View Full Version : Modified 10 round AK magazine making top-loading easier.

12-03-2006, 4:34 PM
Modified 10 round AK magazine making top-loading easier. I cut a grove into the left side of the magazine body for a lever to help ease the loading of a fixed magazine in any AK. The lever is attached to the follower and when you press down on the lever, the follower moves with it. It will compress the spring and allow you to just drop the rounds into the top of the mag with more ease.

Here's the cut magazine body. I used a drill press to make the cuts. The drill bit should be slightly larger than the screw.

I found this scew set at Home Depot for $1.00.

I had to also modify the follower because it only held 5 rounds. I cut the bottom off of it, and now it'll hold 9. I couldn't cut anymore than that, because as you can see, the hole for the screw is pretty close to the edge.

Here's the finished product.

12-03-2006, 5:01 PM
That is awesome. Seriously, great work.

And since I am sure some people will want to know; was this a homebrew type of thing or are you planning on making them for sale?

12-03-2006, 5:25 PM
Very nice. good job

12-03-2006, 5:55 PM
What follower is that? Is that the standard 5-round follower?

12-03-2006, 6:25 PM

12-03-2006, 9:06 PM
This probably isint the right forum for it, but who cares right? If someone has those for sale let me know, I also need my Cal mag lock. (Isint this state wonderfull). I also have 2 questions, if the magazine is fixed are the underfolder stocks legal? I havent started my project as I am still waiting for some parts, but what kind of paint/finish do you use to paint the reciever? Will some regular flat black spray paint work or something more exotic with a teflon coat, just wondering thanks

12-03-2006, 9:25 PM
What follower is that? Is that the standard 5-round follower?

It used to be. I cut it down to hold more rounds. I forgot to mention that I cut the head off of the screw that's mounted on the outside of the magazine. That portion of the screw set only extends out 1/2 inch. It's not as comfortable as I thought. I need to switch it with one that's 3/4 inch. I also need to replace the aluminum screws with steel.

It's real easy to use. The trick is to pull the lever down just enough to load a couple of rounds at a time. They just drop right in.

I sent you a PM.

12-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I also have 2 questions, if the magazine is fixed are the underfolder stocks legal?

A fixed mag would allow you to have a collapsible/folding stock.

BUT, on the underfolders I have seen, when folded, the rifle is less than 30" total

A semiauto rifle that is less than 30" is also defined as an assault weapon.

Whether or not CA looks at length with the stock folded or not, I have heard conflicting reports. Federal looks at the length with the stock extended. But CA may not, and I would want to make sure before doing this.

12-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Nice Job! I was actually going to do the same to one of my HK91 Mags, but mine are too nice. I need to pick up a crappy 10rd to hack. lol...