PDA

View Full Version : ruger 10/22 FTF

big ron
05-16-2011, 3:17 PM
not happy with my new 10/22, I'm getting about 2 to 3 ftf's a mag, I have tried different brands of ammo. all with the same results. what should I do ?

TacticalPlinker
05-16-2011, 3:20 PM
Seeing as Ive had very few issues with my Ruger its hard to say but my guess are feeding issues but more likely the bolt and or firing pin. Are the ftf rounds showing signs of being hit by the firing pin?

sniper4usmc
05-16-2011, 3:20 PM
buysome aftermarket mags,Butler Creek

xibunkrlilkidsx
05-16-2011, 3:21 PM
how old is the gun. how many round fired through it. Is the hammer striking the primer? how hard is it hitting the primer? need a little more info.

TacticalPlinker
05-16-2011, 3:23 PM
buysome aftermarket mags,Butler Creek

If the rounds are misfeeding causing a ftf it could be a mag issue but Ive had less issues with factory mags then after market but try both and try more than one mag.

big ron
05-16-2011, 3:31 PM
this rifle is less then a year old and has maybe about 2 to 3 hundred rounds down the pipe. it's feeding fine from what I can tell. each round that does not go boom is hit by the firing pin. I have taken it apart and cleaned it. I haven't taken the FCG apart and clean it though.

Rock6.3
05-16-2011, 3:32 PM
Presuming that the magazine is fully inserted and clicked into place (not just stuck most of the way in) then please consider the following:

If the bolt is gunked up with all the paint flaking off the inside of the roof of the receiver it can prevent the round from properly and completely chambering = FTF

If the firing pin is gummed up from that same crud = FTF

If the bolt guide/spring is all gummed up from that same crud = FTF

Pull the bolt, clean it up, use a lube that is not subject to gumming (Lowes carries a Dupont Teflon Dry Wax product that makes 10/22's work great).

lineman66
05-16-2011, 3:35 PM
not happy with my new 10/22, I'm getting about 2 to 3 ftf's a mag, I have tried different brands of ammo. all with the same results. what should I do ?

Man that sucks... my newly acquired 10/22 has a little quirk too (front sight drifting off while shooting) but not as serious as FTF's or FTE's. BTW Ruger factory mags work well for me, and like others here have said, is the firing pin making good contact with the primer?

big ron
05-16-2011, 3:41 PM
the problem that I'm having is FAIL TO FIRE :p

lineman66
05-16-2011, 3:45 PM
Have you shot cci mini-mags through your 10/22? always go bang for me no matter the firearm.

loose_electron
05-16-2011, 3:51 PM
On the FTF bullets, what does the firing pin impression on the brass casing look like? Find any other 22 that fires well and look at the firing pin impression in the brass, compare that to the brass that FTF from your gun.

Are yours a lighter strike? (shallow impression in the brass)

Also, some 22 ammo will be less reliable. With bulk junk ammo, 1-2 FTF per several hundred rounds would not be too surprising.

Josh Smith
05-16-2011, 3:55 PM
Ron,

New to you, or brand new, no previous owner, sir?

Josh

big ron
05-16-2011, 3:56 PM
Have you shot cci mini-mags through your 10/22? always go bang for me no matter the firearm.

CCI :eek: same results

big ron
05-16-2011, 3:57 PM
Ron,

New to you, or brand new, no previous owner, sir?

Joshbrand new from turners.

Josh Smith
05-16-2011, 4:06 PM
brand new from turners.

New gun spaghetti spring syndrome. I've dealt with it on only a couple guns, but one was a Ruger 10/22 I bought the night before an Appleseed match. Talk about a mad dash around town looking for a spring!

Here's what it eventually got:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/RUGER/10-22/cID2/mID52/dID225

Performance pack: 32340

I highly recommend replacing all those springs. They're likely from a badly heat-treated batch.

I have found that, when Wolff Springs does not offer a standard or reduced-power spring, there's usually a good reason for it.

Please let us know how things go!

Josh

BSlacker
05-16-2011, 4:34 PM
When the firing pin is even with the rear of the bolt it should stick out the front headspace area .025 min to .035 max. The firing pin should stick out the rear of the bolt about .035 when at rest. If not check the little spring and stop if out of place it will bind and slow down and limit the pin.
Next see if there are any witness marks on the hammer and bolt rear to see where the hammer hits the bolt, you want the hammer to strike the upper part of the bolt rear not the lower part. You might put white grease on it to see the place it hits.
Headspace on a stock 10/22 will be around .045 to .047 much more and it can be a problem.
Of course the chamber must be clean and free. The leade must be correct and not engrave the bullet. Try dropping a unfired round in and tilting the rifle up the round should drop out. If the chamber is sticky and not dry the round will get a soft hit as it moves forward. Check by pushing the bolt handle forward each round. If it fires each time after a push then look for dirt or paint in the upper part of the receiver. The bolt not going all the way forward every time.
Go to Harbor Freight and get a dial indicator or PM me and I can meet you to measure the bolt.

Fate
05-16-2011, 6:21 PM
You aren't by chance shooting Remington ammo are you?

big ron
05-16-2011, 6:34 PM
tried it also, it was the worst :D

PewPewBob
05-16-2011, 7:12 PM
send it back to Ruger...

big ron
05-16-2011, 7:15 PM
send it back to Ruger...thats what I'm thinking, in my mind this thing should run sweet righ out of the box..............

PewPewBob
05-16-2011, 7:21 PM
thats what I'm thinking, in my mind this thing should run sweet righ out of the box..............

I agree, it should run right out of the box but since it's not i would not muck around with it just have it repaired by Ruger.

gmbrdilos
05-17-2011, 1:39 PM
Have you disassembled the mags for cleaning? If yes, did you reassemble them tightly? All issues I ever had with my 10/22 were magazine related.

big ron
05-17-2011, 7:38 PM
no I have not disassembled the mag and cleaned it.

Fate
05-18-2011, 9:59 AM
no I have not disassembled the mag and cleaned it.

5 minute fix. Get busy.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-10-22/38787-how-clean-adjust-10-22-rotary-mags.html

ek4_iFVoKdo

Corky43
05-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Mine does this occasionally. It is usually just junk on the bolt face. Try scraping the bolt face with a small screwdriver to get all the burn't powder off the face. also do the same for the barrel breech.

gunn
05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
IIRC, one issue with the new rugers is that the black finish of the receiver is not annozation but black paint. This paint flakes off in large chunks on the inside as the bolt cycles and could gunk things up.

Recommendations:
* disassemble the receiver and clean out the paint on the inside/top. some light sandpaper or some paintstripper will help (I preferred the sandpaper route as I didn't want to accidently have a drip strip the paint on the outside of the receiver.
* clean the bolt face
* consider trying a different ammo. I found remington golden bullets to cause more FTFs as they were dirtier (both after firing and out of the box as the bullet plating seemed to fleck off). 525 federal packs shoot great out of my gun so that's what I use almost exclusively.
* Join rimfirecentral.com and read up on this great platform for tinkering

-g

is really little more than black pain.