PDA

View Full Version : No longer dissapointed with my Tactical Solutions AR22 and ?

kgcabs
05-16-2011, 8:55 PM
Took my brand new AR22 LT to the range yesterday. Factory mags, Federal 550, Winchester HV and Federal Champion.

Pull the charge handle, first shot no problem. Second shot, every time, the bolt would not return into battery. I would manually push the bolt forward pull the trigger and the cartridge would fire.

Talked to TS tech support today and was told some left the factory "a little tight" and to stone the bolt carrier sides. Seems for $500 they should leave the factory perfect. I will call in the morning and talk to a supervisor.

My ?, if anyone has one of these uppers, does your bolt slide easily on your carrier rails? Mine takes a bit of force to get the bolt to slide even without the spring in place.

Thanks, Karl

motorwerks
05-16-2011, 9:35 PM
I would lube the snot out of it and try again. Maybe cycle it by hand for a few minutes, help it break in a little. You shouldn't have to stone it though.

Packy14
05-16-2011, 9:48 PM
I would lube it with militec or weaponshield, did you clean it/strip it before going to shoot? If not do that, relube nice and wet and try again. I've had no such problem.

davek8s
05-16-2011, 9:50 PM
Whenever I buy anything brand new, I lube it good then sit in front of the TV and cycle it till my hands are tired. Moving parts need a little time to break in. But I agree with Motorwerks, you shouldn't need to stone it.

stitchnicklas
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
clean and lube......

TurboChrisB
05-16-2011, 11:03 PM
This!

Whenever I buy anything brand new, I lube it good then sit in front of the TV and cycle it till my hands are tired. Moving parts need a little time to break in. But I agree with Motorwerks, you shouldn't need to stone it.

motorwerks
05-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I would lube it with militec god I LOVE miltec I use both the oil and the grease.

kgcabs
05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
I cleaned the entire bolt and carrier in an ultra sonic cleaner. Relubed with Lubriplate SFL-0 before going to the range.

I don't think any amount of hand cycling is going to loosen this bolt/carrier.

I will let you know what TS says.

Thanks for the responses.

Karl

Packy14
05-17-2011, 12:07 AM
I cleaned the entire bolt and carrier in an ultra sonic cleaner. Relubed with Lubriplate SFL-0 before going to the range.

I don't think any amount of hand cycling is going to loosen this bolt/carrier.

I will let you know what TS says.

Thanks for the responses.

Karl

I wouldn't use Lubriplate on the BC... its too thick; remember on the TS .22 upper there is no buffer spring pushing the BC back into battery, just a small spring in the BC itself, so all that grease is probably too much for it to overcome, so you aren't getting back into full battery. Clean off the grease and use a lubricating oil, I bet your problem will disappear. Grease is never a good idea inside an AR, save it for your handgun rails and M1A's.

nrakid88
05-17-2011, 12:34 AM

I actually do my break ins when I am sitting on the pot, bombing submarines. Try to get in at least 500 cycles.

SlushPup
05-17-2011, 12:44 AM
I have that same upper and was experiencing a jam as well. However, the type of jam I am getting may be different from what you are getting.

Look at this thread from ar15.com on "How to make your AR22 run smoother":

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=526872

That thread basically talks about polishing the bolt and cleaning the chamber.

I did what was outlined but was still having issues. I think my issue lies with my magazines not feeding correctly. I contacted Tactical Solutions and they inquired about when I purchased the mags; they figured I had some of the earliest ones made and they had me send in my mags in exchange for newer mags.

I have yet to test with the new mags. I hope too soon.

slushpup

pennys dad
05-17-2011, 6:50 AM
Stoning your rails isnt a bad idea, but I agree with you, they should have tested it before it left and identified the issue and should be just replacing the upper.

motorwerks
05-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Grease is never a good idea inside an AR, save it for your handgun rails and M1A's. My AR BCG's LOVE grease, just a little down each bearing surface and good to go. But thats just mine maybe I got lucky.

kgcabs
05-17-2011, 3:33 PM
My AR BCG's LOVE grease, just a little down each bearing surface and good to go. But thats just mine maybe I got lucky.

I guess I am lucky too with my 223 ARs. I do the same thing and never have any issues.

I thought perhaps the LP was a bit heavy so I did try just lubricating oil. Same problem.

I talked to TS. They are sending out a new bolt and carrier ASAP. They handled it perfectly. I will return mine and TS told me they would let me know the problem.

The bolt should slide smoothly/easily on the carrier.

I will update.

motorwerks
05-17-2011, 3:57 PM
Cool that how customer service should be!!!

shadow65
05-17-2011, 4:22 PM
Just a word of advice. Some guys like to take the bolts and carriers apart to clean them. I'm not familiar with the TS BCG but if it has a bolt and rails(which I know it does) it's very easy to get the rails out of spec. Once the rails are bent, it will cause all sorts of cycling issues.
Dave N

Packy14
05-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Lubriplate is fine for real AR bolts, they cycle back due to much stronger recoil and spring assist... I wouldn't do it on the AR 22 bolts. It does sound like something isn't right w/ yours but TS is great about CS, they'll take care of you.

Droppin Deuces
05-18-2011, 12:29 AM
I had the EXACT same thing happening to mine the last couple of times I took it to the range. Wouldn't ya know it, a drop of Militec on each rail and it ran like butter.

Shadow65, the units do not come apart the same way. The TS bolt is all machined and goes together like a puzzle, whereas the CMMG units are welded(or used to be). It's also odd that they suggest against taking them apart. I use to take mine apart and clean it thoroughly after every box of 500 rounds. I never had a single issue with it.

shadow65
05-18-2011, 6:52 AM
I had the EXACT same thing happening to mine the last couple of times I took it to the range. Wouldn't ya know it, a drop of Militec on each rail and it ran like butter.

Shadow65, the units do not come apart the same way. The TS bolt is all machined and goes together like a puzzle, whereas the CMMG units are welded(or used to be). It's also odd that they suggest against taking them apart. I use to take mine apart and clean it thoroughly after every box of 500 rounds. I never had a single issue with it.

The problem arose when guys were not careful taking them apart. I can take mine apart with no problem. But then I've done it many times and there is a method. You know how some just gorilla parts. Most of the returns for problems have bent rails where the kits were forced apart or back together.
The stainless is stronger and harder to bend.
I had a "nickel plated" kit that was very easy to bend. Lots of cycling issues.
Dave N

Droppin Deuces
05-18-2011, 9:26 AM
The problem arose when guys were not careful taking them apart. I can take mine apart with no problem. But then I've done it many times and there is a method. You know how some just gorilla parts. Most of the returns for problems have bent rails where the kits were forced apart or back together.
The stainless is stronger and harder to bend.
I had a "nickel plated" kit that was very easy to bend. Lots of cycling issues.
Dave N

I can see how that could happen. I guess I always assume that everyone is mechanically inclined.

shadow65
05-18-2011, 9:39 AM
I have found that when writing instructions for weapon care and maintenance, it needs to be on a 5th grade level.

OutkastSL
05-18-2011, 9:57 AM
I have found that when writing instructions for weapon care and maintenance, it needs to be on a 5th grade level.

sounds about right! haha

Droppin Deuces
05-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Ugh... That almost makes me ashamed to be part of the firearms community.

vega
05-18-2011, 10:49 PM
My ?, if anyone has one of these uppers, does your bolt slide easily on your carrier rails? Mine takes a bit of force to get the bolt to slide even without the spring in place.

Thanks, Karl
Mine does slide easily but had a different issue. I called Tacsol and talked with Lon Tuttle and took care of the issue. It is 100 % reliable now.

kgcabs
05-19-2011, 5:40 PM
Mine does slide easily but had a different issue. I called Tacsol and talked with Lon Tuttle and took care of the issue. It is 100 % reliable now.

What was your issue?

vega
05-19-2011, 9:55 PM
3 Burst fire, I changed the hammer spring with JP 3.5 lb reduced power spring like everyone else but it continue to give me the same problem. Then I read in one forum that TS change the height of the bolt so I called TS and talked with Lon. He sent me a new bare bolt which is 1mm higher and was instructed to put back the 4 lb factory hammer spring but that did not solve the problem. He sent me 3 new mags but it still continue to burst fire. Final option was sent the whole rifle in and got it back in 8 days and runs flawlessly, TS paid shipping both ways. Lon said he replaced the whole bolt assembly. I'm guessing the old firing pin might be a little tad longer than specs and was slam firing. Hope TS fix your issue.

Droppin Deuces
05-22-2011, 11:56 AM
OP, did you manage to get your problem solved?

shadow65
05-22-2011, 5:29 PM
Ugh... That almost makes me ashamed to be part of the firearms community.

I agree. It's those few that just cannot comprehend instructions that create the most problem.
CMMG .22 mags have two tabs on the back that need to be filed for a proper fit in the mag well. The instruction sheet should be included with every mag. I'm sure sometimes it doesn't get included but most of the time it is discarded.
The mags won't seat, get jammed, cause cycling problems.
Then I get an e-mail or IM about misfunction. "Did you fit the mags?" "Why no I didn't":rolleyes:

Sanderhawk
05-22-2011, 5:32 PM
I would think for $500 that I would take it back and have them fix it. A brand new gun shouldn`t be your problem. JMO.

kgcabs
05-22-2011, 10:39 PM
OP, did you manage to get your problem solved?
I did.

I received the replacement bolt/carrier on Friday. Bolt slid smooth as silk on the carrier right out of the box. Added a bit of oil to the carrier rails and headed to my range. First mag, two failures to fire. Same issue, bolt not going fully into battery.

Next mag and about 400 rounds thereafter of WW Federal 550....almost perfect!

Problem solved. This gun is a blast to shoot and very accurate. Thanks TS for handling this in such a timely manner and for some of the CGer's suggestions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kgcabs/100_4494chopped.jpg

cbt engr
07-13-2011, 7:31 PM
I tewked and reworked my bolt, firing pin was light striking, found the retaining pin was being bent by the firing pin, I removed the width of the retaining pin worth of material from rear of the notch in firing pin. Feed problems were caused by guide rod getting jammed crooked in bolt making it rub the upper, I used jewelers files to clearence the guide rod to free float in the bolt, cut two coils off buffer spring, relocated the o-ring behind the retaining clip stopped the tearing of the o-ring and buffers the shock on the clip...yes my clip flew off a few times. Runs as advertised now, all my lowers are not modified to run the upper, and it's not so ammo finicky.