PDA

View Full Version : Konus Spotting Scopes

Mugwump
12-04-2006, 9:53 AM
I've been struggling with deciding on which spotting scope to purchase, I think I've nailed it down to:

1. Konus Konuspot-80 20-60x80mm, $179
2. KONUS KONUSPOT 20-60x100, $249

Does anyone have any specific knowledge regarding either? Is bigger better, or is it just too much. This will be used primarily for bench rest shooting, but I could see using it at 200-300 yard ranges as well. I've read mostly good reviews for these scopes, but I'm looking for reviews/opinions from other shooters.

I've been really torn on making this decision, specifically with deciding between Kowa, Konus, and Nikon. Please don't offer any other brands.

xenophobe
12-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Konus is a low-price line and both Kowa and Nikon have a cheap scope but they're higher end scopes, that's like asking if you should go shopping at Saks, K-Mart or JC Penny's.

If you're in the $200-$300 price range, you won't touch a new Kowa. And the Nikons for that price range... save your money and get something nicer. Nikon's low price range products are generally considered to be crap.

Since you don't want any other brand recommendations, I'll just leave you with...

At that price range you're better off with a pair of 12x binoculars.

ocabj
12-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I have yet to look through a Konus in actual use, but from what I understand you will be able to see 22cal holes at 200 yards on a decent day.

The Konus should work fine for high power, which is what most Konus owners use it for. I don't think you'd be using any scope for spotting bullet holes at 300. That's what spotting and scoring discs and pit service is for.

I have a Kowa 661. Great scope. I've looked through an 821 and I don't really see any difference other than the physical dimensions of the body of the scope. Image quality between the 661 and 821 are basically the same. I had no problems with my 661 at dusk on the 600 yard line.

30Cal
12-04-2006, 12:14 PM
The Konus pretty nice, especially when you consider the price.

The 100mm scope is fairly large and you'll need to mount it on some sort of carriage that you can tow behind your vehicle. I would go with the 80mm personally. The 100mm doesn't really buy you much more in shooting applications. At 300yds, the mirage will usually distort the image--if it's not cold and cloudy, you probably won't spot holes regardless of what scope you use.

At high magnification, the Konus image does look just a little purple (at least on the two 100mm's I've seen). Not to worry; anything more than 30X isn't doing anything for you anyhow. They don't offer a long eye relief eye-piece which is a negative in my book.

Ty

Mugwump
12-04-2006, 1:25 PM
[QUOTE=Since you don't want any other brand recommendations, I'll just leave you with...

At that price range you're better off with a pair of 12x binoculars.[/QUOTE]

All right, since I'm still torn, please offer 1 or 2 other brands.

:confused:

xenophobe
12-04-2006, 1:48 PM
Check out some offerings for Opitcron, Alpen and Celestron as well. Those get some decent reviews among the birders, who are a very picky bunch... However, if you can afford the Kowa, you absolutely can't go wrong with them.

If you want to really dig deep, also check out the Spotting Scope forum at:
http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=286

Mastersid
12-05-2006, 9:37 PM
Mugwump,
The Konus should work as a good entry level choice. Its main drawback is low eye relief which can be a disadvantage wearing glasses. You will have that with most, other than the Kowa. Google search Jim Owens. He sells Konus and will buy it back at price paid, for an upgrade to a Kowa. He donates the used Konus to junior competitors. Can't beat a deal like that. A friend decided to go Celestron instead but was not happy. lack of eye piece rotation I believe. Check out diferent stuff at the range! Sid

xenophobe
12-06-2006, 2:18 AM
Google search Jim Owens. He sells Konus and will buy it back at price paid, for an upgrade to a Kowa. He donates the used Konus to junior competitors. Can't beat a deal like that.

That's a good deal... The main reason why I would not recommend Konus is that they've been out for at least several years and not that they seem to get a bad review, just no real reviews or 'general consensus' on them and if they were exceptional for the price then you would hear a lot more about them. If this dealer will apply an unsatisfied Konus purchase price to the cost of a Kowa, then you can't really go wrong.

A friend decided to go Celestron instead but was not happy. lack of eye piece rotation I believe. Check out diferent stuff at the range! Sid

For bench use, you definitely need to get the angled eyepiece, or you'll be unhappy with almost any purchase, with the possible exception of a reflector which will provide a sharper image to a refractor of the same entry level price range. Mirrors are better than prisms at the lower cost points. Just make sure to try out the spotting scopes at 20x, or with a lower power eyepiece. Any more magnification is worthless as exit pupil and eye relief diminish making you force the view, which is not a good thing.

[/ramble]

Mugwump
12-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Mugwump,
The Konus should work as a good entry level choice.

No thanks, I'm moving up from an entry level scope I've had for years.

I thought I would be happy with the Konus, but it looks like I may be holding out for the Kowa. I'm thinking about buying an angled body now, and save up for the eye piece. Any recommendations?

anotherted
12-06-2006, 1:35 PM
Every time a thread like this comes up I throw in my .02................... and it always gets ignored:D

But, ill toss it in again....

Try the Nikon Sky&Earth Viewer 80mm angled. Its a great spotting scope for around $400.00 if i remember correctly. \

http://www.telescopes.com/products/nikon-20-60x80-spotting-scope-angled-body-with-eyepiece-227.html

Mastersid
12-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Before you rule out the Konus, check out The Owens site: http://www.jarheadtop.com
Prices have increased a little, but he still will allow $100 towards a Kowa. I looked through one at 300 yds and other than the short eye relief it looked pretty clear. For Bench rest shooting, speed is not as critical as High Power and it may suit your purpose. Also check out the Bushnell as well as the Nikon. Good hunting!

Mute
12-07-2006, 6:39 AM
Below $500 brand new, I haven't found anything that performs significantly better than the Konus. If you go above that price but below $1000 I'd stick with Kowa. Above that you're getting into premium glass territory.