PDA

View Full Version : Are you Right or Left eye Dominant?

vrejshah209
12-03-2006, 9:43 PM
Here's my problem, I'm left handed but my strong hand is my right ie. I throw a ball and such with my right and write with left. When shooting I grip right handed but can't figure out if I'm right or left eye Dominant. Any hints?

FatKatMatt
12-03-2006, 9:55 PM
I think there is some method you can use to figure out if you're left or right eye dominant but I don't know what it is. You can also shoot both eyes open if that works for you.

I'm right eye dominant, BTW.

C.G.
12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Here's my problem, I'm left handed but my strong hand is my right ie. I throw a ball and such with my right and write with left. When shooting I grip right handed but can't figure out if I'm right or left eye Dominant. Any hints?

You should read this, will tell you how to tell and what to do:
http://woolleyshooting.com/Articles/eye.html

quagmiles
12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
left handed - with rifle left eye dominant, with hand gun right eye dominant, shoot both left handed which is better than my girl friend who closes both eyes

NSR500
12-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Myself =
I would rate my Ambidexterity at 90%, with my Right hand as my prefered side because I can throw a ball righthanded and not look funny. ;)
I am left eye dominant and can shoot with my right hand and left hand with any type of weapon (Firearm, Bow, Crossbow, and Slingshot).
Here is a link you can use to determine your eye dominance: http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm

vrejshah209
12-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Thank you Guys, that helps.

xenophobe
12-03-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm left eye dominant, but I shoot right handed.

With pistols, I only shoot right handed. With rifles I am more comfortable shooting right handed, but slightly more accurate shooting left.

metalhead357
12-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Myself =
I would rate my Ambidexterity at 90%, with my Right hand as my prefered side because I can throw a ball righthanded and not look funny. ;)
I am left eye dominant and can shoot with my right hand and left hand with any type of weapon (Firearm, Bow, Crossbow, and Slingshot).
Here is a link you can use to determine your eye dominance: http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm

WOW! Here I thought I was the only one...I'd a just said ditto to yours but I would rate my overall at 75% as I still cant write left handed very well, can throw a ball but I think it still looks girlie. I've met soooo many peeps that have trouble going from a Automatic trans to a manual in that they are soooooo used to driving one handed (right hand) and thier left doin' nothing short of nothing but picking thier nose. GOTTA TRAIN PEEPS! Gotta Train BOTH sides if you're a believer in SHTF theology;)

But hey, good posts/links peeps:)

If it makes any of the one-siders feel better about thier defeciency... Iam color blind:p So there! We're even!!!!!

shonc99
12-04-2006, 5:32 AM
By far the easiest method I have found is to make a circle with one of your hands (either one will do) using your thumb and first finger. It should look like the universal 'OK'

Now, with both eyes open, find an object on the wall like a clock or other object that fits inside the hole your hand has created. Close one eye then open it a few times and then do the same with the other eye. When the object does NOT move, you know that you are using your dominant eye.

I myself am right eye dominant, shoot right handed but throw, catch, kick and write left handed. Guess that explains why I am not a pro athlete!!:D

chiefcrash
12-04-2006, 6:32 AM
i'm right eye dominant and shoot right handed. though i've trained myself to produce reasonable results when shooting left hand too...

to find your dominant eye:

STEP 1: Make a triangle with both of your hands by overlapping your thumbs and the top half of your fingers.
STEP 2: Extend your arms toward your target.
STEP 3: Look through the triangle at the target.
STEP 4: Keep your hand-triangle small enough so that only one eye can look through it up close.
STEP 5: Keep both eyes open.
STEP 6: Move your hands back to your face, still looking at the target through your hands. Whichever eye your hands gravitate toward is your dominant eye.
STEP 7: Double check by holding the triangle at arms distance again and closing your non-dominant eye. The target should remain centered in the opening.

tiger222
12-04-2006, 6:53 AM
gee - i don't feel so odd anymore! I am left eye dominant, shoot pistol left handed, but rifle right handed... I'm also left handed for writing.

naimad
12-04-2006, 8:09 AM
thats interesting i am left eye dominant right handed shoot rifles lefthanded. pistols right handed i thought i was the only one

naimad
12-04-2006, 8:11 AM
i'm right eye dominant and shoot right handed. though i've trained myself to produce reasonable results when shooting left hand too...

to find your dominant eye:

STEP 1: Make a triangle with both of your hands by overlapping your thumbs and the top half of your fingers.
STEP 2: Extend your arms toward your target.
STEP 3: Look through the triangle at the target.
STEP 4: Keep your hand-triangle small enough so that only one eye can look through it up close.
STEP 5: Keep both eyes open.
STEP 6: Move your hands back to your face, still looking at the target through your hands. Whichever eye your hands gravitate toward is your dominant eye.
STEP 7: Double check by holding the triangle at arms distance again and closing your non-dominant eye. The target should remain centered in the opening.
thats the same method i was shown seems to work good and very simple

Aluisious
12-04-2006, 8:17 AM
Right handed, left eye dominant, shoot rifles right handed.

I just switch my left eye "off" and use the right eye for long guns. I don't even have to close it. At least I have something working for me if I have to deal with cross-dominance.

I always seem to shoot my pistols a little to the left, though. About one inch per ten yards. Doesn't even matter what pistol I'm using, and it's very consistant.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-04-2006, 8:19 AM
Left eye dominate and shoot left handed.. but because of shooting PPC I can shoot handguns weakhanded almost as well as strong hand and I can shoot rifles close range weak side as well but not too good...

Fjold
12-04-2006, 8:31 AM
Left handed, left eye dominant. I shoot weak hand/weak eye with my rifles almost every time I go out shooting just for practice. With handguns I always use my left eye even if I'm shooting weak handed.

30Cal
12-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Left eye dominant. I learned to shoot right handed when I was.... well, my Dad knew I was left eye dominant when I enrolled in Kindergarten. I shot unimpressive smallbore scores in college and did fine in highpower out to 300yds, but always struggled at 600yds.

I got Lasik about three years ago and switched all my shooting to left hand. The first time I shot a highpower match left handed, I equalled my personal best score. I sold my right-handed coat that day and never looked back.

Ty

Hanniballs
12-04-2006, 3:33 PM
it appears im left eye dominant but shoot everything right handed..