PDA

View Full Version : Traffic stops and guns

USMC 82-86
05-15-2011, 6:10 PM
I would like to hear from LEO's about traffic stops and guns. I have always informed a officer at a traffic stop if I have my gun in the vehicle. I have also informed them is it is loaded or not. I say loaded or not because in S.C. we could carry it in the glove box loaded. If we had a CC naturally on our person.

I came from a shall issue state and had a CC permit. I have always felt comfortable informing the officer if I had a gun in the car. My question is what are your feelings as the one making the stop? Do you want to know? Am I better off not offering the info? I have nothing to hide but don't want to be in a situation where my gun may be seized because I was trying to do what I felt was right.

I transport my gun to and from the range in a legal manner. I just want to hear your feelings on the matter. Thanks

Jonathan Doe
05-15-2011, 7:13 PM
If you carry the guns legally, I don't have a problem with it.

If you tell me that you have unloaded guns in the trunk, and you are coming back from the range, I may talk with you about shooting and guns in general for a while. I am a competitive shooter, and I am always into discussion about long range accuracy and accurate guns.

A while back, I have talked to a IPSC shooter on a traffic stop and discussed about his gun and gear for a while. He was a nice guy, and I enjoyed talking about it.

Roddd
05-15-2011, 7:33 PM
Disclose it if you're asked. I'm sure you'll hear from others...on this forum about how the evil policemen want to take your guns but it's not true. SC is much different than CA but as long as you transport them legally, you have nothing to worry about. Semper Fi!

Falconis
05-15-2011, 8:33 PM
Despite some of the "experiences" from some other members here ... I've never taken or even inspected a gun from a person who legitimately could have it.

Then again the hours I work, I know none of the ranges are open either :)

rh3431
05-15-2011, 10:46 PM
disclose it and let the cop know its unloaded and legally belongs to you. Most cops will ask "do you have anything illegal or weapons in the car". At most the cop will detain you and run the gun to make sure who the owner is and let you go if everything checks out (at least that's what I do).

UFO hunter
05-16-2011, 12:03 AM
"do you have anything illegal or weapons in the car"

Really? I have lived in CA all my life and been pulled over by a cop maybe a dozen times, and I have NEVER heard a cop ask me if I have weapons in my car. It's always been "Do you know how fast you were going?" and "License Registration insurance please".

Maybe I'm just a non-threatening-looking type of guy? Dunno :shrug:

I'd say, if a cop doesn't ask you if you have guns, why bother bringing it up... he's just gonna write you a ticket, have you sign it and be off on his merry way. The fact that you have legally-owned, unloaded firearm in your trunk has nothing to do with anything.

Of course if for some reason he DOES ask you if you have guns, I guess you should either say nothing or tell the truth (I'm sure there will be equally good arguments for both courses of action)

cowboykenny
05-16-2011, 2:42 AM
The guy's I ask are the ones with cars covered in gun stickers or stuff in plain view. The folks who put them selfs out there.

Jonathan Doe
05-16-2011, 9:39 PM
I used to ask them if they had any firearms on them.