PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Entering Law Enforcement Question

SPGuy
05-17-2011, 10:51 AM
I have done some reading and some soul searching and feel drawn to law enforcement. I have done a lot of research and was interested in joining the LA Port Police which I know at the moment has a freeze on hiring. I have gone through the process and am applying for Armed Security and was wondering if this might help me when they do open up hiring again. Also would it be suggested or not to try to get into an Academy and through the POST before I apply or should I wait till they are hiring again?

Thank you for the help,
Brett

Tacit Blue
05-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Hello,

read through my previous post's and read the sticky made. This topic comes up at least 3-4 times a week. Please use the search function.

SPGuy
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Hello,

read through my previous post's and read the sticky made. This topic comes up at least 3-4 times a week. Please use the search function.

Tacit Blue,

I did indeed read the sticky above and read through a couple of pages on the search to be honest but did not find anything about my question with the Academy i asked above, I will go through them again however.

The sticky above did not answer that question either though it did answer a couple other questions I had that I did not ask thanks to that very useful sticky...I am assuming you are speaking of the sticky of FAQ's on becoming a Police Officer.

EDIT: I apologize I just found your post on the other gentleman's post I read yesterday but did not read today so did not see your posting about the academy

Tacit Blue
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Tacit Blue,

I did indeed read the sticky above and read through a couple of pages on the search to be honest but did not find anything about my question with the Academy i asked above, I will go through them again however.

The sticky above did not answer that question either though it did answer a couple other questions I had that I did not ask thanks to that very useful sticky...I am assuming you are speaking of the sticky of FAQ's on becoming a Police Officer.

EDIT: I apologize I just found your post on the other gentleman's post I read yesterday but did not read today so did not see your posting about the academy

To answer your question. Armed Security would look good on a application, since you've demonstrated the ability to handle a firearm. Not only in terms of safety and training, but on a psychological level as well.

I would say self sponsor at a Regional Academy in your area, or go through a extended format academy. Then after a month start sending out applications, and see who will hire you. I believe this route would be better than being hired on, for that settling in period of the academy. As a precautionary measure for yourself and your reputation. In the event that anything were to happen, it doesn't go on file that you were DQ'd as a sponsor recruit. For example, i knew this recruit blonde/female. She was sponsored by a small agency, that prides themselves on being well funded, and exclusive. She had a free ride through the academy, she blew out her knee. I'm not sure if their willing to give her a 2nd chance or not and send her back. But she was chosen out of 300 applicants that applied and she got medically DQ'd. Not saying it will happen to you, but those are the unexpected things that could happen rather. it also happened to another sponsored guy i knew. So gender doesn't mean anything, you're all treated equally in terms of PT.

Others may disagree with me, but thats my train of thought on the subject.

Look into student grants, through financial aid to make the academy less expensive for yourself also. At least you'll have some money in your pocket while attending, and be able to live somewhat like a sponsored recruit.

Best of luck, Have anymore questions go ahead and PM me.

Jonathan Doe
05-17-2011, 7:03 PM
I always recommend a larger agency, because you will have more options for assignments. Smaller agencies have less options and you may be stuck in one assignment for a long time.

I have had good assgnments during my 25 years. Jail, patrol, harbor operations, bike patrol, undercover for Vice Bureau, on loan to Homicide Bureau, AOT, weapons training, now at the lab. I enjoyed all of it.

skinlikewinter
05-31-2011, 12:52 AM
If your not planning on applying at a very large department then you should probably sponsor yourself through the modular academy at minimum as post training will certainly increase your chances of getting a job. Its a tough job market right now, might as well do everything you can to increase your chances

AR15Kimo
06-02-2011, 6:37 AM
Try getting a degree if you don't already have one. Practice your report writing as well.

I'm currently in module level 2.

Good luck! It's a tough process.

Join Officer.com

Much better information and help than calguns

biochembruin
06-02-2011, 8:38 AM
Port Police are trained at the Los Angeles Police Academy with LAPD and a few other Los Angeles departments. I'm unaware whether or not Port Police is hiring, but LAPD is. An option for you might be to get hired on by LAPD, go through the academy, and lateral to Port Police at some point. If you can do that, it would be a more desirable option than taking a job as a security officer, or self sponsoring through an academy. Of course, you may want to take the security job in the interim while you go though the hiring process.

As others have said, finishing college will go a long way to helping you throughout your career, not just at the hiring point.

BoJackUSMC
06-02-2011, 8:41 AM
I been told by my friend who was in the hiring process of LAPD, but he received a letter from them about not having enough money to hire more applicants.

Is LAPD hiring now??

biochembruin
06-02-2011, 8:52 AM
Yes, LAPD is still hiring to keep up with attrition. It's not like it used to be where they had classes of 100+ recruits starting every month. They have smaller classes (40 or so recruits) about every other month. But they are still running classes through the academy.

BigDogatPlay
06-02-2011, 11:04 AM
You would be well served by putting yourself through a regional academy for several reasons:

1) Knowledge
2) Networking
3) Helping form the decision as to whether it really is the right career path for you

Concurrently you really should be pursuing a college degree, if you don't already have one. Having one can only help you down the road, both in the business and after you eventually leave it as we all must do at some point.

Armed security can be both a plus and a minus. Be very selective of who it is you go to work for. A company that has a less than positive reputation with LEA in the area should be avoided IMO lest you be painted with that reputation by association.

It's a very tough job market out there. City of San Jose is the latest on the layoff bandwagon; they are trying to find a way to not lay off 165 peace officer positions. Every guy who is already trained and experienced that gets laid off is another roadblock in front a first time hire. In this climate the OP is going to have to be better, smarter and faster (to borrow a term) than all the other candidates in the pool.

ke6guj
06-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I always recommend a larger agency, because you will have more options for assignments. Smaller agencies have less options and you may be stuck in one assignment for a long time.
.yup, I've heard that from CHP and SO friends of mine that working for a large agency is nice, even if they might be able to make more money at a smaller one. Basically, if you work for a small agency and run into a personality problem with a co-worker or supervisor, you are stuck if there isn't anywhere you can transfer to. You'd have to look for another job at a different LEA is you really wanted a "transfer". And you'd probably lose your seniority as a new hire. But with a large agency like CHP or the Sheriff's Office, you if you have an issue in one station, you can always request a transfer another station and not lose your seniority.

retired
06-02-2011, 3:46 PM
But with a large agency like CHP or the Sheriff's Office, you if you have an issue in one station, you can always request a transfer another station and not lose your seniority.

One more thing re the above: With the Sheriff's Dept., not only can you transfer to a different station, you can transfer to a completely different unit.

There is Custody, Transportation, Courts, TSB ( that would be the Metrolink deputies) and many others. There are plenty of places to go.:)

Heck, my former dept. is so large, there were guys from my academy class that I never saw again after graduation. They lived either in the West end of LA County or even Ventura County and worked the jails by Magic Mtn., then patrol at that end. I worked MCJ in LA and then the East end stations.

bluestaterebel
06-02-2011, 6:22 PM
An option for you might be to get hired on by LAPD, go through the academy, and lateral to Port Police at some point.

I have never heard of anyone lateraling to Port Police from LAPD. I guess anything is possible.