05-2006, 7:32 AM
The simple answer is: Buy a gun, buy a lock unless you own a safe either must be CA DOJ approved. From CA DOJ Firearms website:

Effective January 1, 2002, no firearm may be sold, transferred, or manufactured within California unless that firearm is accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety device (California Penal Code section 12087, et seq).
The safety device requirement does not apply to the following:
Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model name of the device.
The commerce of any firearm defined as an "antique firearm" pursuant to federal law.
The commerce of any firearm intended to be used by a salaried, full-time peace officer for law enforcement purposes.
Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe. Ownership may be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer: 1) A receipt indicating purchase of, or an affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ regulations.

Japedo
12-05-2006, 9:31 PM
I was at metroshot today and pat kudo said the federal doj is doing away with the safe affidavit, all sales will require a lock. I havent seen any kind of hardcopy proof. I don't have a safe and they make a killing on locks when I go in there, I don't know if he was just bsing