PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Question (SPR Build)

Prc329
12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
I am turning my varmiter into a Spr type rifle. I am still waiting for my PRS Stock. I just ordered some rifle length YHM forarms (liked how they looked and the price YHM-9636). I have optics and plan on adding a timney trigger. I am doing this to a DPMS upper with a 20" bull barrel. I want to have it cut down to 18in. I want to stick with the 1x9 twist since I have about 500 rounds of 55 grain from when I had my mini-14.

This guy

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=805&cat=1647

Now here is my question. This barrel is a lot thicker then my M4 upper. I can't seem to find paperwork saying how thick but a tape measure says it is almost 1 inch. Adco is saying they will cut and thread a barrel with a standard 1/2x28 thread. So does that mean they will turn down my barrel to fit a "standard" flash hider like the Phantom 5C1? Or do I need to find a flash hider to fit the thicker barrel. I know the best bet will be to call adco, but I believe they are closed till tuesday.

Also, any other recommended places to do this work? Local to LA, Orange county?

Blacktail 8541
12-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Did you tell them it was a bull barrel? They have a charge listed for partial profileing ahead of the gas block. If the profileing is not done they may only do a taper cut to match up the diamiter of the flash hider.
Call ADCO and be specific as to what you want so that they can do the job correctly the first time to your expectations,at the price agreed appon.

Dump1567
12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I use Randall at http://www.ar15barrels.com/ for all my barrel work. Fast turn around & excellent work. Call or e-mail him your question. He's in your area.

Blacktail 8541
12-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I only know of Randall at AR15 Barrels.com that is close to you. CA based. He has a very good reputation.

PIRATE14
12-03-2006, 10:26 PM
You'd prob be better if you sell the Varmint upper and start from scratch.......if you turn barrels down and cut them, you might not get the performance you had before........my .02

bwiese
12-03-2006, 10:52 PM
For a reasonably competent gunsmith to do a decent job of turning & cutting (recrowning) a bbl, you're almost gonna be at the price of a new bbl (or significant fraction - hell, it might even run more.

Get an 18" bbl from someone like White Oak or CMMG or Randall at AR15Barrels.com .

In fact, CMMG has a chrome-lined one - and CMMG chromed bbls are known for really good accuracy.

Prc329
12-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Hmmmm. I have a lot to think about. Maybe I should just keep this upper as is and do a true SPR build after Christmas.

Fjold
12-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Ordering another upper is a lot easier plus it gives you something to put on your other OLL.

Prc329
12-04-2006, 10:29 AM
My original thought was :save a little money and mod this one". The more I think about it and reading this thread makes me realize that I might as well build one to my exact specifications hand picking the parts and just take my time building it. I guess I just get a little impatient when I want to buy/build something :)

Prc329
12-05-2006, 8:09 AM
Randall got back to me and I got some promising information to ponder. He says that I can keep my bull barrel profile and use a .308 flash hider. They are similar in diameter to my bull barrel. I don't need an exact replica of a SPR, just the general look. The price seems pretty dead on as well. Below my target.

Omega13device
12-05-2006, 9:06 AM
You know you want one...

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/large//SPRTS30.jpg

Dump1567
12-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Randalls a straight shooter. He re-did a project for me for free just because I wasn't happy with the look. Had nothing to do with the quality of the work. I'll continue to use him for all my barrrel needs.