PDA

View Full Version : .22 hicap mags/bb

sendithit
05-17-2011, 9:57 AM
Please educate me and help me fully understand Calif. Firearms Laws as it pertains to. 22 rifles, bb, mags

1) AR-platform, w/o bb, 10rd mag
Legal or not legal?

2) AR-platform, w/bb, 10rd mag
Legal or not legal

3) AR-platform, w/o bb, >10rd mag
Legal or not legal

4) AR-platform, w/bb, >10rd mag
Legal or not legal

5) Non-AR platform, >10rd mag
Legal or not legal

I've reviewed the flowchart, but I'm not sure and need to be clearer about it.

My desktop/laptop are down and searching with my iphone has been problematic otherwise I'm almost sure I could've found the answers myself...and I want to know before I go shooting sometime today.

Thanks for your help!

MaHoTex
05-17-2011, 10:00 AM
- 22 does not need a BB.
- Any legally acquired magazine is legal to use.
- AR platform is just fine, same rules mentioned above apply.

Chris J
05-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Please educate me and help me fully understand Calif. Firearms Laws as it pertains to. 22 rifles, bb, mags

1) AR-platform, w/o bb, 10rd mag
Legal or not legal?
Legal

2) AR-platform, w/bb, 10rd mag
Legal or not legal
Legal

3) AR-platform, w/o bb, >10rd mag
Legal or not legal
Not legal

4) AR-platform, w/bb, >10rd mag
Legal or not legal
Not legal

5) Non-AR platform, >10rd mag Legal or not legal
Not legal

The feature that matters is capacity: not over 10 rounds. Other features don't matter. Rimfires are not considered AW regardless of features, but the 10 round capacity limit applies to all firearms unless the magazines date from before the limitation was imposed. (2000 or so?)

sendithit
05-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Thank you for the prompt replies. How does a person in Calif "legally acquire" a hicap (>10rd) mag and when could it ever be "legal to use" in Calif?

I know LEOs can legally acquire >10rd mags but its usually work-related ie. 9mm, .38, .357, .40, .45, .223,
.308. I know of no LEAs out there who equip their LEOs with .22s...so....other than LEOs being exempt from legally purchasing hicap mags >10rds, how would joe citizen be able to legally purchase any .22 hicap mags in sunny funny Calif?

Or am I over- thinking this?

MaHoTex
05-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Legal

Legal

Not legal

Not legal

Not legal

The feature that matters is capacity: not over 10 rounds. Other features don't matter. Rimfires are not considered AW regardless of features, but the 10 round capacity limit applies to all firearms unless the magazines date from before the limitation was imposed. (2000 or so?)

Wrong. Now, not going into others aspects of the pistol/CF rifles... Use of > 10 rounds magazines, legally owned, are legal in a rimfire rifle. Period. Date of manufacture of the magazine DOES NOT MATTER. If you have a 100 round magazine, it is just as legal to use it as it is a 5 round magazine.

Ubermcoupe
05-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I know of no LEAs out there who equip their LEOs with .22s...

Not necessarily true. LC Action here in SJ sells .22ARs with >10 mags. Last LEO I ran into @ the range really advocated it because it was cheaper than shooting .223 and his kids could use it. Same setup as his duty rifle, from EOTECH to grip pod. :)

spdrcr
05-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Legal

Legal

Not legal WRONG

Not legal WRONG

Not legal WRONG

Your answers contradict your final statement.

All of those cases above pertaining to >10 rd mags are legal as long as you previously owned those magazines. You should edit your post.

G1500
05-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Incorrect,

Or am I over- thinking this?

Yes, way overthinking it. Go shoot your rimfire rifle without a BB.

MaHoTex is correct.

bohoki
05-17-2011, 11:12 AM
it seems rimfire rifles are not assault weapons

sendithit
05-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Not necessarily true. LC Action here in SJ sells .22ARs with >10 mags. Last LEO I ran into @ the range really advocated it because it was cheaper than shooting .223 and his kids could use it. Same setup as his duty rifle, from EOTECH to grip pod. :)

For training sure....but for official uniformed duty?

DNA
05-17-2011, 11:54 AM
For training sure....but for official uniformed duty?

Mostly li8kely for training and plinking. The 5.56 is for duty. ;)

Dan

Chris J
05-17-2011, 1:19 PM
OK, I didn't cover the possibility of the OP already having legal >10 rounders in hand. My assumption was that the OP was asking about purchases for the average person right now. Granted, there is no rule against simple possession of mags over 10 round capacity, but basically you can't buy them. The issue is covered in 12020. I'd love it to be otherwise, by the way.

Also did not mention that >10 round capacity does not apply to tubular mags, but that didn't seem relevant based on the hypothetical AR configuration.

Chris J
05-17-2011, 1:19 PM
Duplicate post -- sorry!