PDA

View Full Version : 22 high cap mag laws

Dr. Pepper
05-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Okay, I read part of the statute on California magazine laws, and I was completely unclear as to what the deal was with 22 caliber rifles. Can anyone help me understand what they mean, and if I can have a 25 round magazine for my Marlin Model 795?

Thanks,

Lee

Merc1138
05-17-2011, 12:05 PM
The only exemption is indeed for 22 caliber rimfire rifles with a tubular magazine, like the Marlin 60.

You can't sell, expose for sale, manufacture, import, etc.(meaning no one can sell one to you) a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds for your Marlin 795.

Dr. Pepper
05-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted to know. Well, at least I am not missing out on anything too great; those mags are kinda s***y anyway.

bohoki
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
so far i'm not aware of any laws that say you cannot have a high capacity rimfire magazine

i am aware of a certain "use" issue but its fairly rare

a fixed large capacity magazine on a pistol

rromeo
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Once again, there is not a law that says you can't have large capacity rimfire magazines. There is a law that you cannot sell, give, import, manufacture etc.

Merc1138
05-17-2011, 1:17 PM
so far i'm not aware of any laws that say you cannot have a high capacity rimfire magazine

i am aware of a certain "use" issue but its fairly rare

a fixed large capacity magazine on a pistol

No one ever said you couldn't have one. Like I said, the problem is that no one can sell one to you.

CA penal code section 12020 a2
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

It does not differentiate between centerfire and rimfire magazines. The only exemptions to 12020a2(other than LEO, armored car companies, etc.) are at the very bottom of 12020
(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds. (B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. (C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm. (d) Knives carried in sheaths which are worn openly suspended from the waist of the wearer are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

Because of that bolded portion, that is why you can buy a Marlin 60 or other similar semi-auto tube fed firearm that can hold more than 10 rounds(as long as it's .22 caliber).

caoboy
05-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Okay, I read part of the statute on California magazine laws, and I was completely unclear as to what the deal was with 22 caliber rifles. Can anyone help me understand what they mean, and if I can have a 25 round magazine for my Marlin Model 795?

Thanks,

Lee

Do they make those for the 795 yet here in the States?

davek8s
05-18-2011, 8:45 AM

Thanks,

Lee

If you owned the hi cap mags before 1/1/2000 then go ahead and use them all you want. I have a box of hi caps for guns I still haven't bought. I went on a buying spree in 1999. No law says you can't use them, unless your rifle has a bullet button. Then its 10 rounds only, But rim fires don't need a BB.

afcbasser
05-24-2011, 5:41 PM
If you owned the hi cap mags before 1/1/2000 then go ahead and use them all you want. I have a box of hi caps for guns I still haven't bought. I went on a buying spree in 1999. No law says you can't use them, unless your rifle has a bullet button. Then its 10 rounds only, But rim fires don't need a BB.

that's awesome.

afcbasser
05-24-2011, 5:56 PM
Quote:
(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds. (B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. (C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm. (d) Knives carried in sheaths which are worn openly suspended from the waist of the wearer are not concealed within the meaning of this section."

does this mean you could apply this to centerfire semi-autos chambered in .223 rem, .222 rem (mag), 22-250, .223 wssm, and 220 swift if they had tube mags and were loaded with something like hornady flextip bullets to avoid sympathetic firing?

ke6guj
05-24-2011, 5:58 PM
Quote:
(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds. (B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. (C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm. (d) Knives carried in sheaths which are worn openly suspended from the waist of the wearer are not concealed within the meaning of this section."does this mean you could apply this to centerfire semi-autos chambered in .223 rem, .222 rem (mag), 22-250, .223 wssm, and 220 swift if they had tube mags and were loaded with something like hornady flextip bullets to avoid sympathetic firing?

don't see why it wouldn't.

G1500
05-24-2011, 8:56 PM
But rim fires don't need a BB.

Unless it is a pistol with the magazine outside the grip.

Dr. Pepper
05-24-2011, 9:20 PM

I don't know where they make them, but I have seen them on the inter-nets. I wasn't particularly interested in them anyway, because they look like those cheap 25 rounders for the 10-22.

CHS
05-24-2011, 9:25 PM

If the 795 uses the same mags as the Model 70, then I have a 15rd mag.

So yes, someone, at some point, made a "large-capacity" mag for them :)

CHS
05-24-2011, 9:26 PM
I don't know where they make them, but I have seen them on the inter-nets. I wasn't particularly interested in them anyway, because they look like those cheap 25 rounders for the 10-22.

I've got a boatload of butler creek 25rd magazines for the 10/22. They aren't "cheap". They're actually great magazines.