PDA

View Full Version : Need info/help with Disassembly/Reassembly on a Remington 514, ***(UPDATE) ***

BayAreaShooter
05-16-2011, 1:27 PM
Can anyone provide me a link or any information on a Remington 514? I need all the information that I can get about Disassembly/Reassembly and Disassembly/Reassembly of the bolt. Any other useful information about the gun would be appreciated as well.

Izzy43
05-16-2011, 2:48 PM
Can anyone provide me a link or any information on a Remington 514? I need all the information that I can get about Disassembly/Reassembly and Disassembly/Reassembly of the bolt. Any other useful information about the gun would be appreciated as well.

Here is a schematic of the rifle: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4290

Looks like you would remove #21 and #22 and the striker spring and firing pin would come out the back of the bolt. Be gentle and careful and the striker spring will probably be under tension and spring out at ya. Wear safety glasses and did I say BE GENTLE. If things don't come apart easily I suggest you squirt some CLP or other type of penetrating fluid in the bolt and wait a day. Good Luck.

BayAreaShooter
05-16-2011, 3:01 PM
Here is a schematic of the rifle: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4290

Looks like you would remove #21 and #22 and the striker spring and firing pin would come out the back of the bolt. Be gentle and careful and the striker spring will probably be under tension and spring out at ya. Wear safety glasses and did I say BE GENTLE. If things don't come apart easily I suggest you squirt some CLP or other type of penetrating fluid in the bolt and wait a day. Good Luck.

Yea I have been staring at those schematic's for a few days now but was hoping someone had a video so I can actually see what to do. Their is one video on youtube showing how to remove the ejector but thats it. Thank you for your help.

Izzy43
05-16-2011, 3:16 PM
According to the schematic and list of parts there doesn't appear to be anything other that #21 and #22 that could be holding that bolt together. Take some pics of the bolt (Both sides, top and bottom) and post here. Might help to see what else might have to be removed.

By the way, why do you think the bolt needs to be disassembled?

BayAreaShooter
05-16-2011, 3:54 PM
According to the schematic and list of parts there doesn't appear to be anything other that #21 and #22 that could be holding that bolt together. Take some pics of the bolt (Both sides, top and bottom) and post here. Might help to see what else might have to be removed.

By the way, why do you think the bolt needs to be disassembled?

I will not have the gun with me until the 10th so no pictures until then. I bought a used 514 and the bolt looks pretty gummed up. It could have been 50 years since its been cleaned so I would like to take it down and clean everything.

BayAreaShooter
06-11-2011, 9:14 PM
Well not to my surprise the gun looked like it had not been cleaned in 50 years. It looked like someone pored maple syrup in the receiver and bolt and let it sit for years. This thing was pretty bad and the bolt was not functioning easily. After I shot it and got home I decided to tackle the cleaning. I took the bolt out and it was so gummed up I decided it needed to come apart. It was actually one screw and everything came out besides #8-#13 on the schematics. After that the the barrel and receiver came off with one screw like a 10/22. I tried to take the barrel off the receiver but the screw (#2) would not budge and I was scratching it all up even through a towel so I will tackle that another time. All in all I am very happy with the gun. I adjusted the rear sight and all I have to do is drift the front sight. One of the best $100 I ever spent.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/images/schematics/Remington_514_schem.jpg