PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Upgrading 1911 Parts!

GundamCL
05-16-2011, 1:22 PM
I currently DROS'ed up a Springfield Loaded and now am wondering what parts to upgrade. Since the 1911 I picked up is used, I plan on changing the recoil spring to a Wilson Combat 18lb recoil spring. I also want to change out the Mainspring Housing as well. Does anyone know if I need to change the Mainspring as well? The 1911 also has the ILS Mainspring from Springfield.

Any advice on whether my upgrades are a good idea or if I need additional parts to make my upgrades work would be greatly appreciated!!

DArBad
05-16-2011, 1:27 PM
The stock hammer spring with the ILS is 28 lbs, which is quite heavy. Change it to the regular factory weight of 23 lbs. Might be a good idea too to replace and tune the sear spring, and change all the internals of the new MSH.

These are quite easy to do and has the potential of giving you a much improved trigger pull.

zdragon
05-16-2011, 1:27 PM
shoot it for 500rds of factory ball ammo first before swapping anything out if i were you.

GundamCL
05-16-2011, 1:32 PM
shoot it for 500rds of factory ball ammo first before swapping anything out if i were you.

The 1911 has about 1500 rounds through it already.

TMC
05-16-2011, 1:36 PM
18lb recoil spring is too heavy no matter what load you are going to shoot. 16lb is typical for a 45 a 14lb would be better for recoil and function.

The only difference between an ILS housing and a normal one is the little deal to lock the plunger and spring. Any after market housing it will fit fine and the factory spring, plunger and retaining pin plunger will work in the new housing. You will need to get the small pin that retains the mainspring in the housing.

+1 on the lighter mainspring.

Q619
05-16-2011, 2:02 PM
I'd go with a GI recoil guide/plug with a 16lb recoil spring, get either an Ed Brown or Wilson MSH (you'll want a lighter spring than what you've got as suggested), leave the sear spring alone (unless you know how to adjust it for the trigger reset/sear disengagement as well as adjusting it for tension on your grip safety), put a steel firing pin in there from Ed Brown (I believe EGW and John Harrison also make FP's for Springfield 1911's). Other than those minor upgrades, I'd get some good magazines (Wilson, Chip McCormick, Tripp).

CalTeacher
05-16-2011, 2:05 PM
Test the pistol out first before you go swapping out parts for the sake of swapping them out. You could make a perfectly reliable pistol into an unreliable parts project really fast if you jump the gun with this stuff.

GundamCL
05-16-2011, 2:12 PM
Test the pistol out first before you go swapping out parts for the sake of swapping them out. You could make a perfectly reliable pistol into an unreliable parts project really fast if you jump the gun with this stuff.

Understood. Probably will buy this stuff later when I get to test out the handgun. I will start out with some VZ grips.

Don the savage
05-16-2011, 2:16 PM
I changed the msh on my loaded to a smith and alexander. I was unaware the spring was that much heavier than a normal msh spring. I will be chugging that spring I guess since my trigger pull is heavier than my norinco I have done work on.

CalTeacher
05-16-2011, 2:22 PM
If it were me...and I realize it ain't...but if it were, i'd take the money for upgrades and use it to buy good mags and ammo.

IPSICK
05-16-2011, 2:23 PM
You guys are silly. As long as he retains factory spring weights for the recoil spring (or down to a 14lb as TMC recommends) and the mainspring (non-ILS factory spring weight), reliability should be fine.

*Factory weights for 1911's can be found on Wolff Springs website. Again make sure you get the factory weight spring for a regular mainspring housing if you replace the ILS msh.

GundamCL
05-16-2011, 2:24 PM
If it were me...and I realize it ain't...but if it were, i'd take the money for upgrades and use it to buy good mags and ammo.

I agree. I plan on getting some Winchester Ranger T-Series or Bonded 230 gr. for Self Defense. For magazines, I am still not too sure on what to get. I am thinking either Mec-Gar 8 rounders or maybe Tripp Research 8rders.

Paradiddle
I currently DROS'ed up a Springfield Loaded and now am wondering what parts to upgrade. Since the 1911 I picked up is used, I plan on changing the recoil spring to a Wilson Combat 18lb recoil spring. I also want to change out the Mainspring Housing as well. Does anyone know if I need to change the Mainspring as well? The 1911 also has the ILS Mainspring from Springfield.

Any advice on whether my upgrades are a good idea or if I need additional parts to make my upgrades work would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm curious why you don't shoot the heck out of it first - and then decide what you really need/want before you waste any money. PS - as far as mags go I really like Wilson.

IPSICK

These are relatively cheap upgrades.

IPSICK
05-16-2011, 2:27 PM
I agree. I plan on getting some Winchester Ranger T-Series or Bonded 230 gr. for Self Defense. For magazines, I am still not too sure on what to get. I am thinking either Mec-Gar 8 rounders or maybe Tripp Research 8rders.

I run Chip McCormick Power Mags in my TRP w/ no issues. They are the 10-rounders though, but I don't see why the 8-rounders would not be just as reliable. I've used the Tripps and for me they are only OK.

Can't buy anything here
05-16-2011, 2:36 PM
I use Chip 8 rounder Mags in my Kimber with no issue. Good advice here on the parrts..shoot it first..my Kimber is bone stock except for the grips and it will stay that way until a a part becomes an issue..

GundamCL
05-16-2011, 2:39 PM
I'm curious why you don't shoot the heck out of it first - and then decide what you really need/want before you waste any money. PS - as far as mags go I really like Wilson.

I originally was only going to get a new recoil spring, and try both the stock and new one at the range to save time. I recently learned about the ILS that Springfield has added to their 1911s.

IPSICK
05-16-2011, 4:08 PM
I originally was only going to get a new recoil spring, and try both the stock and new one at the range to save time. I recently learned about the ILS that Springfield has added to their 1911s.

So what are your reasons for replacing the ILS and the recoil spring?

razr
05-16-2011, 4:13 PM

+1 on this. Why would you want to change parts that are not broken? It wont add to the value of your gun.

GundamCL
05-16-2011, 4:42 PM
So what are your reasons for replacing the ILS and the recoil spring?

I was planning on replacing the recoil spring due to shooting another Calgunner's 1911 that had a heavier recoil spring. I had shot several 1911s that day and when I shot his, it had less felt recoil.

I am still on the fence on whether to replace the ILS or not. It would cost about 30 dollars to replace. I would like to not have another locking mechanism in the gun and I can replace the mainspring to the standard 23lb at the same time.

What I have read in this thread states that having a lighter recoil spring is better for recoil? That has me confused a bit.

IPSICK
05-16-2011, 4:47 PM
Yes, believe it or not a lighter recoil spring translates into less felt recoil but there is a limit you will hit before frame battering and slide timing become an issue.

I replaced the ILS on mine because I don't like having a non-standard part on my gun.

razr
05-16-2011, 4:50 PM
Don't tailor your spring for felt recoil, do it for reliable functioning. Slide/barrel return will improve by the lighter spring. Wrong spring, and the muzzle wont come back as readily to the target. Remember "soft is slow" You want to get that recoil cycle over with, so you can get to the next shot.

iareConfusE
05-16-2011, 4:56 PM
Only things I have changed on my SA Loaded:

ILS --> Fusion checkered MSH +19lb mainspring
16lb factory recoil spring --> 18lb Wilson Combat recoil spring (due to reliability)
SA 2 piece full length guide rod --> Wilson Combat 1 piece full length guide rod (No hex wrench needed for disassembly)

Josh Smith
05-16-2011, 5:15 PM
These are what I eventually ended up doing to my 1911, stock 1911 style:

1. First, shot it.

2. Removed stock military hammer and spur; installed beavertail grip safety (Brown) and Commander hammer (Colt)

3. Shot it.

4. Replaced the single-side safety with a Caspian Ambi (necessary; building a carry gun here and I'm a lefty. Caspian seems least likely to break/bind/whatnot).

5. Shot it.

6. Replaced the springs -- all of them -- with a Wilson kit and 18.5# recoil spring.

7. Shot it.

8. Installed a buffer, then shot the heck outta' it.

9. Shot it more, because buffers tend to make these malf. It hasn't yet.

10. EGW extractor. No need to give a reason here.

11. Shot it.

12. All MIM parts = gone.

13. Shot it, and boosted the trigger/hammer while i was at it.

14. Undercut the trigger guard a bit.

15. Yup... shot it.

16. Made up a bunch of ammo. Reloaded several thousand rounds.

17. Shot it, then changed the recoil spring.

18. Ordered a Super Speed Scabbard. Built more ammo while waiting.

19. Shot the heck out of it from the SSS.

20. Detail stripped it, cleaned it, checked for function, strapped it back on, ditched the Beretta, and have carried it since.

Tripp Cobra mags or 7rnd Wilson Combat #47 mags are essential for carry, IMO, and milsurp are awesome for ball and practice.

Josh

9mmepiphany
05-16-2011, 5:30 PM
Bear in mind that when you star swapping spring weights, you have to keep them (mainspring, recoil spring, mag spring) balanced to maintain the timing of the action...Wolfe has a good guide the last time I looked. Going to a heavier recoil spring without changing anything else will start causing mis-feeds and unduly batter the action (remember that there is both a rearward and forward motion to the recoil stroke)

I' a big believer in McCormick Power mags in 8 rounders and Metalform (w/round top followers) in the 7 rounders.

I really dislike any kind of FLGR, but it isn't any more pressing than the ILS...it you are going to change your mainspring, you mind as well change the MSH at the same time

Josh Smith
05-16-2011, 5:48 PM
Bear in mind that when you star swapping spring weights, you have to keep them (mainspring, recoil spring, mag spring) balanced to maintain the timing of the action...Wolfe has a good guide the last time I looked. Going to a heavier recoil spring without changing anything else will start causing mis-feeds and unduly batter the action (remember that there is both a rearward and forward motion to the recoil stroke)

I' a big believer in McCormick Power mags in 8 rounders and Metalform (w/round top followers) in the 7 rounders.

I really dislike any kind of FLGR, but it isn't any more pressing than the ILS...it you are going to change your mainspring, you mind as well change the MSH at the same time

I forgot... I did change the firing pin retaining plate to a square bottom. This is almost necessary, IMO, if you're going to go lower than 16# on the MS.

What you say is true about balancing spring weights. For example, if the mainspring is taken down to 21# or so, you'll need to move the recoil spring weight up.

Feeding problems work both ways. The MEUSOC 1911 uses 18.5# and even up to 21# springs, last I read. I've never run a dual-rate, but that may end up being the answer to all this.

That said, I've never been able to batter the top lugs with anything near a sane spring rate.

I do have to disagree with you about the Power Mags. I've seen them dump their loads on the tournament circuit, and have heard of this phenomena many more times than I've witnessed it. The plastic retainer at the bottom wears out and lets everything shoot out of the bottom.

Josh

GundamCL
05-16-2011, 5:48 PM
So if I switch the mainspring to the standard 23lbs, which is lighter than the 28lb ILS spring, do you think I will run into any issues?

Josh Smith
05-16-2011, 5:49 PM
Yes, you'll need to up your recoil spring weight. IIRC, Springfield uses a 14# factory spring, and you'll need to take it up to 16# (stock for most other Gov't size 1911s) or 18.5# (what I run). Though 21# probably wouldn't hurt anything, I see no reason to run that heavy.

Josh

GundamCL
05-16-2011, 6:20 PM
Yes, you'll need to up your recoil spring weight. IIRC, Springfield uses a 14# factory spring, and you'll need to take it up to 16# (stock for most other Gov't size 1911s) or 18.5# (what I run). Though 21# probably wouldn't hurt anything, I see no reason to run that heavy.

Josh

Did you notice any difference between going from the 16lb recoil spring to the 18.5lb recoil spring?

Josh Smith
05-16-2011, 6:33 PM
Yessir. Faster forward cycle time for one. That can be an issue if you shoot a lot -- I do.

Less than a week ago I was hunting morel mushrooms after a rain. Something gave way and I started sliding down a near-vertical slope, and got covered with mud.

I checked my 1911. Barrel was clear and all, and it cycled fine, but was a bit gritty.

Had I needed it, it would have worked. I'm not so sure it would have with the 16# spring. I've hung those up before.

As for recoil, it feels like a hard, fast push as opposed to a long, slow push. I personally like the sensation better, and the slide shooting forward actually gets it right back on target.

The whole top lug battering argument never made much sense to me. A Commander uses a 21# recoil spring (IIRC) and a lighter slide -- it shoots forward faster than an 18# equipped government, and yet doesn't batter the lugs. The Officer's cycles even faster with an even heavier recoil spring.

I'd be concerned about sear bounce before I would be about lug battering.

Josh

carnelianbay
05-16-2011, 10:36 PM
It may have already been said but see how it shoots first. Only change the springs if you have a reliability issue. If you have any FTF/FTE/slide lock issues on the last round then upgrade to Wilson Mags and an Ed Brown Slidestop.

redcliff
05-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Yessir. Faster forward cycle time for one. That can be an issue if you shoot a lot -- I do.

Less than a week ago I was hunting morel mushrooms after a rain. Something gave way and I started sliding down a near-vertical slope, and got covered with mud.

I checked my 1911. Barrel was clear and all, and it cycled fine, but was a bit gritty.

Had I needed it, it would have worked. I'm not so sure it would have with the 16# spring. I've hung those up before.

As for recoil, it feels like a hard, fast push as opposed to a long, slow push. I personally like the sensation better, and the slide shooting forward actually gets it right back on target.

The whole top lug battering argument never made much sense to me. A Commander uses a 21# recoil spring (IIRC) and a lighter slide -- it shoots forward faster than an 18# equipped government, and yet doesn't batter the lugs. The Officer's cycles even faster with an even heavier recoil spring.

I'd be concerned about sear bounce before I would be about lug battering.

Josh

Actually a stock spring for a Commander in .45acp is 18lbs. 38 super/9mm Commanders use 16lb's. I try to stay within two pounds of the recommended spring weights personally unless its strictly a game gun shooting special loads or compensated.

Josh Smith
05-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Cliff, you are right.

I was thinking about the Officer's I typed about in the next sentence.

Regardless, the idea is the same.

Josh

GundamCL
05-17-2011, 6:58 PM
I noticed that Wolff Springs make a special ILS compatible mainspring at 24lbs. Now I am not sure if I should switch the mainspring housing back to the original format.

I will probably decide on changing stuff after I shoot my 1911, but I am just planning upgrades right now.

IPSICK
05-17-2011, 11:14 PM
I find no advantages to the ILS.

camron882
05-18-2011, 7:15 AM
are these upgrades good for all 1911s or just SA...im getting a kimber and would like as little recoil as possible as well as a well working weapon...i love these threads, especially when i was going to ask the same things

Army
05-18-2011, 7:26 AM
Why did you buy a Loaded, when you planned on changing out all the stuff people put on their 1911's to make them...just like the Loaded. That was the whole point of Springfield offering the Loaded, so you bought all the "custom" stuff all ready to go.You should have bought a GI, then piled on all the custom parts to exactly what you wanted in the first place.Oh, and CMC mags are best for the money. I run 10 round Power Mags in all my 1911's.

GundamCL
05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Why did you buy a Loaded, when you planned on changing out all the stuff people put on their 1911's to make them...just like the Loaded. That was the whole point of Springfield offering the Loaded, so you bought all the "custom" stuff all ready to go.You should have bought a GI, then piled on all the custom parts to exactly what you wanted in the first place.Oh, and CMC mags are best for the money. I run 10 round Power Mags in all my 1911's.

As I have said in the thread, I only plan on replacing the ILS mainspring housing and the recoil spring. The ILS mainspring housing is standard in all Springfield 1911s made 2001 and newer. Since the handgun I DROS'ed is used, I plan on replacing the recoil spring. I haven't planned on changing anything that is in the Loaded model.