PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 ammo

jumbopanda
12-03-2006, 8:48 PM
Are the different brands of Russian 7.62x39 pretty much the same? Wolf seems to be the most popular, but what about other brands such as Barnaul, Silver Bear, Golden Tiger, etc.? Anyone tried them?

ATS76
12-03-2006, 8:52 PM
I have been using Silver Bear on my SKS and they are are fine. About $160 per 1,000 plus freight.

cornholio1
12-03-2006, 8:53 PM
Are the different brands of Russian 7.62x39 pretty much the same? Wolf seems to be the most popular, but what about other brands such as Barnaul, Silver Bear, Golden Tiger, etc.? Anyone tried them?

From what I understand Silver Bear is the same as Barnaul. Wolf is okay but the primers are harder and sit a little deeper than others (probabaly because of quality control). It will shoot fine in an AK or SKS. BrownBear or its upgraded sister Silver Bear is probabaly the best bang for the buck. I however am not sure BrownBear moved away from the laquer coating. The new Wolf has the new polymer coating. Any 7.62x39 is expensive. All work fine in Russian rifles, but there can be light primer strikes in US made stuff.

pacificcoast
12-03-2006, 9:18 PM
the zinc coating on the silver bear corrodes if left around long enough. thats the only downside.

quagmiles
12-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Iv'e been 100% with wolf and silver bear through a sks. im sure a lot of that has to do with the sks itself

neomentat
12-04-2006, 12:15 AM
i've been having some problems with the new Brownbear stuff, the case when ejecting sometimes goes down 15 feet, sometimes it barely pops out. and once in a while it gets stuck (shell barely pops up and the bolt will come back catching it which results in a jam), pisses me off. it seems like the prices for the 7.62x39 has gone up but the quality has gone down.

stator
12-04-2006, 7:47 AM
I shot both Wolf classic and Wolf polymer this weekend. Both shot fine with no FF's and accuracy was the same (SKS was used). However, the SKS threw the polymer out at about 2 o'clock while classic was thrown about 3 o'clock.

Really no difference other than no seal bullet for the polymer and that it extracts easier. The classic was purchased at Traders for $89/1000 several years ago. The polymer was recently purchased online for $160/1000. I'd much preferred the classic, price-wise, and should have bought more back then.