PDA

View Full Version : Planing on getting my first AK. Any suggestions?

Zues
05-16-2011, 9:19 PM
I am looking for an ak. mainly in the classic configuration. I have about $400 right not but I am not looking at going over $750. Any suggestions on brand or whether I should get a 74 or 47? I know there is a caliber difference.
Thanks for any info a head of time

Thanks
Zues

RLTW
05-16-2011, 9:48 PM
Best advise is do your research on the subject and decide what best suits your requirements.

Caliber go 7.62. better knock down. 5.45 is cheaper

Here is a link on ammo:
http://www.ak-47.us/Ammunition.php

I reccommend Saiga and do a conversion, you'll enjoy it more knowing you built your rifle. If you don't want to do a conversion, buy an Aresnal alittle pricy but worth it.

I know the following have AKs:
Big5 carries IO inc Aks for about $600, reviews are not good then again things may have changed.
Turners has WASR's 10 (single stack) for around $400 if you go with the single you can just open up the mag well to accept double stack mags, and double for around $500.

Henderson Defense also caries AKs they will add a solar tactical mag lock to ship to Ca. They have good prices there as well.

Altantic Firearms has Aks that will ship to CA.

Good luck on your search and enjoy it... Don't worry.. whatever you buy.. you'll be buying something else in another few months.. Just pull the trigger and have fun. :gun_bandana:

bob7122
05-16-2011, 9:49 PM
wasr 10, saiga with conversion, or rebuilt kit. i say 47

Cruznegao
05-16-2011, 9:53 PM
I've been looking at the AKs also (would prefer an AR but the price diff is too much for the amount of shooting that I'll do) and was wondering if single and double make that much difference. Since we can only have 10 in the mag is it worth it the extra $?
Thanks

Zues
05-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Thank you RLTW.

Cruznegao
I've been looking at the AKs also (would prefer an AR but the price diff is too much for the amount of shooting that I'll do) and was wondering if single and double make that much difference. Since we can only have 10 in the mag is it worth it the extra $?
Thanks
I hear you about the AR. I want a double its just my preference. I would think that the single stack mags are harder to fine (Don't hold me to it as I do not know to much about it, I'm sher someone will step in and educate me if I'm wrong.) hope I did not wast your time

7.62 Charlie
05-16-2011, 10:11 PM
I would go with an AK74. Its hard to beat 1080 rounds for $139.95.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A54539R&name=Russian+5.45x39+53grn+FMJ+1080rd+Can&groupid=33

pyro3k2
05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
If you live in the southern part of the state with the ammo resrictions for with the 47, if you live in the norther part with no ammo restrictions get the 74.

the only AK to stay away from all together are the I.O. CASAR, America is known for making great firearms and this is not one of them. Which ever one you get either a 47 or a 74 just make sure they are foriegn made.

Zues
05-17-2011, 7:30 AM
I live in the central valley. Haven't herd of any ammo restrictions here. I have been thinking of getting the Polish Tantal ak 74 but I cant find anyone with one in stock where I'm at and places that have them on line won't ship them to ca cuz of the folding stock. now I thought if you had a BB it was fine to have a folding stock?

pyro3k2
05-17-2011, 7:44 AM
If you ever find yourself in the Fresno area check out PRK they usually have 1 or 2 Tantals in stock and normally around internet pricing on them.

blazeaglory
05-17-2011, 7:46 AM
I am looking for an ak. mainly in the classic configuration. I have about $400 right not but I am not looking at going over $750. Any suggestions on brand or whether I should get a 74 or 47? I know there is a caliber difference.
Thanks for any info a head of time

Thanks
Zues

if your going to get an AK go with 7.62. youll thank yourself once you fire it

greasemonkey
05-17-2011, 7:54 AM
For an AK, build your own under the guidance of The AK Team, link in my signature for the next build party. I've built a 47 rifle, going to do a 47 pistol and I'm getting a couple 74's to do next...shooting the 74 is dirt cheap, almost no recoil, great to plink with or take newbies shooting. So my advice would be to get whichever, 47 or 74, kit that you find available first, build it and plan on getting the other before too long.

straykiller
05-17-2011, 7:56 AM
best advice is buy a parts kit and attend a build partyy, the gun will mean alot more to you if you built it than just another one you bought

tujungatoes
05-17-2011, 7:57 AM
The best advice I can give you is stay away from the IO CASAR. They are serious bad news.

Beyond that it's all a matter of preference. Pick the look, and caliber you like best.

icefire
05-17-2011, 8:15 AM
I live in the central valley. Haven't herd of any ammo restrictions here. I have been thinking of getting the Polish Tantal ak 74 but I cant find anyone with one in stock where I'm at and places that have them on line won't ship them to ca cuz of the folding stock. now I thought if you had a BB it was fine to have a folding stock?

You CAN have a folding stock in CA, as long as your folded length is 30 inches. But, Most out of state vendors wont ship them in that way. You have to buy one they way they ship, then YOU add the folder. It's very easy...

Zues
05-17-2011, 9:04 AM
I would love to build one but do not really have the time. thank you everyone for the help and ideas.

greasemonkey
05-17-2011, 1:09 PM
I would love to build one but do not really have the time. thank you everyone for the help and ideas.

Some of the guys only took a day to finish theirs, the rest were a day & a half, Saturday/Sunday.

Tracy Rifle And Pistol or PRK in Fresno are both great shops for AK's.

Zues
05-17-2011, 4:33 PM
Is it any cheaper to build one?

pyro3k2
05-17-2011, 4:37 PM

When it comes to AK's it will always be cheaper to flat out buy one, people build them as hobbies or if you are just tired of dealing with Century arms QC bulls**t.

ZX-10R
05-17-2011, 6:00 PM
Save your money ($600) and find yourself a place where you can fondle as many WASRs possible. I say $600 so you can get the rifle and ammo.

tujungatoes
05-17-2011, 7:06 PM

It can be, but isn't always. It depends on what you want to build, and how good of a shopper you are. However I will say that it is WAY more fun to attend a build party, and build your own. Also you will have a complete understanding of how your rifle functions. Not to mention the instant gratification you get from not having to wait ten days.

Zues
05-17-2011, 7:14 PM
originally posted by tujungatoes
Not to mention the instant gratification you get from not having to wait ten days.
How is it you don't have to wait the 10 day waiting period?

tujungatoes
05-17-2011, 7:28 PM
When you manufacture the receiver yourself there is no need to transfer it through an FFL.

I'm guessing there's a question mark floating over your head right now. read this A tutorial for AK build parties. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=292985)

greasemonkey
05-17-2011, 8:50 PM
How is it you don't have to wait the 10 day waiting period?

Plus no $25 to the State for DROS, any sales tax paid is on the price of the parts kit and not on the value of the finished product. Make/model/serial # can be whatever you decide (within the ATF's guidelines). It ends up costing about the same or a little more to build your own but it's YOURS, it's a fun process and gives you a better understanding of how your rifle operates.

Los Banos isn't terribly far from where the build party is, I drive out that way for work now and then as some of our customers are over there. Come check it out on Saturday, Jun 25th and see what you think, then you can stop by PRK on your way home and see the awesome selection they have in stock.

Zues
05-17-2011, 9:32 PM
Originally Posted bygreasemonkey
It ends up costing about the same or a little more to build your own but it's YOURS, it's a fun process and gives you a better understanding of how your rifle operates.
I'm going to do more research but I am leaning towards building one now. I just got to see what I'm getting myself into and if I can have everything by the time you get together for that build party. It seems like it would be fun. just going in blind on this if I build it. hope I can get help along the way as I do not have any of the tools to do this.

greasemonkey
05-17-2011, 9:41 PM
I'm going to do more research but I am leaning towards building one now. I just got to see what I'm getting myself into and if I can have everything by the time you get together for that build party. It seems like it would be fun. just going in blind on this if I build it. hope I can get help along the way as I do not have any of the tools to do this.

Sounds good, you can't go wrong picking buying or building, the AK is a fun platform.

You don't need to show up with much more than some of the real basic hand tools and some dremel bits to give to someone in exchange for use of their dremel motor. The AK Team shows up with all the equipment/special tools necessary. The three links in the first post of the Build Party thread(link in signature) are good reads. The 'Gunsmithing & How To' sub-forum is where to poke around, search and ask questions.

Zues
05-17-2011, 9:59 PM
Thank you greasemonkey I will do all I can to have all this stuff before the build party. If I cant make it to this one will you be having more?

greasemonkey
05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Thank you greasemonkey I will do all I can to have all this stuff before the build party. If I cant make it to this one will you be having more?

Oh yeah, will be having more in the future so don't stress about getting parts in time for the June 25 BP. You may want to just come by the BP and check out what's going on, try shooting a couple of the helpers' toys and shop for a kit you really, really like.
The only thing you really need to be careful of is that building has been known to be habit forming (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=395969).